Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Survivor - Worlds Apart; Season 30
Topic Started: Jan 21 2015, 01:27 PM (1,339 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2015/01/21/cbs-announces-the-18-castaways-competing-on-the-30th-edition-of-survivor-691402/20150121cbs02/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/458/-30-seasons-of-survivor-epic-blindsides-machiavellian-maneuvering-icky-bug-bites/

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
A few tidbits from the opening stood out. Dan, with the gray beard, said he was intent on being remembered. Lindsay, the girl with the tats, claimed she's the most mentally strong person on the planet. She also said someone from the blue collar tribe would win.

That guy puking after eating the scorpion made for a good laugh.

Carolyn finding the idol after the other two lied about it was funny, too.

Shirin said she's been applying for 10 years and has never been more prepared for the show but she sure sucked at that puzzle.

Surprised they turned on So so quickly.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I enjoyed it a lot. Wasn't sure I'd like the premise, but as always it comes down to casting and characters. Seems like some good ones.

So far I'm liking WC Carolyn, BC Scorpion Mike, and NCs Jenn and Joe.

Reserving judgment on WC Tyler, BC Rodney, and Will. As usual, most of the girls seem interchangeable. I don't think it's me and my feminist sensibilities, but the girls themselves.

Vince is c-r-e-e-p-y. Off to look for spoilers and to see if Vince is already screaming 'I got a bad edit.'

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was nice to have some distinct characters right off the bat. I feel like I made myself learn more names than I usually do at this point.

Vince seemed more like an opportunistic-cult-leader kind of guy than a laid-back free spirit. Did you see anything about him complaining about his edit, KMI?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
:D Funny you should ask.

One strategy (old school in style) to analyzing future gameplay is keeping track of who's following who on Twitter, who's friends with who on FB...seems Vince is not so popular with the Survivors now that they're home...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Was that really a blindside? Sometimes I think Jeff is too liberal with the term. It seemed like Vince had some idea he might go.

Don't understand why Joe-Jenn-Hali chose to split their vote. Kind of a dumb move but I'm pleased it worked out for them.

Nina's tantrum was a bit of a surprise considering I'd imagine she's previously dealt with the experience of feeling left out in her real life.

Tyler trying not to look at the half-naked Shirin made me chuckle.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>>>>Don't understand why Joe-Jenn-Hali chose to split their vote. Kind of a dumb move but I'm pleased it worked out for them.

Because of they way idols are now indiscriminately everywhere ever since Russell Hantz. (Some of) The new players are rumored to have tutorials with past players in a "Survivor 101" style. That's why so many can make fire almost from Day One.

The split was because they knew Nina was actively looking for the idol. They don't always show the idol business if it isn't directly affecting play, but they may have already been told they're out there and already gotten clues. The 'idol business' is often 'Plan B' for the editors only if the cast is boring and this bunch seems to have some characters so they're getting airtime relating to that rather than Idol-angst plots.

I will bet she pretended to find it and that's a good strategy if no one else actually has it yet. So (if Will had gone along with the plan) two vote for her, two vote for Vince, and Vince-Nina vote for X. Nina plays the idol, Vince and X tie. Will, Jenn-Hali vote Vince, Nina votes Joe.

The assumption is that splitting the vote is a safe way to flush idols because the spliiers will have the majority in the revote. Someday, someone is gonna realize a splitter could revote wrong or change his mind and force a second tie. But everyone is afraid of the Purple Rock, so that's unlikely unless there's another really game naive player like last season's Keith.

I'm really glad Will switched up. Stupid Vince. Glad he's gone and not Jenn-she reminds me a LOT of someone I know.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Random Notes based on editing.... just for the heck of it.

*WC got only one scene. That's never happened with 3 tribes before. ::da da dummmm::

*Rodney seems like he's being set up for a really negative villain role.

*It's never ever happened before department: after TC, we did NOT 'come back' to camp with the white collars... hmmmm...

*A great GREAT winner quote: Will - "I don't want to see you again until the end, Jeff!" (Though the editors have gotten good at inserting winner style quotes for a lot of the cast.)

*A lot of people (NC Jenn-BC Mike-WC Max) are getting heaping helps of BOTH pos/neg editing, including SPV.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought they dumped the purple rock of doom as people hated it and the rules were changed again. Then again perhaps it is only not an option if someone has individual immunity in the special Survivor magazine I got in honor of the 30th season beginning Jeff wrote how the rules were changed because of what happened in Marquesas.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well he may have is mistaken - because fairly recently strategies included discussion of 'drawing rocks' and they drew rocks in #27.

from Survivor Wikia...
http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Tiebreaker

Current Rules

Though implied in Survivor: Palau, the current rules for deadlock ties were further elaborated in Survivor: Samoa. Outside the show, slightly before the premiere of Survivor: Palau, Jeff Probst stated in an article on EW that the following rule was in effect since Survivor: Marquesas, except for the final four tribal council. As of the current season, the following rules will apply in breaking tied votes:

---If a tie occurs, a revote would happen (with the aforementioned rules applied).
---If there is a tie again in the revote and there are five or more castaways left in the game (not counting those on Redemption Island during seasons that have it in play), the Rock Drawing tiebreaker would happen. Everyone present at Tribal Council, except players who have Individual Immunity and those who have used Hidden Immunity Idols, and those who were tied, would draw a rock in a bag. The castaway who drew the rock that is differently colored than the others would be eliminated (or sent to Redemption Island if it is in play).
---At the Final Four, a revote may or may not occur. If there is no revote or if there is a tied revote, a firemaking tiebreaker will occur.
---If only two castaways remain on the losing tribe pre-Merge, no votes will be cast and a fire-making tiebreaker will occur. It is unknown how the Hidden Immunity Idol interacts with this tiebreaker.

The reason why the Rock Drawing tiebreaker is still in use is to prevent castaways from forcing a tie vote, putting members of evenly-numbered alliances in a precarious position (either to get a member from the rival alliance to tip the scales, to personally go to the rival alliance if flipping would be considered better for one's game, or to force a tie and hoping that a rival alliance would be eliminated through the Rock Drawing tiebreaker, regardless if the one eliminated is the main target or not).

The point I think is to cause a flip, because otherwise, the VOTERS are at risk and the targets are now safe.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps Jeff meant that now when there are 4 people left it is no longer an option, which is what he should have said...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Agree that wasn't a blindside.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

*It's never ever happened before department: after TC, we did NOT 'come back' to camp with the white collars... hmmmm...

I noticed that but wasn't aware it was something that hadn't happened before. Maybe they had a boring conversation when they got back?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's ALL boring...lol, until the editors manipulate the context or ASK about it to create a confessional... I don't remember when it started but for a loooong time now the tribe that attends tribal council 'gets' to explain their vote. There have been some really boring votes in the past but they still got the clip explaining it. In this case, there could have been some content developed to explain why Tyler sided with Max's side, and something from Joaquin about his chances now, or how he'll need to adapt/accommodate/kiss ass, blah blah...

The fact that there was NO content to explain Tyler's decision looks very very bad for Tyler's chances to win, and based on editing he had the BEST chance of the white collars so if he's the best they got... da da dummmm

Most analysis has it narrowed to four/five players already, with any chance to win at all - based on previous edits...
Edited by KMInfinity, Mar 6 2015, 06:41 PM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think I'd rather watch them have a separate reward challenge than all of that moot-point tribe interaction but it was fun to watch blue collar Lindsey and Mike go at it.

Poor Nina. I don't think she was really mentally prepared for the game. That was an interesting tribal council, though. I almost thought they were going to keep her.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>>>I think I'd rather watch them have a separate reward challenge than all of that moot-point tribe interaction
Almost the exact opposite reaction from the folks at the Survivor edgic site. :P

I'm thinking the winner will be someon e who combines all of the 'collar' skills, and can fit in anywhere.

Joe is my early pick.

Lindsey will not win. I hope Rodney won't either. He was looking good until his hissy fit.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I figured the ones who study the show appreciate all of that tribe interaction more that I do. I enjoy some of the arguments but for some reason I like how the two separate challenges breaks up the episode.

Joe is the young No Collar guy, right? I could see him making it to the end.

Which site is it that you like most for episode analysis, KMI?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
ugghhh. Just lost the post.

I really like TDT's stuff. He's an old old school spoiler from the dawn of the show. I used to be on a spoiler team with him.
http://www.truedorktimes.com/s30/recaps/e3.htm

Rob Cesternino also has a good site for in-game insight.
http://robhasawebsite.com/category/survivor/survivor-2015-worlds-apart-season-30-cbs/

He has recappers who summarize each scene - a true recap - and analysis. He also has a podcast, usually with a guest, which can be great or blah. He also does a great job with interviewing the recently voted off.

The really nitty gritty analysis is on Sucks or private sites - Sucks spoiler forums if you don't mind crazies mixed in (the MESS forum there is pretty sensible).
http://survivorsucks.yuku.com/directory/

PTV recaps.
http://previously.tv/shows/survivor/s30/
Episode discussion...
http://forums.previously.tv/forum/82-survivor/

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
First hour injury... Ow.

Second hour Tribal Council... Hee. That was funny.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I kept forgetting about Kelly, so I wasn't even sure who Jeff was talking about when she got hit in the face. And she had that blindfold over her face, which didn't help. She seemed to be the smartest person on the Blue Collar tribe, but can you still be an undercover cop after talking about it on Survivor?

Those BC guys all seem like morons, with Rodney being The King of the Morons. Lindsey was annoying, too, but I was really hoping they'd give Rodney the kick-to-his-ass.

Kinda disappointed in how the tribe swap turned out with all those strong guys on the one tribe.

It was funny to hear the No Collars saying the same thing about Shirin that the White Collars had been saying.

I'm not sure why they went with Max over Shirin for eviction. Seems like he'd be a bigger asset in challenges, and it sounded like Shirin is more annoying around camp. I'd consider that a for-real blindside, though.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, you don't return to undercover work if you've talked about it on tv...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
They surprised me a bit with the Joaquin eviction. I was hoping it could be Rodney but I'm happy Joe made it to the merge. I'm curious to see if he'll be able to dominate individual immunity challenges.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mike's edit is becoming epic. The only flaw is that episode where everyone bitched about him working too hard and I'm not entirely sure that's bad on a blue collar themed tribe. At this rate he's either winning, or he's the major distraction/obstacle in the finale for the winner to beat.

Joe is really UTR at this point and that's especially bad in the swap episode. There's a theory that the merge episode (this wed?) always tells a bit of the winner's 'personal' story and sets up the winner's path/road/problem. A bad merge episode (either negative or too light in story) is unusual for the winner. he needs a good one to get back on top, edit-wise.

Jenn is still high on my list. She had an amazing couple of positive episodes following the bad stuff with Nina. That turtle story is winner reel quote material for sure. I like her. She reminds me of S1 Jenna.

Hali is UTR, but gets a lot of air time for random reasons which is how low key winners get air time since they aren't key strategy players.

Tyler and Will are still on my possible list. everyone else is toast AFAICS.

I read about a new twist Survivor is trying, and this could be wacky if it's what people are speculating. Jeff calls it a 'jump-the-shark' possible move??? (Does he understand what that means?) And Shakespearean in how it plays out; and he predicts they'll use the twist in the future....

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/24/jeff-probst-names-his-favorite-survivor-winner-non-winner-twist-challenge-and

People are predicting the twist is either a BB-style Coup-d-e'tat where a player wins a 'black vote' to cancel a vote, or wins an extra vote, so their vote counts double. Apparently they used a version in the French game, and the show has taken ideas from foreign survivors in the past.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
That's interesting about Mike. He doesn't appeal to me in any way, at this point, but I wouldn't say I dislike him, either. I suppose that would make Lindsey's prediction of someone from BC tribe winning a bit of foreshadowing. Although, I think her saying that was more of a way of stroking her own ego, rather than any real foresight.

Curious about this new twist. Hopefully, it stirs up some drama.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My girl Jenn is NOT going home with an idol. :D

Been a long time since I was actively a fan of someone winning this early in the game.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was fun the way that played out. I wouldn't say I was happy to see Kelly go but I am happy that Jenn stayed.

I knew Joe was going to win that challenge!

Disappointed in Will for turning on the No Collars. They kept him in the game when they shoulda/coulda sent him home. He couldn't even be loyal for the first vote?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well..... there's a possibility that Will voted that way after talking with Jenn and Hali, and knew it was Jenn. Here's why. Apparently everyone - EVERYONE knew it was Jenn, which is why she played the idol and didn't even discuss whether it should be given to Hali. In this scenario Will voted with Blue to keep the NCs in the loop, hoping they will trust him, and he can report back to NC. We were not shown any scenes of why Will decided to do this. And really, would YOU trust Mike and Rodney? It's possible he is totally out of everyone's loop, but I have a feeling...

Plus, Kelly was the target, and WC (what's left of them, Tyler and Carolyn) only went Blue because of Kelly, which suggests that they will float back to NC... Even though the numbers look grim, I am still calling it for for Jenn, with a strong Hali backup.

Mike's edit started the downward slope this episode. I think he's the big obstacle Jenn and the turtles face to win.

Joe's merge episode was very weak. He didn't even get to comment on how good it felt to win IC and be safe. He's done, I think. He had a great early story so maybe it can pick up again but I think even Will has a better shot at the endgame.

According to edgic, every player has major flaws in their edit at this point, which is actually good for viewers because it keeps the audience guessing. The editors have become very good at showing winners who are flawed and yet still (mostly) well received by the audience when they win. The only players I am certain doesn't win is Rodney/Dan. And even Dan has a story that could get him to the F3 finale albeit as the loser-goat.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks, KMI! It makes me feel a little better knowing that Will may be trying to play the middle with his Hali vote.

Poor Joe. I didn't even notice we didn't hear him comment on winning the first Individual Immunity until you mentioned it.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.hitfix.com/news/survivors-dangerous-new-game-changing-twist

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: