Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Doctor Who; All seasons
Topic Started: Sep 2 2012, 11:20 AM (3,284 Views)
bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OMG! I didn't realize the new season starts this Saturday! Any suggestions on how to watch, since my hateful cable provider dumped BBCA? Do you think it will be on LiveStream, BL?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't know anyone who posts a livestream, but if/when I find one I'll let you know. The first prequel thing has been posted for the season. (Two minute pre-episode).

KMI with Tom Baker, I can sort of get that. I think for many he is the Doctor as he was their first. The 2nd Doctor episodes on Retro are so sparse, I don't really have an opinion of him. (They didn't even air a month worth of his episodes after they finished with the Hartnell ones. Then they skipped to the third 3rd Doctor story.) My favorite of the classic Doctors of what I've seen is 3.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki BBCAmerica put the first episode of the new series up so everyone can watch it legally in the US. It is on their YouTube page and Tumblr. :)

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Remember when you directed me to LiveStream to watch Broadchurch, BL? Someone was kind enough to post the episode there and I watched it before I saw your post here. Hopefully, the person will continue to upload the rest of the season.

Typical mixed bag from Moffat. I got goosebumps from the opening scene. A boy named Davros! But I thought the entire scene in which Clara and Missy were reunited with the Doctor was groan-worthy. And is it just me, or does it seem like Moffat is trying too hard to make the show hip or cool with young people? Maybe I'm just being a grumpy old man, lol.

I like how they played with the Doctor and the Master/Missy having an adversarial friendship.

Loved the Tom Baker clip! I was worried the episode was going to go right off the rails but I did enjoy the Doctor's confrontation with Davros. Although, it's difficult invest in the Doctor being upset over something happening to Clara when Moffat is constantly writing the characters into a corner and then creating some silly way for them to slip out of it.
Edited by bilki, Sep 20 2015, 10:18 PM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
So much to say, so overworked. Big agree w/Bilki on everything. Want to add that a couple seconds of the guitar dude was all that was needed. Yikes. And compliment Capaldi. His chops are making some of this work despite the plotty mess. Everything in the hand-mine field was gold. Most of Missy was gold. But a lot of the Dalek drama was just a big old reset button waiting to happen.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The guitar stuff went on too long. They could have just did a special feature or miniepisode with him playing. Again the Doctor is going to "die" but not really. It is getting to be a bit much, I liked the episode on its face, but I don't think I want to try and dissect it.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, dissecting timey wimey wibbly wobbly is tough enough under RTD. Moffat? Just no.

I forgot Capaldi was a punk rocker back in the day.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Someone recently posted a video on YouTube from Capaldi's band days. It was totally punk.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well this is unexpected. Looks like IFC channel is running a marathon of the current season tonight, so I'm recording them.

Have you two been enjoying the season?

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
IFC is part of the AMC family and BBCAmerica is too, so that's probably why IFC is airing it.

While I like two-parters, I wish they would have breaks between them of stand-alone episodes. Until I've seen a complete story, I don't like to write/post about them. I think Capaldi has settled in as the Doctor and they made him a lot less "mean". That said
Spoiler: click to toggle
Seeing Maisie from GOT was nice, though she had a mixed reaction.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Witch's Familiar

The Wiki page shows plenty of critical praise for this one. I'm not sure how much of what we're seeing is audience manipulation and how much is the Doctor trying to manipulate Davros. If the Doctor knows what Davros is up to, why all of the moaning and groaning over nothing? Still trying to wrap my mind around all of this.

Enjoyed the banter between Missy and Clara, and I loved Missy's reactions to the Dalek translating what Clara is saying inside it. Missy trying to get the Doctor to kill Clara inside the Dalek made me chuckle.

Missy has a daughter? Is it.....Clara?

The Sonic Sunglasses are silly. Bring back the screwdriver!
Edited by bilki, Nov 7 2015, 12:07 AM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The really strong positive critical feedback is baffling to me. I am not very pleased with the new season. Capaldi is great, he's settling in better and I agree he's more rounded and less mean or 'random.' However, the writing is much more problematic and not to my taste. I think the writers are very definitely trying to recapture the early Who, especially #4, and I much prefer RTD's years. I am in the minority. Pleople are especially heaping praise on the Woman Who Lived, Maisie William's 2nd of her two parter. I actually disliked it a lot. It captured what I really don't like - strong themes and ideas, with great performances, badly written and developed. imo

The two part premiere Magician's Apprentice/Witch's Familiar was better that what follows. Parts of that two parter I really liked, parts not so much.

The sonic glasses are just dumb, and touching base with capaldi's guitar days every episode is a bit too much. ymmv

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Boy I am disliking this season even more than any of the Matt Smith years. This last episode with Clara's death (?) was just terrible, imo. If she's really dead then I'll bump it up from terrible to pretty damn bad.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
While looking around at AV Club, I stumbled upon the review for "Sleep No More". I was amused by the back and forth between people who liked it and those who thought it was a complete mess.

I've seen positive comments about the Zygon two-parter but that marathon I recorded ended with Part 1. I still haven't watched "Girl Who Died/Woman Who Lived".

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Whups. Should have spoiler covered that. Sorry Bilki.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Clara's death? Somehow, I think I knew it was coming by the end of this season. Maybe I saw people talking about this being Coleman's last season? Anywho, I didn't feel spoiled.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen the last two, was waiting until I could see all of them as the last of the series other than Christmas are all tied together.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://deadline.com/2016/01/doctor-who-showrunner-steven-moffat-leaving-chris-chubnall-1201688573/

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/doctor-who-showrunner-steven-moffat-quits-to-be-replaced-by-broadchurch-creator-chris-chibnall

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/watch-new-doctor-who-showrunner-chris-chibnall-discussing-the-sci-fi-show-in-1986

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Interesting. Not who I was expecting. What happened to Toby Whithouse or Mark Gatiss?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah lots expected Gatiss. Reaction to Chibnall is mixed to negative. I liked Torchwood better than most, so I am cautiously optimistic. I hope he'll put a more adult spin on the show... though his actual Who credits are not on anyone's favorites, I'm pretty sure.

People are more upset about the confirmation of a Who-less 2016. (except for Christmas.)

There is speculation that they are finally going to have The Doctor regenerate as female. (Missy; the Timelord in the finale) General consensus - CC is much more able to write for female characters than Moffat or Gatiss. He's much stronger on character than plot, which I also like.

I would have loved to see Toby Whithouse - he's hinted he'd like to do it... Oh well.\

GallifreyBase has a whole thread pretending to be a post-Chib season analysis and mocking him. Whovians are so weird. :P

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
LOL not who you were expecting bilki! (That said I know you didn't expect McGann) I think Gatiss wants to also continue to act, and running DW would make that impossible.

I'm relieved that Broadchurch is going to go on as normal. That would have upset me.

That said having a full year with no episodes is bad for DW in the US. People lose interest if there is nothing and it looks like it is going off of Netflix. I'm more interested in what will happen with Capaldi and the new companion.

BL (who is editing to add that Stats Britain is happy they wrote:

100% of Britons have never been so happy someone quit their job.

Chris Chibnall is already loved 3982% more than Steven Moffat.
) HA HA they are hilarious
Edited by blosslover, Jan 25 2016, 12:51 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Beth Latimer from Broadchurch. Are you happy?

(... I haven't started watching Broadchurch 3 yet...)

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really like the actress... and for long LONG times, many people have wanted a female, but I think an older "wise woman" type would have been better - except too close to the older Capaldi. I did love Capaldi, especially after the very special snowflake Clara (Jenna Coleman) went away, but the "feng shui" young cute Matt Smith followed by older weary Capaldi made that a hard transition, I guess.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Twitter Carol Hartsell‏Verified account @carolrhartsell

Lot of folks who have never cared about Dr. Who before are suddenly very concerned. Maybe we should announce that climate change is a woman.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: