Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Watching and Sampling; Plans to view, pilot samplings 2014-15 season
Topic Started: Aug 27 2014, 09:12 PM (6,866 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hi.

This will be a big year for me of Final Seasons of Major Favorites... Mad Men (7 more episodes to finish Season 7), Sons of Anarchy (7), Justified (6), Boardwalk Empire (5), The Newsroom (aw, only 3 years of Sorkin-on-HBO)... and also several network shows I've always liked - Parks and Recreation (7), Glee (6), Parenthood (6), and former-network-now-streaming Community (6-but-then-we-also-need-a-movie). EDIT - Also the last seasons for USA's White Collar (6) and Showtime's Nurse Jackie (7) ...

The new network shows I'm most interested in are Gracepoint (though, um, it might not FEEL 'new'), Gotham, and... hm. Not much else, really. Curious about Constantine, I guess. Will check out a few, but it looks like a pretty crappy crop of newbies (in the fall; midseason looks a bit better).

On cable, I expect to be really excited about The Affair on Showtime.

How about you?

Blosslover has already seen a few of the on-line/on-demand sneak previews... which ones? How were they?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
So far I watched: Selfie, A to Z and Red Band Society. A to Z was on demand, while the others were online views (though while RBS was available online I could watch it on demand), and Selfie is now listed on demand too.

A to Z: I didn't expect to watch this as I had no idea it was available. I never saw a link about it on my twitter feed, but it was shown on NBC on demand. The show starts the chick who was the mother on How I met your mother and Ben Feldman from Mad Men. The episode was over 25 minutes without adverts, and the credits were at the end. So during the program, I was thinking that's Katey Sagal's voice, nice to hear her wish she was on this show. The show wasn't bad for the romantic comedy genre, and the basic premise was the finite time in a relationship. How it is set up, it looks like each episode will be a letter, so perhaps the goal is to make 26 shows in total, though if it works they'd have to play with that. It reminded me of a movie in some ways as the main characters work across the way from one another and they even define the whole concept of how you see someone or hear about someone and how then you hear about or see them all the time. I liked that usage, but honestly while NBC is airing it on Thursday night I can't see it being the next Friends. It wasn't awful, but not amazing.

Red Band Society: Basically this reminded me of Glee. Not Glee in later seasons, but Glee early on as it has dark humor. It doesn't have singing, but it has a group of people who would have never interacted unless they didn't share hospital stays. There are all types of people, from coma boy (Everwood TM who does the voice over), to the cheerleader, to the girl with the eating disorder etc. David Annabale (who was on Brothers and Sisters, which I didn't watch, and Reunion which I did and loved though it was disappointing how it didn't get a wrap up beyond some writing...I remember discussing it with you all years ago) is the main doctor. He has some gray, which is odd, but a part of me likes it. Octavia Spencer plays a "Crazy Bitch" at least according to her cup from Starbucks, and is the nurse in charge of the ward. I like her a lot in this role, which is good. (Wilson Cruz from My So Called Life plays a nurse in this too, so if you like him that was another cool thing.)

Selfie: John Cho and Karen Gillan (aka Nebula/evil blue girl in Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Who's Scottish Amy Pond Williams) star in this show, which is a play on "My Fair Lady", as the character's name is Eliza Dooley instead of Dolittle, though there is no singing so it should actually be a variation on "Pygmalion". Also Cho's character is named Henry Higgins, for goodness sake. When watching this I wondered how long could they really go with this concept, as it would only take so long for Eliza to become nice. Basically the reason that Eliza goes to Henry for help is that she is humiliated on a work trip after getting airsick and finding out that her boss that she was sleeping with was married. There is a voiceover on this show also, that Eliza does. By the end, Henry and Eliza have a tentative agreement and seem to like one another. We see more of Eliza's background like her hipster female neighbors, and such than Henry's so I hope it evens out sometime.

More later after I watch Forever, and whatever else I can find on demand and online as it seems like a lot of shows may be available early. (Forever is available online via Hulu Plus, ABC.com if you have it tied to your cable/satellite provider and on demand.) That said some may get Paley premieres first and then only get online, but that's fine too.
Edited by blosslover, Aug 27 2014, 09:42 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gillan is so pretty. Show sounds terrible, but I liked Emily Kapnek's Suburgatory, which also starred a gorgeous redhead doing some voiceover.

I've seen enough positive advance word that I expect I'll 'like' (the pilot of) Red Band Society, but I think I'll probably have to REALLY like it to commit to it, and I'm not sure that'll happen...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't watch Suburgatory so I can't compare. Here is Karen doing the ice bucket challenge as the pink power ranger... http://www.digitalspy.com/fun/news/a593043/karen-gillan-takes-on-the-ice-bucket-challenge-power-rangers-style.html#~oOfKgAv2CjzqZF

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We are back to not watching much which is our usual state. The Bridge, Honorable Woman, HOW, and Legends (just OK, is about it). I have Strain, Extant and Tyrant taped, but DH has very little interest in them, so we have been watching movies instead.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here is HitFix's fall preview section... http://www.hitfix.com/falltv

PS Dax have you read the EW fall preview in the magazine?

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not yet.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gotham is the only thing I feel like I need to check out. Other than Survivor, I feel like I don't have much to look forward to this Fall, lol.

At least I have S2 of Rectify to keep me occupied for a week or two.

Last year The Sopranos was keeping me busy.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am taping The Roosevelts but questionable that I will watch it.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Fall Season Preview with critics from the Television Academy. It is over 90 minutes long, I haven't watched it in full, but figured if anyone was interested that I'd share it.

http://www.emmys.com/events/fall-season-preview-2014

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tried to watch the Mysteries of Laura show, whatever it is called with Debra Messing. The Mom/Cop Cop/Mom thing was just so bad I couldn't keep it on even as background noise. I hope the next show that Enrico Colantoni (sp) from Veronica Mars gets is a LOT better.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oops - I'd had this in the wrong thread for a few minutes...

>> Haven't had time to read everything, but perusing the EW Fall Preview (and TV Guide's a little, too)... yeah. Impressions haven't changed much since the upfronts. This isn't a strong crop of network newbies. There are a few I'll check out for one reason or another ('I liked this person's last show', 'She's cute', 'Cast is good and I'll want to compare it to Broadchurch...'), but it's not an exciting bunch, really.

Highest hopes (network) are for Gotham.

Highest expectations (overall) are for Showtime's The Affair.

-

Recording Red Band Society right now, but might not get to it for a few days...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw a couple minutes of the Laura thing too and that was enough.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Z nation. One WD is enough. I was surprised to see Perreau (sp?)
Get killed in the first episode. I am not taping any more.
Edited by Krystal, Sep 18 2014, 11:21 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Spelling - Perrineau. That one flew completely under my radar, had to look it up...

-

Busy premiere week for me - Good Wife, Blacklist, Person of Interest, Agents of SHIELD, Survivor, South Park, Key & Peele, Modern Family, Nashville, Parenthood, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, SNL...

Only sampling two new ones - Gotham on Fox on Monday, and How To Get Away with Murder on ABC on Thursday.

-

Will want to see all of Transparent (11 episodes) on Amazon at some point (it premieres Friday), but no rush...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We are in Chicago so will have quite a few shows to catch up with. Good wife and some other s. Also last of Honorable Woman.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Red Band Society (Fox)
-
Octavia Spencer -- Nurse Jackson
Dave Annable -- Dr. Jack McAndrew
Astro -- Dash Hosney
Clara Bravo -- Emma Choto
Griffin Gluck -- Charlie
Zoe Levin -- Kara Soulders
Rebecca Rittenhouse -- Nurse Brittany Dobler
Charlie Rowe -- Leo Roth
Nolan Sotillo -- Jordi Palacios

Pretty good. I'm not going to make time for it now, but might wanna come back to it 'someday'.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gotham repeats Saturday I think so a heads up would be much appreciated. I am really overwhelmed at school and need to cut back and so don't want to add anything unless it's really good.
Edited by KMInfinity, Sep 21 2014, 09:28 AM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gotham (Fox)
-
Ben McKenzie -- Det. Jim Gordon
Donal Logue -- Det. Harvey Bullock
David Mazouz -- Bruce Wayne
Zabryna Guevara -- Captain Sarah Essen
Sean Pertwee -- Alfred Pennyworth
Robin Lord Taylor -- Oswald Cobblepot
Erin Richards -- Barbara Kean
Camren Bicondova -- Selina Kyle
Cory Michael Smith -- Ed Nygma
and Jada Pinkett Smith -- Fish Mooney

I love Batman.

I didn't watch Southland, so I don't know McKenzie well, but I liked him here.

I didn't watch (show developer) Bruno Heller's The Mentalist, but I did like his Rome (the half of it I saw... still have to get to Season 2 one of these days...).

Mazouz was the annoying mute kid on Touch.

Always enjoy seeing Logue in stuff.

Oswald is an early favorite.

Positive - I liked the look of it very much. Set design, architecture, cinematography... good stuff, and I like the (ala Bates Motel) kinda anachronistic touches, like some things seeming to set us in the 70s, but there are modern-ish computers, cell phones...

Negative - Tonally off in places... sometimes felt like it was trying too hard, and I would have preferred a subtler touch most of the time, some of it felt a bit 'too big'.... some of the action didn't work for me (the foot chase after Pepper had some ugly close-up-on-Jim-running shots)... but then there were some cool moments coming out of that style, too - when Frankie comes out to do bad things to our strung-up heroes, and Falcone makes his cool entrance to intervene...

I'm maybe a little disappointed because I'd kinda hoped I could say I 'loved' it right out of the gate, and I didn't. But... I AM in, because I'm interested to see how they play with this world and these characters. I want to see HOW things happen, even if much-less-comics-geekier-folks-than-me are almost certainly 'spoiled' and won't be in much suspense over WHAT is going to happen... (Yeah... Gordon's fiance, Barbara... I don't see her living happily ever after...)

I didn't watch Smallville as it aired. I did think the girls were cute enough and that I might enjoy it 'someday' that I bought Seasons 1-3 for $10 or less awhile back... but it's a ways down my Want To See 'Someday' list.

I'm in for at least the first season of Gotham. Batman has always been cooler than Superman, of course.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I still have fond memories of watching the Batman series from the 60s in early-morning syndication when I was a kid, so the main appeal of Gotham was feeling like I know many of these characters. Seeing them before they become The Big Bads was fun. The look of it was pretty cool, too.

With EW giving it an "Editor's Choice" I thought I'd like it more than I did, though. I guess I was silly to think it would have a little more substance. Also agree that it felt like they were trying too hard.

McKenzie was OK. There were times when he worked for me, and others when it seemed like he was acting. Maybe that was part of the character trying to fit in in at a new job? I'm having a difficult time separating him from his silly character on The OC, lol.

I was intrigued by whatever Falcone said to Gordon about loving the city, like everyone has a part to play whether they're good or E-VOL.

But why did Harvey shoot Oswalt after he told Gordon he had to do it? Was he trying to preserve some degree of "good" in Gotham?

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Harvey didn't shoot Oswald... Gordon took him to the pier, and 'faked' shooting him, allowing him to swim away...

Loved 60s Batman as a kid, and have enjoyed seeing some again recently on IFC... (met actress Sherry Jackson a few years ago - she had a two-parter on Batman, was Andrea on 1.7 of Star Trek and did a 1962 Twilight Zone...) Very pleased it's finally coming to DVD (and blu-ray, even).

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>Busy premiere week for me - Good Wife, Blacklist, Person of Interest, Agents of SHIELD, Survivor, South Park, Key & Peele, Modern Family, Nashville, Parenthood, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, SNL...

Ditto except Nashville. Never got into it. I have a friend who lives in Nashville and is always on the set as an extra. She was there yesterday.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Harvey didn't shoot Oswald... Gordon took him to the pier, and 'faked' shooting him, allowing him to swim away...
I watched the scene twice and couldn't figure that out, lol. Thanks, Dax!

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Your question made me doubt... wait, did the guys switch places?... but no. Oswald owes Jim. And for now, Harvey is satisfied that Jim passed the test...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Sep 22 2014, 11:50 PM
Batman has always been cooler than Superman, of course.
SACRILEGE!!! Alien baby from outer space VS angsty whiny broody vampire...oh wait, um ....

:firemad:

I never got into Batman compared to other superheroes. the draw that he was actually human didn't draw me, and I have never liked cool techie toys... :-D But I do like origin stories, so if it comes together strongly in the next few weeks I'll marathon it ondemand.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
Anyone watch Forever? Like it?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I always loved aliens but didn't care about superheroes. Watched a couple of the movies and felt rather meh..

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I did 2buddy, enough to keep going. I like Hirsch and Gruffudd, and I like the whole rebirth topic. I've seen this scenario in SF before so I will be interested in seeing the twists they put to it.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like it too. It holds your interest more than most crime solving shows and it's something different. I'm so tired of the same ol crap different day stuff.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have Madam Secretary and Scorpion taped but have not watched yet.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · TV News & Misc. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: