Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Good Wife; Season 7
Topic Started: Oct 5 2015, 06:02 PM (2,481 Views)
tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Re: Diane and her husband. I don't think he was (consciously) lusting after the blonde bimbo, who probably wasn't that much of a bimbo. I think that he was perhaps more swayed than he realized by her blonde hair and big boobs and flattering ways. He seemed to pretty easily relinquish that plan of action.

Alicia didn't invite her mother; Jackie did. That's why she showed up, so that Jackie could gloat over having a husband when she did not.

The whole thing with Zach running off to France with his RA is stupid and contrived and simply illustrates that parents cannot really control what their kids do after a certain point in time. But yeah, it's dumb. Beyond dumb. It was really more a contrived send off for the character, I am guessing.

My prediction is still that the end game is Alicia and Peter, no matter how many times they talk about divorce. I think that Alicia is a little stunned that Jason would want to stay with her. I also don't think she would be happy flitting about every year or so. It doesn't seem feasible or even plausible or even attractive as anything other than a short term passion thing. Alicia still clearly does the best she can for Peter and I don't believe it is due to her self interest or her children's interest or for the sake of anything except, down deep, I think she loves him and more than that, needs him, as he clearly needs her. It may be dysfunctional, but I think that's how it is between them.

Yeah, we are seeing a ton of Alicia but the show is called The Good Wife. Unfortunately, she's become a fairly uninteresting character. I like Diane much more.

I'd rather see more in the way of trial cases. I can't say I think it's plausible that they'd try to float an all female named partner firm, purposely. Though we all know there are oodles of male led firms.

Oh, the other thing I think is coming : Peter is really innocent (of those particular charges) and the DA who is leading the charge is very dirty and will go down. Hard. Which will spur Alicia to realize she loves Peter blah blah blah
Edited by tgir, Apr 26 2016, 09:02 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes I used to think that they were fairly clever about the trials that made the show more interesting because you would have some kind of trial every week and still have the ongoing storyline.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they ended up together. I know I wouldn't deal with Jason's lifestyle of moving around every year and I know he'd be restless if he were to try to adapt to her life. So I think they are mismatched except for this so-called hot romance that they are trying to shove down our throats. I am really glad there are only two shows left and curious enough to see what happens but the show has certainly run its course.

Zack has pretty much been an idiot throughout the show so this might be kind of the thing he'd do although I don't know why an attractive young woman would want anything to do with him.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree this last episode (720) was a hot mess. Okay they are trying to give everyone a final hurrah..okay. And they need to get a bunch of info-dump plot on board to make some sense of Peter's trial. But soooo much confusion and bad storytelling. Zach's drama as counterpoint to the divorce? really? These last few episodes makes me think the Kings musta been lying when they said this was the actual plan they've been building towards. Unless....all they had was a final scene in mind and no idea how to get there?

The show seems to be implying two possible endgames. One, Alicia pulls everyone together to successfully prove Peter's been railroaded...her final act as "the Good Wife." Two-Cary leads the pack of vultures who throw Peter to the wolves to save their own skins. I'm betting on #1.

I actually more interested in his trial than in Alicia and her plans.

I did like some stuff, especially Diane and McVeigh. And I did like Jason playing hardball with the ME. This is sorta ringing a bell, plotwise. I need to look up if there is back story we know but have forgotten...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I looked when the names in the story first came up - no, this isn't a Season 2 storyline we've forgotten...

I thought there was some enjoyable stuff at the party... Alicia's drunken and amused reactions to things were fun...

Probably the series wraps for Veronica, Owen... Zach?

Jackie's "I won't be seeing you again" was stupid (but Alicia's stupefied 'why?' was the right reaction)... Just because they're divorcing, doesn't mean... Plus, of course, she's marrying Howard...

Michael J. Fox isn't looking or sounding well. Worrisome.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jackie's reaction to Alicia ring true for me because she is the epitome of my first mother-in-law. I was almost as delighted to be rid of her as I was her son my ex-husband.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/arts/television/julianna-marguiles-in-closing-arguments-for-the-good-wife.html?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/arts/television/the-cast-of-the-good-wife-on-favorite-moments-from-the-show.html

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/87344/the-good-wife-series-finale-alicias-evolution-wills-death-and-all-those-relationships/

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Odd last few minutes.

I like the Regina Spektor song a lot.

Sure looked like Jason's silouhette, but when she rounds the corner, it's not him... But if he WAS there, he had to have heard her calling after him, and... Purposely vanished?

Anyway, he earlier seemed fine... Her whispered 'wait for me' and kiss... I think they'll work it out.

Peter doesn't do any time. Presumably, Grace will go to college..

Diane's pissed, fine, but the slap to Alicia was a little overdramatic and... I don't know, she maybe ought to be more upset with Lucca, I'd think... It's upsetting and maybe a little embarrassing, but I don't think it's going to do any long-term damage to Kurt and Diane's marriage, where a big physical assault from Diane to Alicia... Do they 'break up' their partnership now, though it was JUST starting anew?

Even if Will was just there to help Alicia sort through her feelings (and not a 'true' ghostly visit), I think I'd have appreciated Alicia asking him what he was calling to say just 'before'.

Hm. Kinda sorta wish we COULD see a Kings-less Season 8 now. But oh, well...

Would not mind a spin-off at some point. Cast was filled with great actors playing great characters..

Video good-bye and mini-commentary by the Kings -
http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_good_wife/video/D63GlSJDLSsC001mXSIKupg5sCEHcKrm/the-good-wife-s-creators-explain-the-final-episode/
I don't really mind the ambiguity, the lack of a happily-ever-after-ish concluding scene, but they don't quite sell me on the slap being a fitting bookend to the one in the pilot... I think it was more 'pushed' than 'earned'..

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
HATED THE ENDING! Diane slapping Alicia was sooo out of character. The Jason drama at the end was so 2 episodes ago. Oh and please don't get me started about her 'talking' to Will.... that was stupid.

In my book that was one of the worst TV series endings ever.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I actually thought it was perfect.

Alicia actually wavers from her 'good wife' role. Peter steps down, life in ruins but no jail. Alicia is alone: her kids are off living their own lives. Jason is MIA--he won't be back, I think. That slap at the end: satisfying to all those who are angry at the bad blood re: Archie and JM, but also dear served. Alicia abandoned her role, her best self. She assigned deadWill the premiere love if her life--and her role as subservient to his. Jason will ever live up to that fantasy/memory and dethroned Peter is not relevant. She's alone. She deserves to be. She abandoned her role as the good wife.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-the-good-wife-comes-to-an-ambiguous-disappointing-end

Seeing a lot of hate, and some love, and don't think either are particularly deserved... it's NOT Dexter-ending bad, but I'm seeing a lot of comments agreeing with me about the Diane slap coming off weird... reverse-engineered to give us a bookend, but not totally natural...

I don't think there's much of anything in the show to suggest Jason is 'gone'. Definitely felt more like their story was just beginning, not ending. I liked the exchange with Will - 'But what if I'm unhappy with him?' 'Then you can blame me.'

Coming in late to the series (and you've said your liking Noth so much added to your views), I thought you might be disappointed with anything not resembling the Peter-Alicia-back-together endgame you always pictured. I always thought that was a bizarre way to interpret what they were presenting, but I did agree with you that Peter and Alicia love each other, just... it was a dead marriage. I don't think telling GhostWill she'll always love him renders her subservient to him, but... okay. We are slaves to our memories, sure, good and bad ones both. But if you're saying that's an anti-feminist thing, I don't see it, but I think it WOULD be a terrible message to send that she's alone for abandoning the 'good wife' role, because, well... she and Peter shouldn't stay together. They weren't making each other happy for a long, long time. She's freed of those burdens now.

I'm glad she and Peter are done.

I'm regretful that there's so much unresolved tension between Alicia, Diane, and Cary. So many firm shake-ups and personal betrayals between them, and... I DID like that the show wasn't afraid to mess with its status quo, but after awhile, the wish was that they would STOP messing with it so much, so often...

I like that Cary got off the merry-go-round.
(I like Cary, but the next time I see Czuchry, I will hate him again, on Gilmore Girls..)

http://deadline.com/2016/05/the-good-wife-finale-alternative-endings-diane-will-1201751638/

-

Despite quibbles, annoyances, a lot of rushed and unsatisfying endings, and the whatever-the-hell JM/AP thing was, this was my favorite network drama for most of its run... the first season overlapped with the last of Lost, and I've preferred a couple others while TGW was in Seasons 6 and 7 - batshit crazy Scandal and how-the-hell-did-this-get-ON-a-major-network-for-39-episodes Hannibal... runners up were, like, strong ensemble soap Parenthood or astonishingly-consistent-for-being-such-an-old-show Grey's Anatomy...

But TGW was special, especially considering it was on they-really-like-all-of-their-shows-to-be-pretty-cookie-cutter CBS.

I'll remember it fondly, and look forward to more work from the Kings (though this summer's BrainDead looks like it's going to be cuckoo-bananas and I'm really not sure it's going to be any good... but I think I'm intrigued enough to watch it even if it IS terrible...).

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think the Diane slap would have worked soooo much better if they hadn't assassinated her character over the last year. The biggest problem I have had with this show is its schizoid attempts to have its cake and eat it too. This was a perfect example.

I expected Will to come back but I really thought it would be Alicia remembering actual scenes they shared, not this travesty of narcissistic belly gazing. I agree with gate, nearly Dexter level crap ending. I also agree with tgir in that I do think Alicia alone was very deserved, that she had become someone so shallow and core-less, ready and willing to serve the moment instead of any values or beliefs.

It's the curse of the law field in general that fighting in an adversarial system in order to find justice is a conundrum, if not an outright joke, and as a result I've heard plenty of lawyers on both sides of the aisle bemoan the fact that sometimes they must do things distasteful to their morals, such as defending real jerks, in order to be true to their craft. But I've also heard ADAs going easy on a vic they knew needed a break, and a defense attny 'not working too hard' for a scumbag.

(Lunch Friday before my school's play was catered by The Common Plea. :P Maybe Krystal remembers it?)

The Kings seem to lack the ability to shade the law in such a way that anything noble or admirable remains on the table. And that's okay, if they were complete cynics and wanted us to see Alicia and many of the others as anti-heroes, or seriously flawed characters. But instead, we'd get whiplash from the flip-flopping when they'd want us to root for certain characters, especially Alicia. Fundamentally, They wanted us to see the law and life from Alicia POV, to 'feel' for her struggles, to have sympathy for her dilemmas, and yet instead she came off, UNINTENTIONALLY, I think, as self righteous and arrogant.

I'll be glad to stop hate-watching this. :D
Edited by KMInfinity, May 9 2016, 07:07 PM.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Heh. I think Alicia came to the show without a core. She had abdicated her self to be the perfect wife. It was a crutch, a purpose, a way of life.

I've noted throughout the episodes that I watched that Alicia seemed to gravitate towards men who protected her. Even and even especially Peter.

Until the very end, she never really had to rely only on herself.

I am sure that is the end of Alicia and Jason. She went looking for him in the back ways, saw someone from behind and it wasn't him. I think that's how things are. She was looking for something/someone and it turns out, it wasn't him. In my opinion, she's still looking for Peter. She just gave him bad advice as she convinced him to take the career ending plea when he was actually innocent (he alleges and I actually believe). She quit being 'the good wife.' She lost. It was the role she assumed, and that was foisted upon her and reinforced over and over again. But she took it up, it was her second skin. Everyone is going off on his/her own. She's alone.

I expected to see Will and it reminded me again of how much I disliked the character and the actor and how much this show was anything but a feminist show. Even Third Wave or whichever wave we are on now. Alicia/Jason could/would never work out for very long. She didn't want what he did; what she wanted--the way of life--was what Jason left and would not be returning to. Everything else was just a fantasy. Her taking him as her lover and that guy before (the one nighter--can't recall the character's name): That was Alicia emulating Peter and other men: acting on sexual need without thinking about consequences, which were surely as grave for the men as they were for her. It wasn't empowerment. It was narcissism.

I agree that Diane was badly used this season, for certain. I'm glad she slapped Alicia. I'm also glad it was a real slap, not a faked one.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Elfman (Steven Pasquale). IMDb lists his first name as 'Johnny', but I totally did not remember that...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-good-wife-spinoff-christine-baranski-cush-jumbo-cbs-all-access-1201772883/

Diane and Lucca - Okay. Good.

On CBS All Access subscription service.. Yuck. Sure, Bryan Fuller doing a new Star Trek is great and all, but... It's not enough. They need a lot more than TWO things before...

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
May 12 2016, 10:16 PM
On CBS All Access subscription service.. Yuck.
Yeah that's not going to work for me. ^o)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't watched it yet I guess I will get around to it but I think my finger will be on the fast forward button quite a bit. I couldn't stand anything about Will I didn't like his mannerisms and I thought he was not attractive. So I really don't need to see him again. I don't know why Diane was slapping Alicia but somebody should have slapped Alicia long time ago. Somebody should have slapped JM a long time ago :)

Yes it used to be a good show and the weekly trials were interesting but then there was a whole year about Cary and this year which were pretty bad. So I'm not sorry to see it go. I really am not interested in a spin-off. I had not ever like Baranski before this series and I did like her in it although I don't like the way he is portrayed with a relationship with that husband who in my mind is domineering in his own way and controlling. I never warmed up to Jumbo so I don't care if I ever see her again in anything at all. This is just another series who ran past the time that it should have.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I finally watched the show and I thought it was pretty awful. The scenes with Josh Charles seemed extremely contrived it was like who cares after all these years and I fast forwarded them. I can totally understand Diane slapping Alicia in fact Alicia should be careful because Diane has learned to use a gun very well. The only thing that confused me was if Diane's husband was having an affair with that young woman after they were married because I thought he had had an affair with her before they were married which who cares who you have seen before you were married as long as you are faithful during the marriage. So if somebody knows the facts on that I would be curious.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't know if the writers/actors commented, but some of the post-show recaps suggested that the only thing that made sense of the slap was if he did NOT have an affair and Alicia and Lucca contrived the accusation to discredit him. Otherwise, Diane would have to "accept" the legitimacy of the strategy.

Not sure I buy it.

Most people I know personally hated the finale.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Why would he say he had the affair under oath if he did not? I thought the slap was because Diane did not know about the affair and it had happened after they were married. Well the show stunk. What a horrible finale but then the past two years have been pretty bad.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
They were not very clear on Kurt's affair, but if it was at the time of the murder case in question (Season 2), Diane and Kurt were not married then, or even necessarily dating exclusively.

It's a weird 'gotcha', and while I understand Alicia and Lucca doing anything in their power to get Peter off, it IS really wrong to attack Kurt's character at all when - and this is what I think Diane was REALLY pissed about - he LIED, perjured himself (and we know his integrity to be rather important to him) when Diane asked him if he could find the preliminary results as favorable as possible (to what they thought would be the most beneficial to them at the time...).

If he was having an affair since they've been married... That was not made clear, and should have been.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
The whole slap was contrived. It made zero sense. Regardless I thought the whole last episode sucked and I wish the series didn't end on that note.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://deadline.com/2016/05/the-good-wife-spinoff-cbs-all-access-1201759145/

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll pass on this for sure

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not going to bother with CBS All Access. Sorry but nope.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
https://tvline.com/2016/08/05/the-good-wife-alicia-jason-ending-reshoot-jeffrey-dean-morgan-interview/

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I probably don't care about The Good Wife or him or her or any of them. I am annoyed that he showed up on The Walking Dead I would like to never see him in anything ever

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Or her.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
New show still doesn't have a title. #1 will be on CBS before the move to CBS All-Access. Sometime in February. The Kings will be the EPs... Would-have-been showrunner Phil Alden Robinson not staying on beyond the pilot script he co-wrote. Wonder what happened there.

The new Star Trek needs more time - original January start pushed to May...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
In as a regular - Sarah Steele as Marissa Gold. Cool. Loved her..

More. The premise - http://deadline.com/2016/09/the-good-wife-spinoff-premise-plot-spoilers-sarah-steele-cast-cbs-all-access-1201821655/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: