Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Summer Viewing; 2015
Topic Started: May 23 2015, 12:40 PM (1,716 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I still have tons of things to catch up on.

I have not sampled Wayward Pines yet, but I probably will.

I will check out Aquarius on Thursday... first two air together, but if you like it, the whole season will be on nbc.com and hulu all at once, Netflix-style...

I haven't started Orphan Black 3 yet, but will this weekend... #6 airs tonight - has anybody been watching? Total silence... I know Bilki lost BBC America... what about the rest of you?

I haven't started Penny Dreadful 2 yet...

I'm prioritizing hulu-and-what's-on-my-dvr... then a bunch of Netflix/Amazon stuff, and HBO/Showtime (recent stuff) that I maybe saw one or two of and then stopped putting on the dvr because I knew I could watch them On Demand or on their apps later...

Tired. Some days off coming, thank goodness...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Have been watching Orphan Black although I missed the last one. Hope to catch it soon. I don't really enjoy the direction this season has gone as much as earlier seasons. Also it's been a busy tv time. I am unsure about whether I will watch masters of Sex. The trend in TV seems to be characters who are hard to like or relate to. I have enough of that in real life. The acting is terrific. The story? Eh.

I think part of it is that I have so much on my plate that TV isn't so compelling. We'll see how it goes as my ambition wanes...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked the first season of Masters of Sex more than the second, but am pretty optimistic about the next one - I like that they're jumping forward in time quite a bit...

Extant is my 'I don't expect I'll watch any more'...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hannibal! I feel like I've been waiting forever for the new season. Wish they had the previous seasons on NetFlix.

Maybe I'll give Wayward Pines a look if I can find it on FOX OnDemand.

Curious about Sense8 on NetFlix, and I'll give Humans on AMC a try.

Aside from my trash TV on BRAVO, I'm down to Game of Thrones. Haven't cared much for this season of Veep.
Edited by bilki, May 23 2015, 02:23 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am very anxious for Hannibal and plan to be a next-day-watcher, not be 7 or 8 behind all the time this year...

Interested in Humans.

Curious about Sense8, for sure, but I don't think I'll do the usual watch-the-first-one-and-then-catch-up-on-the-rest-later... I don't wanna watch #1 until I'm ready/able to watch them all...

Veep is one I just saw #1 of, and need to catch up...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I need to check out the summer list, especially for new stuff. I won't be in 'summer mode' until the 12th, when my workshop is done. I'm going to try to be very discriminating with adding new shows.

I haven't seen the most recent Orphan Black. The first couple were really awesome in set up and intensity, but I agree with tgir - the story seems to have meandered into a direction I'm not really interested in. I'll post my thoughts in the OB thread sooner or later.

>>>>> The trend in TV seems to be characters who are hard to like or relate to. I have enough of that in real life.

Big fat agree. I could visit the pity party thread daily, especially with 'petty pities." I feel like again I've got the death of a 1000 small cuts going on. A friend recc'ed the hot new thriller book "The Girl on the Train" and I read the recaps and said, nah. I need to care about my flawed people. And I'm really tired of the overused 'unreliable narrator' trope.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/wet-hot-american-summer-ballers-more-summer-tvs-most-intriguing-new-shows

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax, did you see what Feinberg said about Sense8? It made me chuckle.

I keep forgetting that Rectify will be back this summer.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah... I haven't seen Cloud Atlas yet, but I do have a friend that loved it a lot (though his was a minority voice of praise for it...).

They still haven't been more specific than 'July' for Rectify's return... But I'm very excited about that...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh, I saw an article that said it begins on Thursday, July 9.

I don't know why I'm intrigued by Sense8, as I didn't even like The Matrix. I wanted to leave the theater during the first one but the friend I was with was really liking it.
Edited by bilki, May 25 2015, 05:56 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cool. Hadn't seen that.

Wow. Almost everybody seemed to love the first Matrix... (1999 was a good year for movies, and when I met my wife...)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tomorrow - Halt and Catch Fire. Sepinwall says it's much improved from last year (and I liked it pretty well then, though I did agree that it was finding itself as it went along...).

Monday - So You Think You Can Dance 12 starts...

I'll be sampling UnReal on Lifetime... this stars one of my dearest crushes, Shiri Appleby, and has a fun premise, being about a dating-reality-show producer (coincidentally, one of my good friends works as a casting director for reality shows, and used to work at Lifetime...). It's created by Buffy's Marti Noxon (who also worked on Mad Men...). I think I'll like it... it's ten episodes.

Thursday - Hannibal Season 3 starts. Huzzah!

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
During the podcast, the comment that was made about Halt and Catch Fire is that it is continuing to be as good if not better than the end of the first season, which was good already. It was just the first few episodes before things were defined that weren't as good.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't like Matrix either.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Looking forward to this. http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-lifetime-takes-on-the-bachelor-with-strong-new-drama-unreal

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
They have the last two episodes of S2 of Hannibal on NBC OD. That S2 finale still blows me away. Doubt I'll get to watch the S3 premiere tomorrow night but I should get to it on Friday.

I noticed they are running episodes of Rectify on Sundance starting on this Saturday, I think late night. I'm considering re-watching S1, as it's such a unique 6 hours of television.
Edited by bilki, Jun 3 2015, 11:45 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wayward Pines (Fox) ... (10-part 'event series')
-
Matt Dillon -- Ethan Burke
Carla Gugino -- Kate Hewson
Toby Jones -- Dr. Jenkins
Shannyn Sossamon -- Theresa Burke
Reed Diamond -- Harold Ballinger
Tim Griffin -- Adam Hassler
Charlie tahan -- Ben Burke
Juliette Lewis -- Beverly
with Melissa Leo -- Pam
and Terrence Howard -- Sheriff Arnold Pope

Premiered 5/14, four have aired.

Strong cast - I especially enjoyed Leo's psycho nurse. Kind of a fun Twilight Zone-y mind-fuck. Secret Service agent is looking for a missing fellow agent and nearly gets killed in a car accident. Wakes up in Wayward Pines, Idaho, where everybody is weird, and he cannot leave.

I haven't decided if I'll watch more.

--

David Duchovny in ... -- Sam Hodiak (before-the-title billing)
Aquarius (NBC) ... (13 episodes)
-
Grey Damon -- Brian Shafe
Gethin Anthony -- Charlie Manson
Emma Dumont -- Emma Karn
Claire Holt -- Charmain Tully
with Michaela McManus -- Grace Karn
and Brian F. O'Byrne -- Ken Karn

Premiered 5/28, three have aired, but all 13 are now available on demand, nbc.com, or at hulu.

Los Angeles, 1967. Cop Duchovny is looking for his ex-girlfriend's daughter, who has gotten mixed up with this Charles Manson guy... I like the period, I love the music. Fun to see Anthony (was Renly on GoT) and Dumont (was Melanie on Bunheads). First hour not immediately absorbing, but it's okay.

I haven't decided if I'll watch more.

--

UnReal (Lifetime) ... (10 episodes)
-
Shiri Appleby -- Rachel Goldberg
Craig Bierko -- Chet Wilton
Freddie Stroma -- Adam Cromwell
Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman -- Jay
Johanna Braddy -- Anna
Aline Elasmar -- Shia
Nathalie Kelley -- Grace
Josh Kelly -- Jeremy
Ashley Scott -- Mary
Breeda Wool -- Faith
and Constance Zimmer -- Quinn King

Premiered on Monday, 6/1, but the first four are available now at Lifetime's site (but they censor even the mildest of profanities like 'bitch' there, which was strange...).

Co-creator Sarah Gertrude Shapiro made a 20-minute short film called Sequin Raze a few years ago (that I'd like to see - it co-stars Anna Camp, Ashley Williams, and Frances Conroy) and Lifetime bought it and gave it to Marti Noxon to make into a series. We're taken into the world of reality-tv producing, following Appleby (whom I've long adored) as she returns to her old job after an embarrassing meltdown the year before. I've never had any interest in The Bachelor, but I'm familiar enough with the format (I DID watch VH1's Flavor Flav dating show...) to know that this feels like a pretty realistic depiction... Fun roles for Zimmer and Bierko. Funny and interesting.

I'll be watching all of these.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was so excited for Hannibal that I forgot that Wayward Pines also airs on Thursday nights. I'll have to watch EP4 OnDemand, though I don't think the show is good enough to sit through the commercials, lol. I've read enough people talking about how viewers will react to the twist in EP5 that I was thinking I'd watch at least through that episode.

So pleased to have Hannibal back, though I felt somewhat confused through most of the episode. Mikkelson's accent doesn't help. But I've read about and thought about the episode enough that I think I'm ready to watch it for a second time. It's nice to have something to watch that really makes me think about the human experience.
Edited by bilki, Jun 7 2015, 07:50 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like Pines a lot. And having read the book, I can tell you that it is a very twisted story. If they stick to the story, it should be quite interesting.

Aquarius is ok, I'm not sure about it.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Enjoyed EP4 of Wayward Pines more than the previous episode. Probably because I was curious how Ethan would handle his change in circumstances. I have no theories as to what's going on but I am curious if whoever brought him to the "town" was expecting him to be so intent on escaping. Seems like a odd plan.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think it will be clear why he is there in another episode or 2.
It is a fairly unique plot.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Like usual I forgot to DVR everything. I'll have to go try and catch them onDemand.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Our VCR is acting up and I have to be doing On Demand a lot lately.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We have watched 2 of Sense8 so far. It is totally weird but I like it. I also like the cast which is very international. I also like that the Chicago stuff was actually filmed there, unlike Good Wife. For any of you that has watched any of it, the bar the Chicago cops were meeting at was a real bar, about 2 blocks from where we lived.

My hsb is a bit iffy on it, but I think he will hang in there.

Ditto with Pines.

We are also watching Bosch on Amazon. We both read the books. Sort of the hard boiled old school cop thing, been done before. But OK.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm plugging along on the last four or five I had to watch of Empire, Jane the Virgin, The Blacklist, Person of Interest...

Cool to hear you like Sense8.

I liked the first episode of Bosch, but haven't been able to get back to it (I do like Titus Welliver a lot - Glenn Childs on The Good Wife, Jimmy O'Phelan on SOA, Silas on Deadwood, and the Man in Black on Lost...)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Welliver has done a lot, and he is one of those guys that is good enough to carry a series. The woman who was the red haired FBI freind of Jack's on 24 is his love interest. Like I said, it is sort of predictable but good as many things on.

Gate might like Sense8...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I like her (Annie Wersching). She's pretty. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1156709/

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I watched the first 5 of Wayward Pines (meaning I'm caught up it isn't on next week.) I'm looking forward to sampling Deutschland 1983 on Sundance, which from what I understand is in German with English subtitles.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Orange ITNB Season 3
-
Back full-time after Recurring in 2 - Alex.
Out - Larry.
6 Promoted up to Main - Selenis Leyva (Gloria Mendoza), Adrienne C. Moore (Black Cindy Hayes), Dascha Polanco (Daya Diaz), Nick Sandow (Joe Caputo), Yael Stone (Lorna Morello), Samira Wiley (Poussey Washington).
14 regulars, listed Piper, then alphabetically (the other five are Crazy Eyes, Taystee, Healy, Nicky, and Pennsatucky), closing 'with Kate Mulgrew' 'and Laura Prepon'.

I've only seen #1 so far. At least one of my Facebook friends has already finished 13...
I'm spoiled that somebody leaves after #3 - I hope that person will be back in Season 4...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am going to try Deutschland as well, but I sometimes have no patience with subtitles.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · TV News & Misc. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: