Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Survivor - Second Chance - Cambodia; Season 31
Topic Started: May 23 2015, 02:28 PM (1,149 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
28, 29, and 30 had no returning players. 27 (fall 2013) was the last half-all-star game, the first iteration of Blood vs. Water.

Cast for 31 consists of 20 people who have only played once before (and did not win), voted on by fans over a two-week period from a pool of 32 producer-picked people.

Returning players scorecard
-

Kelly Wiglesworth
Game 1 - Borneo - 2nd of 16 players

Kimmi Kappenberg
Game 2 - Australian Outback - 12th of 16 players

Jeff Varner
Game 2 - Australian Outback - 10th of 16 players

Andrew Savage
Game 7 - Pearl Islands - 10th of 16 players

Terry Dietz
Game 12 - Panama - 3rd of 16 players

Peih-Gee Law
Game 15 - China - 5th of 16 players

Stephen Fishbach
Game 18 - Tocantins - 2nd of 16 players

Monica Padilla
Game 19 - Samoa - 7th of 20 players

Abi-Maria Gomes
Game 25 - Philippines - 5th of 18 players

Vytas Baskauskas
Game 27 - Blood vs. Water - 10th of 20 players

Ciera Easten
Game 27 - Blood vs. Water - 5th of 20 players

Tasha Fox
Game 28 - Cagayan - 6th of 18 players

Spencer Bledsoe
Game 28 - Cagayan - 4th of 18 players

Kass McQuillen
Game 28 - Cagayan - 3rd of 18 players

Woo Hwang
Game 28 - Cagayan - 2nd of 18 players

Kelley Wentworth
Game 29 - San Juan del Sur - 14th of 18 players

Jeremy Collins
Game 29 - San Juan del Sur - 10th of 18 players

Keith Nale
Game 29 - San Juan del Sur - 4th of 18 players

Joe Anglim
Game 30 - Worlds Apart - 10th of 18 players

Shirin Oskooi
Game 30 - Worlds Apart - 8th of 18 players

One each from Games 1, 7, 12, 15, 18, 19, and 25
Two from Games 2, 27, and 30
Four from Game 28 (all close-to-the-end people, too; makes me think of the Big Brother 6 alliance that played again in 7...)
Three from Game 29

Three second-place finishers of their previous games (Kelly, Stephen, Woo)
Two third-place finishers of their previous games (Terry, Kass)

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/05/29/survivor-changed-television-forever-and-it-still-endures-whats-the-secret/

http://time.com/3889836/survivor-history/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/entertainment/reality-tv-shows/

I still remember Crystal hearing about this upcoming tv show (before me, and that's, you know, unusual...) about how they'd be putting these people on an island and having them vote each other off...

And then it came on and it was fun and a big hit. Wondered how long it (and the other, later big 'reality' game phenomenons) would last... Survivor is still going, but we have our answer for American Idol, with next year's 15 being the last...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/27/survivor-cambodia-second-chance-jeff-probst-players-could-not-get

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think it's funny that Kelly Wiglesworth and Kelley Wentworth have such similar names and are on the same tribe.

The taunting temptation of retrieving the Hidden Idol DURING an immunity challenge was amusing. She did have good timing... All eyes on the key grab at that moment...

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Her timing on getting that idol was right on. I do like the idol at the challenge angle, different and fun. I think i will enjoy this season alot. Wiglesworth looks ALOT different, I know its been 14 years and she looks good just very different.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I can't believe they haven't done this before. I loved hearing about how various ones are still tormented by their previous loss.

The little twists were fun. I hope they continue to place the Immunity Idols at the challenges. And I wouldn't mind if TC immediately follows the challenge for the rest of the season, though they'll probably adapt to that rather quickly.

I thought for sure Abi Maria was going to get the boot. Does anyone know the vote count? My DVR cut off before Vytas got to do his farewell.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was a 6-4 vote. Wiglesworth (should we call her Kelly 1?), Terry, Woo, and Vytas voted for Abi.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
So far no spoilers except a couple of 'early boots.'

Early on, I'm impressed with Varner and his edit (though maybe a bit TOO OTT), Spencer and his edit, Jeremy despite his edit, and maybe Shirrin. Depends on how much she really controlled that Vytas vote, because when the editors DON'T show what someone did, it's bad for their chances overall. It is also troubling that Varner and Shirrin got labeled the crazies on the beach by Spencer.

I have a feeling that anyone who did NOT get a puff piece about their last game before the commercial is toast.

The women with a chance are UTR, which is typical, so not an indication of how they will do overall.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was accidentally spoiled on the premiere's boot, a twitter/time zone 'oops'...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Previews for next week... Two tribes to three tribes... That's a new one...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like the old-schoolers having to play catch up to the more strategic manner of playing the game.

After all that time Shirin spent on her soap box last season!

It was interesting to me that Spencer teared up at the prospect of not being able to play with Shirin. I'm fascinated by how this game puts some of them right on the edge of their emotions.

And I like how this season offers the opportunity for introspection. I loved Jeff discussing how they forget how difficult the game can be when they're away from it. The appeal of nostalgia, which reminds me of Don Draper's little speech.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good, succinct analysis from a poster called myopics at the private edgic Survivor board:

Quote:

Seems like this generic "old school vs new school" concept is really fleshing out to be an elegant theme about rediscovering the value of Survivor's human element amidst the strategy. Not just that... I think the winner's story will be about being able to appropriate genuine emotions to form connections but not being ruled by them. So many players are painted as shades of this in just the first 2 episodes.

Spencer: "People aren't chess pieces"; *everyone thinks he over strategizes*; "I promise to change and get to know you all personally".
Terry: "She's a human crying on the beach"; *turns genuine compassion (as far as canon goes) into strategic triumph*
Abi: "I have to control my emotions"; *melts down*
Jeremy: "I have to control my emotions; *melts down privately*
Kass: "Recognising the human element will be key"
Varner: "I'm shellshocked by this new all-strategy culture of the game."; "having control of a raw human like Abi will be key"
Stephen: *Annoys everyone by turning an emotional moment into game talk*
Tasha: "I was too compassionate last time, this time I'll pray for forgiveness after"
Shirin: *Neglects social management, gets voted out*

Also, shout out to the storytelling department for once again presenting a well thought-out narrative and using the Bayon dynamic to present a "moral" about how things play out on Ta Keo. Andrew was peeved that Stephen could not empathise with Jeremy and instead turned it into game talk, then Shirin finds herself on the bottom for failing to empathise with Abi and being too one-note strategic. Same with last week where Joe doing his own thing with yoga attracts Tasha's leering gaze then immediately switching toVytas using yoga to look sexy and getting the opposite reaction from Shirin and Abi.

I'm enjoying the season on a lot of levels. Loving Varner.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
This season is really enjoyable so far. Glad to see Shirin go since I really didnt like her the first time. I am actually rooting for several of them which is new for me, especially this early.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
They spent enough time with Tasha and Savage trying to find a crack in the new yellow tribe that it seemed obvious they'd go to TC.

That Immunity Challenge looked tough, and I don't remember it from its previous season, but I do remember the Brains tribe losing right off the bat.

While I appreciate Tasha and Savage turning the situation to their advantage, I would love to see them aligning themselves with Abi blow up right in their faces.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just cannot stand Abi, so i hope you are right. Popular sentiment is that Tasha's quote about needing to seek forgiveness (from her church) is foreshadowing that she will be a real villain, so I was surprised that her story was played rather positively after calling Varner a rat, and going to TC.

Spencer got exactly the episode he needed to turn his horrible downfall around and back into a top tier potential winner.

I still have Jeremy top tier too.

This is quite an enjoyable season so far. I like when the edit is more evenhandedly balanced in time and story.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tasha yelling 'rat' at Varner was a bit too 'big', even if, sure, he ought not to have been so blatantly trying to communicate with an ex-and-future ally. And everybody labeling what Varner did as a 'meltdown' are overstating it, I think...

But the target-shifting pre-Tribal was really fun to watch.

I'm enjoying this. It was for the best that they took a break from returning players... But I like that break being over now.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>>>And everybody labeling what Varner did as a 'meltdown' are overstating it, I think...
The thinking at the edgic site is that he DID have a meltdown, and posters gave examples of editing cuts that hid it/softened it. Which is exactly the kind of crafted editing that happens for an F4 player who's going the distance.

Also, based on editing: Eight of the players did not get E1 confessionals - Keith, Monica, Peih Gee, Shirin, Stephen, Terry, Vytas and Woo. Three of them are the first three boots. the other five look to be in poor positions for a lot of reasons. I'm predicting Woo goes next on Angkor, especially if they go to TC next week again.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Then I don't like the edit. If he blew up - cursed out Tasha or something - we ought to have seen that, you know?... Even if he wishes he hadn't done it... feels like 'cheating' to allude so much to something we didn't get to witness...

But yeah. I agree that theory is probably right... Makes more sense than calling what we SAW a 'meltdown', because it wasn't...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>>>>Then I don't like the edit. If he blew up - cursed out Tasha or something - we ought to have seen that, you know?... Even if he wishes he hadn't done it... feels like 'cheating' to allude so much to something we didn't get to witness...

That's what's so different from Big Brother. Survivor is clearly edited based on the endgame, so we often see very 'crafted' winner edits. I will be very surprised if Varner isn't endgame.

The edgic site has the list narrowed to six possible winners based on edits - no spoilers. It's pretty cool to talk thru the process. It's different from 'old-skool' spoiling, but a lot of fun because there ARE surprises. Tony was a big one, because we DID get to see a lot of his warts and so people were saying things like, "The editors would never let us see the winner doing_______ or saying _______ so Tony loses." But the 'big but flawed character winners' are becoming more common.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I still hate that Abi Maria is getting so much airtime.

Really thought that Woo was going to get the boot. I hope he was lying when he told them all he was going to work with them until the end if they kept him. Did he learn his lesson from his previous season?

I'm guessing Cass' rambling about a "good" person winning this season was some kind of fore-shadowing. The birthday gift/fake Immunity Idol was funny.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought it would be Woo going too. I dont think he learned anything from last time lol. Dont see him making it very far anyway. I feel like he had more personality last time, maybe an editing thing?

Abi is obnoxious but she is pretty much the only drama with everyone else being so nicey-nice so I dont mind her for now. I dont want her making it too far though, maybe just past the merge.

Love the challenges when people get beat up (yeah i'm one of those people who laughs when other people fall down too), those puzzle pieces did look very heavy.

Hoping one of the other tribes loses next week, I dont like when one tribe just gets totally destroyed every week.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Even going two-to-three tribes, all four cast off so far were from the same original tribe...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good blindside..

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Agree great blindside! This season is very entertaining.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, good blindside! Sometimes I think they use the term too freely but it certainly applied this time.

Abi really is a clueless human being. Even if I thought Woo was telling the story about his mom to sway people, I wouldn't express that to someone I've only known for a short period of time.

Nice that Angkor finally got an immunity win. Hate it when one tribe gets sent to tribal every week.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was thrilled about Angkor getting immunity. And then there was a legit blindside. Good episode for a change.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Did Spencer play a part in Kass getting booted from their previous season? That's the only reason I could think that she'd hate him so much.

Too bad about Terry but it was good to know his kid is doing well.

The eating challenges are fun and kinda awful to watch. I don't know how they do it. I wonder if being so hungry helps. I'm still shaking my head over the tarantulas.

Didn't mind seeing Woo go. Spencer is a source of more drama. I felt bad for him when he found out Savage wanted to send him home.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
No, she stayed one Tribal beyond him... Their rivalry was mostly over petty shit, I think, but it made for a fun reunion tonight, and I like that she saved him (to boot Woo, which is funny, since he was also in their season, and placed ahead of them both..).

Food challenge - yuck.

Terrible for Terry, but I'm glad it turned out okay. I'd have been panicked and frustrated if that was all the info given - I doubt it was, and they just preserved privacy as much as possible by only showing what they did, but... He's in the hospital WHY? Tell me everything the doctor and my wife said...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tasha and Spencer (and a lot of folks) blame 'Kaos kass' for blowing up their games for no sensible reason last season they played. Even given her thought processes in confessional it was hard to understand Kass's strategy other than "throw shit at the wall, see what sticks, adapt and move on." There's nothing worse than an unpredictable ally. And that's actually Abi this season. I hope she and Kass together are gold.

And that Spencer repays Kass by booting her ass next episode. :D

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
EW has more from Jeff about how Terry left, it was interesting as everyone was woken in the middle of the night and jumped into action.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: