Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Modern Movies; The last 10 years!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:25 AM (13,453 Views)
tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
FWIW, Dunkirk is a big screen kind of movie.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal, I had to laugh at your shoe shopping while watching Wonder Woman. I can't disagree with your assessment of the movie but I will say that I always go into this genre of film with my expectations firmly fixed on what kind of movie it is and what to expect. In that regard, Wonder Woman really exceeded my expectations. And I will just come out and say that it was largely boosted (for me) by all of the very strong women--acting very strong. Also Wonder Woman's lines in the modern (aka WWII) days. So often women are just victims or wall paper or even worse, paper laid down for puppy accidents in films (figuratively speaking, of course). If you haven't yet done so, I strongly suggest you watch Hidden Figures. Excellent performances and deep, deep, deep admiration for the women portrayed. They managed to do tremendous, groundbreaking work, period. And to do it while black, female, married with children and in one case, as a single parent! Talk about super heroes!

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Let me know what you think about Dunkirk. We went to see that in the theater and I think that was a good choice. It's a big screen kind of movie. I thought the acting was superb. Beyond that, I'll wait until you see it.

Sometimes I really like chick flicks and sometimes...not. I like a fair number of period pieces which I think are unfairly characterized as 'chick flics.' Sometimes, I like something just because I like the actors or because I am willing/happy to take it for what it is: good (sometimes a bit raunchy) fun. I liked Bridesmaids although I got married in a courthouse and went to work afterwards, and I liked Bad Moms, too. Unexpectedly, I liked Train Wreck, but probably not enough to watch again. I've enjoyed some good female friend type movies: Beaches (original only and I know far too sentimental for you but Bette Midler!) and First Wives Club (again: Bette Midler) and a few others. I find that I've really grown quite tired of movies where women are victims or are raped or are whores or villainesses. I like films about women's lives.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I saw 3 Billboards and it's a good movie, but not an easy movie to watch due to the subject matter.

I have some quibbles, though:

It's called Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri yet the film was obviously not filmed in Missouri. It was, in fact, filmed in NC, which is prettier than MO, but not ok given the title of the film. There was no reason the film needed to called 3 Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri when it would have worked just as well and fit in with the actual film location to call it 3 Billboards Outside of Ebbing NC. Sorry but obvious geography faux pas really irritate me, especially when I know the actual places well enough to think immediately: That ain't no Missouri.

There were obvious continuity errors. When the film opens, all of the trees are in full leaf, yet they talk about it being before Easter. Later (chronologically), they show trees which really do look like spring. Some flipping back and forth for when scenes were shot vs when they occur in the films was irritating and sloppy. I expected better.

No one sounded like they might possibly be from Missouri, although Woody Harrelson was closest. I think that Francis McDormand is a national treasure and she was excellent but someone needs to tell her that people in Missouri do not sound like people from Minnesota or New England. This is a subject with which I am well acquainted since I've lived in Minnesota for 30 years and have been married to someone from Missouri for 40 years.

Why was Abbie Cornish cast as Woody Harrelson's wife? She's too young for him by a good 2 decades and she's obviously from Australia but this was not at all explained in the film or even alluded to.

Why didn't Ambercrombie arrest Dixon who he saw commit a serious assault right in front of him? I mean, honestly, why?

Why was Peter Dinklage wearing all that black hair dye and mustache? His character didn't need it and it was distracting.

The murder of the daughter was particularly gruesome and unusual. It does rather beggar belief that a more prolonged and prominent investigation wasn't conducted from the beginning.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Feb 27 2018, 11:06 PM
Also casting of ex husband's girlfriend unreal. Why would anyone want the abusive loser let alone a young pretty woman.
Re: the girlfriend. The fact that she was nearly his daughter's age was the point--it was a ridiculous relationship, and the girl was too young and dumb to know any better.

I can't see Only The Brave. It makes me weep just to think of it. I imagine it does hit really close, Krystal. Glad you have been safe.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh, I'm sorry you didn't like it, Krystal. I really did.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ah,I was happy that it wasn’t horror, and I liked the dance scene. I am not sure what I expected, but it ended up being quite different, in a good way. I love Olivia Spenser and Shannon made me loathe his character. I thought that Sally Hawkins was wonderful, too.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought it was about ‘others’ and how they are often threatened and persecuted by those on power. ‘Other’ is determine by something that makes the person different: Hawkins’ character is other by virtue of her muteness; her neighbor is gay; Spencer’s and the other workers are black. The creature, of course is the most ‘other’ and the most persecuted.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen anything really good for a while. Thanks for reminding me about The Tale. I've been wanting to catch that. I will try Annihilation, too, I think.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I actually watched The Tale today. It was very compelling, very interesting and horrifying and it all rang very true, although I am beyond tired of people claiming " It was the 70's" as though that were an excuse. I remember every single year of the 70's and most of the 60's. There was no excuse at all.

I finally rented A Wrinkle in Time and am now trying to expunge the memory by going back and re-reading the book. A lot of money wasted on a very, very bad film adaptation of a much beloved book that introduced the beginnings of mathematics rather than just arithmetic, science and foreign languages to me. All of that was missing. It was terrible.

We went to see Ocean's 8 which was a hoot. Really good performances and pretty tight writing. There are quibbles but they are very small, picky ones. Strong female cast, stellar performances. Clothes at the Gala: to die. To die.

Also went to see the Han Solo movie which was so much better than I expected. Much better, imo, than the last 2 in the franchise and really as good as the original, I think, with much better SFX. The acting is better (Minus Harrison Ford who was great in the original. Also I liked Billy D. better than Crispin Glover in the role of Lando) but really good.

My son saw Hereditary and found it absolutely terrifying. I'm not going to see it. But if horror is your thing, this is your movie to see.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
D’oh: brain fart. Very different actors. I like Donald Glover very much but preferred Billy Dee Williams’ interpretation much more.

I think you’ll like the Solo movie. Great fun. I’m sure I could pick it apart but why? It’s not art but it is really good entertainment.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: