Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Game of Thrones; Season 6
Topic Started: Dec 3 2015, 07:21 PM (1,882 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The 'only 13 left' isn't absolutely in stone yet. The current 'maybe', yes, but it's not for sure.

I had to help out a friend in text conversations last night, too, about Bran's vision... She'd somehow missed that Jon was the baby, too, though they did that really helpful dissolve from the baby's face to Jon's... She didn't get the R+L equation...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jun 27 2016, 10:58 AM
The 'only 13 left' isn't absolutely in stone yet. The current 'maybe', yes, but it's not for sure.

I had to help out a friend in text conversations last night, too, about Bran's vision... She'd somehow missed that Jon was the baby, too, though they did that really helpful dissolve from the baby's face to Jon's... She didn't get the R+L equation...
I would love to see more than 13 episodes BUT I don't want to be greedy.

I just filled Ashley in on that part today. Her boyfriend thought that Ned was the father. Ewww... not that they haven't gone there before. :P

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
People always assume an 'Ice & Fire' Jon/Dany hook-up, but probably not if they're half-siblings...

I did misspeak with my confused friend briefly... she said 'so Jon is Dany's brother?' and I said 'nephew', but... nope. It was late, I was tired...

I want however long it takes to finish the story properly (and I trust DB & DBW to say 'when', and though HBO is like us and would be okay with more-more-more, it looks like they're gonna have the final word on it...). That it sounds like we'll only be getting 7 next year, though... that will incite some 'wah, I want more', I'm sure...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh. Wait. Aunt/nephew IS correct (reading comments under Sepinwall).

Rhaegar was Dany's brother, not father... Mad King's name was Aerys. Oops.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm confused. Or rather had forgotten that Dany had an older, dead brother.

I had always thought end game would be Dany/Jon = Fire and Ice. But fire and ice are united in Jon Snow.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
What the book-readers 'knew', but never had explicitly confirmed until last night is this:

Jon is not Ned's son.
Ned did not betray his marriage vows to Catelyn.

Rhaegar (brother of Dany and Viseryas, and son of the Mad King) kidnapped Lyanna Stark (Ned's sister) and (like out of so many Greek myths) a big ol' war was fought, and... anyway. Jon is the product of that, and Ned raised Jon to protect him.

When interviewing with GRRM for the gig, Benioff and Weiss were quizzed about Jon Snow's parentage. They answered correctly...

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
So do you think Rhaegar & Lyanna had a consensual relationship or was it outright kidnap and rape? I'm fuzzy on that part.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm fuzzy without research... my picture was that they had a consensual relationship at first, but then it turned sour, and he wouldn't let her go...? I don't know. But he was married to a Tyrell at the time, I think I saw someone say (so Jon would have been a bastard anyway...).

http://deadline.com/2016/06/game-of-thrones-season-6-finale-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-hbo-1201780242/

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://deadline.com/2016/06/game-of-thrones-season-6-finale-winds-of-winter-director-miguel-sapochnik-hbo-1201779877/

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
6X2 – Home

Scenes I hearted>>

• Bran walking, visiting the past. Sweet. Lyanna! Okay maybe we will get the Tower of Joy and some R+L=J.
• Meera looking out over the winterscape. Beautiful and also foreboding.
• Tyrion and the dragons. Wow. Loved that whole thing.
• Ghost. Needs a hug.
• Sansa and Brienne is gold. Hope they stay together. Loved Sansa’s face as Brienne gives her news…Arya the Tomboy.
• I loved the hug with Theon, his recap of his betryals, his remorse…but as soon as he said, “home.” Bleah. Not looking forward to ironborn crap.
• Jon, of course. So pretty.

Scenes I gritted my teeth or watched through my fingers. ( :P )

• Ramsay and Roose. Yes, he IS a mad dog. You don’t know that yet?
• Boy that was fast. Boom. Roose is dead. I thought you were way smarter than that…. Who was the House with them?
• Poor Walda…

• Hate blind Arya. And all that crap with the Faceless.

• Those who are dead will never die. Bah!

Random comments

• Cersei looks absolutely gorgeous. I’ve loved Lena Headey since Sarah Connor Chronicles. Ugh to the Mountain.
• However I’m least invested in King’s Landing after all this time. I never did understand the power the High Sparrow holds. (I don’t think he and his followers were in the first 3 books I read, maybe that’s why?)
• I thought the Nightswatch laid down their arms pretty damn quick when the Wildlings showed up. Pretty sharp contrast with Davos’ band of desperate men in Jon’s chamber.

Reading around…
• House Umber supports Ramsay, and that’s where Rickon is???
• People hate Ramsay more than Joffrey. Good. He is why I stopped reading….
• Apparently there’s debate about whether Jon warged into Ghost and wasn’t really dead…or the body was, but he wasn’t, or some various combo of the sitch. Hard to say when the Show has minimized the wolves in general and warging in particular.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
GRRM may do shit with warging and the wolf in the book. As presented on the show, I wouldn't hold too tightly to that interpretation... Melisandre tapped into something to bring him back.

There's just a wee bit in the iron islands. It's short, it's fine... Gotta be WAY condensed from the book...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I never did understand the power the High Sparrow holds. (I don’t think he and his followers were in the first 3 books I read, maybe that’s why?)
I didn't understand it, either. And I didn't find anyone explaining it in a way that made sense. It was the main reason I got so frustrated with the goings-on at Kings Landing.

Quote:

Hate blind Arya. And all that crap with the Faceless.
I had such hope for that storyline but it started to seem so silly.
Edited by bilki, Jun 29 2016, 10:57 AM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cross posted on Facebook for GoT friends not on Buzz. :-D

Watching E2 and E3 on back to back days made me realize once again how cool marathoning is.

• So my E2 gut was right…the Umbers have Rickon and Osha. NOOOOO Shaggydog is dead. Where is Nymeria? Another reason to hate the Faceless.
• Tyrion and Varys dealing with Mereen – kinda boring.
• Jon’s post death issues – really liked the conversation with Davos. Reminded me of the Angel themes. But, his Watch is ended? Yikes… How can he unite the North against the White Walkers and claim the Iron Throne?) if he doesn’t have the Night Watch + Wildlings as his power base?
• Tower of Joy – It was hard to “see” Ned in the young guy, who reminded me of someone---have to look him up. I don’t specifically recall Ned’s version of events vs what Bran witnessed (stabbed in the back) so that might be generating controversy from Bookwalkers
(Trying to recall… Rhaegar is Dany’s much older brother. Rhaegar’s wife was Oberyn’s sister… Gotta look at a detailed family tree again soon to get it all back in my mind. )
• The Small Council…ugh. The Queen of Thorns didn’t come off well, imo. They DO need to listen to Jamie and realize the petty messes in KL are small potatoes compared to matters around Westeros and across the sea. I think this might have made more sense in the book with a clearer picture of crazy Cersei. Right now, Cersei seems sorta justified in her feelings and actions…
• Still hate the High Sparrow, especially when he is talking sense. I hate when I have to grudgingly acknowledge good points by someone I dislike. :P Is he trying to get inside Tommen’s head? Uh oh.
• If Dany wasn’t the Queen of Dragons, I think she’d be one of my least favorite characters. Her stories are so slow and boring.
• Good point that Sam’s story doesn’t make sense timeline wise. (I forget. Sam isn't the actual biological father of little Sam, but a surrogate? Baby Sam is from the winter harem dude, Craster, Gilly’s dad, right? )

Reading Myles McNutt’s recap/reviews after each episode on the AV Club. He’s the film blogger guy who came up with the term sexposition based on the early GoT storytelling style with Littlefinger’s whores. Nice to see him moving up in the world.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Jun 29 2016, 10:56 AM
Quote:

I never did understand the power the High Sparrow holds. (I don’t think he and his followers were in the first 3 books I read, maybe that’s why?)
I didn't understand it, either. And I didn't find anyone explaining it in a way that made sense. It was the main reason I got so frustrated with the goings-on at Kings Landing.

Quote:

Hate blind Arya. And all that crap with the Faceless.
I had such hope for that storyline but it started to seem so silly.
:cheers1: GMTA

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Four directors next season (but they aren't saying who is doing which ones yet) - Taylor, Podeswa, Mylod, and new-to-GoT Matt Shakman...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/29/game-thrones-season-7

(Lots of good stuff linked at the bottom of this page, too..)

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Up to 6X4 now.

"Book Of The Stranger" Season 6 , Episode 4

This one was slow for me. There were some wonderful moments (Jon and Sansa, especially) but overall this didn’t engage me as much.

• Littlefinger. Not really interested in him. Never have been. And ugh to SweetRobin. This scene didn’t really seem to justify his inclusion on the canvas, except maybe the Vale knights getting sent North.
• Why is Yara so angry with Theon? Does she thnk he will get the Kingsmoot vote? Really? A guy who’s been gone all his life, and broken by Ramsay to boot?
• Osha went quick. You’d think Ramsay’s retainers and bannermen would be melting into the North after seeing so many examples of his quick murdering style. (And so really, goodbye Shaggy.  ) And what happened to “The North remembers!” ? I was really hoping that the Umbers weren't joining Ramsay. :-(
• Loved Brienne’s cold reporting of Stannis’ death to Davos and Mel. This is quite an eclectic group brought together. And…Davos didn’t know what happened to Shereen? Really? huh
• The whole Mereen mess cannot be saved by Tyrion. Ugh.
• This episode’s handling of the Small Council with Jamie and Cersei made more sense, with the “enemy of my enemy” bonding Olenna and Cersei a bit. But somehow I just don’t care about Margery, or Loras, or anyone at King’s Landing.
• Yes the High Sparrow IS trying to manipulate Tommen. What secret does Tommen tell Mumsy?
• The whole “rescue” of Dany by Daario and Jorah didn’t work for me. And neither did Dany’s magical Stormborn Fire Immunity. That’s not book canon. Oh well.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hurry up and watch "The Door" already, lol. :P

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have a dozen people griping at me at this point to get caught up. I hope y'all aren't building this up to the point I'll be massively disappointed. :P

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved this season! Granted I haven't watched the others and it's been 2 years since I read the books lol. Hubby has seasons 1-5 on DVDs so I'll be catching up soon!

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Door 6X5

I have a feeling this will be an unpopular opinion, but I really disliked this episode. Caveat – there are always some good things in a Got episode, but overall I felt like there was a little too much “being stupid” to make plot stuff happen.

1. Ary’s story
• Her motivation gets murkier (for me at least) as it becomes even less clear why she wants to be one of the Faceless if all they are are assassins for hire. Her questions about the Actress she’s to kill get shut down by Jaquen
• I don’t understand why The Waif dislikes Arya so much (which is clearly the intent) if she is “no one” already with no real selfish desires.
• The Bravosi play that twisted the story of Ned’s death felt off to me. The Lannisters were not well loved. Ned would be the tragic hero, not the buffoon. This version of the play is the one that would be done at KL for the Court, not the one done across the sea for average folks.

2. Sansa
• Should have just killed Littlefinger. She stated the case clearly. Either he is incredibly stupid (which has been not true) or he knew and didn’t care…
• I get that she is rallying the Stark banner and she does get to say the line “The North remembers” but why

3. Bran
• His stupid actions cause all the tragedy. Just seemed way too contrived. I know everyone is making a big deal about the “Hold the door” / Hodor synergry through the timeslip, but as McNutt alludes to in his review of the episode http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/game-thrones-finally-gets-iconic-tv-exclusive-trag-237168 , I’ve seen this kind of twist done before many times, and done better.
• What’s worse, the plotting was murky enough to add to questions while answering others in the “Lost-style” writing that so many fans came to despise.

I hope this doesn’t mean I’m going to be hatewatching this as it ends. :no:

PS > I left out Dany and Tyrion and Varys and Jorah. Whatever.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

• His stupid actions cause all the tragedy. Just seemed way too contrived.
Yeah, but he's a kid and he's curious. He does things he's not supposed to do, which is why he's no longer able to walk. I also liked how it played into the kids-having-more-responsibility-than-they're-ready-for aspect of the world.

Hodor was a good and faithful servant.

Knowing that the White Walkers are coming makes most of the other storylines feel irrelevant to me. That's my biggest frustration right now. I wish we were being shown how current character choices will have some kind of impact on the arrival of the White Walkers. Or, learning more about the past so it's like watching history repeat itself. It feels like we know so little about the WWs for having maybe only 13 episodes left.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Jul 2 2016, 10:59 AM
Quote:

• His stupid actions cause all the tragedy. Just seemed way too contrived.
Yeah, but he's a kid and he's curious. He does things he's not supposed to do, which is why he's no longer able to walk. I also liked how it played into the kids-having-more-responsibility-than-they're-ready-for aspect of the world.
Yes I agree they are connecting a theme of the kids not really being ready, or questioning if they are...except they have spent sooooo much time showing us how the kids are "getting ready." Jon on the Wall learning to be a military leader, Sansa at KL and with Littlefinger learning political machinations, Arya and the Faceless, apparently learning... to be a badass? :P . (Rickon with Osha and in the dungeon...what is he learning?) Rob wasn't ready, a cautionary tale for the others you'd think. I should have been more specific and noted the multiple stupid things in Bran's plot aren't just due to Bran entering the Dream alone:

-The Three Eyed Raven knows stuff...maybe the future? Yet he's clueless that Bran is gonna explore on his own, and does NOT give Bran proper instruction about who can see him in the visions (The Night King!) and that he can't let the Night King touch him. Frodo KNEW and was warned about putting on the One Ring. Bran's plot should have contained those warnings, and then developed a REASON why he might want to/need to explore anyway. This kind of plot makes me swing back to thinking GRRM's role in the original stories and ongoing seasons may be more essential than people think. D&D may not be able to get from A to B to Z just knowing major plot points, as cool as it is to see those major points being reached.
-Worse...Bran wakes up after the Night King touches him...the Three Eyed Raven dumps some expository news, "He knows where we are!!!!" dum dum DUM!!!! and then they both go back to Dreaming??? WTF. Has it been established the Dream can pull them into it unwillingly?

Quote:

Hodor was a good and faithful servant.
Yes he was, which is why he deserved a better run up to his death. It should have been more fatalistic, more clearly inevitable and inescapable, and could have been written that way. Two tweaks and I can do it myself, never mind all the fanfic. 1) The Night King could have been shown in a scene or two (even in earlier episodes) clearly TRACKING Bran. 2) If you want the scene with Bran and TNK confrontation anyway, have Bran enter the Dream to find out how close TNK is, only to be horrified that he's really really close already. grrrr

I do love the idea that Hodor has known, all his life, what his fate would be, and went willingly into it. This is the true power of the scene, tragic and glorious, that has most people forgiving the weak leadup.

Quote:

Knowing that the White Walkers are coming makes most of the other storylines feel irrelevant to me. That's my biggest frustration right now. I wish we were being shown how current character choices will have some kind of impact on the arrival of the White Walkers. Or, learning more about the past so it's like watching history repeat itself. It feels like we know so little about the WWs for having maybe only 13 episodes left.
Big big agree to this. Especially the whole KL mess. It would be so satisfying if Jaime, at least, was a little more self aware and aware of the bigger picture. I dunno if I am "going Disney" but it feels organic and logical that he would be in KL for that purpose. He could be getting frustrated with the High Sparrow and those political messes not just because of the impact on his family but also because he sees the underlying threat. He should be the one player at KL who represents us, the viewer, seeing the futility of the Game at KL in the long run. I didn't read Jaime's adventures in the Riverlands with Brienne, so I'm not sure how much he's diverged from his original story (a lot, I understand). Is the plot sending him there now, in a bit of a flip? This is one of the elements I am hoping is addressed if not resolved as this season ends.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

The Three Eyed Raven knows stuff...maybe the future? Yet he's clueless that Bran is gonna explore on his own, and does NOT give Bran proper instruction about who can see him in the visions (The Night King!) and that he can't let the Night King touch him. Frodo KNEW and was warned about putting on the One Ring. Bran's plot should have contained those warnings, and then developed a REASON why he might want to/need to explore anyway.
I agree. It was silly that the 3-E Raven didn't explain to Bran why it was so important that he didn't go wandering off into the dream state on his own like that. Or why he shouldn't get close enough to come into contact with TNK. The way it played out made me wonder if the 3-E Raven was so ready to pass the torch to Bran that he didn't care how it all went down but the show never said or did anything to support that. Just me trying to fill in the blanks.

It does feel like the show is more concerned with the spectacle of it all rather than telling us a well thought out story. And if we only have 13 episodes left, it seems like we should know more about the White Walkers. Makes me think it will all build up to a couple big battles that may not have compelling reasons to explain them.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Blood Of My Blood" 6X6

•Margery – What “game” is she playing? Is she honestly supporting the Sparrow? Using Tommen to escape the Sparrow? Thinking she can control the Sparrow thru Tommen? Or is she broken, like Theon, and manipulated by the Sparrow, and maybe underestimated by him? I dunno, and actually not sure I care. I kept wanting to move on to other stories. Usually, I might groan when the POV changes from one location/story to another, but also usually I am pretty quickly engaged in the new one. Not here. Ugh.

•The confrontation on the steps of the Sept between Jaime and the Kingsguard and the High Sparrow as Margery is (supposedly) about to do the walk of shame……largely unsatisfying. I can only hope the scene is a setup for a later, more satisfying version of this confrontation.

•So, NOW Jaime’s off to the Riverlands. To what purpose? To shore up the Freys? Really? I cannot remember who Edmure is. Too much on the canvas. More ugh…
oAhhh, Tobias Menzies – the psychopath from Outlander. Still no recollection. Yikes.

•Everything about Sam’s story was win win win! Loved it. Except for a nagging concern that there is just not enough time for him to become a maester and help Jon, so what is his ultimate fate? Is he another Hodor?

•I was also happy with Arya’s story. She decides not to kill the actress (does the Waif?) and retrieves Sting – good! But why does she return to the Faceless then? Better to just book on out of Braavos.

•Cool scene with Dany on Drogon rallying the Dothroki. But hearing they need 1000 ships right after the Ironborn are charged with building a 1000 ships – eh, seems like anvils dropping. Plus, I really don’t want Dothraki fighting alongside Ironborn. Nooooo….
o And my mind wanders to thinking about how LONG it will take to build a fleet. Years and years it seems like… I’m no navy expert, so maybe not?

•Bran meets ColdHands. Of course it’s Benjen. Somehow I wasn’t as excited as I should have been. A story delayed too long? Ah well…
o Are fans slowing down and analyzing Bran’s visions? Yep>>>>
http://www.mtv.com/news/2886738/bran-stark-season-6-visions-mad-king-wildfire/
o ETA after reading recaps – ah…Aerys the Mad King and that backstory…Jaime’s version is confirmed…

•Ah… McNutt agrees with fans - Lady Stoneheart is STILL possible, and more likely in THIS season than last...>>> Frey mentions the Brotherhood; Jaime and Brienne going to the Riverlands; Coldhands shows how dropped characters can return…

This was definitely a “moving pieces into place” episode, which is always problematic. Overall, I like the direction things are moving, and it’s great to have some movement forward….

Edited by KMInfinity, Jul 3 2016, 09:54 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Needle, not Sting.

Margaery was not broken by the High Sparrow, but he and Tommen bought it...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jul 4 2016, 11:50 AM
Needle, not Sting.
:fall:

Quote:

Margaery was not broken by the High Sparrow, but he and Tommen bought it...
So you think she's faking? Whups. N/m you probably already know. Don't answer!
Edited by KMInfinity, Jul 4 2016, 04:06 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll just say that at that point in time, I strongly SUSPECTED that she was faking...

Anxious to read your thoughts on #7. My beloved Al Swearengen and soon-to-be Wednesday is a much-appreciated special guest...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
whoah! Didn't know Ian McShane joined the cast. Yay!

I was gonna watch 607 today but there was just too much work. Plastering and sanding took longer than I thought (and more put of me than I expected) and so today was primer day. Tomorrow for sure. I need to rest up some.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jul 4 2016, 11:50 AM
Needle, not Sting.
Ohhhhhhh. I wondered what KMI was talking about, lol.

Quote:

My beloved Al Swearengen
That's funny that it took me this long to figure out why he was so familiar.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Remember the whole pre-season thing where McShane was giving interviews and perhaps speaking a bit more spoilery than he ought to have, and also kinda dismissed the show as being, you know, 'just tits and dragons, innit?'

I love him.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: