Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Doctor Who; All seasons
Topic Started: Sep 2 2012, 11:20 AM (3,287 Views)
blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I appreciated that Clara got upset over everything as it was about time. That said it is too bad that Amy and Rory didn't get to do that. Some people were upset by Kill the Moon as they saw it as a pro-life story. (Like bilki, I'd like to know what you found KMI...)
Edited by blosslover, Oct 7 2014, 10:28 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It had to do with the mummy being a soldier. He stopped once the Doctor said I surrender. The space train reminded me of the space Titanic.

Perkins the engineer guy is a huge Doctor Who superfan IRL named Frank Skinner. He has been campaigning to be on the show for years. During the DW bonus feature for the episode, he said he wished they had let him say he wanted to stay....I would have liked that for a change.

The one thing I've noticed a tad from some factions of the DW fandom (not that I see much) is that there are some who LOVE everything and are almost too positive...(same with soap fans still don't get it...)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The part with the wolves and the tiger was weird...as really would Danny take the kids to confront the tiger. That was ridiculous as no teacher would do that.

I do think that Danny is written as controlling, and I don't like that. The best thing about him is how BBCAmerica misunderstood a Danny line in one episode and people thought he called Clara a b#tch but he said bench. It was got our bench...but captions said what up b#tch...

I thought this episode was a bit weak due to the inclusion of the kids and how London was treated. If it was a class trip, then there would have been parents and the like not just two teachers. They were in Trafalgar Square, which became a forest, and they were the only ones there. That makes no sense...

It is also like the issue I had with Mummy on the Orient Express, as where were the female scientists...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked to think that the sister was held hostage by the fairies that were in that Torchwood episode. It makes no sense, but whatever.

I read Digital Spy and their forums have mixed opinions on DW this series. That said this last episode wasn't as popular...

Doctorwhotv.co.uk has a weekly poll on each episode out of 10...(this doesn't include this week's episode) & isn't for spoiler avoiders...

Listen – 8.918
Flatline – 8.774
Mummy on the Orient Express - 8.679
Deep Breath – 8.282
Into the Dalek – 8.052
Time Heist - 7.823
Kill the Moon – 7.808
The Caretaker - 7.795
Robot of Sherwood – 7.512

Link to UK ratings etc...

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-8-ratings-accumulator-66394.htm

Deep Breath 6.8m (overnight) 9.17m (final) 10.76m (L+7) AI 82
Into the Dalek 5.2m (overnight) 7.29m (final) 8.26m (L+7) AI 84
Robot of Sherwood 5.2m (overnight) 7.28m (final) 8.25m (L+7) AI 82
Listen 4.8m (overnight) 7.01m (final) 7.80m (L+7) AI 82
Time Heist 4.93m (overnight) 6.99m (final) AI 84
The Caretaker 4.89m (overnight) 6.82m (final) AI 83
Kill the Moon 4.81m (overnight) 6.91m (final) AI 82
Mummy on the Orient Express 5.08m (overnight) 7.11m (final) AI 85
Flatline 4.6m (overnight) 6.71m (final) AI 85
In the Forest of the Night 5.03m (overnight) TBCm (final) AI 83

(iPlayer figures are not included in the ‘final’ figure)
(Live Plus 7 (L+7) counts those who watched live and all repeats, including iPlayer, within seven days following broadcast.)
(The Audience Appreciation Index (AI) is a score out of 100 which is used as an indicator of the public’s appreciation for a show.)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Really it must depend on the age of the students and the district regarding field trips (even the state). It isn't an overnight event though?

Maebh's phone call reaching everyone was farfetched....I handwaved the sister coming home as the invisible beings had her hostage, but returned her no harm no foul..as they looked like fireflies...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Prelim ratings from the UK plus last week's full ratings:

In the Forest of the Night 5.03m (overnight) 6.92m (final) AI 83
Dark Water 5.27m (overnight) TBCm (final) AI TBC

Okay so Moff strikes again. I love that in an interview he says Missy is not a particular character and then Missy is that character. WHAT? I'm sorry, can he just say I'm not discussing spoilers, by doing that I just get annoyed.

Otherwise I wish they had not spoiled certain things in the promos/pictures for adverts as that ruined the surprise of the cybermen.

My favorite line had to do with the hitting with a shoe comment as I say that. Humorous to me that people on the other side of the pond also say that.
Edited by blosslover, Nov 2 2014, 12:45 PM.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Bilki programming note for you: due to BBCAmerica adding Sherlock reruns, Dark Water will be on at 6 PM ET instead of right before the series 8 finale. (I wish you got BBCAmerica on demand so we could discuss it.)

I was thinking the chemistry is not what it should/could have been...and now Capaldi had to do those kind of scenes...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My local Retro TV feed sometimes pre-empts DW during the week for events, so it makes it hard to watch. Once on the Saturday omnibus they also had some sports on instead. I try to watch when I can though, they are still showing Hartnell episodes on Saturday, but I've seen a few of the Pertwees skipping back and forth. I like the Bond like adventure aspect..

BTW did you see Sean Pertwee as his Dad's Doctor for Halloween? It was priceless...

I feel the same way about not knowing exactly what I thought about the episode without the context of the remainder of the story.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It wasn't a true news item...it was on social media. Here is a copy that was on imgur.com if it doesn't work let me know. http://i.imgur.com/HEcUiOK.jpg

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
This article mentions the idea that this finale was in honor of the 100th anniversary of WWI. That was supposed to be a tribute, I'm a bit horrified. http://slouching.tv/2014/11/08/doctor-who-s8-ep12-death-in-heaven/

For me Missy being the Master made me think what is up with the snogging. It isn't as if any of the male Masters kissed the Doctor...That said why didn't the Doctor know Missy was a time lord from the moment they met even if he didn't realize which one.

This article about the finale from Kasterborous hits a lot of elements of what was wrong with the episode...
http://www.kasterborous.com/2014/11/death-heaven-silver-lining/ They also have page that has links to all the major press on the finale. http://www.kasterborous.com/2014/11/press-thought-death-heaven-reviews-roundup/

Osgood being the surrogate of the audience and then she's killed. I'm hoping it was the Zygon version or something, just because I like the character. Not because I am big on the idea that characters come back from the dead. The material with the Brig...OMH that was disturbing...if that was the intention fine. If not, offensive. The idea that everyone would become cybermen made zero sense as there is no way that everyone in a cemetery was not cremated. And how much DNA is needed, as truly then couldn't random hair samples of living people somehow become cybermen. Again this made no sense...

With RTD versus Moffat, I think that is how I see it too. RTD's flaws I can relate to, while Moffat's I can't ignore. Perhaps part of it is that Moffat sees the Doctor as less than he is...

BL (who is laughing that my computer thinks snogging isn't a word...this is a DW thread, so of course it is one and it is spelled correctly.)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
If you have Netflix, some Master episodes are posted there. There are feeds that are live of RTV, but they can be hit or miss. Otherwise you need to just type in a title and hope you can find something. =)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMI did you have any more thoughts about the final two episodes if you had more time to think about them?

Anyway I wanted to post this article with Moff... http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-11-12/we-tried-to-trick-doctor-who-fans-into-thinking-missy-was-the-rani-reveals-steven-moffat

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here is the RTV live feed link. http://www.tikilive.com/show/wsfd15 to see what DW is airing...

It doesn't always work, but you could check it out if you were around in the evenings Monday to Friday 8 - 9 pm ET or 6 - 8 ET on Saturdays...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here are the full ratings in the UK for DW this series...interesting how the finale had a higher rating, but not as high as the premiere.

The 2014 ratings so far:

Deep Breath 6.8m (overnight) 9.17m (final) 10.76m (L+7) AI 82
Into the Dalek 5.2m (overnight) 7.29m (final) 8.26m (L+7) AI 84
Robot of Sherwood 5.2m (overnight) 7.28m (final) 8.25m (L+7) AI 82
Listen 4.8m (overnight) 7.01m (final) 7.80m (L+7) AI 82
Time Heist 4.93m (overnight) 6.99m (final) AI 84
The Caretaker 4.89m (overnight) 6.82m (final) AI 83
Kill the Moon 4.81m (overnight) 6.91m (final) AI 82
Mummy on the Orient Express 5.08m (overnight) 7.11m (final) AI 85
Flatline 4.6m (overnight) 6.71m (final) AI 85
In the Forest of the Night 5.03m (overnight) 6.92m (final) AI 83
Dark Water 5.27m (overnight) 7.34m (final) AI 85
Death in Heaven 5.45m (overnight) 7.60m (final) AI 83

Also to add: Here are the US ratings for the Doctor Who series 8 finale... 18-49...and what the ratings looked like for Capaldi's first episode...

DOCTOR WHO SEASON 8 BBCA 9:00 PM 1102 (live same day - add 000) 0.4 (FINALE)
DOCTOR WHO SEASON 8 BBCA 8:15 PM 2189 (live same day - add 000) 0.9 (Capaldi's 1st Full episode)
Edited by blosslover, Nov 16 2014, 09:52 PM.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I watched some of The 3 Doctors on RTV the last couple of days. Sometimes I wish they would do supercuts of the classic shows. I saw the first episode on RTV and love it then got bored...as the serial continued. The weekend showing on RTV is the gunfighters, which is the strangest thing. I can totally understand why Barrowman would talk about it the way he did in the 1st Doctor special last year.

I think the first Pertwee story was extremely good as an introduction and found him likable from the start. Perhaps part of it was how I could parse things out that reminded me of modern Who.
Edited by blosslover, Nov 19 2014, 12:06 AM.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes it aired at the 50th time, and then again around Christmas.

Exactly, it felt like some weird bad historical wild west movie...(The Gunfighters)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Shoot due to the holidays I haven't been seeing the Retro episodes and, but good to know about Lis Sladen's stuff being on as I do want to see that.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought Last Christmas was entertaining, but a mixture of Amy's Choice and the beetle that Donna had to deal with that created another universe. The quips though were very amusing.

Again I liked the guest people, that was interesting in this series that a lot of the guest people I could see as future companions. Maybe they were testing in case Jenna decided to leave...

I think that's interesting about Tom Baker....due to issues with my RTV (local sports preemptions, I've been missing a lot of episodes, so I'm rather confused...on the weekend RTV I missed Hartnell becoming Troughton due to going out for my birthday... When I saw the one BBCAmerica Tom Baker episode, my feeling was great love for Lis Sladen, and Baker was just okay...It takes time for him to get into the part, and I think if one really likes Pertwee it is harder.)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
For some Inception may have...I agree with you that the movie wasn't the creator of that idea. Clara leaving or not leaving shouldn't influence the like of the episode. I do think it is the best one in years...last year's I didn't like...

I would love it though if they would have two companions in the TARDIS again that were just friends and not love interests. That would be fun, as DW hasn't done that in years.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't know anyone who posts a livestream, but if/when I find one I'll let you know. The first prequel thing has been posted for the season. (Two minute pre-episode).

KMI with Tom Baker, I can sort of get that. I think for many he is the Doctor as he was their first. The 2nd Doctor episodes on Retro are so sparse, I don't really have an opinion of him. (They didn't even air a month worth of his episodes after they finished with the Hartnell ones. Then they skipped to the third 3rd Doctor story.) My favorite of the classic Doctors of what I've seen is 3.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki BBCAmerica put the first episode of the new series up so everyone can watch it legally in the US. It is on their YouTube page and Tumblr. :)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The guitar stuff went on too long. They could have just did a special feature or miniepisode with him playing. Again the Doctor is going to "die" but not really. It is getting to be a bit much, I liked the episode on its face, but I don't think I want to try and dissect it.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Someone recently posted a video on YouTube from Capaldi's band days. It was totally punk.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
IFC is part of the AMC family and BBCAmerica is too, so that's probably why IFC is airing it.

While I like two-parters, I wish they would have breaks between them of stand-alone episodes. Until I've seen a complete story, I don't like to write/post about them. I think Capaldi has settled in as the Doctor and they made him a lot less "mean". That said
Spoiler: click to toggle
Seeing Maisie from GOT was nice, though she had a mixed reaction.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen the last two, was waiting until I could see all of them as the last of the series other than Christmas are all tied together.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
LOL not who you were expecting bilki! (That said I know you didn't expect McGann) I think Gatiss wants to also continue to act, and running DW would make that impossible.

I'm relieved that Broadchurch is going to go on as normal. That would have upset me.

That said having a full year with no episodes is bad for DW in the US. People lose interest if there is nothing and it looks like it is going off of Netflix. I'm more interested in what will happen with Capaldi and the new companion.

BL (who is editing to add that Stats Britain is happy they wrote:

100% of Britons have never been so happy someone quit their job.

Chris Chibnall is already loved 3982% more than Steven Moffat.
) HA HA they are hilarious
Edited by blosslover, Jan 25 2016, 12:51 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: