Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mad Men; Season 7
Topic Started: Jan 11 2014, 01:42 PM (3,386 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh I thought this one was really good. Some of it was weird, and some of it seemed a little pointless. But I loved everything with Joan and Peggy, and weird as it was I loved seeing Burt, and the stuff with Roger. And loved Don getting up and just wandering out of the Miller Beer meeting.

Okay Don HAS gone off the rails and followed his heart, so even though this was especially wacky I accepted he drove all the way to MN. I wish we'd had more time to see why he's so intrigued/attracted to Diana(?) and where that leads.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved #11 (that'd be the last one Krystal saw), but #12 was so terrific, I expect Krystal will even find a thing or two enjoyable about it. The Roger/Peggy stuff was gold...

Great look on Ted's face when Don walked out...

Two more. They'll be the most exciting two hours of the next two weeks, for me...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Roger and Peggy stuff was fun because it was unexpected. So yeah or nay to what happened with Joan...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I figured things weren't going to go well for Joan. The only bright side being that $250,000 was a lot of money back then. Hell, I think it's a lot of money in this day and age. At least she could go find a job she liked and not have to worry about finances, like most people.

I like the side of Don that wanders off on some kind of internal search/journey, so I enjoyed him running off to find Diana.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://teamcoco.com/video/matthew-weiner-mad-men-spoilers

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/07/404904172/mad-men-creator-on-don-drapers-losses-and-the-end-of-the-road

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
With the way they had Betty mature and become relatively happy, I should have known Weiner was going to kill her off. I really just wanted to give her a hug. It's no secret that I've always had a soft spot for her.

I still don't understand what all was going on with Duck and Pete. I guess that was supposed to be a happy ending for Pete and Trudy but I have no doubt that Pete will muck it up again in the future.

I appreciated Don being off wandering while Betty faces her own mortality but his story was slightly snooze-y.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I only caught part of the episode last night--just the last 15 min. or so, and it's not showing up on demand yet. I really want to catch up.

I know about Betty and frankly, I am a bit furious. It is impossible for me to see this as anything other than a) misogyny on the part of Weiner and also a bit of too quick resolution, fueled by the misogyny. Like you, I have much more of a tender spot and much more sympathy for Betty. But this is stupid: we've never seen her cough! and she's got advanced lung cancer now? No. Sorry. I've watched people die from lung disease. Yeah, there's a lot of denial but there are always significant symptoms, and even in the early 70's in rural Indiana, there were treatment options.

I saw just enough of the show to see Don confess to dropping the lighter and being responsible for his CO's death, and to see him allow himself to be beat up for stealing money. But it was SOOOOO transparent, even to me just walking in, that the kid was who took the money and that Don would somehow rescue him. Again: seems rushed and like a cop out.

Pete: I think he's getting what he deserves: Kansas. There may be nothing wrong with Kansas but this is Mad Men which enjoys a narrow minded and parochial view of all that is not Manhattan or LA. Trudy deserves more and I hope she gets it.

Re: Betty's impending death. I am hoping against all hope that this means that Sally and the boys will go back to Don and that will be a kind of salvation for all of them. Henry is a horrid person.

Which reminds me: the whole lifestyle of Henry and Betty is simply wrong for rich people in NYC of that era. My husband grew up in the heavily subsidized upper East Side lifestyle of a very wealthy grandmother/step grandfather. That house looks like a mausoleum (and I live in a Victorian myself, so...) and there is no way Betty would have been hanging out all the time in the kitchen or that the house wouldn't have been much more updated than it was. My husband's grandmother/step grandfather lived in a lovely home in NYC that did not look like a mausoleum and they maintained staff. His grandmother would never have deigned to cook, and would never have served anything as low class as the stuff Betty routinely pawns off on her kids. Given that Betty grew up with some wealth, this shows Weiner's lack of actual knowledge or understanding of the characters he writes for.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am one behind but find it really weird that they would kill off Betty. I have sadly seen several people die of lung cancer and boy, TGIR, you are right, it is a slow agonizing way to go and you don't look like a model and then drop dead. If only.

Maybe Don would take the kids, I frankly don't think Henry is awful but he is still not related to them.
Men in those days would continue to work and just get a nanny. Since the kids always had a nanny not much would change.

Regarding the house, I have no comments, as I always like contemporary homes and can't imagine living in anything else.

I watched last week's and poor Joan. she should sue the assholes for sure. This is when women started to assert their rights. I don't get why McCann would bring them all in and not utilize their talents, Just seems like bad business to me.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Betty has maybe nine months to a year left. Aggressive and advanced.

She'll be the third major significant woman in Don's life to pass from cancer, after Anna Draper and Rachel Menken.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2015/05/jon-hamm-mad-men-ending-topeka.html?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK, I thought maybe she just keeled over. I hope we don't have to see it.

I just feel like the show has gone everywhere willy nilly and has had no focus. For God sake, the last ones of Revenge were better done (sad comment).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have five to go on Revenge, but I'm in complete disagreement re: Mad Men. It's the furthest thing from having no focus. It's all been very meticulous, like each scene in each episode of each season before now.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't think much of this one as a penultimate episode. I agree the Pete-Duck stuff was dumb, but having a soft spot for Pete I'm thinking that having him go off to the heartland is a way of saying that he's moved on from his shallowness and NY centered lifestyle, and is ready to be the husband and father he needs to be. I was touched by this family stuff.

I was never a Betty fan but I agree that seems like manufactured crap.

Everything with Don seemed contrived to me - and worse, boring. At first, when he took off to search for Diana, I thought it was rather in character and a nice whimsical touch. He still dares to dream of romance and a substantive relationship. But now? Are we supposed to think think he's 'soul seaching?" on the road like Kerouac? Or on some self punishment 'trip?'

And worst of all, no Joan or Peggy or Roger? That just sucks.

This is not ending well AFAIC. But the front half was weak so this is the payoff.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://laist.com/2015/05/12/mad_men_motel.php

I have no complaints about the show (except that I wish AMC hadn't made us wait a year to see these last seven). I'm a little confused by Diana's role in Don's arc, but I expect it'll make more sense on a re-watch or after reading in-depth post-series analysis...

Betty's fate, I'm sure, was planned out years ago. I'd be shocked if that was a late-in-run thought. Gilligan wrote his team a big challenge when, sixteen episodes from the end, he put in a flash-forward and a Really Big Gun and didn't know what it was for ('we'll worry about it later...'). Weiner works differently. Betty's death was seeded and foreshadowed long ago...

Satisfying Don/Peggy closure is what I'm most needing from the finale.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I hope we see Joan, Peggy and Roger again in the final episode. A lot of times, characters just disappear, so who knows. I think the first two episodes of this run were weak (though Weiner's premieres tend to be), my issue with this week was if you weren't into the characters that got focused upon it was dull. I was just glad that Sally had so much to do.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Pretty sure we'll see Roger... Less sure on Joan, but... I don't know, I think it's a little MORE likely than not that we'll see 'everybody', but I don't think we'll be seeing them 'together' again... That night in the bar was a good-bye, and the Don/Joan elevator 'we should do lunch' was probably it for them...

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
May 12 2015, 06:11 PM
Pretty sure we'll see Roger... Less sure on Joan, but... I don't know, I think it's a little MORE likely than not that we'll see 'everybody', but I don't think we'll be seeing them 'together' again... That night in the bar was a good-bye, and the Don/Joan elevator 'we should do lunch' was probably it for them...
Oh that will make me sad because I didn't realize that was the last time we would have seen them together.

We sure won't see Betty dying which is good.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
We're up to October 1970... They usually skip ahead three or four weeks between shows, but they might do a bigger jump (or span a broader amount of time) in/for the finale...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
May 12 2015, 05:43 PM
Betty's death was seeded and foreshadowed long ago...
I don't get that impression at all. Is there an episode or two that you can point to? I'm not saying Weiner pulled it out of his ass last minute but I don't remember any scenes that foreshadowed Betty being ill. It was strange to me that they had her walking up the stairs fatigued because I couldn't remember anything that set that up.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Me neither.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not ill. Betty dealing with her mother's death... her father and the envelope of instructions... Sally telling her friends last year that she wished Betty would croak (when discussing the death of someone else)... Betty told her therapist way back in the first season that she wanted to die young...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Those never clicked. Many kids say that about their parents when they are bratty teens.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am not one to put so much thought in to a show. Especially this one. It is just not that meaningful to me. The only show I ever thought about seriously was Breaking Bad.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Breaking Bad was awesome. Very different kind of show, of course, but they'll always be discussed together... both 'oops' cast-offs of other places (FX turned down Breaking Bad because they had too many male anti-heroes already(!), and it's never been really clear why HBO passed on Mad Men - maybe they thought it was off-brand...), both made AMC into a powerhouse. Both brilliantly produced and performed shows...

I like this (re: Betty - and not because I often disliked her and, like, wanted to see something bad happen to her...). I wouldn't have predicted it, I didn't see it coming... but as soon as it did, it was a big 'Oh. Okay.' It works for me. This was her arc, and Sally's, and... As Dick has had all of 'Don Draper' stripped away from him now EXCEPT the kids... I expect he'll probably (?) step up and take Bobby and Gene and they won't be Henry's responsibility from now on. And I like that there are consequences for all the smoking. Proof of Weiner's misogyny, as Terri suggested?... No. That reads to me the same way as 'Obama is gonna take Texas'... Jim Hobart and Ferg are not our POV characters, or our protagonists. It's not their story, and we're not meant to root for them. Weiner loves Betty a lot.

And cancer doesn't sexually discriminate, or always show itself by coughing spells well in advance of a diagnosis (well, okay, they often DO do that on tv and in movies, but... that's lazy...).

Re: Consequences for all the drinking... Duck is a mess again, but Freddy is still sober...

Don giving the kid the car... reminded me of that scene in Pulp Fiction when Vincent reacts to Jules giving Pumpkin the money from his wallet... '... I swear I'm gonna shoot him on general principle'...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lung cancer does not go from NO symptoms or coughing to 9 months to live. Ovarian cancer? Sure. Sorry: I've lost family members to lung cancer and COPD.

Sure, Wiener loves Betty sooooo much he'll never let her beauty fade. Better to be dead than middle aged.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a34980/mad-men-salvatore-romano-bryan-batt/

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tgir, ITA. sadly I have experience as well.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw the episode where Betty figures out she's pregnant. Pregnancies do not normally announce themselves by BLOOD. That's usually a sign YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT.

And this written by a woman who had 2 pregnancies with continued periods for the first couple of months.

Sorry all of you guys. I know this is TMI.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/arts/television/matthew-weiner-the-creator-of-mad-men-prepares-for-another-fade-to-black.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=nytimesarts&_r=0

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
This is on Sundance tonight... http://www.tvinsider.com/article/1805/mad-men-stars-chat-about-their-final-season-on-sundance-tvs-behind-the-story-/ (Originally scheduled for Tuesday, didn't see when/why that changed, and if it'll be Fridays for the remaining three episodes - Big Bang Theory next week...)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
If he does this again and I hear about it, I will not watch. Ending for the Sopranos is all I think about when I think about the series. It made me totally angry, it was total shit and ruined all the enjoyment of the entire series for me.

I understand if there are things hanging but there had better be some resolution, or I will never ever watch another one of his series ever, no matter how critically acclaimed it is.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply