Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Humans; Season 1
Topic Started: Jul 20 2015, 10:56 PM (488 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Manpreet Bachu -- Harun
Emily Berrington -- Niska
Ruth Bradley -- DI Karen Voss
Lucy Carless -- Mattie Hawkins
Gemma Chan -- Mia / Anita Hawkins
Pixie Davies -- Sophie Hawkins
Jack Derges -- Simon
Sope Dirisu -- Fred
Rebecca Front -- Vera
Tom Goodman-Hill -- Joe Hawkins
Ivanno Jeremiah -- Max
Jill Halfpenny -- Jill Drummond
Neil Maskell -- Det. Sgt. Pete Drummond
Colin Morgan -- Leo Elster
Katherine Parkingson -- Laura Hawkins
Theo Stevenson -- Toby Hawkins
Will Tudor -- Odi
Danny Webb -- Professor Edwin Hobb
and William Hurt -- Dr. George Millican

--

Five have aired, three are left... Four have aired, four to come... Hope this isn't a one-and-done. I'm not expecting we're going to get full closure in the second half of the season.

So I keep thinking it's strange that people keep mistaking Niska for human, but then we were 'fooled' by Leo and Karen, ourselves...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Damn, only 8?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
How are the ratings? Have you heard anything, good or bad, Dax? If they're not that good, it seems like AMC has been forgiving with some of their other shows.

I have to remind myself that people think Niska is human, as some scenes don't make sense. She's not as robotic as Anita/Mia but she's not as human-like as Leo. When Leo said "our father" during their phone call, it made me wonder if that was more than a general term.

Karen locking her bedroom door made me chuckle. Does she normally do that, or just when she has a visitor?

The son turning down the cute girl at the party because of his crush on Anita required a bit of suspension of belief. Why not both?

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Probably good enough.. http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/humans-season-one-ratings-37293/
Also, that it's a co-production with the UK, and I think I read it was doing well over there...

Yeah, it seemed like Karen was... Maybe interested, flirty... But that was a LOUD locking-of-the-door, too... No way poor Pete wasn't bummed to hear that...

Huge agree on Toby at the party. Meant to say something about that... I mean, come on. Ain't no way...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Bad/good - yes, only eight. But I misspoke earlier saying five down, three to go. It's four/four...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Leo though bled red, not blue. So perhaps he is more human, I haven't seen this week's, but I was wondering.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, some sort of... hybrid, maybe? Bleeds red, has human DNA... He needed food and water, right? But then we see him 'plug in', and...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Really enjoying Katherine Parkingson as Laura. Good scene when Joe admitted to having sex with Anita/Mia. I like all the grey areas in how the real humans perceive the Synths.

A little confused with Leo trying to access Mia. Why didn't he do what Mattie did when she caused Anita to have Mia's underwater-car-memory?

It was nice to see Niska interact with George Millican, as it humanized (chuckle) her in a way we hadn't seen before.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Leo tried that first (what Mattie had done, accessing the "root system directly with a clone file key"), but it didn't work because "she must have retreated deeper within the architecture". But then after trying everything he can think of and failing, he tells Mattie she must have just seen a 'ghost'. Still... I expect there IS a way to bring her back...

Confession scene real strong, agree. Also liked the father/son awkwardness between Joe and Toby...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks, Dax! I actually remember Leo saying that, it just went over my head.

Wasn't it odd that Karen had her door unlocked when they made a point of showing her lock it at the end of the last episode? She didn't want Pete to see that she was plugged in. Silly writers!

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah. Maybe not necessarily a 'mistake' (she might have unlocked the door and been out of the bedroom already that morning for whatever reason), but it was odd that we'd see her being so careFUL and then so careLESS...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Renewed. Cool.
https://deadline.com/2015/07/humans-renewed-season-2-amc-channel-4-1201488376/

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good news about the renewal.

It may have been a little cheesy but I thought the Mia/Leo reunion was heartwarming. I liked the twist that she was a mother figure to him and not a romantic partner.

I was hoping Tom would somehow connect Laura to David Elster but I did like how her story awakened Mia.

Even on the second viewing I didn't fully get why Max decided he had to jump but I guess real humans make plenty of illogical choices, too.

Enjoyed more of George and Niska.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like Max. Don't want him to 'die'...

I'm glad they got Mia back, but I guess I don't understand how she can more permanently fight off Anita's code now.

Joe calling the police on Leo wasn't a great complication (motivated because he might take Anita away?... But he sees that she DIDN'T go with them, so he really ought to get more of the story before calling the cops...), but I guess things were starting to work out too well, with Fred being free and Mia being awake...

Pete's surprise was fun. We've got all the answers to Leo and the drowning in this one, but Who/What Is Kate is the big outstanding mystery now...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Max is my fave synth. Loved his agnostic prayer. I hope we don't lose him. Bilki I think we're supposed to think Max jumped because his power was so low he was going to 'freeze' in place on the bridge, and thought by jumping he could lure the pursuit??? (I can't remember exactly who the guy is...a scientist? ) away from Leo. It was dumb, very plot driven, but it still gave me feels when Max said the part about dying shows he was alive.

Yeah, the Mia vs Anita explanation was weak too. I'm fanwanking that the Anita personality (from the factory) was set as 'default' so Mia was like a virus in there, trying to take charge. Then Leo 'activated her' by bringing up her original programming, and made that the default setting. I'd assume Anita could be deleted, sort of like how I've deleted IE and open Firefox - the laptop stays the same, the browser I use changes. Gate? Any insight here?

I really really like Nyska, especially playing off George.

I also really liked the backstory about Laura's brother Tom...and how Mia/Anita responded to it later.

It was a little too pat that suddenly Laura is pro-synth and Joe is such a jerk. I really like the daughter.

>>>but Who/What Is Kate is the big outstanding mystery now...
Do you mean Pete's partner Karen? Or as Kate a synth from Leo's childhood I missed somehow?

The show is character driven enough I can enjoy it even though the 'conflicts/problems' are sort of old hat for me.

Edited by KMInfinity, Aug 4 2015, 07:46 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, I meant Karen. Oops.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

It was a little too pat that suddenly Laura is pro-synth
I've been thinking the same thing. I liked how Anita's capabilities were playing to Laura's insecurities. Now it's all been washed away because they have other conflicts to work with, but I was hoping they'd explore it a little longer and maybe tie something in Laura's past to her initial resistance to Anita.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>Then Leo 'activated her' by bringing up her original programming, and made that the default setting. I'd assume Anita could be deleted, sort of like how I've deleted IE and open Firefox - the laptop stays the same, the browser I use changes. Gate? Any insight here?

IE is built into Windows Operating System so you never can 'truly' can get rid of it. It looks like Firefox is now the only browser but it's not. Firefox is a separate add on not part of the Operating System. Don't even ask me about Windows 10. I'm sticking with Mac from now on.

As far as Anita ... She 'should' be able to be deleted because technically she is running on TOP of Mia. Unless of course they messed with Mia's firmware BUT then you wouldn't have Mia at all so that's not what is happening. So Anita is Firefox and Mia is IE. Mia should be able to get rid of Anita completely with a little programming help. ;)

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Bravo!

Um. so what I deleted was the IE desktop icon, not the actual browser. I did actually know that somewhere in the back of my CRS * diseased brain.

*Can't remember shit

lol

My 2nd cheap Dell laptop is working great, but I wish I could have afforded a Mac this time around.....

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
Aug 6 2015, 07:12 AM
Bravo!

Um. so what I deleted was the IE desktop icon, not the actual browser. I did actually know that somewhere in the back of my CRS * diseased brain.

*Can't remember shit

lol

My 2nd cheap Dell laptop is working great, but I wish I could have afforded a Mac this time around.....
Yes you deleted the IE Desktop Icon ... of course this all depends on what version you are using too because the original Windows OS did not have IE built in. ;)

CRS = I have that too.

I had cheap Toshiba, Dell, Gateway laptops in the past and I found out it was better if I just got Mac's because they last soooo much longer and made up for cost over time.

Gave my husband my old iMac and he still isn't 'comfortable' with it but he will learn. We have one Toshiba laptop left that he uses and when that goes bye-bye it will replace with Mac.

___

I do love this show. I'm happy it was renewed. I know there are a lot of holes here and there but the Mia being a 'mom' figure was a GREAT twist.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I love the show as well. I think it's my favorite new show and I'm really glad it got renewed.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am going to take back my early lack of enthusiasm. The character material, especially synth-to-synth, has really been strong. Last nite's episode was a real emotional roller coaster. Mark watched with me and he liked it a lot. (He'd seen the premiere and also wasn't so impressed.) We had lots of good dinner convo about the show, especially about Karen and her actions, and what they reveal about individuals and society. Mark> "You're damned if you do (engage with society and someone significant) and damned if you don't." The human condition in a nutshell.

ETA - Browsing around, just learned AMC has been cutting appx FOUR minutes from each episode. People who've seen the BBC version said it really especially hurt Pete the cop's story, and background with Leo and Leo's relationships. BAD AMC. Very bad. :taz:
Edited by KMInfinity, Aug 10 2015, 07:29 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Shit. That IS bad... four minutes is pretty substantial.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes it is!

Though, I can't seem to confirm that with a critic/review/news source. My info is from posters watching BBC.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes the original Channel 4 versions are longer, they are 45 minute episodes, and we're getting around 41 or so minutes with credits. The Pete stuff has been so minor that explains why. Thanks KMI.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I confirmed by visiting the BBC Channel 4 site, and viewing the original episode 7, which was 46:24 !!!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/humans/on-demand/56459-007

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hm. I haven't watched #7 yet, so...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
If you haven't watched EP7 yet, don't read any further, Dax.

George's death disappointed me. Not just because it felt rushed and unnecessary, but it seemed there weren't any emotional consequences. He spent enough time bonding with Niska that I thought she'd have experienced some kind of inner conflict to leaving him there to die. I don't think she even mentioned it afterwards. If Karen's argument is that with consciousness comes pain, it didn't seem like Niska was pained at all.

I did appreciate that Karen was created from the consciousness of a woman who committed suicide, which would explain why her point of view is more bleak than the others.

Gemma Chan continues to impress me, even in scenes that I find relatively mediocre.

What Fred said about David Elster neglecting them and moving on to the next project was interesting to me.

I loved Max smiling as the police officer was holding a gun to his face.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
E7 spoilers ahead...

Yeah I agree George's death was the weak part of the episode. There were so many other great moments though I sort of overlooked it. (also, I kind of expected Wm Hurt would be short term so I was ready to move on quick...). Big agree the Max moments were gold, especially that scene with the police gun. I do hope he's resurrected somehow.

I've also seen some complaints that Niska's love-hate with humans was whiplashing pretty inconsistently, but I bought it, especially the material with the youngest daughter.

I wonder if Karen-Beatrice knows/said anything about Leo's murky status to Hobbs?

No one at PTV mentioned it, except to wonder why Fred was glitching during the 'football' play, but I assume Hobbs put some kind of tracker/tech/software in him to find him again and that's causing his troubles even though he did a self diagnostic. Hobbs has the expertise.

Loved that Joe no sooner rejoins the family than he's busted again for calling the cops on Leo the night before. Poor Joe.

I think the key thing I'm realizing is that they don't know much about humans because they haven't lived with them except for Elster, who wasn't a good role model. Mia's talks with Laura gave lots of info without seeming like anvi exposition.

Overall, I've come to really like the show not because the ideas are so unique (for me) but because the writing is nuanced and well developed. Such a shame AMC is cutting minutes and the overall arc is two episodes shorter than the original>>>

Comparisons with the Swedish 'Real Humans' - avoiding future spoilers, just checking 'where we are so far.' Tagging JIC anyone plans to go back and watch it.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Also, apparently Brit Channel 4 isn't exactly BBC? or ITV? I haven't checked into the connections.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I highly approve of the first item in your spoiler, KMI. This whole time I've been hoping Laura would be connected (other than just 'owning' Anita/Mia) to the bigger story, as I really like the actress and the character.

Quote:

I've also seen some complaints that Niska's love-hate with humans was whiplashing pretty inconsistently, but I bought it, especially the material with the youngest daughter.
Sophie is so freaking adorable it would be difficult not to soften a bit in her presence, lol.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: