Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Good Wife; Season 7
Topic Started: Oct 5 2015, 06:02 PM (2,479 Views)
tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just watch for cheap entertainment, to be honest. I also loved JDM although I also didn't want Alicia to end up choosing him. I don't need to see her have another love interest, especially not one that reminds me too much of Peter.

That said, I don't know if I mentioned this before but my theory is that Peter/Alicia truly reuniting is the end game, I think.

I also really like Margo Martindale. She plays her character very well. It's always the same character but she does it well.

Here's the thing: I like all of the actors quite a lot. I don't necessarily enjoy all of the characters. Or the plots. Remember that I've only watched the last couple of seasons with maybe a random partial episode from earlier seasons. I really disliked Will and had an extremely hard time imagining Alicia being even tempted by him.

I like Canning but that's pretty much entirely because I really like MJF and am sorry that his series didn't get past the first season. He's charming, even when he's playing evil. I am glad that Howard Lyman was less the incompetent senile old man for just a bit, getting in some good digs against Cary. I like Cary ok, but he seems to have exactly 2 expressions, one of which is a bemused smirk. David Lee is easy to hate, which is his real function on the show.

A lot feels contrived and artificial. Alicia needed to choose Amanda as her investigator as a substitute for Kalinda but then Amanda had to be shown to be not Kalinda so Alicia could go with the hunky enigmatic older male detective who may be double crossing her.

I am ok with all of the machinations for plot. I just can see them very well. Which makes me think that I'm intended to see them because I'm not that clever.

I miss seeing Diane and miss seeing Diane and Alicia on the same side. Don't miss Alicia's son at all. Her daughter is great but there is no way she came from Alicia/Peter.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, but wasn't that the film that Eli was watching obsessively?

I rarely like horror films.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Oct 20 2015, 06:38 PM
Looked more genuine than not... Howard lucked out with Jackie's connection and brought in a big client... but he was interested in her immediately, so I didn't see it as his 'using' her, at all... That she helped him was a bonus.
I also think it was Jackie's way of being in any kind of relationship: trading connections and using her ability to do so as power. It's something she knows she can bring to the table.

I kind of like this older romance, to be honest. I don't like Jackie. I don't like Howard much. But still, I can't help but think it's kind of great that he's sticking it to the younger guns, even a little.

Of course they are right. He should take emeritus status. He is much more a liability than an asset. In real life, I'd be right on board with getting rid of him. But this is entertainment, so I can enjoy the pokes.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Matt didn't recognize Ron Raines until I insisted it was him. I might have missed it at first without your keen eyes, Dax.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I also am not a fan of the disconnect. I miss seeing Diane. Yes, we see her but not enough. Eli seems headed for a serious fall. I could do without the NSA stuff all day long. Big agree that it makes no sense that Peter would have rigged the election. I like Margo's character well enough but the actress is always better in smaller doses. It isn't that what she does isn't good--it is but it's only the one thing and well, too much is just not good. I'm satisfied with the amount we see her. Would like to see Luca become a more fully realized character instead of being Alicia's only friend and side kick.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Chris Noth just turned 61.

Yeah, Peter isn't acting like a Democrat by any means. Re: JFK/Jackie references. Both Peter and Alicia are very attractive and Alicia could be reminiscent of a young Jackie O, strictly on looks. Earlier they were making a much more heavy handed connection between the Floricks and the Obamas, so aside from very attractive couple, and both the wives are lawyers, not much resemblance.

As odd as it seems, I like Peter at least as much as I like Alicia. The extent to which I like Alicia is almost entirely tied to how much I like Julianna Margulies but then, the only real reason I like Peter is because I like Chris Noth.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Can someone remind me: Does The Good Wife end after this season?

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am also worried about Eli.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really and truly disliked Will and hated Alicia/Will. He's dead and it's always easy to see/remember only the good and not the bad when someone you loved or thought you loved is dead. But he was a lousy human being, imo.

I still think that a Alicia and Peter reunion is the long game.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Marissa is by far my favorite character. It has always seemed a bit artificial--and unfair that Grace was such an important and even integral 'employee,' and good to see Alicia move back to being a mother instead of a neglectful boss. I think this is just a way to get Marissa on working with Alicia. Alicia badly needs someone not afraid to tell her the truth and call her on her shit.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, of course, Alicia changed when Marissa brought up her dad. She is still very much reeling over the revelation that she and Will could have had a happily ever after and that Eli prevented that. Of course, I don't believe that at all. I think Will was a slimy POS bastard cold hearted snake who would have been far worse to and for Alicia than Peter, who I think actually does love her, even if he is a big asshole. Will made my skin crawl. I admit that I like Peter a little bit because I like Chris Noth a lot.

Alicia will come around and while she may not forgive Eli (probably, she will, even if she never really trusts him again), I don't think she will continue to hold it against Marissa.

If this is the last season, I think the show is heading to the resolution I've thought it would all along. Keep in mind that I've only watched some of the series and not all of it.
Edited by tgir, Jan 18 2016, 02:59 PM.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought her first love was Will. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think Ruth gave her very good advice. I think that we leave relationships and people for a reason. It can be extremely painful and we can tend to romanticize that person and that relationship but the reality is that people break up for reasons. It's easy to remember the warm and fuzzy feelings, the excitement, the passion---and forget about all of the things that were wrong.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I do think that. There have been a number of times when Alicia was obviously comforted by something that Peter did. She hasn't forgiven him; she doesn't trust him. But she loves him deep down, all covered up by pain and betrayal but it's there. And part of what she loves and needs is that he is powerful and will fix things for her.

This is absolutely not a feminist show.

And of course, none of this would fly in real life.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jan 18 2016, 08:07 PM
No it isn't a femnist show for sure. I was under the impression that will was a very serious relationship in school. At least it sounded that way to me when she was talking
Keep in mind that I haven't watched from the beginning, but I thought she was talking about Will.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think the show is called The Good Wife for a reason. A good wife is loyal, and forgiving. I also truly believe that there is a lot of love between Alicia and Peter, even if Alicia isn't ready to acknowledge it or risk acknowledging it. She hasn't forgiven. I can see why. But she was sooooo angry about Peter's latest--that wasn't just pragmatism. She had no problem having her own affair and fling. I think it was less about love than it was about looking for that early what if with Peter, trying a more casual something to erase her pain and loneliness, but not actual real love. I think that none of this ressembles real life. It's much more tv storytelling convention.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It also occurred to me that perhaps something happens to Peter: he is seriously injured, or very ill or perhaps even dies. Alicia is the ultimate good wife and faithfully returns to his side, shouldering (whatever there is to shoulder).

Mad speculation of course.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Eh, I like Diane. I like Alicia. Not sure about Luca. She's got a pretty up tight hair style which is in stark contrast with her not so uptight personality. I understand that may be the contrast they are going for but it seems like a miss, which is unfortunate. I want to invest but I'm not investing...

I really don't care about Cary. He always looks too....smug. It's not appealing. Prison didn't change him enough.

I like Eli. I like Marissa. I like Peter in a way and think he's far from the baddest person on the show.

The stuff with the corrupt judge has dragged on too long and isn't interesting.. I could see him shooting Alicia, actually. Or having her killed.

I hadn't thought of Alicia being killed off but that's an interesting theory.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Feb 1 2016, 05:20 PM
I have never liked Cary, smog is a good description of him and smirkey...

If Alicia hates her apartment so much which by the way is probably nicer than 90% of the ones that people have to live in why isn't she go down and live in the mansion with Peter. That's another thing that bugs me about this storyline they are never together except when he's running for something. Now he's not so how about a divorce?
She's lonely in the apartment so she hates it. She liked her nice house and married life until that all fell apart and now she's trying to do the whole independent career woman thing and sometimes she's lonely and it's hard. Plus the condo board.

Plus she has set designers. Which is why her apartment always looks so good.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Feb 1 2016, 06:02 PM
The other thing I will say is that Alicia sure has some expensive clothing for someone who reportedly doesn't have that much money. Those designer suits or thousands of dollars. And the partner dresses pretty sharp too the necklace she Helen and yesterday's episode is a designer that I recognize and probably goes for about $1,000
Alicia has wardrobe and makeup. Also her husband is surely wealthy. The law firm is in the red. She's not.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Marissa has become my favorite character by far. I confess that I expected more from Diane and Cary than to put the two new black associates together, insisting that they'd like each other.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It seems weid that there are only 3 left. Or am I wrong about that?

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good. I thought I had seen 3 and that seemed way abrupt.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Keep in mind that I didn't start watching until waaaaaaay late into the series.

I'm not all: Peter cheated! and did her wrong! as Alicia certainly has had her share of affairs as well, although apparently, Peter was first and most frequent and most importantly, was caught in a very public way.

Alicia/ the show's title and premise is The Good Wife. And now, as time has progressed, we are seeing Alicia as not being so 'good' as in sexually faithful/relegated to being supportive wife and mother plus perfect lawyer/law partner.

The question is: can someone be 'good' and still be: sexual in a big way? be not faithful in terms of sexual fidelity? be a real, flawed human? Can that someone still be a 'good wife?'

My take is that Alicia is becoming more ' flawed' and more 'like Peter' and more willing to admit her own needs-career/personal/sexual than she was when she was relegated to being simple a role: 'the good wife' and presumable 'the good mother' although her role as good mother is not being seriously questioned here.

I think in the end, this is still the end game: Alicia and Peter together again. Frankly, I don't understand how the show has been about Alicia being a good wife and standing by her man, if only on ceremonial occasions all of these years. It's a premise that still makes me a bit sick.

I don't think that Alicia and/or Jason are too old to have a vigorous sex life or to have that sex life depicted on screen but I don't need to see anybody's sex life actually depicted or shown on screen to realize that these two people are having sex and enjoying it. I am wondering if Alicia's little fun in the restaurant/bar/whatever a couple of weeks ago will come back and bite her as it becomes public.

Mostly, I have genuinely missed Diane this season. A lot. A lot a lot.

Also the whole thing with defending/protecting the drug dealer/Cary goes to jail and oops! he's out again and now Kalinda has to disappear was genuine shark jumping.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't give a rat's ass about the supposed grudge between JM and AP. If JM drove AP away, then shame on both of them and the show but I am not so naive to believe that we know what happened in any way.

Alicia's kids are grown and becoming more independent: she's not sure she knows or likes them anymore, which is about right. So it is time for Alicia to re-set her priorities and re-discover herself, as trite as that sounds--and is.

But: Alicia isn't very interesting. Or genuine. She's all about middle class suppression in a fairly ordinary way. Diane is interesting. Kalinda was interesting--so long as she was only on the show in a limited way. Probably Diane as well. Peter is the most interesting man on the show and how often do we see him? Exactly..Marissa is more interesting than anyone else and we see her very little. Which is why we find her interesting.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The show should not have tolerated that sort of behavior. Period.

Re: parents/kids. There just comes a time when kids are mostly grown and sometimes it's just not pretty for a year or two --or five or ten. I like my kids. Sometimes want to wring a neck or shake some sense into them but-- they are actually all good people. Nor perfect. Not necessarily doing what *I* would pick out for them but that's ok. I raised people not robots. But I totally got what Alicia was saying--and it really is the -*right* time to have that moment.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Mar 29 2016, 01:45 PM
In this vein of staying with a person who cheats on you there is like massive number of divorces that I have heard of articulate out here and the reason seems to be cheating spouses. I talked to a number of people at my gym and my husband does as well although I think the women are more forthright about things and sometimes of woman who you know only casually but see on a regular basis like at the gym or in some class will tell you things that you wouldn't expect except from a close friend. In any case what seems to go on is somebody is cheating and it's usually the guy however not always. The women here are for the most part very fit and our Gym Rats and they keep themselves looking very sexy and hot but in the meantime their husbands are complaining that they don't want sex at least with their husbands. So the husbands go and have an affair almost always with a younger woman and then bam there's a divorce. I see this mostly happening to people in their fifties and I don't know if it's some sort of midlife crisis or the fact that the children are now grown and in college or even out of college and the parents feel they don't need to be there for the children so much anymore. One woman that I do know fairly well who confides in me told me that she hadn't had sex with her husband in 10 years because he cheated on her. I asked her why she didn't either get a divorce or forgive him because it doesn't make sense to live with a person who you are angry with. Of course she enjoyed spending his money and he has a lot of it. Finally he got fed up and left her and is currently seeing a younger woman. He is a pretty good friend of my husband so he has told my husband things like that his soon-to-be ex-wife never did like sex much and he doesn't know why he put up with her for as long as he did. In my opinion this woman has no value whatsoever because she didn't work, had no children in fact refuse to have children because it would ruin her body. She also spends 100% of the time on her appearance and will not do even anything remotely messy nor will she volunteer to even do something not messy to any organization because she doesn't like to be around poor people. This is her description not mine.
And yet....he married her. For some set of reasons. And didn't divorce her until he found the right newer model.

There is a reason, too, why #1 viewed herself as having only ornamental value. Of course she should have gone beyond that out of her own self respect. But who knows how she grew up. I've seen some things that make me just shake my head. If money was all that he was willing to provide and she felt only valued for her beauty or 'beauty,' I can see why she made the choices she did, no matter how much I disagree with them.

I think that people have their own versions of The Truth and that it rarely involves acknowledging anything they did themselves to contribute to any situation. Saw/lived that re: my own parents. My father's widow still believes everything from my dad's perspective, and some of it is simply not likely to be accurate. For example: he told her that he and my mother hadn't had sex in 10 years before he divorced her (which was a few years after her stroke at age 42).. Of course he would know that more than I would but I know as an absolute fact that my mother was on birth control pills from after my youngest sister was born until after the divorce. She kept them on top of the fridge. Which is weird. The reason it stuck so hard with me is that it was the only form of birth control I knew about until I was well old enough to know much more about birth control than I did. Also, the bedroom I shared with my sister was across the hall from my parents' room in a very small ranch house. Looking back as an adult, I am pretty certain that sounds I heard indicated the marriage was not as completely celibate as my father let on. It became obvious at a certain point that my father had little affection or respect for my mother (before the stroke) but I definitely remember times within those 10 years when it really stretches credulity to think that theirs was a sexless marriage. Times when they were openly affectionate with one another, times that hinted at more to the extent that parents might without going overboard in front of the K I D S. They shared a bed up until he left for his much younger 2nd wife. Probably no sex after the stroke, although the doctor kept my mother on birth control pills for some time (don't ask. He was an idiot.) Aside from that, because of the stroke and because of how much we took part in helping with the recovery, we daughters did learn things that most daughters might not learn about their parents at that particular age. Or ever. It was very apparent--before and after the stroke--that my mother was very much in love with my father. Keep in mind as I write this that I was much closer to my father than my mother. Much closer. I didn't like my mother much and she didn't like me, either. But my father was grossly unfair to her long before the stroke and long before the divorce.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, that's just sad all around. She sounds like a lousy person, but I feel sorry for her. How empty her life must be. And what the hell happened to her to make her that way.....

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Re: Diane and her husband. I don't think he was (consciously) lusting after the blonde bimbo, who probably wasn't that much of a bimbo. I think that he was perhaps more swayed than he realized by her blonde hair and big boobs and flattering ways. He seemed to pretty easily relinquish that plan of action.

Alicia didn't invite her mother; Jackie did. That's why she showed up, so that Jackie could gloat over having a husband when she did not.

The whole thing with Zach running off to France with his RA is stupid and contrived and simply illustrates that parents cannot really control what their kids do after a certain point in time. But yeah, it's dumb. Beyond dumb. It was really more a contrived send off for the character, I am guessing.

My prediction is still that the end game is Alicia and Peter, no matter how many times they talk about divorce. I think that Alicia is a little stunned that Jason would want to stay with her. I also don't think she would be happy flitting about every year or so. It doesn't seem feasible or even plausible or even attractive as anything other than a short term passion thing. Alicia still clearly does the best she can for Peter and I don't believe it is due to her self interest or her children's interest or for the sake of anything except, down deep, I think she loves him and more than that, needs him, as he clearly needs her. It may be dysfunctional, but I think that's how it is between them.

Yeah, we are seeing a ton of Alicia but the show is called The Good Wife. Unfortunately, she's become a fairly uninteresting character. I like Diane much more.

I'd rather see more in the way of trial cases. I can't say I think it's plausible that they'd try to float an all female named partner firm, purposely. Though we all know there are oodles of male led firms.

Oh, the other thing I think is coming : Peter is really innocent (of those particular charges) and the DA who is leading the charge is very dirty and will go down. Hard. Which will spur Alicia to realize she loves Peter blah blah blah
Edited by tgir, Apr 26 2016, 09:02 PM.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I actually thought it was perfect.

Alicia actually wavers from her 'good wife' role. Peter steps down, life in ruins but no jail. Alicia is alone: her kids are off living their own lives. Jason is MIA--he won't be back, I think. That slap at the end: satisfying to all those who are angry at the bad blood re: Archie and JM, but also dear served. Alicia abandoned her role, her best self. She assigned deadWill the premiere love if her life--and her role as subservient to his. Jason will ever live up to that fantasy/memory and dethroned Peter is not relevant. She's alone. She deserves to be. She abandoned her role as the good wife.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Heh. I think Alicia came to the show without a core. She had abdicated her self to be the perfect wife. It was a crutch, a purpose, a way of life.

I've noted throughout the episodes that I watched that Alicia seemed to gravitate towards men who protected her. Even and even especially Peter.

Until the very end, she never really had to rely only on herself.

I am sure that is the end of Alicia and Jason. She went looking for him in the back ways, saw someone from behind and it wasn't him. I think that's how things are. She was looking for something/someone and it turns out, it wasn't him. In my opinion, she's still looking for Peter. She just gave him bad advice as she convinced him to take the career ending plea when he was actually innocent (he alleges and I actually believe). She quit being 'the good wife.' She lost. It was the role she assumed, and that was foisted upon her and reinforced over and over again. But she took it up, it was her second skin. Everyone is going off on his/her own. She's alone.

I expected to see Will and it reminded me again of how much I disliked the character and the actor and how much this show was anything but a feminist show. Even Third Wave or whichever wave we are on now. Alicia/Jason could/would never work out for very long. She didn't want what he did; what she wanted--the way of life--was what Jason left and would not be returning to. Everything else was just a fantasy. Her taking him as her lover and that guy before (the one nighter--can't recall the character's name): That was Alicia emulating Peter and other men: acting on sexual need without thinking about consequences, which were surely as grave for the men as they were for her. It wasn't empowerment. It was narcissism.

I agree that Diane was badly used this season, for certain. I'm glad she slapped Alicia. I'm also glad it was a real slap, not a faked one.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply