Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
True Detective; Season 2
Topic Started: Apr 30 2015, 07:09 PM (923 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/04/30/nic-pizzolatto-says-true-detective-season-2-wont-have-references-or-homages/

https://medium.com/@TrueDetective/q-a-with-true-detective-creator-and-showrunner-nic-pizzolatto-8cc72b62c1a

http://deadline.com/2015/05/true-detective-season-2-posters-vince-vaughn-colin-farrell-rachel-mcadams-taylor-kitsch-1201423230/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/nic-pizzolatto-true-detective-season-2-better-than-season-1

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Reviews seem to say it is even darker than the first season. In any case, i am in.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm in, too.

I've seen every possible comparison... 1 far superior; no, 2 looks to be better; different in many ways, but maybe on the same par of quality...

Should be interesting.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think I might wait and binge it OnDemand if people really like it. It sounds very dreary. The local TV critic was not a fan of s1 much tho we've often liked a lot of the same stuff.

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2015/06/19/Tuned-In-HBO-s-Detective-goes-over-the-top/stories/201506190081
Edited by KMInfinity, Jun 21 2015, 10:07 PM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My expectations are low, so that should help me get through the season. Unless I become completely bored, I'll probably stick with it. And it's only 8 episodes?

It was cool to see James Frain. He was one of the few good things about Intruders.

Enjoyed the conversation with the McAdams' character and her father. Also liked the song the singer was singing. Not much of the rest of it held my undivided attention. I might watch it again after reading some reviews and I have a better idea of what was going on.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Only eight, yeah.

Colin Ferrell -- Det. Ray Velcoro
Rachel McAdams -- Ani Bezzerides
Taylor Kitsch -- Paul Woodrugh
Kelly Reilly -- Jordan Semyon
and Vince Vaughn -- Frank Semyon

Not a lot to go on yet, as far as the story goes... I wasn't bored. Good music in it..

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We started to watch it but my husband decided to talk about his parents and their situation and some of the general issues, so I wasn't able to follow much and we turned it off partway through.

I don't know that I am in. I know it didn't get a fair shot because of things that aren't due to the show. But I have lower tolerance for dark these days and especially when I think that something is dark for dark's sake and not because of the story.

I like the actors, with Vaughn being the one exception and I don't hate him usually. A couple of the actors I really love a lot.

My overall impression was that the story seemed to be very, very disjointed. Again: seemed artificially so, part attempt to get us background on all of the characters quickly but also partly disjointed to be disjointed.

May or may not be in for more, depending. Not a 'must see.'

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked it, but it was somewhat confusing. The last few minutes tied the characters together.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Didn't feel disjointed to me, really... Just 'here are these four people', all in media res... Only two know each other... They all have their stories, but... What's THE story? Not evident 'til the last scene, and even then, it was an 'okay, so now what's it going to be about? This murder? Okay...'

It is dark.

Farrell's threat to the kid will be memorable.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I actually think it should be legal to do that to bullies,,,,Obviously we have an anger issue here. I wonder if there will be repercussions.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's nice to know I wasn't the only one who found it slightly incoherent. I saw some others making similar comments at the other sites.

I'm all for bullies getting a taste of their own medicine but that was taking it to a whole other f-ed level.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow, last few minutes of epi 2, blew me away!

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, that was quite the cliffhanger.

There was a 'Who's That Guy?' bugging me in one scene... Jon Lindstrom, who was the fourth and final Craig Montgomery on ATWT...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Haven't seen #3 yet, but will tonight..

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/nic-pizzolatto-cary-fukunaga-true-detective-feud.html

I missed that THR article last August, I think...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like the show a lot, but it is sad that all of these departments are really working against each other and not together.

Spoiler, Dax don't read until you have seen #3.

Glad the weird cop was not killed...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like it, but not as much as a lot of other things I'm watching right now...

Yeah, I didn't really think Velcoro would exit so soon, but it LOOKED bad...

I've seen comments from people not liking Vince Vaughn in this, but I like what he's doing.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
My husband is hating this show. I'm lukewarm so far. Not a fan of Vince Vaughn in this show. I guess I'm finding it boring. It hasn't caught my attention yet.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am not a big Vaughn fan but I think he is right for this role. The show is well cast, everyone is pretty screwed up but well.....

I don't understand why the wife is insisting on having a child (they are both pretty old), but mostly because their world is up for grabs and he is actually in a dangerous position.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow, a little violence there...
I am not sure exactly who the guys with the weapons were working for..

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't realize how much I don't care for Vince Vaughn until the opening of EP2, which was when I decided to skip this season unless I start seeing rave reviews. The main reason I enjoyed S1 was because of the two leads, and I don't see lightening striking twice here.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked lAst year more but still ok with this one. Vaughan is ok in this role...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Scary shootout.

They were going to arrest the Mexican pimp that's been pawning Caspere's things. The big explosion suggested the guys with the guns were protecting a cookhouse.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ok this is a really good article that clarifies this mess of a show ~

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kirstenking/im-so-confused#.kozq0VLbz

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
That is helpful for faces and names (in #4, I couldn't recall what Dr. Pitlor looks like), but I hadn't found the goings-on all that confusing, I guess. I did forget about missing Vera.

Bates Motel did a similar thing with missing girls and sex parties with the super-rich last season.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jul 16 2015, 11:00 AM

Bates Motel did a similar thing with missing girls and sex parties with the super-rich last season.
Yeah but Bates Motel is easy to follow. I'm having a hell of a time with True Detective. I think the main problem is that it is boring me to death.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think it is confusing, but so are a lot of shows now. I actually like it a lot.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't know how true this is, but I found this comment interesting. I'd seen the book mentioned by people a couple times already, but not a listing of ALL these similarities...

>> Last season lifted dialog from Thomas Ligotti. This season has lifted entire characters, backstories, threads from James Ellroy’s The Big Nowhere. For god’s sake, it’s a novel about three cops in LA, one of whom has a wife who was raped and had the kid… one is a young handsome sheriff’s detective who is gay but hiding it… a killer who wears an animal mask… a murdered man with his eyes gouged out and his genitals mutilated who is driven around in the back of a car… COME ON. It’s pathetic.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I never had read those so it's new to me

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well my husband had the Cox guy here and I didn't know what all they were doing. Somehow HBO got cancelled. We had talked about how many shows we don't watch on HBO however I did want to finish true detective. Oh well. I'm sure someone here will clue me in.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: