Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Stuff We're Watching; that's not new or primetime.......
Topic Started: Jun 22 2011, 10:05 AM (1,333 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Maybe this thread won't ever go, but I wanted a place to comment on Deadwood, and maybe there's enough stuff folks are watching that isn't "current."

Besides Deadwood, I'm watching OLD Dr. Who on DVD...stuff from the 60s.

I am also contemplating purchasing The Wire season one, if my bank account doesn't sink into the red, and if we zip thru Deadwood as fast as I think we will. (Me, I'd marathon the entire series in a week, but hubby still works and can't sit thru more than two episodes at a time MAX. Damn those people without the couch potato gene.)

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Isn't Deadwood great? I am sooooo pissed they cancelled that show.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
So... Deadwood episodes 1 (Deadwood) & 2 (Deep Water).

I'll just jot down random impressions, especially questions at this point....please jump in with comments, but not too spoilery for future episodes. I don't really want the questions answered...lol

**So many faces I recognize and can't identify. So many names I recognize and can't locate. Mark and I spent the entire two episodes arguing if Wild Bill Hickok was Carradine. (I say yes.) I know the prostitute who shot the john.....I know I do....but drawing a blank. Where is Leo Rippy? Is he the doc? I keep thinking yes, but then the voice is SO different. The beards and general disrepair makes it even harder to figure out. I almost didn't recognize Timothy Olyphant for a minute, until his signature glare at the lynchers brought him into focus.

**The camp's historical time period is fascinating. This series starts right at the end of the Reconstruction Era. I do a really big unit on this era with 8th grade, focusing on the "delayed/failed" promise of the Civil War to African Americans....how this time sets up race relations for the next hundred years. My tag-line recently has been.... "....and thus the Civil War ends in 2008 with the election of Obama----or does it?" and let the spontaneous eruption of discussion develop. I briefly allude to the PTSD soldiers moving west, the spurt of growth west...but that's not my focus. If I teach depth of content, I can only teach so much breadth, and thus the evil gaps. And now i want to spend all week researching the real Deadwood and what it says about our nation's growth. I can already see my dilemma... Robber Barons (I'm in Pittsburgh, where every other thing is named after Carnegie) or Western Entrepreneurs Outlaws Wild West Settlers.... ?

No I can't do both. Unless I skip The Great Depression. uh......

*It's going to be VERY difficult for me to sit thru the depiction of the stereotyping and "politically incorrect" attitudes towards native American, women, Jews, and African Americans(?). How accurate are the portrayals of attitudes? I WILL need to research that. Modern America has a tendency to lump lots of attitudes historically that were much more complex and nuanced. Does the show handle its time period well, I wonder?

**The first two episodes sets up the long term conflict clearly....maybe too clearly. Bullock is a little too cartoony? Too eager to take offense? How has the damn prickly dude survived out west? He must really have a fast gun....

**I can't stop drawing parallels between "lawless" Deadwood and unsupervised Wall Street. I love my kids, but some days I think I need to teach high school. I am really interested in seeing how Swearengen holds power. So far, it seems people merely fear him, that he's so ruthless none dare cross him. Is he doing anything positive at all for the camp's benefit? Is there any altruism in him? In a lawless community, are the folks eager for ANY structure they put their support behind a warlord leader who can "keep the peace" at all costs?

**Which makes me wonder.....are these characters going to have grey to them? Swearengen's involvement with the "road agents" and his willingness to kill the Swedish kid really pushed him pretty far past redeemable. While I loved the first two episodes, I won't like the series overall as much if, to quote Giles, "The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats..." although clearly the next part ain't happening: "... and we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after."

**Curiously, being such a TO fan, I'm not much invested in his story yet. I most want to see how the doc negotiates such as horrendous tightwalk between saving lives and surviving himself. I am also BURNING to research Hickok (I hate his name's spelling..... grrr) who I lumped together with other "Wild West" dudes I know little about. Other than my love for Butch and Sundance, and the TV homage to them, "Alias Smith and Jones" I have never had much of a wild west interest.

Real Question for posters: Dare I research Hickok, or will his real life story play too much into the Deadwood plots? Mark insists Hickok joins the Traveling West Show (sponsored by Barnum?) but I think that's Buffalo Bill. It doesn't help he keeps referring to Farnum on Deadwood as Barnum. lolol Hickok seems more dangerous than someone who ends up as an entertainer.....

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Reruns of Gilmore Girls and Friends, please don't judge :)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hi.

Okay. First, good timing on this as Alan Sepinwall is doing a Deadwood Rewind this summer, and posting two separate posts - one for veterans and one for unspoiled newbies. You should read these, and not fear that you'll be spoiled (but come back to the other threads when you're all done - actor Jim Beaver, who played Ellsworth - is sharing great trivia and on-set stories...)

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/deadwood-rewind-season-1-episode-1-deadwood-newbies-edition
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/deadwood-rewind-season-1-episode-2-deep-water-newbies-edition
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/deadwood-rewind-season-1-episode-3-reconnoitering-the-rim-newbies-edition

>> Mark and I spent the entire two episodes arguing if Wild Bill Hickok was Carradine. (I say yes.)

You are correct.

>> I know the prostitute who shot the john.....I know I do....but drawing a blank

Is this Trixie, Al's favorite girl? That's Paula Malcomson - recently on Caprica, Fringe, Lie To Me... and Jax's half-sister's Mama, Maureen, on Sons last season... she was Colleen Pickett on Lost (one of The Others), and Stamos' love interest/old friend's girl on ER... Busy lady. Wonderful actress.

>> Where is Leo Rippy?

Leon Rippy is Tom Nuttall, he runs the No. 10 saloon.

>> Is he the doc?

No, that's Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran.

>> And now i want to spend all week researching the real Deadwood and what it says about our nation's growth.

Maybe wait 'til you're through the series... I mean, this is fiction, but it's mixed with so many real people... But you'll be real pleased... the series really is ABOUT the creation of a society... chaos to order...

>> How accurate are the portrayals of attitudes? I WILL need to research that.

Fairly accurate, I think... the research was thorough, I know, but some things will be altered for drama, sure...

>> Does the show handle its time period well, I wonder?

I think so, yes (but then we've never had this kind of thing produced before...). Everybody gets hung up on the use of profanity... some historians refute it, others agree with Milch that it was very probably a lot like that, but since it interferes with what we know from old movie westerns... wikipedia entry >> It is a deliberate anachronism on the part of the creator with a twofold intent. Milch has explained in several interviews that the characters were originally intended to use period slang and swear words. Such words, however, were based heavily on the era's deep religious roots and tended to be more blasphemous than scatological. Instead of being shockingly crude (in keeping with the tone of a frontier mining camp), the results sounded downright comical. As one commentator put it "… if you put words like 'goldarn' into the mouths of the characters on 'Deadwood', they'd all wind up sounding like Yosemite Sam." << Okay, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Milch defend his use OF the particular words, too, arguing that it's not entirely anachronistic...

>> The first two episodes sets up the long term conflict clearly....maybe too clearly.

Don't worry.

>> Bullock is a little too cartoony? Too eager to take offense?

Maybe. Yes... quite the little hothead.

>> How has the damn prickly dude survived out west? He must really have a fast gun....

That's our Raylan.

>> I am really interested in seeing how Swearengen holds power. So far, it seems people merely fear him, that he's so ruthless none dare cross him.

Fascinating character.

>> Is he doing anything positive at all for the camp's benefit?

Sure.

>> Is there any altruism in him? In a lawless community, are the folks eager for ANY structure they put their support behind a warlord leader who can "keep the peace" at all costs?

Um... yeah. You'll see. He's out for himself first, of course, but... he's not all-out evil or without concern for others, either.

>> Which makes me wonder.....are these characters going to have grey to them?

Yes.

>> While I loved the first two episodes, I won't like the series overall as much if, to quote Giles, "The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats..." although clearly the next part ain't happening: "... and we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after."

You don't need to fear that. There are elements of... I always like when enemies come together to fight a bigger enemy (even our pre-chip Spike didn't ALWAYS hate the Scoobies), you know? There's a lot of that here...

>> Curiously, being such a TO fan, I'm not much invested in his story yet.

It gets better, but he's really only an ostensible lead, the 'good guy', but... it's definitely an ensemble, and you'd probably better be able to argue Swearengen as lead over Bullock...

>> I am also BURNING to research Hickok

Don't do that. Not yet.

>> Dare I research Hickok, or will his real life story play too much into the Deadwood plots?

Wait.

>> Mark insists Hickok joins the Traveling West Show (sponsored by Barnum?) but I think that's Buffalo Bill.

Yeah, I think that's the other Bill (Cody).

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Dax, especially for the Sepinwall tip!

How in the world did I not realize Malcolmson was Caprica/Sons alum... sheeesh. And Rippy is Nutall. I have no memory of him at all. I'll need to watch for Nutall in the next eppy.

Glad you confirm I should not worry. (I really wasn't, but just thinking as if I knew no post-critical info...lol)

I will, with difficulty, avoid research for now....

The profanity doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes the "spirit" is respected even if the "letter" of accuracy isn't. Other fictionalizatons could be much more problematic...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
But the USE of language... (and by that, I don't just mean the profanity) - oh, it's so good. Poetry. The way Milch's people talk - particularly Al in his soliloquies - wonderful dialogue I often had to back up and hear two or three times (first time maybe for understanding, second for appreciation...). Like Sorkin's stuff, it would take me a long time to watch an hour of Milch's Deadwood because I was loving the words and their deliveries so much.

>> Thanks Dax, especially for the Sepinwall tip!

Great timing, your starting now (though you'll get ahead fast, as he's doing it weekly). He's really great at dissecting the whole thing, and the better the show (Sopranos, Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad), the better the analyses and discussion that follows...

Tease for Episode 3 - you'll meet Joanie, a big favorite of mine (Kim Dickens, who is Janette on Treme now and was Cassidy on Lost)... and Cy Tolliver, played by the great Powers Boothe (who was the second choice casting for Swearengen - Ed O'Neill was first)... and master magician Ricky Jay as Eddie...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
As for 'stuff we're watching' (that isn't new or primetime)...

As soon as I finish my Lights Out (probably done with it tomorrow) and Rubicon (next week sometime) marathons... well, I REALLY want to get some more movies from the last 7 or 8 years under my belt... have been neglecting movie viewing for a long, long time...

But tv stuff I have and am anxious to see...

Skins Season 4 -- Only 8 episodes... BBC America didn't air it here, I had to grab the dvd...
Rome Season 2 -- In GoT afterglow, I think I'd like to get back to this now...
Dollhouse 1 & 2 -- Can you believe I didn't go beyond 1.6 of the Joss/Eliza show?
Party Down 1 & 2 -- Only half-hours... this seems pretty doable...

And you know, I never did finish Freaks and Geeks...

And then there's Battlestar Galactica. Sigh. NEXT summer...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved Deadwood, it would be a tie I think with BB for my al time faves ever ever. You will be interested in how Swearingen evolves, in fact how all of the characters do. I loved the cast. I am delighted to see Olyphant do a series, and many of the others get work but I would love to see McShane again. And Jane, dear God what a woman!

Sadly, I think the cruelty and demeaning of women was accurate. I also think the liquid morphine was used liberally as an "antidepressant" as well.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
These days the DVD set that I am marathoning is season 3 of True Blood. Since I don't have HBO, won't see season 4 for a long time, but decided why not. The Blu-Ray version has this interesting mode that allows hints, and in character comments to pop up at random times throughout each episode.

I'm not sure what I am going to start with next, when I figure it out I will post.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am also watching last seasons TB. Have about 4 left.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax, I love the "poetry" of Deadwood too. I was referring to the reviews I'd read, which I thankfully remember only a little, that made such a deal about the profanity, and an article i read that had scholars arguing about Deadwood's language accuracy, with one group certain it was common, and another group claiming that "their" slang and profanity was different from today's, including a lot more blasephemy, which was seen as being as bad or worse.

Reconnoitering the Rim- Episode 3
**I'm not getting good vibes for the long term health of Wild Bill. Foreshadowing seems pretty heavy....

**I really like Kim Dickens a lot in Treme. It'll be great to see her here. I did a double take when she appeared. I canNOT picture O'Neill as Swearengen. McShane already IS the character, and I've seen him in so much already so that's amazing.

**The Bella Union gang are great. Funny to see how they represent "classy" as opposed to the Gem. Relativity...lol I guess the big question will be if they are "better" than Swearengen, or if it's a case of "better the devil you know..."

*The brutally continues to stun. I really didn't see them killing the city dude - Brom? Dority is just banal evil. He reminds me of Warren in Buffy.... "I'm not really evil".... I like the prospector who was watching secretly when Dority murdered Brom.

**Bullock (damn, another name I dislike for multiple reasons...wish they'd continue to call him "Montana") continues to be driven by his immediate goals. Were he and Sol attending a different shootout victim's funeral? The transition with "Boot Hill" seemed confusing. And I'm not enjoying the reverend.

**I will need a better memory to refer to characters and incidents. The episode guides for this show suck or are "no longer available" or are laced with spoilers...of which I scanned over one line and now I'm bummed.

Krystal, I am so psyched to do some research, especially about Hickok and Calamity Jane, and am restraining myself. I love the character.

Dax I cannot believe you haven't seen all of Freaks and Geeks. I have arguments with a friend about whether F&G or Firefly is the worst cancellation ever and the show that deserved a full series run. (We love both.) I don't feel bad having a big "list of great stuff" I failed to watch any more. :P

Bloss, I find TrueBlood to be getting weaker over time. S3 wasn't as good as S2 imo, and the previews and leaked stuff for S4 looks even worse to me. My paper's local review said this and I agree, and am even more disenchanted.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11175/1155829-67-0.stm

Of course, a corking good S4 could fix all that.

edited multiple times because my arthritis is causing even more typoes than usual. I need to get in the habit of proofing before posting. Sorry. :(
Edited by KMInfinity, Jun 24 2011, 10:05 AM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> I canNOT picture O'Neill as Swearengen.

HBO, of course, couldn't/wouldn't get past Al Bundy, and feared audiences would feel the same, but Milch had worked with him on Big Apple, a short-lived CBS cop series... anyway, he got to write long monologues for him later on John From Cincinnati.

>> And I'm not enjoying the reverend.

I like that actor (Ray McKinnon, whose short film The Accountant with Walton Goggins won them an Oscar...).

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Each epi has at least one amazing line.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> Each epi has at least one amazing line.

I'd put it more at 40 or 50. I mean, seriously. ONE? WAY more than that...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm too cheap and not cool enough for HBO or Showtime (but am working on it.....maybe someday springing for the $$).

Both in re-runs but funny sit coms that some here might enjoy:

Mike and Molly

The Big Bang Theory

Both really worth watching for light entertainment. It is vaguely possible that Big Bang Theory could lead to improving your scientific literacy, but only if you were willing to look stuff up if you didn't already know it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm up to episode 9 of True Blood season 3. And I think it isn't as good as earlier seasons as those I finished in under 2 weeks...this one is taken more patience to watch.
Edited by blosslover, Jun 24 2011, 10:34 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Bloss, we are about where you are with TB season 3. It seems like there is more gore and sex than prior seasons? That doesn't bother me but I wonder where they can go from here.
I think the firsr 2 were better as well.

TGIR, you can rent any of the prior seasons HBO or Showtime shows. We don't get either channel as well, because you can't buy just them here, you have to get some package with 100 other channels we'd never watch. So we rent TB and Dexter when they are released.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Here was a Man" - Deadwood - S1, e4

*Carradine was awesome. :bye1: I agree with Sepinwall about the thunder speech.

*I loved the scene with Hickok and Bullock working on building the hardware store.

*I really like Ellsworth and want to see more of him, so I was glad Dority didn't kill him after his confession. But I found both rather unbelievable, Ellsworth admitting he saw the murder of Brom, and Dority sparing him once he knew.

*Alma's character steps up. I wasn't keen on her, so judgment suspended for future developments.

*So Bullock is married. huh.

*Overall, a powerful episode, setting a clear course for the show's development, establishing themes and styles and characters. It's amazing that this is only episode 4 as it seems I "know" Deadwood and its inhabitants so well already.

"The Trial of Jack McCall" - Deadwood - S1, e5

*What really sticks out for me (teacher alert) is the issue of Deadwood's existence as a lawless community in limbo, both eager and fearful to connect with the U.S. I'm looking forward to that topic developing over the course of the series. McCall's travesty of a trial was ironic in that justice had to be denied in order to allow Deadwood the chance for justice under law as a member of the U.S.

*Cool to see that even Swearengen couldn't stomach McCall. Loved his speech that set McCall off and running. I'm still afraid to llok up Hickok irl as I'm hoping Bullock tracks him down and administers frontier justice rough and swift.

*I don't know how much I'm reading into things, but the women all seem to be subtly resisting their roles as second class citizens, picking their spots and undermining the men in ways that approach the line but dare not cross it. Trixie actually helping Alma was fine to see.

*Somehow, even in the hell of Deadwood, some are able to resist the slide into amoral inhumanity. Calamity Jane's efforts to help the plague victim from Bella union was noble and She NEEDS to be needed. And while she's helping him, her bellow of, "Shut the FUCK up." when he kept apologizing was hilarious.
Edited by KMInfinity, Jun 26 2011, 10:53 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
So Wild Bill going out in trumps Ned Stark's 9, but I was thinking google or memory was going to spoil that for you... (and then there was foreshadowing, too...)

>> I really like Ellsworth

Great guy.

>> Alma's character steps up. I wasn't keen on her, so judgment suspended for future developments.

I like Molly Parker's work a lot...

>> So Bullock is married. huh.

Yup.

>> I "know" Deadwood and its inhabitants so well already.

Yeah, it doesn't take very long...

Garret Dillahunt (McCall) is really marvelous.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just watched Jim Jefferies Comedy Special on HBO. The guy is funny ... crude but funny.

I've been watching Season 3 of True Blood with the kid. I've seen it but it was a good refresher.

I've also been watching South Park. LOL ... just hilarious and so wrong on so many levels.

Conan I watch daily during the summer.

I also tune into the Casey Anthony trial here and there.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just found out reruns of the 70s show Soap are on Antenna TV for 2 hours a week on Sunday nights. Think I found something old/new to watch. :)

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Boo Hiss! $%@&*$#%!

Amazon just notified my that Deadwood S2 and S3 have increased to $31.99.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
That's too bad. Finished True Blood season 3...now have to figure out what to view next. I have some options, when I decide I will let all of you know.

Too bad about Deadwood, that's a show I plan to get to eventually when the DVDs go down in price.

BL (who may go with her Moonlighting dvd set from Target that has the first two seasons...as I haven't watched them since original air as a kid and I know things went way over my head...)

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've finally bought Studio 60, it was for 6 pounds only and as I had to stay in bed for a week, I've watched it all. I want to start from the pilot again. I wanted to buy Sports Night but they don't have our region :(

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMI - So... where are you in Deadwood? Finished 1, and waiting for another good sale price to go further? Thoughts on the end of 1?

I finished Rubicon the other day. I was pretty pleased with it. Couple stumbles in the finale, some leaps of logic that they presumably would have sold a little better in a theoretical second season... but overall, yeah, good show. Big secret societies/government conspiracies are not as accessible an 'in' as murder mysteries (The Killing), but by the end, I can pretty safely say I liked Rubicon BETTER than The Killing's first season, and would rather be getting more of THAT, instead. But oh, well...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We're on episode 7 of S1. I'll post thoughts soon.

Mark's watching with me so I need to move at his pace. ;)

Glad you liked Rubicon (qualified). I felt that series had a plan, a vision, which is odd given that The Killing had 3? seasons of the
[- European model as a template to follow.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Watching reruns of Scrubs, we have two eppys a day, so i don't catch everything, but about 5 eppys a week. I could watch this over and over and never stop.

Also, as my bedtime show, I watch old Bones. 205 is waiting for me now. I absolutely adore first two seasons, they were the best. But the DVD were so expensive, always at least £20 something per season and few weeks ago, they had Season 1-5 set for £35, I couldn't let this go by. I had laready missed out on Fringe Season 1+2 for £17 where one season is nev er under 20, so this was a must.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Scrubs is pretty great, at least the earlier seasons. I didn't watch it when it originally aired but it's always a treat when I come across it on Comedy Central. Love Dr Kelso! :lmfao:

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
When I first tried it, I didn't like it, but then I watched few eppys and it wasn't that bad and then I fell for it.

I've never watched from the first eppy to the last one, I jsut catch reruns and watch half of a season here and half of another there, so i've seen some eppys more than ten times and some only once or not at all. So I'm always a bit lost in the timeline :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · TV News & Misc. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: