Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Broadchurch; Seasons 1 & 2
Topic Started: Aug 8 2013, 09:21 PM (2,950 Views)
bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just finished watching tonight's re-airing. While there was a sense of been-there-done-that (The Killing, Top of the Lake), I enjoyed it quite a bit. Surprised by how strongly some of the emotional scenes resonated with me. The mother was heart-breaking, and seeing the female detective crying through many of the early scenes tugged at me, too. Really enjoyed Olivia Colman! Don't think I've seen her before.

Cool to see David Bradley (Walder Frey) and Arthur Darvill (Rory Williams).

Intrigued by the reporter angle. Oliver, the ambitious, young reporter trying to make a name for himself. And, the lady reporter who comes to town to see what she can dig up. People are using this boy's death to their own advantage.

This is going to be one of those shows where I'm gonna be tempted to snoop around and see if I can find anything out, since it's already aired in the UK.
Edited by bilki, Aug 9 2013, 11:45 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good episode. I think I liked the pilot a little better, though. It was more explosive. Now the dust is settling.

My favorite scene was probably when the mother was walking through the grocery store and couldn't help but be aware of the stares and reactions around her. The music make it all the more powerful.

Enjoyed the back-and-forth between Miller and Hardy. Didn't he botch his last big case? And he's there telling her how to do her job. HA! Typical real life bullshit. Was Tennant's hair lighter in this episode? It was bugging me a bit.

Got a chuckle out of the psychic giving Hardy the message about the pendant. Danny was moved up the coast from the murder site, probably in a boat.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read someone saying there were 3 scenes cut from the first episode of Broadchurch. He/she went on to describe the 3 scenes, saying at least one could be important to character development. I thought they said you could watch the episode for free on iTunes. Not sure if that is the case for each episode after they air on BBCA, or not.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Did anyone understand what the creepy lady whispered in the ear of the lady who runs the local paper when she showed up there late at night? I get lost in the accents at times. And if I have closed captioning, I don't know how to get it to work.

The music here is great. Haunting and emotional, but not manipulative.

The revolving door of suspects does feel so been-there-done-that but I like how this is from the perspective of life in a small town. A place where things like this don't happen, but people are people and secrets are now being pushed to the surface. And I still like how the reporters are exploiting the story for their own good....and how Hardy needs to solve this case for his own redemption.

Loved Hardy's "false intimacy" explanation for why he didn't need to use first names.

A nice move by Beth telling Mark she knows about Becca just as they're walking in to the press conference.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Poor Jack. They really did let him down. Appreciated Reverend Paul saying so at the funeral.

Great scene when Beth meeting the mother of the Sandbrook case. Quite tragic. Also loved the scene with Reverend Paul when DI Hardy was taking his DNA sample. So much good stuff with this show!

It was nice to see the family laughing and having fun there at the arcade.

Happy to see Susan's dog in the previews for next week. Hated the thought of Nigel shooting him with his crossbow. Such a cool dog!

I've known the identity of Danny's killer for a couple weeks now. Interesting to see how they're dealing with that character. This show is so good I don't even mind that I was spoiled.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Sep 15 2013, 11:22 AM
Were you spoiled on purpose or accidentally?...
Accidentally on purpose, lol. I had read the recap for the final episode when the series first started on BBCA, and it didn't reveal the killer's identity. I went back and read it again a couple weeks later and it had been changed to reveal the killer. I went back with the small hope that it had been changed, but wouldn't have pursued it further if it hadn't.

Does anyone have any strong feelings about identity of Danny's killer?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The crazy thing about the wiki page is that the character's bio also reveals this person to be the killer. I can understand the finale recap revealing it but the bio seems a bit mean-spirited. I'd imagine more than one unsuspecting person has been spoiled and not happy about it.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
This show is so good!

Pleased with the reveal about the Sandbrook case. I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of an everything-is-happy-now explanation. Surprised DI Hardy's health issue was his heart. I was thinking he was dealing with some kind of brain/mental illness.

Kinda figured Susan was Nigel's mother. But, I liked how her motivation was due to her concern over Nigel being "his father's son." Glad she got her dog back.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Poor Ellie. Such a devastating conclusion. I've been waiting for weeks to watch Olivia Colman play Ellie's reaction to the reveal. Ellie telling Tom his father killed Danny, and Beth's "How could not know?" were two of my favorite moments. I really wanted Beth to show some sign of understanding but fully recognize why she didn't.

Great scene with Ellie and Alec discussing what it meant that Joe was in love with Danny but didn't touch him.

I think what's been one of the biggest surprises is how real these characters feel to me. I have such sympathy for what they're going through. I can't think of any series that has brought me so close to tears so many times in such a short period of time.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
Sep 26 2013, 07:42 PM
If they really needed to show that flashback, have the murder clearly be an accident/manslaughter situation where he grabs Danny and Danny trips and breaks his neck falling or something. The choking seemed too far out of character.
I felt the same myself, that the choking seemed out of character. Clearly, it was a heat-of-the-moment thing but it didn't seem to fit with the Joe that they showed us. I like the idea of it being accidental but him not admitting to it because of the feelings he had developed for Danny.

I do wish they'd thrown in a couple of moments of odd or erratic behavior from Joe. Maybe in the beginning, then distracted us with the other suspects.

Not complaining, though. This show was pretty much as good as it gets with a subject matter that's been dealt with many times before.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Sep 26 2013, 09:40 PM
Forgot... what was it that screwed up Hardy's big case in the previous town? (They told us last week, or the week before...)

His wife had the girl's pendant, the key piece of evidence against the killer, in her car when she stopped off to engage in her affair with one of the guys on the force. The pendant was stolen from her car while she was at the hotel. Hardy claimed responsibility for it so that his daughter wouldn't find out her mother was having an affair.

I liked that the psychic's "proof" that he was real was actually something that made sense to Hardy the first time he told him.

LOL, BL beat me to it while I was typing.
Edited by bilki, Sep 26 2013, 09:52 PM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like how the show made use of some of the details along the way. Anyone remember DI Hardy's first scene with the farmer making the report of diesel being stolen from his tractor? That was explained when Nigel was being questioned about his whereabouts the night Danny was murdered. Joe's relationship with Danny began after Mark had hit him in the face.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have no faith whatsoever that they'll be able to do this show justice with an American remake.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, changing the identity of the killer is a pretty big deal. The irony of Ellie Miller's treatment of Susan Wright during her questioning is founded on Joe being the killer. Miller's whole "How could you not know what was happening in your own home" was important, I thought.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

There was a comment by the host about how Ellie had to be the worst detective ever not knowing it was her husband.

I'm assuming that was being played for laughs. She certainly didn't come off as incompetent during the course of the series. I'm probably just being a little sensitive because I thought she was such a great character.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Pleased to see Olivia Colman will be back. She was one of the best parts of S1.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jodie Whittaker was in EP3 of Black Mirror, which made me want to rewatch some episodes of Broadchurch. But since I have until March, now....

Did you find a way to watch Black Mirror's Christmas Special, BL?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Really enjoyed the first episode of S2. The music was wonderful. There were a few moments that felt a bit like drama for the sake of drama but I was so happy to see them interact again that I didn't even care.

Pleasantly surprised at the direction the story went. I love how this show gets me so invested in the lives of fictional characters, lol.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Reading the comments at The Guardian was like reading the comments at Sepinwall's blog for one of the lesser episodes of The Walking Dead....so much hate! I like Broadchurch so much more than TWD, so it kinda made me feel bad. There were two things they were so mad about, which makes me wonder if the US audience will be so bothered by them when it debuts here.

There's plenty of hate for Doctor Who episodes at The Guardian, too, so I should have known what I was getting myself into, lol.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jan 7 2015, 02:03 PM
What do they hate?
It seems like a lot of people hate-watch over there, lol. Mostly they were pissed about the Latimers going to the Charlotte Rampling character, which they said would never happen, and the whole scene at Danny's grave. Some were bitching about the music being so loud they couldn't hear what was being said, but I don't remember scene in which I felt that. Usually, I'm the first to feel lost on what's being said in a UK show.

I'm very thankful to BL for sharing that link, both because there's next to nothing to watch right now, and because I hate my cable provider. :)

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really liked Joe pleading "Not Guilty" and the exploration of that. It felt like a good way to show how the whole town was impacted, which is part of what I loved about S1. Unfortunately, the Sandbrook case felt like a distraction from that, and some of the courtroom scenes weren't really working for me, either.

I did love it when Ellie told her son to get his ass back home, which made me want to see more. But since my cable company hates me, I can't watch anything on BBCA.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply