Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Returned; On Sundance
Topic Started: Dec 7 2013, 01:36 PM (417 Views)
Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Stephen King ‏@StephenKing tweeted:

Watching THE RETURNED. Scary and sexy. Fun to see a foreign TV show that hasn't been Americanized. That kid Victor's giving me nightmares.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Don't tell Uncle Stevie, but I think there IS an American remake in the works by somebody...

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Dec 7 2013, 01:56 PM
Don't tell Uncle Stevie, but I think there IS an American remake in the works by somebody...
Of course there is but that doesn't mean I'm not in love with the French version. :wub:

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/sundancetv-thriller-the-returned-to-open-season-two-on-halloween-night-1201595040/

Finally, a date for the new season...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
YAY! I need to re-watch S1 to refresh my memory.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked the American version with Michelle Forbes. But I think it was cancelled.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was canceled, yeah.

I thought it was okay. Loved Forbes, of course.

The original is creepier/prettier, and while I liked that the American original DID (eventually, about 2/3rds of the way through) deviate from the French... I didn't like WHAT they did (story-wise), as well.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I won't watch subtitles

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I also like the one about the little boy who came back and then others started coming back I guess it was resurrection but I think that got cancelled too. My husband really didn't like it he thought it was too slow.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah. Resurrection. I saw the first episode. It was okay and I like Kurtwood Smith a lot, but I didn't need it.

Shame you won't watch subtitles - this was by far the best of these three shows.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
There have only been a handful of shows in my entire life to get my full attention. Something like breaking bad or perhaps sons of anarchy. Some of the time I am painting my pottery well the TV is on or flipping through my phone or doing something with the cats. I don't want to sit there and have to read the show. Frankly I don't think I'm that interested. The show deuce land look pretty good but it was all in subtitles so it was out too. We used to see a foreign film on occasion but then we quit going to theaters so that's out as well.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Reminder... Season 2 starts tomorrow night on Sundance.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Is this the foreign version with subtitles?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, French with subtitles.

They did a marathon of S1 on Sundance a few weeks ago. I'm probably gonna finish it up tonight. Glad I re-watched it, not just because it's so good, but also because there were plot points I'd forgotten about. The previews I've seen for the new season look pretty good.

I still love the relationship between "Victor" and Julie. That's probably one of my favorite aspects of S1.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll rewatch #8, I think...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good episode. They played my favorite creepy music when Audrey emerged from the darkness, so I was happy.

The only thing that confused me was the horde showing up after Lucy took Audrey to the house with Camille and her mother. It seemed like Lucy was cahoots with the horde last season.

I was hoping we'd get to see Sandrine's reaction to Audrey's return but I guess I'll have to be patient.

Is Chloe staying at the house alone while Adele has her baby??? I wonder if the flood was the consequence of Adele not going with them at the end of last season.

Curious to see what will happen with "Victor's" mother showing up. Poor Julie.
Edited by bilki, Nov 3 2015, 12:54 AM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Took me a week to see #1. Haven't seen 2 yet... Will do that tomorrow.

Yeah, Lucy still seemed to have some 'authority' with the horde... But when Camille and her Mom tried to quiet Audrey or 'they' would come... Looks to be a pretty effective Neighborhood Watch going on over there in Reverse Alexandria...

Surprised to see Toni return, but I probably shouldn't have been, really...

I'd worried that the actors playing Camille and Viktor might have aged too much in the long break between seasons, but it wasn't so bad...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Poor Lena (and family). I suppose it's very possible she'll be back, but... I don't understand Milan's motivation, thinking it's their job now to enable crossovers...

Was Lucy-was-alive-a-long-time-ago a late-Season 1 reveal?... because it was so subtly brought forward here (and it's been so long) that I was confused, or didn't remember...

Oh, Viktor was so, so cruel to Julie...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
No, there was nothing about Lucy being alive 35 years ago in S1. Even though she had a self-titled episode, we didn't learn much about her in the first season.

I'm quite curious about Milan's motivation. Is he helping them crossover, or is it something more sinister?

My current theory is that Victor is a key figure and has been crossing over for longer than we've been made aware of. I love his relationship with Julie and hated to see him lash out at her like that.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hm. Really wasn't clear then, how/why Lucy was around further back. I mean, she WAS 'special', with her psychic qualities, but if there wasn't a hint of... the surprise played 'confusing', as well as being new information. I was thinking it had to be because of Fuzzy Memory by the long wait between seasons (or the slight changes in the mythology that the American version contributed...).

Milan TOLD Serge 'this is our purpose', but it felt like he's just plain mean/cruel/evil. I didn't get at all why it was important to him that Lena die. (Serge-as-serial-killer, he's a sick freak... Milan-in-the-past, he's evil, and avenging an infidelity... Milan-in-the-present, I don't get it).

I like the answer about the zombie-Horde 'Why are they different than us?' being 'because nobody was waiting for them to come back'. That works for me.

Viktor/Julie break-up is very, very sad.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The doctors were amazed by Lucy's recovery from Serge's attack in S1, so that could have been a hint that there was something special about her. Just like Simon recovered from Adele's fiance shooting him, though Simon's recovery was much quicker than Lucy's.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not hard to swallow the theory of how Louis/Viktor might be a Big Bad/caused-the-dam-to-burst like the old lady is saying...he's creeeeeepy, and we know he was there for the bus crash...

All-but-one of the cops' bodies were recovered, right? But they didn't say which one wasn't, but of course, the most obvious person would be Adele's fiancé, since he's the one we knew...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was thinking the cop body they didn't find was Laure. It's odd how they've been so vague about her this season. Did they say she was one of them and I missed it?

I have some idea of what happened with the dam that broke, so I'll have to keep quiet on the subject for now.

I'm curious about whether Milan will look as evil by the end of this. The show has been pretty good at not casting the characters in shades of black or white. Even Serge hasn't been up to his old tricks. I'm assuming that seeing Virgil's stomach eaten at made a lasting impression on young Serge.
Edited by bilki, Nov 23 2015, 10:58 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I guess I didn't realize Laure was outside with the cops at the end of 1.8... (But you're right, she's not been mentioned or seen...)

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
What did you think?

Quote:

I guess I didn't realize Laure was outside with the cops at the end of 1.8... (But you're right, she's not been mentioned or seen...)
I read the actress was pregnant and didn't want to or wasn't able to return to the show. While reading the article, I remember thinking it was one of those difficulties show runners have to deal with during production. The nurse that took a liking to Julie was a kind of replacement for Laure.
Edited by bilki, Jan 18 2016, 12:41 AM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked the nurse... She was really pretty.

Kinda googled around for a post-season interview with the writers, but didn't find one...

Fairly satisfying, as far as 'closure' goes, but it definitely didn't answer all our questions... Victor's specialness is still pretty mysterious, but we learned a little more... He's been trying to stop the horrific things he sees in his dreams, but isn't the cause of them... But a lot of the others THINK he should be a 'leader'...

I liked the first season a little better, but I still really love the mood, the performances. The reflections on loss and grief and the difficulty of letting go...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Victor and Julie were my favorites. I wish we'd learned a little more about Victor, like what brought him to town to begin with. Someone at PreTV suggested he had some connection to stories about faeries but I couldn't find the discussion that explained it.

I loved how Milan thought Victor had all the power, while Victor felt powerless because the town folk wouldn't listen to his warnings.

Poor Sandrine!

The Segurets had the most satisfying story, I think. I imagined they had all wished for one more moment with Camille, and they got it. Just hard to say goodbye, again.

The back and forth with Adele's baby started to feel a little convoluted but not to the point that it annoyed me. I didn't spend any time trying to figure out what was going on with them in the cave at the end.

When I went back and watched some of the early episodes of S2, I was a little disappointed that Victor was a part of conversations where he knew answers but didn't say anything. It played like the show was only trying to maintain an air of mystery.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Victor kept his mouth shut a lot, yes. He might have been more helpful (but I think I'm bothered by Season 1 Lucy more, since she knew a LOT more than she claimed to..).

Looked like Adele went into the cave and died. And came back. I don't know how clothes are generated, but... I can kinda picture them all having walked out of a big hole in the ground or something, and then they wander around... Or. Did we see somebody in kind of a cocoon-like posture in the woods once or twice?

I didn't get what was happening when the father of 'Louis' collapsed... We see Returned outside the doors... Did they all just -poof- arrive in a flash? And there was a big pool of blood around his head, but I thought that was the same stroke victim guy that Julie just talked with befor he died... It was, wasn't it? Did Victor bring him 'back' with his wish, but then he didn't come all the WAY back?

I thought Sandrine should have used that gun she had on Pierre or his people...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Victor's "father", Mr Lewanski, died when he had the stroke. Victor brought him back to life but also brought the first wave of Returned back at the same time, which is why there were a bunch outside his door, IIRC. Over at PreTV, we concluded that Victor left the home because he realized Mr Lewanski had called an ambulance, and Victor wasn't supposed to be seen. I think he had been in hiding since Pierre and the other guy had attacked the family. I assumed that Mr Lewanski still suffered from complications from his stroke, which is why he was in the hospital when Julie found him.

It seemed like there was a second wave (Audrey, Milan, Morgane) of Returned in S2 but the show didn't explain what brought them back. There was some speculation that Victor tried to bring Laure back for Julie but the actress didn't come back and the show couldn't go there. I remember reading that production had gotten pushed back because of some stalls with the writing.

I wondered if show runner changed Lucy's story between seasons. Or there were things happening in the background with Lucy's character that the show didn't reveal to us. She seemed more knowledgeable in S2.
Edited by bilki, Jan 18 2016, 10:34 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, the whole Lucy thing was weird to me. From sex psychic 'communicator' to victim to miracle healer (though I guess that was a clue, really) to...

Definitely a second wave of Returned.

Milan's villainy going away after his little swim was weird.

I liked the flashback with Pierre opting out of the suicide circle, and he moves, and we see Victor on the hill behind him...

Seen anything on an intent to make a third season?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: