Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Doctor Who; All seasons
Topic Started: Sep 2 2012, 11:20 AM (3,312 Views)
bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
For as much as I enjoyed Michelle Gomez, the kissing bothered me, too. I recognize that the Master is now in a female body but from what I've read (I spent about a half-hour reading around about the Master yesterday) there wasn't anything remotely romantic in their past. I still remember Missy calling the Doctor her boyfriend in her first appearance. At least if she'd been the Rani it would have made sense. I also thought some of her dialogue was a bit silly for an intelligent Time Lord.

Do you know of anywhere to watch Delgado's original incarnation of the Master, BL? I'm curious about him now. I know some of the early series can be hard to find.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for that link, KMI! Looks like there isn't an affiliate that carries RetroTV here in Columbus, OH. Oh well.

Do you think any of Delgado's Master stories are better than the rest? I found Terror of the Autons on DailyMotion and just finished watching it. I thought the story a bit weak, and the Autons felt insignificant, but I did enjoy Pertwee's Doctor, Jo Grant and Delgado. My biggest complaint would probably be that the Master's motivation for wanting to kill the Doctor seemed to be only because he's E-VOL. That was their first serial together, though, so I'm assuming the rivalry gets 'fleshed out' a bit more in future episodes.

I found The Three Doctors on Netflix, so I'm going to watch that next. I've not seen any of the serials with Hartnell's or Thoughton's Doctors. Autons was the first time I'd seen a full episode with Pertwee.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks, BL!

Really enjoyed The Three Doctors. I was a little worried going in because the reviews on its wiki page were mixed, but I ended up watching all 4 episodes in one sitting. The bickering between Two and Three was quite fun. Also liked the Brigadier's confusion over it all, and how Omega's will made a prison for himself. Cool to hear them talk about the First Law of Time because I had wondered about where that'd come from.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Looks like the numbers took a good hit after Listen. I enjoyed the season but can't think of one episode that stands out as one I'd want to watch again. If it weren't for how much I like Capaldi, I might of not watched every episode of the season.

Quote:

And reading the article makes it very clear to me why Missy just is a terrible terrible alt-Master.
Michelle Gomez's performance is what saves it for me. She's fun to watch and has a good chemistry with Capaldi. But even though I've only seen one serial with Delgado's Master, I still don't see why she is the Master. Other than the fact that she told us that's who she is, I don't see any kind of satisfying connection. On the bright side, though, the reveal that she's the Master has gotten me in the mood to watch Classic Who.

Spearhead From Space is on NetFlix, and on a number of the Best-Classic-Who lists, so I've watched that one next. Enjoyed Three's introduction, and I'm becoming a big fan of the Brigadier. Liz Shaw was fun, too. The Autons got to do a lot more than in Terror of the Autons but I got slightly bored in the middle until the action started picking up at the end of episode 3. I loved that the Doctors cape was something he'd taken/stolen from the hospital.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just got a free trial for Hulu Plus. When I went to see what Classic Who episodes they have, to my surprise I found An Unearthly Child! Really enjoyed the first episode. A nice set up. Then they totally lost my attention with those silly primitive people and their quest for fire. I skipped EP3 and through EP4 until the Doctor and his companions race to the TARDIS and land on the next planet.

There's a lot more Classic Who on Hulu Plus than NetFlix. I'm excited to watch the first story featuring the Daleks!

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
Nov 17 2014, 09:07 PM
This is why fast forward is needed when watching old-Who. :firemad: I fast forward quite a bit.
That's funny because I've been telling myself you're dedicated enough to watch each episode from start to finish, which gives me pangs of guilt. It's a relief knowing you skip stuff, too, lol.

The Daleks is off to a good start. I'm about half way through EP3, but being that it's 7 episodes I'll probably get restless at some point.

I warmed to Pertwee immediately but it's taking me a bit longer with Hartnell. I'm guessing it's because I'm so used to quick and witty Doctors, and Hartnell has a different kind of delivery.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Three Doctors has been my favorite serial of all the Classic Who I've watched over the past week and a half. Mostly because I enjoyed the interactions between Two, Three and the Brigadier. I can see how it would get a bit boring, though, and Omega's story might seem silly.

Quote:

Did you see "Adventure in Time and Space" ? If not, that might help set the tone. It's excellent. David Bradley is terrific.
Were they airing that last year around the time of the Christmas Special? I feel like I may have watched parts of it because I'd not ever seen Hartnell before.

The Daleks was mostly good. It held my full attention through the first 4 episodes, but by the middle of episode 6 I was ready to skip to the end of 7. I ended up just reading the recap for the final episodes on TARDIS wiki and called it a day. I'm curious about The Edge of Destruction because it's just 2 episodes that take place inside the TARDIS.
Edited by bilki, Nov 19 2014, 11:55 AM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I know I've mentioned before how much I love Sarah Jane, so I watched her first serial last week. Enjoyed it quite a bit, maybe even more than I expected. I'll give Linx some credit, too. He was a fun villain.

I tried to watch Pertwee's final serial but skipped through most of it after EP2. Actually, I skipped right to the end to watch the regeneration.

I've been taking a little break but may start watching again soon at the beginning of Tom Baker's run. Those are the stories I remember from when I was a kid.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was fun. Probably the one Christmas special I've liked most, that I can remember. I'm a big fan of bickering/banter, most of the time, so the back-and-forth between the Doctor and Santa made me chuckle.

Also a fan of dreamy-weamy stuff, and this was no exception. The dream-within-a-dream nature of it was probably the main reason I liked it as much as I did. I can see the comparisons to Inception but this didn't feel like a "rip off" to me.

I was a little disappointed in the ending, mostly because I was looking forward to a new companion. But Clara has grown on me enough that I'm not pissed about it.

In regards to Tom Baker, it makes sense that you're still adjusting to him, KMI, especially because you've got so many other Doctors to compare him against. I really like Pertwee, and could see myself having trouble with Tom Baker if I had met Pertwee first. I wonder, though, if what you see as buffoon-ish I see as more of a playful quality.

How far off is "City of Angels" on RTV? I've read so many positive things about that one, and now I see that it was written by Douglas Adams. I'm currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I'm enjoying.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Blasphemy!!!

:D

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I do wonder if you'd have a different opinion of Tom Baker's Doctor if you'd watched him back in the 80s, a time when we were more accepting of a lot of silliness that wouldn't pass with today's audiences. And after you hear about how loved something or someone is for so long, it can be difficult for you own opinion not to be tainted.

But I'm not making excuses, or anything.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OMG! I didn't realize the new season starts this Saturday! Any suggestions on how to watch, since my hateful cable provider dumped BBCA? Do you think it will be on LiveStream, BL?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Remember when you directed me to LiveStream to watch Broadchurch, BL? Someone was kind enough to post the episode there and I watched it before I saw your post here. Hopefully, the person will continue to upload the rest of the season.

Typical mixed bag from Moffat. I got goosebumps from the opening scene. A boy named Davros! But I thought the entire scene in which Clara and Missy were reunited with the Doctor was groan-worthy. And is it just me, or does it seem like Moffat is trying too hard to make the show hip or cool with young people? Maybe I'm just being a grumpy old man, lol.

I like how they played with the Doctor and the Master/Missy having an adversarial friendship.

Loved the Tom Baker clip! I was worried the episode was going to go right off the rails but I did enjoy the Doctor's confrontation with Davros. Although, it's difficult invest in the Doctor being upset over something happening to Clara when Moffat is constantly writing the characters into a corner and then creating some silly way for them to slip out of it.
Edited by bilki, Sep 20 2015, 10:18 PM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well this is unexpected. Looks like IFC channel is running a marathon of the current season tonight, so I'm recording them.

Have you two been enjoying the season?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Witch's Familiar

The Wiki page shows plenty of critical praise for this one. I'm not sure how much of what we're seeing is audience manipulation and how much is the Doctor trying to manipulate Davros. If the Doctor knows what Davros is up to, why all of the moaning and groaning over nothing? Still trying to wrap my mind around all of this.

Enjoyed the banter between Missy and Clara, and I loved Missy's reactions to the Dalek translating what Clara is saying inside it. Missy trying to get the Doctor to kill Clara inside the Dalek made me chuckle.

Missy has a daughter? Is it.....Clara?

The Sonic Sunglasses are silly. Bring back the screwdriver!
Edited by bilki, Nov 7 2015, 12:07 AM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
While looking around at AV Club, I stumbled upon the review for "Sleep No More". I was amused by the back and forth between people who liked it and those who thought it was a complete mess.

I've seen positive comments about the Zygon two-parter but that marathon I recorded ended with Part 1. I still haven't watched "Girl Who Died/Woman Who Lived".

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Clara's death? Somehow, I think I knew it was coming by the end of this season. Maybe I saw people talking about this being Coleman's last season? Anywho, I didn't feel spoiled.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Interesting. Not who I was expecting. What happened to Toby Whithouse or Mark Gatiss?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: