Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Doctor Who; All seasons
Topic Started: Sep 2 2012, 11:20 AM (1,941 Views)
blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think the specials are kind of hit or miss. I'm just glad for something new to watch tonight. (The one tonight is called Doctor Who the Ultimate Companion...and the one on Monday night is called the Ultimate Time Lord). I figured it won't be all that historical, but it may be good for a few laughs or Whats...;) ETA: On Friday the 22nd they are having a show with parts of the World Tour material, which I may avoid until after the episode as who knows if anything will be spoiled.
Edited by blosslover, Aug 16 2014, 04:48 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Peter Capaldi didn't disappoint. Very happy with the new Doctor. I liked most of how they explored him looking older and more serious.

The episode was OK. I know the Doctor is supposed to be disoriented right after his regeneration but most of the early part felt clunky. Happy to see Vastra, Jenny and Strax. I was intrigued by the main robot/human guy but they didn't seem to really do to much with him. I'm not sure what I think about us wondering if he jumped to his death, or was pushed by the Doctor.

I think I enjoyed Clara more than I have since her debut in Asylum of the Daleks. Really cool scene with her trying to escape while holding her breath. Also appreciated what they did with her reaction to his change in appearance.

I don't see spoilers for this show, so didn't know of Matt Smith's appearance. I know I was being emotionally manipulated but I do think my eyes watered a tiny bit during that scene.

Interesting speculation on the identity of Missy. After reading her wiki page, I really like the idea of her being The Rani......but I doubt that wish will be fulfilled.
Edited by bilki, Aug 24 2014, 10:35 PM.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked Capaldi in the role, but that isn't surprising. My one issue was how I didn't get why Clara acted like she did with the Doctor. She knew about regeneration...and had met more than one other doctor.

The episode seemed a bit stretched... I didn't like the whole sound effect when the Doctor was hit by the newspaper. I felt like Capaldi had touches of numerous doctors.

Missy being the Rani would be good...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've skipped most of Clara's episodes, so I didn't realize she had met other Doctors. But at the start of the episode she even seemed confused by the regeneration itself, which seemed odd to me.

On The Tardis Wikia, it mentions that The Rani has had some dealings with the T-Rex in the past, so I wonder if the T-Rex being here had some significance. I've also read that she's the same age as the Doctor and there have some hints of a past relationship, which could explain the "boyfriend" comment. In the few clips I've watched on YouTube, though, The Rani seems more serious that what we saw of Missy.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Clara was the companion in the 50th anniversary episode, and as part of that she met the War and the 10th Doctor. She also knew about how they saved Gallifrey with all the doctors including 13...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh yeah! I forgot about that, lol. Thanks, BL!

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Two thumbs up. Really liked Capaldi's #12 a lot. I also like the dynamic of him and Clara because it (mostly) takes OUT that romantic undercurrent that plays even if the writer didn't intend it.

>>>>>I felt like Capaldi had touches of numerous doctors.
I agree, but apparently some of that was unintentional, because PC was channeling the others a lot and stopped to retake many scenes when he thought he wasn't being unique. But I think it's good to 'blend' some character traits and quirks.

The Rani would be cool...also hear Missy might be the female Master. eh...

I liked the story much better than most of Eleven's, and loved the callback to madame de Pompadour and the Girl in the Fireplace episode. (I showed that to my 8th graders last Spring.) I agree it presented Clara in a better light than in most of her past work. I don't think Moffat hit exactly the right note with her struggles with regeneration, because y'all are right she knew about it and even saw it. But experiencing it with 'her' doctor caused her to be, like the audience sometimes, resistent to change.So Moffat needed to make it clearer that her issues were not really with the idea of regeneration, but in accepting a different 'package' for 'her' doctor.

My students seem generally split based on gender. The boys mostly like capaldi, the girls are a bit,,,,miffed that the Doctor isn't a fangurl fantasy BF any more. Thought they don't verbalize it exactly like that. :D

I also really enjoyed the AfterWho live talk show.

I wish the folks in Pgh had gotten their act together and scheduled the theater experience sooner so i could have done it. grrr

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
How do they verbalize it? I actually like the lower sexual tension, but that said it isn't as if I actually thought Clara and 11 acted at all like a couple. (If I was supposed to see it that way, I'd be offended as he treated her like crap in the Christmas episode.) With Jenny and Vastra I was a bit horrified about how Vastra objectified her wife, having her pose, that was supposed to be funny?

I liked the AfterWho show, and Gatiss was listed as one of the producers. Perhaps that's why it didn't completely suck. (BTW the Ultimate Time Lord and Companion shows had classic doctors and companions on as well...I liked the format wasn't just talking heads for a change, but Davison visiting with people like Colin, Syl & Paul at the con they were all together at earlier in the year.)

Oh in Pittsburgh they had it on Saturday...that would have been cool. I just hope they make the movie Q&A available...

BL (who got the Serenity t-shirt and the DWB - Tardis shirt on teefury over the weekend.)

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Enjoyed Into the Daleks. More thought-provoking than I've come to expect from Moffat. Even watched it twice to get a better understanding. Was nice not to have everything quickly wrapped up in a convenient ending.

Is the Doctor asking if he's a good man because he isn't quite sure yet (part of the regeneration process), or because an ancient Time Lord is truly concerned with such an issue?

The more I see of Missy, the less I think she's the Rani.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The co-writer of the episode was Phil Ford who wrote Waters of Mars. (I have no idea why Moffat was also credited on the episode.)

I don't know why he is asking whether he is a good man either. Are they attempting character development?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>>>>Enjoyed Into the Daleks. More thought-provoking than I've come to expect from Moffat. Even watched it twice to get a better understanding.
Agreed. I saved Into the Daleks to rewatch.

>>>>>Is the Doctor asking if he's a good man...
>>>>>I don't know why he is asking whether he is a good man either. Are they attempting character development?
A bit of both. I don't know if it's exactly character development or more of a long running theme... I think there's been a long running tradition that that Doctor's moral code is not human, and that it's murky and gray. The whole idea of him refusing to use guns, and refusing to use violence (Run!!!) is balanced by the very high death toll that surrounds him. Plus, he's still maybe processing the events of the 50th, when the Dalek-Gallifreyian genocide was timey-wimey reversed. The big question they've toyed with, here and there, is whether on balance the universe is better or worse thanks to his intervention. Especially since NuWho, there seems to be at least one or two episodes a series that connections to the issue, such as "A Good Man Goes to War." Having the Doctor being older in appearance also lends itself to more reflective themes in general I guess.

But I thought he was around 900 plus, now he's 2000... Did I forget a huge time lapse with the 50th Anniversay War Doctor?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Having the Doctor being older in appearance also lends itself to more reflective themes in general I guess.
It was easier for me to accept Matt Smith grappling with whether he's a good man than Peter Capaldi. I'd expect Peter Capaldi to realize that life in this universe isn't as simple as being either good or evil. I guess I can see him taking a sort of "pit stop" to ruminate on the issue while he's in his regeneration process. I just hope it's not going to be a recurring theme for the season. Interesting how physical appearance has swayed my way of looking at the issue.

Quote:

(I have no idea why Moffat was also credited on the episode.)
I read someone saying that Moffat is handling Clara's romance with Soldier Pink, while Ford was responsible for the Dalek story.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes now the Doctor is over 2000 as he spent hundreds of years on the Christmas planet. (That's ridiculous, and a lot of people have complained about that.) It had nothing to do with the War Doctor, though there was a line in the 50th about how it was 400 years since the War Doctor.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ah that's right. The Christmas Planet - not an episode I am fond of, so....

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The banter between the Doctor and Robin Hood was fun, even made me for real lol at one point. Didn't care much for the rest of it, though.

I kept thinking those robots were Cybermen each time they'd appear on screen.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
That episode was edited due to the IRL people being beheaded. The sheriff was supposed to be revealed as a half-man/half-robot once his head was chopped.

I liked how much the 12th Doctor doesn't like banter even though he bantered.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mark loved it. We're big fans of old movies and TCM and love Errol Flynn and he loved how the show lovingly mocked the ha-ha-ha and the banter.

>>>>>I kept thinking those robots were Cybermen each time they'd appear on screen.
I agree. They did not seem like the clockworks from TGitF. Rather a mishy-mashy mess. likely because of what Bloss posted about the RL beheadings. I didn't know about that - spoilers darlings!

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here is the article that was posted by Radio Times about it. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09-04/bbc-makes-edit-to-doctor-who-robot-of-sherwood-out-of-respect-after-two-journalists-are-killed I had to look around to find out exactly what was originally written...

ETA: Radio Times had a companion poll done in bracket style. The final two were Jack and Rose, and Rose won. If you want to see the voting etc. This link should work, of course ignore the comments as who knows if anyone put in spoilers. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09-10/rose-tyler-triumphs-in-doctor-who-companion-champion (For the record Sarah Jane got knocked out by Jack, but she made the final four.)
Edited by blosslover, Sep 10 2014, 09:46 PM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Enjoyed Listen, though I didn't love it like the two reviews I read.

Thought it funny that Clara (still call her Amy in my mind) messed up with Danny again after she went back in her timeline and back in the restaurant.

Kinda cool to go back in the Doctor's timeline. I often wonder/think about how we are defined by childhood occurrences that may haunt us for a lifetime. I liked how Clara talked to the young Doctor about fear, though they were laying it on a little heavy with the dramatic music.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Listen was very good. I watched it a couple of times to see if I could figure out just how self-aware Dr. 12 seems to be at the moment. Loved that his childhood hiding place was the same place as the barn from "DotD."

I wish they'd do a flashback episode with McGann's 8, and Hurt's War Doctor, who is apparently still 8, McGann older?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Time Heist was fun. I like how they played with guilt, which is an emotion I've been fascinated with for some time. I see a number of comments about hoping we get to see Psi and Saibra again, and I'd have to agree.

I'm enjoying how they're developing the dynamic between the Doctor and Clara, though I'm still not sure how much I care about Daniel Pink. At least, the actor is nice to look at.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay my post isn't here. ::sniff and whimper::

Essentially I said this was a great caper episode, reminded me more of the Ten-Donna episodes, some of my favorites. Loved the twist with the disintegrater/teleporter device. Loved the real mission reveal.

Also, that Twelve seems to be experiencing jealousy with Pink in the picture. So after all of the flirty romance skating with Amy and then Clara, it'll be the 'unexpected' doctor (because older) who will confront the companion romance?

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
What I don't get is how did the TARDIS end up on Gallifrey...really how is that possible? So while I thought the idea of Listen was interesting that went into my brain. I'm hoping that was the end of another universe as wasn't that where Jack caused the TARDIS to go when he hitched a ride?

I liked the newbies in Time Heist...it would be cool to have a companion that wasn't from present day Earth again.

Just read that there is a new ITV show with Alex Kingston and Noel Clarke hope we get to see it in the US...

2nd ETA: The rogues gallery included John Hart aka Spike... LMAO I can't believe I forgot to mention that...
Edited by blosslover, Sep 22 2014, 08:54 PM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

it'll be the 'unexpected' doctor (because older) who will confront the companion romance?
In a way, that makes some sense. The younger Doctors may not want to disrupt the status quo by broaching the subject but this Doctor may feel like he doesn't have much to lose by expressing his jealousy.

I like that 12 seems to be struggling with some lingering feelings of romance for Clara. Like it's a pest from a past life.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Enjoyed The Caretaker more than I expected. I hated Closing Time, so I was a bit concerned going into this one. The Skovox Blitzer felt like an after-thought but I kinda love the Doctor/Clara/Danny dynamic. Some nice comedy in there, too.

Really liked the Doctor taking Courtney Woods for a ride in the TARDIS after Danny "saved" the day. Peter Capaldi is great.
Edited by bilki, Sep 28 2014, 09:38 PM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>>>>kinda love the Doctor/Clara/Danny dynamic.
Yes indeed. I have never liked Clara so much. The relationship with Danny may have moved a bit fast, and the 'reveal' of the Doctor and the Tardis a bit quick, but I would rather that than a long dragged out soapy style of plot with Clara and Danny almost a separate show.

Adored that the Doctor thought the nerdy science guy with the bow tie the the BF.

And I need to be very careful that I don't applaud The Doctor's views about PE vs Maths in front of the wrong people. :D

The actor playing Danny is terrific. As is Capaldi, of course.

I hope Courtney sticks around.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I have never liked Clara so much.
I can't believe how much I like her now, especially after barely caring about her when this season started.

Quote:

The relationship with Danny may have moved a bit fast
Yes, I was thrown when Clara said she loved Danny. Wait, what? I know there are things happening that we don't see but it felt like they were still just in the "dating" phase.

I'm seeing mostly positive comments about the Missy/Netherworld scenes. One reviewer said he didn't want to speculate at this point but I wish he had. I have no idea how it's all going to connect.
Edited by bilki, Sep 29 2014, 09:51 AM.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The line from the Doctor about him and Clara being the same age. What???

I think I'd like Capaldi's Doctor more if they would lay off him making comments about her looks that are negative.

The other teacher who was nerdy was an English teacher. The Doctor would like an English teacher...to me the whole Danny is a PE teacher was a bit offensive though I doubt that DW was trying to be racist, but an American show doing that would have been.

I thought the alien was an afterthought. The guy who wrote this episode was also responsible for The Shakespeare Code...

The teen girl cracked me up as did the Go Away Humans sign...her parents being glad about her being slightly more well behaved, but not really....

I also don't get the Doctor's hatred of soldiers...as this theme is just odd considering the character's past. Is it supposed to be self-loathing?
Edited by blosslover, Sep 29 2014, 12:28 PM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I also don't get the Doctor's hatred of soldiers
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I don't recall him making those kinds of comments before but I figured something happened in the last season that I missed. Maybe not?

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't think you really missed anything... In the past, the Doctor has been against certain weapons (Osterhagen Key) and some soldiers' behavior, but he didn't hate anyone based solely on their being in the military or else how could he be friends with the Brig or others at UNIT.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply