Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Mr. Robot; Season 1
Topic Started: Jul 12 2015, 04:06 PM (778 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]

Rami Malek -- Elliot Alderson
Carly Chaikin -- Darlene
Portia Doubleday -- Angela Moss
Martin Wallstrom -- Tyrell Wellick
and Christan Slater -- Mr. Robot

-

#3 - Oh, good. Wellick ISN'T that high up, he was just bullshitting Elliot in #2. That didn't feel right.

Always on the lookout for Fight Club/Sixth Sense/Dexter 6 clues that Slater Isn't Real - the bartender serving the appletini ignores him (but he IS being really obnoxious, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything...).

Elliot's whole 'I'll be more normal' thing is very reminiscent of Dexter...

I like Shayla.

The nudity/sex and profanity audio dropouts, besides further shouting how much USA's programming model has changed, make me wonder what other territories the show has been sold to. It's really not very 'basic cable' at all...

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah the big debate is whether only Mr. Robot (Slater) is unreal, or if ALL of fsociety is. I haven't read all the debate but people are claiming that Darlene, at least, has interacted with others.

I'd be cool if Mr. Robot turns out to be real. :P

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah. Shayla and Darlene 'met' in this one, sorta kinda. Shayla would have voiced a question if Elliot was kicking Nobody's There out of his apartment...

We've just seen that device so many times now that I'm definitely hoping Slater IS real... I think that's more interesting.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I quit the show because I do really not want to be involved in someone's dream or hallucination. There is too much about the show that is confusing and I am not sure I even have anyone to cheer for.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's not holding my undivided attention but I found myself rewinding scenes when I thought I'd missed something with EP3. I'm not in the mood to try to figure out if Mr Robot is real or a figment of imagination, though.

I may be more intrigued with Tyrell Wellick than Elliot, as his motivation feels more straight-forward. It made me chuckle that he pays that homeless man to let him beat the shit out of him.

Reading a recap of EP3 helped me to understand what's going on a bit more.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah I like reading recap/analysis to help with insight, but if I feel too stupid, like I'm missing too much, then that's not good. :P

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Part of it is the techie talk, being introduced to a bunch of new characters, and then my forgetfulness. This little cloud of confusion hangs over my head while watching. The recap mentioned Angela's boyfriend receiving the CD from that guy on the street, which was when I finally realized how his computer was being hacked. Is the guy who's listening and watching in the dark-ish room the same one we saw on the street? If so, I didn't put that together.

At least I'm still at the point of trying to figure out what's going on....except for whether Mr Robot is real or not, lol.
Edited by bilki, Jul 14 2015, 09:21 AM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes. Guy on the street who 'accidentally' bumped into the couple Elliot works with is the guy hacking them. or part of a group. The hacker definitely works for someone else. Not sure exactly yet, there's an Asian connection.

However, I am suspicious that the hacker is actually working for Elliot, as a way to get to his bff girl. I am thinking Elliot may have multiple personalities. He may end up being several people later on. Ideally he will run two separate hacker organizations that are pitted against each other. :D

j/k.........sorta :P

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just finished #1 and am surprised by how much I like it. Am so not a computer nerd. Am a bit....skeptical about what seems to be multiple disorders: asperger's for certain but coupled with schizophrenia? That's...complicated.

Should be interesting show..

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked the first one as well but then not.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

However, I am suspicious that the hacker is actually working for Elliot

That's what the writer of the recap I read was saying, which piqued my interest beyond what it had been in the previous episode. Elliot had said he was content with that current boyfriend because he knew what he was dealing with....but maybe he isn't content with him? I'm all for an inner conflict!

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just watched E4 and I am really confused. And not in a good "Buffy Restless" way. I need to read some recap-explanations fast.

But based on my impressions...

Mr. Robot is real. He talked with Romero of fsociety, and got reaction shots from fsociety people when he spoke. Unless.....no one in fsociety is real, which for a minute I thought was proved when Elliot woke up and made his all-alone speech. But then other stuff happened and I became confused.

The dismal depression of this episode went even further than past episodes. This is DDark with a Double Capital D.

It's all interconnected. I think. Which makes it more likely Elliot is the connection, and maybe has DID.

Loved the meme from Romero about what current TV or movie is screwing up hacker culture image today.

This might end up in the "even though it's good, really good" (thinking SOA here) it's too dark for me to watch.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked the Angela/Shayla and Darlene/Trenton time-away-from-Elliot stuff.

Wait, so the masked Chinese in the car took Darlene to her contact/boyfriend-of-some-kind? Felt like an unfriendly abduction, but that was the next place we saw her...

Detox ain't pretty.

The drug house shooting was scary, and while what followed was more clearly hallucinatory Dreamland, the set-up to Mr. Robot taking him there felt plenty 'real', so there was the fear that we were still going to 'wake up' there at some point, and relief when we didn't...

Hey, you can't bail on account of 'dark'... You told ME to watch this... I was ignoring it, but...
(Didn't you also watch 6/7ths of SOA? I don't think anybody's going to kill family with a fork here....)

Show has picked up a big cross-section of my friends on Facebook... Seeing several posts about it lately...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>>>Hey, you can't bail on account of 'dark'... You told ME to watch this... I was ignoring it, but...

Mea culpa! So it's like the Chinese saying about saving a life? :P I brought you in so I gottta keep going? My bff, who I also convinced to watch, berated me and is also wavering. She loved Dexter, loves GoT - has read the series twice - and SHE thinks this is too dark.

Well I'm committed thru S1 but I need someone to root for, and so far Elliot isn't making me feel for him. Which is ironic, since his inability to connect with others is the theme. I need a little bit of rootability and sunshine. Just a bit.

>>>>>(Didn't you also watch 6/7ths of SOA? I don't think anybody's going to kill family with a fork here....)
Yep. First time ever I dropped a series this late in its run. Stopped after 6.

>>>>>Wait, so the masked Chinese in the car took Darlene to her contact/boyfriend-of-some-kind? Felt like an unfriendly abduction, but that was the next place we saw her...
That's one of the things I need to read up on. Her bf is the guy with the CD who is the direct contact for the hacking of AllSafe via Angela. And he IS in contact with the Chinese, just that it seems like he's low on the totem pole yet the stretch limo took Darlene to him... hmmm They seem to be the "Dark Army" that Darlene wanted.

LOL@ my Freudian slip - Romero for Romeo...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Figured 'Romeo' might have been an autocorrect hiccup...

This isn't darker than GoT.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
AVClub is doing reviews now, which felt like some kind of "told you so" moment in my head. I'm finding the recaps at Vulture to be more helpful, though, as they discuss current and previous plot points. Both seem to think Mr Robot is Elliot, which I'm also beginning to lean towards.

I had to rewind and rewatch when Darlene was there talking to the guy with the CD. Did I miss her getting out of that limo?

Some interesting insight during the hallucination sequence. They "got me" with the gun shot.

I like the dark stuff, so this is fine with me. I can't imagine a cool little girl is going to be burned at the stake on this show.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
There are dark parts to Mr. Robot but there isn't an ongoing background of rape, and women are treated as having agency.

I should go back and re-watch the last episode. Struggling at the time with a nasty summer cold and exhaustion = not the best way to actually follow a show with lots of hallucination scenes. I mean, I was just accepting the hallucinations at face value without really taking them in, much less attempting to parse out what was real, what was hallucination.

FWIW, and that is not really very much at all, I am hoping that Mr. Robot is not Elliot. I think it is just too obvious a device. Also I think it is weird/huge miss that they are talking a lot about the possible hallucinations but seem to ignore completely the obvious Asperger's.

And fun: I watched (most of ) Larry Crowne, which I had not seen before. Guess who had a role? Yep: Rami Malek who I do not remember seeing elsewhere before although I know he's had other rolls...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
We didn't see Darlene get out of the limo, no... That threw me off a little, too.

I just noticed that Malek is in Spike Lee's Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (that Spike funded via Kickstarter - I was a backer, though only for five bucks - got a signed 40 Acres and a Mule patch...). It's on Netflix and airing on Showtime this month.

Would much prefer Mr. Robot isn't just in Elliot's head, but I won't be 'mad' or anything if he is... It's just an overly familiar device now, so I hope they skip it.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Creepy opening with Fernando realizing that Elliot was the anonymous tipper.

It wasn't that I expected things to go smoothly but it seemed like Elliot wasn't really emotionally prepared to access Steel Mountain with the way they had to instruct him in his ear.

Awkward dinner with Tyrell, his wife and the guy set to become the new CTO of Evil Corp. I should have known Tyrell was just going to walk out with the guy's wife sitting there on the toilet, lol.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
#6 was really good.

Liking the show a lot...

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah I'm liking this show too. I like it because it's different and the characters are so strange. :) I like strange.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was meh about #6. Apparently it's a UO around the net, but I was not very much interested in the criminal drug stuff, including Shayla.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Also enjoying the show because it's a bit unusual. It doesn't feel like anything I've watched on television before.

Enjoyed EP 6, mostly because of how it ended. I would have been disappointed if it had ended with Shayla making it out alive. Not because I disliked her. I just didn't believe Fernando would have allowed Elliot to be with her.

Loved the confrontation between Tyrell and Scott Knowles. Tyrell's wife is a real piece of work.

It makes me chuckle that we seem to be enjoying the show more than you, KMI. :D

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm not sure I would have been disappointed if Shayla had lived, but... Right. Cost. Shouldn't be able to win all the battles.

Vera lied. He didn't even TRY to hug Elliot...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I gave up on it.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Aug 2 2015, 11:35 PM
Vera lied. He didn't even TRY to hug Elliot...
I know, right! I was waiting for some kind of awkward hug between them, lol.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Aug 2 2015, 11:21 PM

It makes me chuckle that we seem to be enjoying the show more than you, KMI. :D
I know, right?

Well, I'm hoping with Shayla dead, Vera moves on (smh) and we get more of the OWS/Vendetta feel, and more of Elliot trying to function in the everyday world. I thought this drama would focus some on making the mundane significant, rather than all of this OTT craziness with the drug stuff. Fsociety, AllSafe, and E corp is plenty for me.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I love the office with everybody wearing signs with their secrets...

Wellick is a great 'Patrick Bateman'...

Final scene with Elliot and Krista was terrific.

Good stuff with Angela and Colby.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Disintegration by The Cure is probably my favorite album by them.

The scene on the roof was the kind of WTF moment that makes this show so interesting me. I'm still not sure if I think she's really dead.

Yes, Elliot being honest with Krista was great. And I loved how it just ended right there. I keep thinking about how much I disliked Gloria Reuben on Falling Skies but I'm really enjoying her here.

Angela vs. Colby was good fun.

A pretty good episode. I'm becoming a bit sad that there's only 3 left of this season.
Edited by bilki, Aug 7 2015, 10:44 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like Reuben here, and on ER. Yeah, she didn't really fit well on Falling Skies, but there was the hey-she's-reunited-with-Wyle thing... Anybody watching this final run of FS?

I've been enjoying the cool (70s-ish) cinematic ways Mr. Robot has been displaying its title cards...

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/interviews/a36956/rami-malek-mr-robot/

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/08/mr-robot-usa-morality-reality/400562/?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: