Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Summer Viewing; 2014
Topic Started: Jan 13 2014, 01:24 PM (3,296 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Loving it a lot. So is Mark. he knows more Scottish stuff and says it's pretty accurate in terms of history, if not plants. :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lily of the Valley played a vital role on Breaking Bad, so you'd think they'd be more careful, since its public awareness has risen quite a bit...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hey tgir...look what I found! Boy these bookers from Outlander might even be more obsessed than Game of Thrones readers.

http://outlanderplants.blogspot.com/

The blogger says the book and show are accurate except the seasons are off. Spring plants wouldn't be available after Samhain in November.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> more obsessed than Game of Thrones readers

That's a chilling thought. People MORE obsessed than a GoT reader? That's gotta be a high alert creep level, like when Caleb would look at Amber...

(Meanwhile, one of my best friends, Michelle-in-NY-that-I-went-to-college-with... she's FINALLY marathoning her way through Lost, and is loving it (mid-Season 2 now, Ben is still 'Henry')... so I had to reiterate again HOW insanely and happily obsessed I was with it during its run...)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax, was it you who said you like Rectify? I just started Season 1 and am hooked after just 3 episodes. I'm mad because they aren't on Demand (Season 1) but they are having repeats the next couple of weeks so I can record and watch them and then catchup on Season 2 hopefully. Really really good show.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought Season 1 was on Netflix. No?

Yeah, I love it. Season 2 (longer, 10 episodes, 1 was 6) just ended and I thought it was terrific. Great acting by all, beautiful photography, and it gives you a lot to think about...

The creator and head writer is an actor you've seen... played kooky fed Lincoln Potter on Sons of Anarchy (and Rev. Smith on Deadwood, but I don't remember if you've seen that yet...).

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I watched season 1, and have watched 4. have some banked, probably will watch. It is well done but depressing as Hell. Great acting. The mom was on GL many moons ago.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax, I forgot to check Netflix. Thanks.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Interesting about Rectify being re-aired on Sundance Channel. I see a block of the second half of S1 running in a couple days. Maybe I'll watch 1-3 on NetFlix, and record 4-6 to watch the on a bigger screen. I've been intrigued by it since I missed S1. And Krystal saying it's depressing as Hell makes me want to watch it even more, lol.

Glad you said something, Gate!

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
RE: Outlander. I should go back and re-watch the first episode. In the beginning, I had assumed spring because of the flowers, specifically. But yes, it was during Samhain and yeah, it did bother me a bit but I don't think I really thought it through. Lots going on at home so I am always semi-distracted, it seems.

I saw some but not all of season 1 of Rectify and really liked what I saw. I will try to catch the re-broadcast if I can. I haven't seen any of season 2 although I intended it. But I missed the first few and it seemed too hard to catch up. I was planning to wait for the marathon..

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am still really enjoying The Strain. I can understand why some are just Meh, but it captures a nice blend of science and horror, imo. And I really like a lot of the cast.

And now we have scary horror commandos. Yikes. If these guys are so legit why isn't Setrakian hooked up with them instead of the misfits from the CDC. Buffy would be rolling her eyes at them. :P

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've fallen three behind (7-9), but should watch them tomorrow...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah I'm two behind. What I wrote above about the new scary commando playahs was on 8/24.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Has anyone started Intruders yet?

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't yet. Been banking 'em...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Intruders

I watched the first, and really wanted to like it since I like some of the people but it just didn't catch my interest. It seemed very derivative of the many puppetmaster books and movies, going back to heinlein and the 50's. If things calm down at school and if it turns out to get good word-of-mouth I'll try #2 on Demand and catch up.

Did you see it, Bilki?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't started Intruders, yet. I was thinking I'd wait until The Leftovers ended and start watching it on Sunday nights. But I hadn't seen anyone say anything about it, so I was starting to think no one liked it. Maybe I'll see if they are doing episodes reviews on AV Club.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I saw the first two and am not sure what I make of Intruders.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Curiosity got the best of me, so I'm 2 in on Intruders now. Some of it seems a bit silly but I like the mood of it, and I'm intrigued by the mystery. The young girl, Madison, is fun to watch and the guy after her, Mr Shepherd, is fun, too.
Edited by bilki, Sep 12 2014, 09:34 PM.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think the subversiveness and ickiness is part of why I kept watching Satisfaction. I'm behind with episodes right now as I've had 7 episodes a week of Breaking Bad to watch. (The binge is now in season 4.) Also with the HBO free long weekend viewing, I just can only take so much television. (yes that's shocking, but true.)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just wanted to mention that I'm still watching Manhattan. It has gotten very interesting...unfortunately I bet most of you don't have WGN America so you can't see it.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Legends (TNT)
-
Sean Bean -- Martin Odum
Ali Larter -- Crystal McGuire
Tina Majorino -- Maggie Harris
Amber Valletta -- Sonya Odum
Mason Cook -- Aiden Odum
and Steve Harris -- Nelson Gates

Not bad. FBI agent loses himself in his undercover identities, and (big conspiracy afoot) may not even be who he thinks he is at all.

I think a couple of us watched the first (or were planning to) - did anybody keep up with it?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am, but kind of meh to me. I really don't like the woman lead. Very formula.
Edited by Krystal, Sep 21 2014, 03:17 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finished Crossbones today, prior to a hulu expiration. It was good.

I've got two more to go in Extant.

--

Intruders (BBC America)
-
John Simm -- Jack Whelan
James Frain -- Richard Shepherd
Millie Brown -- Madison
Tory Kittles -- Gary Fischer
and Mira Sorvino -- Amy Whelan

Based on a 2007 novel. Developed by Glen Morgan (and his brother and fellow major X-Files guy Darin is a writer/producer, too). First several episodes are directed by Eduardo Sanchez (The Blair Witch Project).

Creepy, intriguing start. First hour really isn't enough to understand what's going on, but I expect it'll become clearer as it goes along. Entities jumping into other bodies 'for a ride' makes me think of one of my favorite movies of the 90s, Being John Malkovich, which is fun to think of when I just finished watching Malkovich in the NBC summer series, Crossbones.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Intruders is a bit of nonsense, I think. We do get a bit more info with each episode but I'm still relatively confused. 5 episodes in and I highly doubt I'll be satisfied with the finale. But, I'm enjoying James Frain and Millie Brown enough to stick with it. Jon Simms is good enough to keep me interested in his character but I still don't care much about Mira Sorvino's.

My perception is that there aren't that many viewers. AV Club quit doing episode reviews and there are only a few commenting at previously.tv. I did read that the premiere episode was a record for BBC America series' premieres but it looks like the numbers dropped like a brick afterwards.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hemlock Grove
Season 2 (Netflix, 10 episodes, premiered 7/11/14)
-
Famke Janssen -- Olivia Godfrey
Bill Skarsgaard -- Roman Godfrey
Landon Liborion -- Peter Rumancek
Tiio Horn -- Destiny Rumancek
Joel de la Fuente -- Dr. Johann Pryce
and Dougray Scott -- Dr. Norman Godfrey

Out from 1 - Letha, Christina
Promoted up - Destiny, Dr. Pryce

I was lukewarm on the first season, but 2 has a whole new set of writers, and the upcoming third season will be the last... I like the creature/gore effects (and pretty women) enough to continue with it... I'm only one in, so I can't really say whether or not the new season is an improvement... there's some intriguing stuff happening, but it was kind of a bummer to see Lili Taylor's character kinda go away (both for the plot and because I think she went to do Almost Human while this was filming...).

--

BoJack Horseman (Netflix, 12 shows, premiered 8/22/14 - 13 with a surprise Christmas special that popped up on 12/19...)
--
Will Arnett -- BoJack Horseman
Amy Sedaris -- Princess Carolyn
Alison Brie -- Diane Nguyen
Paul F. Tompkins -- Mr. Peanutbutter
and Aaron Paul -- Todd Chavez

Netflix's first adult cartoon is about a depressed actor that had a hit sitcom ("Horsin' Around") in the 90s and is now struggling to write his memoir and maybe become relevant again. Pilot wasn't hilarious, but I'm told it gets better, and there are a lot of people in the voice cast I like a lot (besides the main cast, there's Patton Oswalt, Kristen Schaal, Margo Martindale...). The cousin of one of my best friends (Scott Marder... I met him at a funeral last year...) is a consulting producer and wrote #6...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · TV News & Misc. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: