Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Broadchurch; Seasons 1 & 2
Topic Started: Aug 8 2013, 09:21 PM (2,951 Views)
bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The crazy thing about the wiki page is that the character's bio also reveals this person to be the killer. I can understand the finale recap revealing it but the bio seems a bit mean-spirited. I'd imagine more than one unsuspecting person has been spoiled and not happy about it.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Sep 15 2013, 10:52 PM
I don't.

(But KMI's 'have a bad feeling about Olly' is something I might second... not because he looks particularly suspicious, but because he DOESN'T, and you know, 'expect the unexpected'...)

I think it's that he seems like one of the few characters who is pretty self serving and focused on himself, and we aren't (yet) being given any emotional content to him.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just thought it was interesting reading that the preacher guy aka Rory from Dr Who has been in Once on Broadway as the male lead.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
This show is so good!

Pleased with the reveal about the Sandbrook case. I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of an everything-is-happy-now explanation. Surprised DI Hardy's health issue was his heart. I was thinking he was dealing with some kind of brain/mental illness.

Kinda figured Susan was Nigel's mother. But, I liked how her motivation was due to her concern over Nigel being "his father's son." Glad she got her dog back.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah this episode had the potential to teeter close to cliche and simplistic, and then we got some curve balls. And some really great character moments again. I love this a lot.

I am not thinking the killer isn't Ollie. Isn't Nigel. Isn't Miller's son Tom. I'm thinking it's the daughter Chloe's BF. The dinner party with the reveal about Nigel damns Nigel, and instead I'm thinking the boyfriend is conveniently damning Nigel, but I can't find the BF name on any character descriptions. So if he's that far under the radar it can't be him, right?

So back to Ollie, who IS on most character lists, despite being nearly as minor a character as Chloe's BF.

I wonder how this will have a season 2.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Poor Ellie. Such a devastating conclusion. I've been waiting for weeks to watch Olivia Colman play Ellie's reaction to the reveal. Ellie telling Tom his father killed Danny, and Beth's "How could not know?" were two of my favorite moments. I really wanted Beth to show some sign of understanding but fully recognize why she didn't.

Great scene with Ellie and Alec discussing what it meant that Joe was in love with Danny but didn't touch him.

I think what's been one of the biggest surprises is how real these characters feel to me. I have such sympathy for what they're going through. I can't think of any series that has brought me so close to tears so many times in such a short period of time.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Very sad. How tragic.

I'll be very interested to see what the story for Season 2 is.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Poor Ellie...I was okay with anyone being the killer except Ellie or Alec. I am curious what she will end up doing with her life now that she is no longer a detective. I can understand Beth not understanding why Ellie didn't see it as even if she didn't know what was going on, I wish Ellie would have thought her husband acted differently.

I feel for Tom in this mess though most of all. That poor child.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Joe probably hid it very well. I wasn't bothered by her not having a clue.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved all of the fallout from the reveal. Ellie was terrific, and every character bit was perfect. But I wasn't sold on the way the murder went down. I was okay with Joe being the killer, and even okay with the backstory including a sort of/perhaps repressed pedophile slant, but I thought the murder itself would have been better left off screen and only told by Joe. If they really needed to show that flashback, have the murder clearly be an accident/manslaughter situation where he grabs Danny and Danny trips and breaks his neck falling or something. The choking seemed too far out of character. Plus, if the murder wasn't shown, we could have built some tension wondering if Dad was covering for Tom. Because I thought at first that's where it was going and still think that might have been the better story.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm glad he wasn't covering for Tom...

I'm glad the responsibility wasn't ambiguous, where we're left wondering what happened, so I liked that there was a flashback (if we'd heard him tell the story, we might find him an unreliable narrator), but I agree the choking looked especially 'violent'... okay, still an 'accidental death' more than premeditated murder, but... yeah, this was dark. A trip and a fall for Danny might be 'easier' (to take), though, and... they sure weren't going for EASY, here...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Maybe I wanted Ellie to notice something was up with Joe in the sense that they had just returned from vacation...and he acted differently before and after. I didn't expect it to be something so major that we all figured out it was him after episode 2.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
Sep 26 2013, 07:42 PM
If they really needed to show that flashback, have the murder clearly be an accident/manslaughter situation where he grabs Danny and Danny trips and breaks his neck falling or something. The choking seemed too far out of character.
I felt the same myself, that the choking seemed out of character. Clearly, it was a heat-of-the-moment thing but it didn't seem to fit with the Joe that they showed us. I like the idea of it being accidental but him not admitting to it because of the feelings he had developed for Danny.

I do wish they'd thrown in a couple of moments of odd or erratic behavior from Joe. Maybe in the beginning, then distracted us with the other suspects.

Not complaining, though. This show was pretty much as good as it gets with a subject matter that's been dealt with many times before.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like that (as with The Killing this season) I hadn't really thought of the killer's identity UNTIL the final hour began, and then it was only ten minutes or so before the reveal... I love reading mystery novels, but after a bunch of them, I'm usually several steps ahead of the unveilings, but these here weren't obvious outcomes (but also not cheats to what we'd seen and known).

Forgot... what was it that screwed up Hardy's big case in the previous town? (They told us last week, or the week before...)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
That he lied as someone else (his former wife) messed up with the evidence. She left it in a car and it was stolen.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Sep 26 2013, 09:40 PM
Forgot... what was it that screwed up Hardy's big case in the previous town? (They told us last week, or the week before...)

His wife had the girl's pendant, the key piece of evidence against the killer, in her car when she stopped off to engage in her affair with one of the guys on the force. The pendant was stolen from her car while she was at the hotel. Hardy claimed responsibility for it so that his daughter wouldn't find out her mother was having an affair.

I liked that the psychic's "proof" that he was real was actually something that made sense to Hardy the first time he told him.

LOL, BL beat me to it while I was typing.
Edited by bilki, Sep 26 2013, 09:52 PM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like how the show made use of some of the details along the way. Anyone remember DI Hardy's first scene with the farmer making the report of diesel being stolen from his tractor? That was explained when Nigel was being questioned about his whereabouts the night Danny was murdered. Joe's relationship with Danny began after Mark had hit him in the face.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh, that's right, thanks...

(I'd forgotten about the stolen diesel, but yes, that's good... 'everything matters'...)

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Sep 26 2013, 08:34 PM

Not complaining, though. This show was pretty much as good as it gets with a subject matter that's been dealt with many times before.
Very big agree. I appreciate the subtlety and the quality. Again quoting Dax...."execution still matters."

I assume that Hardy and Miller shift to a new town so that they both can 'start over' in the new series (as they call each season across the Pond).

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://youtu.be/-uIQCoYLB6E - This is a scene that was taped and not aired as part of the show. It took place at Danny's home after the service.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay so the American remake...they want to use David Tennant using an American Accent. http://tvline.com/2013/10/02/broadchurch-us-version-david-tennant-cast/

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hm. Like Mark Strong on Low Winter Sun. Or, you know, Simon Cowell...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have no faith whatsoever that they'll be able to do this show justice with an American remake.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have some. The showrunners did excellent work on In Treatment, and the creator is going to write the first one, adapt himself, basically.

It's fine to debate the necessity of a recent series (that, some tough accents aside - and I had the hardest time WITH Tennant's, really - IS in English), but the winning reasoning is to bring it to a bigger audience and make more money off of it. We don't know, though, that this MEANS it will suck. American actors can do pain and mourning and look suspicious and we have pretty beaches, too.

I will be interested in seeing it. Curious. It would be wise if they had a different answer to whodunnit, both for the suspense of people watching both shows, and so it's not spoiled by assholes immediately.

But I'll probably be MORE interested in Season 2 of the UK show, because I want to know where they're going from the end of 1...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
To me having Chibnall is part of why I hope the US version doesn't suck. I hope that the crime is changed enough that it isn't a direct copy for the suspense aspect of it. I just hope Tennant's US accent isn't a mess, and I agree his Scottish accent (which is his real speech) was the hardest to understand of the regular cast.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I always have CC on so I didn't notice. :D

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
'Gracepoint' casts Anna Gunn and Jacki Weaver... http://www.tvguide.com/News/Broadchurch-Fox-Gracepoint-Gunn-Weaver-1073522.aspx

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am not sure how I feel about Gracepoint. The few BBC remakes I've seen are not as good as the original. I will miss Coleman for sure. But I will be very interested to see how/if Tennant modifies his performance.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I will miss Coleman also. At least Gunn and Weaver are talented performers. I wasn't sure what I was expecting...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm interested. I hope the murderer's identity is changed (you know how people are assholes? Within three comments, somebody on hitfix's article had already posted a spoiler in regards to the Gunn casting...)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: