Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Stuff We're Watching; that's not new or primetime.......
Topic Started: Jun 22 2011, 10:05 AM (1,334 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I love Dr. Cox. He's one of those guys that is Always Funny to me.

I've seen Season 1 and all-but-the-last-two-episodes-of 2... I've not yet watched Seasons 3-5 but I'm happy to have them on dvd, awaiting their turn at bat (and it's fun to have more 'new' coming to me)... I watched Seasons 6-9 'live', though it's extremely rare for me to jump into a show mid-run...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Oct 8 2011, 10:25 AM
Scrubs is pretty great, at least the earlier seasons. I didn't watch it when it originally aired but it's always a treat when I come across it on Comedy Central. Love Dr Kelso! :lmfao:
Same here. I love that show and I love catching episodes I didn't originally see!

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cox is awesome, I love him and Jordan so much.

BTW I consider Scrubs finale one of th ebest finales ever, the montage at the end always makes me cry.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really thought it was a great show. I dont\'t watch comesy with laugh tracks, ever, and this was one that did not have one, and was always so clever. Loved Cox as well as the curmiggeon (sp?) cheif of staff.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
YAY! I got Deadwood! It's so hard to get at my library that I thought they only had one copy of each disc. On the day I returned the scratched up copy of disc 1, there was another copy and I grabbed it!

Just finished episode 3, and I've enjoyed it the most. After getting to know the characters a little in the first two, the third felt like I was involved in what's happening.

The arrival of the Bella Union gang got my attention because I was happy to see Al presented with what will likely be a worthy opponent. For the most part, I'm rooting against Al. I'm sure there will be moments when I don't, though.

Really hated Calamity Jane in the first episode, but she's grown on me.

The swearing annoys me only when it's overused to the point that it knocks me out of the moment.

Every time Farnum (William Sanderson) is involved in a scene I think of Larry, Daryl and Daryl. It won't stop! But I did love the scene in which Farnum nervously admits he conspired to help bring the Bella Union people to the camp. Curious to see how it goes with Al testing out trusting someone.

Did you finish the season, KMI? I notice you quit posting your thoughts after episode 5.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
That William Sanderson thing doesn't ever go away, but when I see him now I do think of BOTH Larry and E.B....

Yeah, I don't remember KMI saying if she finished 1 or not (only that she's not bought 2 or 3 yet)...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Frustration! I very much enjoyed the fourth episode of Deadwood until this scratched DVD I got from the library wouldn't play the last 5 minutes. I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen to Wild Bill BUT I WANT TO SEE IT!

:rant:

I'm seriously considering buying the first season just to avoid the frustration.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Maybe you can find a used one on e-bay or something? It is really great. Al takes on so many facets, the writing is awesome. No one is all good or all bad....

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Funny you should ask! We finished season one last week, and I bought 2 and 3 on Black Friday on Amazon when they dropped the price to 21.99 each season. So they go in hubby's gift wrap pile - and I benefit too. :P

And damn...I just checked.

S2 is 14.99 at the moment! S3 is 21.49. Buy 'em now, folks.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow, $15 for any HBO season is a fantastic price...

(So they've announced the date - March 6th - and specs for Game of Thrones 1... I don't know how soon (good sale) I'll be picking it up, but given the exclusive-to-blu features, I expect that I'll go blu-not-standard for it - and probably Boardwalk Empire and Treme, as well...)

(One of these days, I really DO need to get myself a blu-ray player...)

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't think we had a Chuck thread. I watched it thru think and thin, even thru the deliberately intrusive Subway product placements. S3 and S4 had some rocky episodes, and thanks to continuous threats of cancellation the arcs never did flow well, but S5's 13 episode farewell season was excellent, and the finale arc was full of everything that made Chuck cool and great and awesome. When Jeffster played Aha's "Take on Me" with the orchestra to keep the bomb dormant I actually cheered. The characters all got a gloriously lovely and heartfelt goodbyes and the ending almost made me believe that Disney princesses aren't so terrible after all.

Well done Chuck. I'll miss you.
Edited by KMInfinity, Jan 28 2012, 07:19 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't watch Chuck beyond the second episode (chose to stick with similar-ish 'Reaper' instead, largely because of Ray Wise), but have followed its still-somehow-not-canceled off-screen saga over the years, and have been impressed... I'm sure I'd check it out if I had copious amounts of free time, but I'll probably never get around to it...

So my last post in this thread referred to the need to finally get a blu-ray player - I did, a couple weeks ago... huzzah. Have not had the time to play a disc as yet, but... at least now I can. And I have a good little library already - Toy Story trilogy box, Monsters Inc., Incredibles, Cars, Up, Snow White, Coraline, Wallace & Gromit collection (including the recent fourth short, which was only released in the wrong ratio on standard def, so I couldn't get that), Apocalypse Now, Big Lebowski, Blue Velvet, Grindhouse, Once Upon A Time in the West, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, Where The Wild Things Are, Harry Potter 8, Super 8, South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut, 1-4 of Mad Men, the complete series of Deadwood, Firefly, and Lost, and assorted others that were combo blu/dvd package deals (Inception, Iron Man 2, not sure what all else)... All on the shelves before I had a player that could play them.

And I got Boardwalk Empire 1 (with a bonus disc from Best Buy that had a couple exclusive featurettes, and the first ep of Season 2).

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I watched Chuck also (no surprise). I'll miss it, but was glad we had the final 13 to wrap it up in a bow. While it wasn't the best show (at times things were choppy due to the will it get cancelled or won't it, I enjoyed a lot of it.) The whole Disney thing of course was a play on how Chuck's star was a prince in a Disney movie. (Tangled).

OMG Dax got a Blu-ray player! :) Welcome to that world, the only thing that I find annoying is that with the HDMI cable you can't watch regular DVDs with captions on them. The reason that can be a pain is that's how I would watch episode commentaries (read the dialogue on the bottom of the screen and listen to the commentary over the images.)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> that with the HDMI cable you can't watch regular DVDs with captions on them.

Weird bug. Wouldn't have thought that would be the case.

Chuck - 13/22/19/24/13 - 91 total. I know the third season was 13 initially, with a bonus 6 surprise add-on, but I don't remember how you happened to get 24 (that's a lot!) in Season 4...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
If a movie or show is subtitled it works, just screwed if it is a TV show on DVD. Ran into that with Mad Men....I don't think that is an issue if you have a season in Blu-ray.

They got 13 in season 4 (or something like that), and then everything else tanked so they got an extra 11.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We are watching season 1 of Boardwalk Empire. I don't like it. I usually don't like things set in the past anyhow, but some shows (like Deadwood) are exceptional. Hsb likes it though so I will have to endure them all.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hope you like it better as it goes along... I love it. One of last year's best two new shows (the other being Game of Thrones). I think it's truly exceptional in all areas - writing, directing, acting, cinematography...

How far in are you? It takes a little time to 'settle in', but I don't expect you'll continue to think of it as something to 'endure'...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay I knew we had an old thread about this topic but I didn't think it was THIS old. Maybe there's a more recent version of the thread I missed? Wow.

So I'm binge watching 1987's Beauty and the Beast and loving it. It came out during m y first year teaching so I was super busy and watched almost nothing mid-80s and always wanted to go back and watch from the beginning. It holds up well, given its soapy slower storytelling style. I wanted to see it for a lot of reasons

-An earlier gothic urban fantasy - magic in the city is everywhere nowadays....
-Linda Hamilton!!!
-Ron Perlman, easily shining thru his beast makeup, and sexy as all getout. Yum...

DRUMROLL~~~~~~~

-George RR Martin's early TV producing and writing efforts. (He personally wrote about a third of the scripts.)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ha. Yeah, we let this go... (You finished Deadwood 1, right? But not past that...?)

I think we all just went back to discussing old-but-not-current stuff in whatever Watching catch-all we happen to be in... Either way. Whatever. Yeah, I liked the idea of this thread...

I am thinking we should probably have a 'streaming series' catch-all, since people are going to consume those at different rates and times... I've got 'Netflix news' for, like, development updates and orders-to-series (like the HBO/AMC/FX one), but maybe we could have a Netflix/Hulu/Amazon-centered topic for premiere date announcements and discussion/reviews... Either spoiler-tag or discuss in general terms... Good idea?

I didn't see much of Beauty and the Beast but I remember my Mom loving it... I remember getting her a tie-in comic book for Christmas one year...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good idea to have some separate threads. Maybe a "Binge watching" thread? (Unless that's everything anyway. :P. )

I am planning to get Netflix this summer when i have time to binge. A good friend is already bemoaning how netflix has taken over her life since she signed up at Christmas. I'm a little worried I'll become a hermit. :D

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
There's so much. And there's so much more coming...

I want to see Man in the High Castle,
Mad Dogs,
Transparent,
Mozart in the Jungle
on Amazon very badly....

Hulu - I'm missing the Mindy Project... That Katims/Aaron Paul series is gonna be must-see...

You will love Netflix. I have too many plates spinning to watch all I want to, of course... But I don't WANT to be one of those watch-it-all-in-a-weekend people, either... I have been fastest on OITNB, so far... I WILL stay up all night to watch the six hours of Gilmore Girls, I think... That'll be a big laugh-and-cry-fest for me...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Feb 1 2016, 04:50 PM
I didn't see much of Beauty and the Beast but I remember my Mom loving it... I remember getting her a tie-in comic book for Christmas one year...

Given the soapy themes and connections, the actors, and GRRM, and its actual quality, I think you might like it a lot.

(For me, another big bonus was the wonderful Jay Acovone, who I wish had gotten more work over his career.)

You need to readjust the mindset for slower story telling. Each episode is FORTY SEVEN minutes, including a 1:10 opening monologue/montage and a 30 second establishing shot of the city... Most episodes have Vincent reading poetry, or philosophy, or a scene from Shakespeare...I mean a WHOLE poem, a WHOLE scene.... It's like immersion therapy. :-D I love it.

But I can really see a lot of story angst and plot flaws that no one would accept today. + the pace is lingering. Sometimes that allows for richness and depth, but also a lot of overlong exposition and overkill with melodrama.

Yet overall the characters are engaging, the premise is intriguing, the stories are well told. I can see why the fanbase STILL holds annual cons.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'd probably like it, sure. As a kid, I wasn't interested. But I'd read comics while brushing my Mom's hair, and she'd pay me a dollar an hour to do that, while she watched Dallas and Falcon Crest, or this show, or (a few others).

I may never get to it (there being so much I want to see ahead of it), but I like Perlman and yeah, GRRM's unhappy experiences in tv led him to writing ASOIAF, in all its 'upadaptable' glory... Definitely historically interesting.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked Beauty & the Beast when it aired. I can totally understand why they still have cons as it was so unique.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · TV News & Misc. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: