Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Broadchurch; Seasons 1 & 2
Topic Started: Aug 8 2013, 09:21 PM (1,788 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not sure if this will need a thread but since I really liked it...

The first series achieved overwhelming ratings for ITV in England, with critical acclaim and huge publicity around the "whodunit" mystery. It's been renewed by ITV.

The story in the premiere was a bit predictable since we need the setup and the intro to so many characters. But I gotta say, compared to The Killing, I was totally invested in the poor kid Danny's death, the family, the community, the police. I even teared up TWICE. The emotional punches from several scenes were strong, and felt earned even despite that 'early premiere episode' mode.

I always adore David Tennant, so I may have lost objectivity. :P He was more stoic, more 'haunted' and reserved as DI Alec Hardy than in Dr. Who. As The Doctor I am used to his mobile, expressive face, his nearly-over-the-top exuberance, he vitality. Here he is definitely subdued, with a dark past, a bit of a mystery concerning whatever happened in Sandbrook.

I really liked the characters, especially DS Miller, just returned from maternity leave, and Danny's parents. I LOVED Arthur Darvill as Rory in #11's Whoverse and expect I will like seeing him as the Vicar.

Lots of brief intros of folks around the community, which already feels very 'real' to me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen Colman before either but she has a great reputation and fans in England.

And obviously, Walder is the killer. lol

I skimmed the TWoP thread that was active when Broadchurch was airing in England (very carefully avoiding spoilers) and people say the first episode was slow but then the series overall was excellent. Consensus that it was better than The killing, which it was compared to a lot.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well that sounds positively great! thanks Dax. Fits very well with what I've gleaned. I liked that it was eight episodes, lean and focused.

I do wonder how it will work as a second series if it is specific to Broadchurch. Hardy and Miller assigned to a new town? Can't peek because the Brit news would prolly include spoilers.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah the emotional impact made up for the cliche beginning. Effectively made the point that any cliche situation isn't, when it's YOU.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked the second episode even better. Lots of threads spun, with lots of various possibilities opening up. I especially like the tension Miller is under as she tries to be good-neighbor community lover and also an effective 'tec. Tennant is excellent as Hardy, despite portraying a role very much against his strength. I really liked Darvill as the minister, and the way it's developing. I hope they look at issues of faith and church a little more sympathetically and complexly than usual lately. (Which means I already hope he isn't the killer.)

There were a lot of subtle, powerful scenes. My favorites included the hotel owner, the minister, and the older businessman and their discussion; and also the scene on the beach with the daughter and her boyfriend, who played that with just the right touch of frustration.

The show is giving a lot of people on TWoP a chance to dis on the Killing all over again. lol

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I do agree the music overall has been great - atmospheric but not intrusive. The best part of the grocery scene for me was when the townsman came up and, I think, sincerely tried to offer some kind words and she was too overwhelmed (and angry? now that denial has passed) to accept kindness. Been there, and hate that I react like that.

I am pissed to have learned BBCA is/maybe is cutting a few scenes here and there to accommodate American commercial needs. Now I feel obligated to investigate what scenes were cut, but fear spoilers.

>>Enjoyed the back-and-forth between Miller and Hardy. Didn't he botch his last big case?
That's still a mystery. SOMEthing happened, but not sure if he is at fault. The media think so, but his boss seemed kinder about it. I think some killer 'got off' due to a mistake the media attribute to him?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
PBS doesn't do it, so Downton is 'pure' I think.... Grrrrr

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Stupid commercials. What was PBS's reason? You would think NONCOMMERCIAL TV wouldn't do that.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Loving this a lot. The scenes with Hardy and Miller at dinner were excellent. There are so many nice little moments too.

I was thinking the revolving door of suspects actually had an it's-so-old-it's-new feel. I think what Dax said above, about execution, is so relevant. I want to know MORE about these people, I want to visit with them, I want to understand them and their hopes and fears and worries. Most stories and mysteries such ass this, I am observing in a pretty detached way.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Still watching and really enjoying. There are always so many poignant moments and lines. The best, imo, was the stuff with Mark and Beth, and scene with Mark and Jack and him explaining how much he misses his son.

I have a bad feeling about Olly.....

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Still loving this. No hints Bilki!

I hope it plays out the way I expect. There are a lot of characters who have had such emotionally satisfying moments I would hate for those to have been misdirection. Every episode has at least one stellar scene.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Sep 15 2013, 10:52 PM
I don't.

(But KMI's 'have a bad feeling about Olly' is something I might second... not because he looks particularly suspicious, but because he DOESN'T, and you know, 'expect the unexpected'...)

I think it's that he seems like one of the few characters who is pretty self serving and focused on himself, and we aren't (yet) being given any emotional content to him.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah this episode had the potential to teeter close to cliche and simplistic, and then we got some curve balls. And some really great character moments again. I love this a lot.

I am not thinking the killer isn't Ollie. Isn't Nigel. Isn't Miller's son Tom. I'm thinking it's the daughter Chloe's BF. The dinner party with the reveal about Nigel damns Nigel, and instead I'm thinking the boyfriend is conveniently damning Nigel, but I can't find the BF name on any character descriptions. So if he's that far under the radar it can't be him, right?

So back to Ollie, who IS on most character lists, despite being nearly as minor a character as Chloe's BF.

I wonder how this will have a season 2.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved all of the fallout from the reveal. Ellie was terrific, and every character bit was perfect. But I wasn't sold on the way the murder went down. I was okay with Joe being the killer, and even okay with the backstory including a sort of/perhaps repressed pedophile slant, but I thought the murder itself would have been better left off screen and only told by Joe. If they really needed to show that flashback, have the murder clearly be an accident/manslaughter situation where he grabs Danny and Danny trips and breaks his neck falling or something. The choking seemed too far out of character. Plus, if the murder wasn't shown, we could have built some tension wondering if Dad was covering for Tom. Because I thought at first that's where it was going and still think that might have been the better story.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Sep 26 2013, 08:34 PM

Not complaining, though. This show was pretty much as good as it gets with a subject matter that's been dealt with many times before.
Very big agree. I appreciate the subtlety and the quality. Again quoting Dax...."execution still matters."

I assume that Hardy and Miller shift to a new town so that they both can 'start over' in the new series (as they call each season across the Pond).

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I always have CC on so I didn't notice. :D

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am not sure how I feel about Gracepoint. The few BBC remakes I've seen are not as good as the original. I will miss Coleman for sure. But I will be very interested to see how/if Tennant modifies his performance.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Any news how they will or won't stay true to the source material?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll stay out. :P

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
(I think some of my posts are in the watching and viewing thread, so I forget some comments-forgot this thread was here waiting.)

Up to #6 now, still liking this a whole lot. Very impressed with D'Arcy's Lee. I have no idea where that's going. I continue to adore Eve Myles and so this whole thing is really working for me in a creepy way.

The court case is playing well too. Imo the writers are really doing a good job looking at the story from a new angle and showing the difficulties in PROVING guilt...to the point I am actually wondering if Joe is, in fact NOT guilty, despite his confession.

And David Tennant rocks so hard. Am I imagining it or are the scenes after his pacemaker was implanted showing him in a different light, a different color, as if he's reinvigorated...no longer hagged, weak, edgy, but ready to move forward.

Colman is also great.

There are a couple glitches with the plot but I'm still able to overlook those. (Really, Claire keeps that necklace? Ellie's sister kept evidence she was sort-of paid to lie on the stand?)

Saving this here for when I finish the series.

Bilki: This article from Variety sums up what I mean... http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/tv-review-broadchurch-season-2-1201442231/

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree - strong performances. And I liked the twisty end of the Sandbrook stuff, but was disappointed with the resolution with Joe. I think it was too quick to tack on a scene where everyone is able to be their 'vengence-free' selves, able to rise above their anger and sadness. I wanted the minister to kill him or something different to happen - even a more violent 'run him out on the rails' forcibly, rather than the tame taxi scene.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply