Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Kim Zimmer Tells All
Topic Started: Jul 22 2011, 12:29 PM (4,094 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Kim-Zimmer-Book-1035547.aspx

I think all of us old GL fans are gonna want to discuss this next month. The interview with Logan is a hoot. I do disagree with her co-writer already, the bitch. Not because she was working simultaneously with Lucci and not telling KZ, but because she convinced Zimmer that no one wanted to read her spewing and bitching and ranting. I think we did. And do.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Fun read. Cant wait to read the book though I too was hoping for lots of spewing bitching and ranting. I'm sure even toned down its probably still pretty colorful. I dont think Zimmer can do boring.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think I will read it as well! I would count on Zimmer to tell it like it is!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I hope they let her bitch plenty. I think she would agree with many of our views about the show.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Amazon emailed me to say my pre-order is in the mail. hoo-rah

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read a few reviews yesterday from people who got it preorder on their kindle already. It sounds really good. I think I'm gonna order it on Friday. Let us know how you like it :)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
What is the actual title? I think I will order as well.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
The believe the whole title is:

I'm Just Sayin': Three Deaths, Seven Husbands and a Clone My Life as a Daytime Diva

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]

I really enjoyed the book. There are a thousand bits of gossip and stories that anyone who watched GL regularly will enjoy.

I know she had a co-author, and Morton must be damn good because Zimmer comes through on every page. There were only a few paragraphs where said, “Okay….Morton wrote that.” “Hmmmph, Morton tweaked that.” (And I could be wrong, of course.) Frankly, the places where Zimmer reins in and tries to be fair and balanced…. lol I’d include everything she said about EW…

I so much admired her understanding of the show, her sense of the show’s greatness and historic nature.

I loved how brutal she was in some of her descriptions and complaints. And based on what I remember being discussed and reported at the time…how spot on. Especially her observations in chapters 14 and 15. How many of us noted the same thing: “…it was so poorly executed it felt intentional-as if they were trying to kill the show.” (p. 220)

Still wondering about Zimmer’s alcohol use. Yeah some abusers are situational and not really alcoholic, but….. I hope she isn’t fooling herself.

Zimmer speaks so often of the “fantasy” affairs with her male castmates, and hastens to add stuff about her husband A.C. and the strength of her marriage. But. Given the many times they were apart, and the way she phrased things, it does encourage speculation. I wonder if they (did once) have an “open” relationship. Then again, Zimmer really is exuberant and bigger than life so I can see her reveling in the pretense relationships with passion.

Zimmer has a PA signing on Tuesday at Homestead just east of Pittsburgh at the famous waterfront mall, which was built on the bones of the steel mills that shut down during the 70s and 80s. It’s about 50 minutes from me so I’m tempted to go. If I thought there wouldn’t be massive lines…

Reading this was cathartic for me after all this time. I still don’t really understand the business end of the television industry. It still seems like such a waste and a loss.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I will try to get the book. It sounds like a fun read.

If you get a chance to go and actually see Zimmer, well, I wish you could give her a hug from me. I know it wouldn't be allowed and for good reason, but if you ever got a chance, tell her at least one of her fans who will never get a chance to meet her sends her a hug--and many, many thanks for her work.

OH: forgot to ask. Does she still defend Brad Cole as an actor? I hope not: just the thought makes my stomach churn. Happiest for me would be if he were just not mentioned, or only mentioned as a nice guy/musician.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
KM, we were just back there and i had no idea there was a mall in Homestead. I would love to see it.
I hope you go, I know Pgh is a big fan base but still I would think you could get to meet her.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir...I am so sorry to say that the onliest thing in the book that soured me was her enthusiastic Bradley Cole support. She really really likes him. She also alludes to the fact that his return was fan-driven as he was so popular. not anywhere I hung out online.

So, maybe I gotta respect that as a person he is a great guy. And I admit upon reflection that I never really hated prince Richard, or even Richard and Cassie. It was the way the writers brought him back as the horndog, and the Marah thing, and the bad bad writing as if he was a stud. He could have been tolerable as a Frank Cooper 'solid nice guy' type, but the way he was positioned just nauseated me. Oh well.

Krystal, I'm really leaning towards going, except that every fan thing I've been to in Pittsburgh has been crowded. Here's a couple links to Waterfront Mall info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Waterfront

http://www.cmu.edu/steinbrenner/brownfields/Case%20Studies/pdf/waterfront1.pdf

I'm not a fan of the mall. It's a lot of stand alone box stores, more of a loosely connected retail space, like a mini-outlet mall design.

And I abso-FRACKING-lutely hate they built it on the site of the historic 1892 Homestead Strike. I worked with petitioners who tried to have the site "repurposed" as a historical site/museum, etc. The developers did in fact make some (imo minor) efforts as part of the public works compromise.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I am honestly sure Brad Cole is a nice enough guy. I am also honestly sure that KZ and BC believe he was wildly popular as Jeffrey because, well his fanbase put the fanatic into fans....And I would be lying if I didn't think that a part of KZ's fondness for BC is that she believes he helped her popularity because of their loathsome pairing.

I agree that I didn't mind him as Richard (but Richard, if you will pardon the pun, was a bit of a dick) and actually, I liked Richard/Cassie and felt that they really should have let them be the fairy tale happy ending never to be seen again except occasionally, once every couple of years or so when we needed a sl with some location...

How awful that they ruined an historic site for a mall.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I never liked the "Prince" sl, especially Cassie the stripper with the Prince, but that character was not loathesome anyhow, as was the reincarnation. The whole thinkg was handled so stupidly. So maybe Cole is a nice guy, who knows. I never liked Reva with him at all, but then there were many pairings that never worked on the show.

I did order the book, paper not kindle, as I will probably read it at pool or just on break between work or "real" reading.

Big agree about the mall, I was shocked to hear they would put it there. Big box stores, ugh. My mother is on the West side and sister in law in Upper st Clair so I just run between the 2 places and never see the rest of the Burgh any more.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Started to read it but just started. How far along is everyone?

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mine hasnt arrived yet hopefully tomorrow or Monday. Cant wait to get started!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read the first 70 pgs so far, It was mostly about her background, pre-GL and meeting AC. Not thrilling but good background info. She also talked about GL shutting down and how devastating it was to everyone, especially the long timers. She will now get in to GL big time, and I wil report in. Should be intersting. So far, no love lost for Wheeler for sure, and it really does sound like Zimmer talking which is good. So far, I am glad I got this book even though hsb is laughing at me for doing so.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Interesting, continuing on. Zimmer takes pride in talking of her middle class background and said she continued to live in Jersey and commute on the train. It would appear she and AC did not live high on the hog or anything, so they should have some money saved. I never could figure out what he did (if anything). I know she was making decent bucks for several years so unless she took a bath in the market , she should be OK not working in the future.

She kind of took a shot at Lillian who she said "married money and didn't have to work" "commuting from the Uppeer East Side in a Limo".

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Zimmer's husband directed soaps and acted too. Ironically he is going to be on OLTL in the next week or two...(don't want to say more as that would be a spoiler.)

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought Kim's husband in addition to directing and doing some acting, either owned a small theater company in New Jersey, or had major shares in one. (Think I read this somewhere several years ago).

I haven't read her book, as yet.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0915727/ Definitely incomplete in the directing credits... (more than just AW, I know...)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I am about 3/4 done and very disappointed in this book. Zimmer raves about all of her male co workers but praises none of the women other thatn Beverlee mcKinsey. She says nothing or takes shots about the rest of female cast. This leads me to believe that she really thinks she was the female diva/star of the show and it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mine arrived today so I'm gonna start it hopefully tonight or tomorrow!

I always kinda got a diva vibe from her so it doesnt really surprise me that it carries through in the book. Though you would think she could at least mention a few of the females in a nice way.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal, out of curiousity, what abotu Crystal Chappell? Does she ignroe her or takes a shot at her?

Also, does she really say it all about GL and how it was behind the scenes?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I will probably finish it tonight, but so far she has not mentioned CC. She took a shot at Tina Sloan, as i mentioned earlier, and said Maeve K didn't like to kiss Jordan Clark when he had onions for lunch (although onions did not faze our uber lover, Zimbo). She also said one female had the misfortune of falling in love with her cast members even though she was married (BE I think). That, so far is all mentioned regarding the women.

She also said she was leery of Wheeler as "she was a woman, and all the others had been men".

Was intersting to hear how shitty it was in Peapack.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I watched the We Love Soaps interview with Zimmer... great fun to hear her laugh so much... in it, she spoke very positively of Chappell's Venice websoap...

Doesn't surprise me that she'd talk about the men so much more than the women... that's Reva, all about the men... (but yeah, I'd hope to see SOMETHING in reference to the alleged diva-offs over the years... how some of her BEST on-screen stuff with other actresses collided with some of the messiest off-screen relationships - Forbes, Watros...)

Yeah, I understand Clarke frequently had really stinky breath, and at least one other actress (Maureen Garrett) preferred not to work with him much in a 'romantic' capacity during the time fans were asking to see more of the backburner flirty potential couple of Billy & Holly... (before it became a triangle with Buzz).

I've got a hold on a library copy of the book...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Aw Krystal, I don't think Kim was that harsh with the women. She had nice things to say....when it happened to cross her mind there were women on the show and set. :P

She does definitely focus on the guys. Given that most of her work was opposite the guys, that does make sense.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I worked in a almost exclusively male profession (until recently), and I mentored my females students and had great female friends. So no, I don't think I am being hard on her.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Nothing about her working relationship with Cynthia Watros? Now I'm disappointed!
Edited by bilki, Aug 17 2011, 09:50 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Guiding Light · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: