Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Rectify; Seasons 1 - 4
Topic Started: May 4 2013, 07:52 PM (1,561 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Anyone watching? We watched the first 3. The last hour was really dull. The actor is creepy but really effective in the role. It reminds me of Homeland that way. Jury still out on this one.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't started on it yet, but I've read good things about it.

It has been renewed for a second season.

The creator of this, remember, is Ray McKinnon, who played Linc Potter on Sons of Anarchy and Rev. Smith on Deadwood.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Aden Young -- Daniel Holden
Abigail Spencer -- Amantha Holden
J. Smith-Cameron -- Janet Talbot
Adelaide Clemens -- Tawney Talbot
Clayne Crawford -- Ted Talbot Jr.
Luke Kirby -- Jon Stern

Love Michael O'Neill as the villainous senator, and it's fun to see creator Ray McKinnon's Deadwood co-star Sean Bridgers as one of the murder suspects (and then W. Earl Brown as the 'Goat Man' in Episode 5)...

Enjoyed this a lot. I didn't think any of the episodes were dull.

Several unanswered questions in the finale... What did Daniel wrap up in the Christmas paper, and did he mean to leave it for Amantha in the back seat of the car? What did Daniel buy at the book store, and for whom? (Tawney, presumably) Did Teddy REALLY take the coffee grounds he woke up with around his ass, and put it back in the container? Ew.

Glad there will be a second season... definitely an unsatisfying ending if there wasn't going to be more...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, the coffee stuff was wierd. Show is different all right. Mom used to be on GL years ago...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh, wow... I had no idea... 1984-85... Nancy Ferris, Andy's blind sister... Lujack/Beth/Phillip stuff... right around when I started watching...

More recently, Sam's mother on True Blood...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ha, got you there, Dax! I read it somewhere, but have to say she looked familiar. But then I couldn't place her from TB....

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rectify made me nostalgic enough to play some early-90s Sega Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Makes me want to go back and watch old GL...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't pick it up when it started but today, there is a marathon. I missed the first episode and may try to catch it again.

I actually really like it. I enjoy the slow pace. I feel like I know these people. Very good cast.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
This show is very thoughtful and depressing. I didn't think it would get renewed. Off to a good start.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked the premiere very much.

Season 1 was six episodes. This year, we get ten.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't realize there were only six, and took place in one week's time.

I hope we see more of the (executed), inmate friend after he gets out of the coma. Like I said, this is a smart show, I am half amazed it got renewed. I love the cast.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Interesting first episode. I'm intrigued by the subject matter and I liked the tone of it. I can see why Dax says it's thought-provoking, and why Krystal said it's depressing as Hell. lol.

Aden Young's performance is going to have to grow on me. It felt so slow and deliberate. Really enjoyed Amantha and Daniel's mother. OK, I've been watching Michael O'Neill on Extant. Had to look him up. Pleased to see him here on a more "my kind" of show.

Fun bit of nostalgia with the mother being on GL all those years ago. I barely remember her (Nancy Ferris) but remember her brother, Andy, being the one responsible for Beth's blindness. Found a couple entertaining scenes with Alexandra and India because of this.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, a lot of O'Neill recently (also a bad guy on Bates Motel this season). A 'that guy' that has been in a lot over the years... was on West Wing as a Secret Service agent... imdb and wikipedia both say he did just six episodes on The Unit, but I thought it was a lot more than that... grieving father on Grey's, shot and killed two interns...

GL - Andy Ferris was the victim in the Valentine's Day murder mystery (1985)... Lujack went to jail for it (and met a reformed/remorseful Bradley, called 'The Professor', who'd help him escape...), but Floyd Parker did it.

Admired the first season of Rectify... but really LOVE it now, after Season 2... it's just... a beautiful show. Beyond the basic story pitch, it's kinda hard to describe. The plot is interesting, but it's not really about the plot. The pace is slow, but it's not boring (obviously, ymmv... to many people, 'slow pace' MEANS 'boring'...). It's a mood piece. It's a character study. I really came to care about these very realistic people. The last couple episodes have some real breath-taking scenes.

There are a lot of sad and miserable people in the show, but I find it rather more 'uplifting' than 'depressing' (Sorry, bilki, I know that was such a selling point for you...)

It's not in this thread, but I think I've mentioned it a place or two before... this was in development at AMC for awhile, and was going to be Walton Goggins' starring follow-up to his outstanding performance as Shane on The Shield. McKinnon won an Oscar for 2001 Live Action Short The Accountant (he wrote/directed/produced/co-starred; Goggins co-starred and produced and I used to see him listed as a co-winner of the Oscar on imdb, but that's been removed, and I do expect that's right - that he doesn't have a statue or is listed as 'a winner', but still...) I'd always also read that he and McKinnon wrote stuff together, so they were going to do Rectify, and I thought it sounded cool even back then...

Justified came together first, but that still didn't necessarily mean Goggins wasn't going to do Rectify, because at first Boyd was going to die in the pilot as he did in the original short story... but then, you know, that plan changed.

I do think, though, that as much as I love Goggins, Rectify works BETTER with Aden Young being completely unknown to me before this. It's good to have Daniel be someone you have no previous perceptions of...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

GL - Andy Ferris was the victim in the Valentine's Day murder mystery (1985)... Lujack went to jail for it (and met a reformed/remorseful Bradley, called 'The Professor', who'd help him escape...), but Floyd Parker did it.
The India/Alex scenes I found were of them both accusing the other of being the killer. I knew it wasn't either of them but had to look it up. Oh yeah! Floyd did it!

EP2: Sexual Peeling-

Another good episode. I love how they're exploring each person trying to deal with Daniel's return, and Daniel acclimating to what must feel like a whole new world.

Funny-awkward-intense scene at the driving range scene when Ted Jr asks Daniel about whether they get conjugal visits on death row, then hears about how Daniel was raped in prison.

Really great scene when we see Tawney and Daniel speak for the first time. She talks about her fondness for thunder in the summer, and he says something about the moments between the seconds. My eyes watered a little.

Awkward chuckle at Amantha walking up to hear Daniel indulging himself with his new Playboy magazine.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved India (and Mary Kay Adams) so much. And Alexandra... Beverlee McKinsey was my favorite soap actress, ever.

-

I think you'll really love Rectify, just based on your first/early impressions here...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved them both as well.

I am having some issues with the second season of Rectify, it seems to be moving at a glacial pace. But then I have only watched 3 epis. I think the lead is perfect in the role. As much as I love Goggins, I think this guy is better mainly because he was not well known before. He is really good in the part and gets that befuddled stare down perfectly.

It is a good cast altogether, no one really all that famous, or at least that known to me, makes the characters seem more real.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
'Glacial pace' isn't INaccurate, considering they kinda show the days as they pass, and there are several days in which, you know, not a whole lot seems to happen. But don't skip any... all the pieces matter. And by the end, it DOES feel like a lot has changed... there IS a lot of forward story progression. Just requires patience and an appreciation of the 'little things'.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I can see the glacial pace thing but I'm so intrigued by the characters that it's not bothering me at this point. I also kinda love watching Daniel get reacquainted with the outside world, and all the things we take for granted, so that helps, too.

Amantha and Tawney are quite interesting.

I like how the show deviates from what I expect to happen. I keep waiting for something terrible to happen with one of the townsfolk but all I've seen is the ambush by the camera crew, so far.

I'm definitely addicted. Not even waiting for Sundance to air the final 3 episodes so I can watch them on the bigger screen. Just going to deal with my iPad mini. I'll probably get a little frustrated when I have to wait for the S2 episodes to air.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
They do a good job of subverting expectations, yeah. There's a freedom in watching something and you can't safely say you know where it's going or moving towards.

Which is a good argument to anyone thinking 'It's too slow'... well, what are you waiting to see happen? I mean, I guess we want 'answers' to the central whodunnit mystery... Did Daniel kill Hannah? Will he be exonerated? But how quickly can we expect these answers to be given? Within the first sixteen hours? I'm not in a rush. I really was fascinated with everything presented so far..

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK I'm finished with Season 1 & Season 2 and love it. Yes it can be slow but it doesn't bother me. It is the little things that keep it going and doesn't frustrate me. Hubby saw the last 2 episodes of Season 2. Just kind of watching with me because he knew I liked it. He thought it was really slow but he didn't hate it. I had to keep pausing the show because he kept asking questions. I offered to go back and watch from Season 1 but he wasn't that interested.

WOW for the end of Season 2 ... Just WOW.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Really enjoyed S1. I haven't been motivated to binge-watch a show since I watched The Fall earlier this year. It's such a beautiful, yet tragic show.

I really liked how Tawney was "selling" how her baptism changed her to Daniel, but her scenes with Ted Jr suggested otherwise. It was like she was saying it because she wanted to believe it, and she wanted a reason to spend time with Daniel.

Hard not to love how Daniel demonstrated to Ted Jr how he could be raped in prison without fighting back.

So pleased when Daniel and Amantha finally had a bonding moment in the S1 finale.

I don't know why but I was most moved by the scene in which Kerwin, Daniel's death row neighbor, stopped to talk to Daniel before he was taken away to be executed.

I knew something bad had to happen eventually. That beating was rough, and the pissing made it all the worse. Makes it even more difficult not to root for Daniel being innocent.

Sundance doesn't re-air EP1 of S2 until next Monday at 6am, so I have to wait at least a week or more until I can start watching it.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Somoen (Dax?) who has wathced season 2 has to tell me....What happened at the cabin in Florida? The guy picked Daniel up on his bike and they went there to see someone. Then, I did not know what occured. I don't know if I missed part of theat epi or the next one. I gathered he was scum as was the guy in Florida.

Also, I missed the next to last one. Did something happen between Ted Jr and Daniel? Is the cop trying to get him to press charges? And how did Tawny lose her baby?

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Trey and Daniel went to see George (this is in 2.7). George, of course, was not at home (he's dead, and in the lake). In telling the story of what happened, Trey suggests George may have killed Hanna... and then insults her, infuriating Daniel, who shoves Trey hard against a wall. Daniel leaves a note apologizing for damage to the wall... but Trey's left some other things that might implicate a crime (the gun, I think...).

Trey's very rude to leave Daniel (and his bike) so far from home the next morning.

I don't think anything happened between Ted Jr. and Daniel in the second-to-last-one, but you REALLY have to see the Ted/Tawney fight in #9, and then the Tawney/Daniel stuff that comes after... it's very, very good.

Carl the sheriff isn't really PUSHING Ted Jr. into pushing charges (he's a little more objective), but Senator Foulkes was...

Tawney just miscarried. No big dramatic 'why', but it spurs the tremendous Tawney/Ted fight...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Half way through EP 7 (Trey hasn't talked about "that night" yet). I was watching them more quickly at first, then decided to slow down as all of my shows started ending. I dislike not having something to look forward to watch.

The most interesting thing, for me, has been how my feelings about Daniel have changed. Throughout S1 I wouldn't even consider that he wasn't innocent. Now I'm leaning more towards "not sure". Part of it is because Daniel seems to be so unconcerned about whether he goes back to prison, or not. I was so angry at him when he denied Bobby Dean had attacked him.

Nice awkward moment when Daniel and Tawney see each other again during Janet's birthday party. Then Ted Jr sees it happening and tells everyone Tawney is pregnant. Jerk! But I do love the back-and-forth between Ted Jr and Daniel.

I did feel bad for Ted Jr when the Sheriff told the Senator about coffee grounds incident.

Amantha getting stoned with her co-worker was funny. I was happy Amantha got to enjoy herself for a brief moment in time.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah. Not identifying Bobby Dean as one of the attackers was nuts.

I tend to think Daniel didn't do it, but it's nice to be 'not sure', and it's interesting that there are definitely moments where HE isn't sure...

Though you slowed down, they ARE all available to you now, On Demand?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sundance is/was airing them at 6am, so I have them all on the DVR.

Quote:

and it's interesting that there are definitely moments where HE isn't sure...
It seems like he doesn't remember at the end of 7. And while I can understand him being coerced to confess as a teenager, I still don't understand why he isn't taking a more active role in staying out of prison now. If you don't remember that you killed someone, why wouldn't you be more upset about spending half of your life on death row? Perhaps I'm too much like Amantha (strong-willed and assertive) to understand him.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Daniel's had some 'angry time' in prison... Kerwin (and his later visiting friend... I'm forgetting - what's his name, and what did Daniel call him?... a play on words on his name...) seemed to install a little bit of that quiet zen thing in him..

You'll be pleased (Spoiler!) to see Daniel put up a bit of a fight when there's plea bargaining to be done...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rectify and The Honorable Woman are both disappearing from on demand next Friday. My plan is to watch them both this weekend...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
You all seem to have much better On Demand choices than I do. Mine isn't all that comprehensive.

Episode 8 was pretty good. Another awkward situation when Tawney comes to pick up Daniel. Then, she doesn't tell Ted Jr about it. Uh-oh. But I was pleased how he seemed to come out of his funk a bit by telling Jon he wouldn't accept any more jail time. Creepy scene at the end with Daniel strangling the pillow.
Edited by bilki, Oct 17 2014, 10:16 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: