Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Modern Movies; The last 10 years!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:25 AM (12,452 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen Boyhood yet. I had it on the dvr for awhile, but had to sacrifice it for space... but then the blu-ray was cheap enough ($8, I think) that I grabbed it... I expect I'll like it a lot.

Birdman was weird, but I liked it. I wouldn't want all movies to be like it was, but I liked it for what it was.

I like Jennifer Lawrence, but haven't seen many of her movies yet. I've liked what I have seen, and I think she's a very cool person in interviews and stuff.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I've heard/read enough good that I expect I'll probably like it.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Had a stray dog running through heavy traffic and a busy intersection yesterday... Really scary...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
After four mostly-fun-but-pretty-constantly-on-my-feet days doing a first grade class last week, I took an easy one today... high school Spanish, just-babysitting--my-job-is-done-after-I-take-roll-and-pass-out-the-assignments-except-for-letting-them-go-to-the-bathroom...

Wrote about last night's Oscars 88 a bit in the Watching thread.

But since I have some free time... Gonna make a quick-but-long list of Oscar Movies I Have Not Seen.

As I've mentioned a few times, I used to see ALL the movies (like, all the nominees in all of the major categories) - BEFORE the show... but in the last nine years, I've only seen TWO of the Picture WINNERS (Argo, Birdman). Consequence of both watching more tv and less movies, and the Depression that came about from the whole separation-from-my-wife-and-living-back-in-Vegas thing. I'm just not the movie watcher that I used to be, but if I don't die anytime soon, the intention IS still to catch up... I really DID like watching a lot of movies, I've just kinda gotten away from it..

'92-'02, I saw all the Picture noms.

Year of my birth ('72) to '91, I have some holes, I'm missing a few... I'll get to them, working backwards, after I 'get current' with '03-onward, I think...

2003 - I missed Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Mom loved it, I remember...).

I saw all of 2004's.

2005. Yeah, this is where I fell off...
bold - This won.
italics - I saw this one.
So many to see... and keep in mind that this doesn't include Directors that weren't nominated for Picture or a lot of the Acting and Screenplay categories (that I would also want to see before I say I'm 'caught up' on a given year's Oscar movies...

Crash
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Good Night, and Good Luck
Munich

The Departed
Babel
Letters from Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen

No Country For Old Men
Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
There Will Be Blood

Slumdog Millionaire
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader

2009 - rule change, ten instead of five now.
The Hurt Locker
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
Inglorious Basterds
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

The King's Speech
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The Social Network
Toy Story 3

True Grit
Winter's Bone

2011 - rule change, anywhere between five and ten now; >> nominated films must earn either 5% of first-place rankings or 5% after an abbreviated variation of the single transferable vote nominating process used for nominations in other major categories
The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close ... I did read the book, though... loved it...
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse

Argo
Amour
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi

Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
The Wolf of Wall Street

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
American Sniper
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash

Spotlight
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, either my parents or I (we share) have a LOT of the ones I haven't seen on dvd...

I think you'll like Michael Clayton.

Life of Pi remains one of my favorite you've-gotta-see-it-in-3D movies.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Which ones (nominated Best Actors last year) have you seen? Only The Martian for Matt Damon, I thought... Others were Cranston for Trumbo, DiCaprio for The Revenant, Fassbender for Steve Jobs, Redmayne for The Danish Girl..

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rylance (Supporting Actor winner) has primarily been a stage actor, yeah. This wasn't his first film, but it was the first that a lot saw, for sure, and his next will be 'bigger', audience-wise, Spielberg's adaptation of The BFG (Roald Dahl children's book).

Mad Max: Fury Road didn't win Best Picture, Spotlight did (and The Revenant won Director). MM did win more Oscars than any of the others, though (six).

I loved MM:FR - but probably not as much as you hated it, since I've probably only mentioned that I loved it two or three times, but you HAVE to say that you hated it any time it's brought up for any reason...

I haven't seen any of this year's Actor nominees, but I'm interested in all of them.

I do like Johnny Depp a lot in general (though his filmography was stronger and more interesting BEFORE the huge career boost that was the first Pirates of the Carribean movie...), and heard/read a lot of good about him in Black Mass... Looking forward to it.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not at all. It's just one of those positive/negative attention things... We all have weird trigger points... I'm not singling you out, really - it's not a complaint... I'm not suggesting you stop... I have no room to talk when we all know I watched and wrote a lot about Guiding Light on-line for its last ten years, even though I rarely had ANYTHING positive to say about it...

It's just an observation. When you like something, you let us know... But when you HATE something or someone, you'll say it a lot, and it SEEMS (may not be true - not counting or anything... but it feels) like that thing will get said a LOT more than you'll repeat a positive thing... Like, you like talking about the stuff you like okay, but the stuff you DON'T like is a lot more IMPORTANT to express... Colony started, and I knew you'd post the reminder that you hated Sarah W Callies on TWD and Prison Break... Nick Weschler from Revenge was just cast in something... If it's picked up to series, and you were to sample it, I know you'd discuss how unattractive he is to you, because that's something you'd say so often that I think of you and your dislike for him every time I see his name somewhere - 'oh, Krystal hates him'... You're not alone in your pet peeves (several of us dislike Kim Raver at least as much as you do), but you are always really vocal about them, like I'm sure I would be if Bradley Cole or Ricky Paull Goldin or somebody like that were turning up on our TVs again with some regularity (I actually DID see Goldin in an episode of Jessica Jones, and he wasn't TOO awful, but I did think 'how'd HE get cast?'..).

Hugs. Don't change. You know I adore you, right? (please take this as the gentlest possible 'teasing'...)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
True, we know each others' tastes well enough to know what to recommend to them or not (but we're wrong sometimes, too...).

I do like and watch more things, also true. (But you've seen more movies than I have, over the last ten years or so, since I've been more tv-concentrated..)

I'm probably more critical of a movie or show's writing ('the story was poorly told, so I didn't like it') than I am 'I don't like this actor, so I don't want to see that movie'...

Sometimes I'll say that I didn't like ____ in that particular performance, but I still probably won't hold it against them unless I'm saying that about them all the time...

There aren't many actors I can think of whose work I 'hate', or I have nothing but bad things to say about them... Mostly just people from the soaps, really...

Sometimes, my negativity about somebody will fade (or are they better now?)... I know Dermot Mulroney is a guy that used to bug me in a bunch of stuff, but he's on Shameless now, and he's not really bothering me at all, he's fine...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm not often accused of being an optimist, but...

This morning's news of Spielberg and Ford (and not Lucas) making a fifth Indiana Jones, to be released 7/19/19 somehow fills me with hope. I did not like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in '08 being the end of the franchise that began with what I'll most frequently call 'my favorite movie', 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One more. That doesn't suck...

Fun to see Ford going from SW to a second Blade Runner to a fifth Indy... Victory lap... (he'll be 77 when this one comes out...)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've still only seen the first Craig Bond, and it's been long enough that I'll want to see it again before seeing the next three.

Haven't seen Taken (any of them), but remember Mom & Dad really liking the first one.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hemsworth wasn't in Jurassic World. Different guy named Chris (Pratt).

I like Bryce Dallas Howard. Being Ron's daughter probably didn't hurt her, no, but she's never worked with him on a movie (outside of being an extra when she was really young...).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked Adam Driver a lot. I didn't feel he was 'hot commodity' stunt casting - this is the first thing that many, many people will have seen him in - he's just a level or two above the unknowns that Ridley, Boyega, and Isaac were at the time they were cast...

I don't know who you mean by Keira (Knightley? She was only in the first prequel, really small role, Portman's handmaiden/disguised double).

I would have liked more Han & Leia together, yeah. For sure. And a Chewie/Leia hug after his death would have been better than the Leia/Rey one we got...

I haven't seen it a second time yet, but (having sat with it awhile now) I'm still pretty positive on TFA... But I do think the next one will be better.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Looking forward to Frances Ha.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Fisher was not made to lose weight (now... she certainly felt a lot of pressure during the filming of the original trilogy, yeah...).

Ford was paid a LOT more than anyone else. True.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ah. You're right... She did say that to Good Housekeeping. Huh. Wonder who did the 'suggesting'... (Empty threat, though... They needed her, regardless of how she's aged..)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
At a high school today... biology and 'science foundations' - they're watching parts of The Martian, which I've been wanting to see, but not with a roomful of high school students and in 40 minute increments (and all four periods are in different starting places... I'm tuning out now because Periods 3 & 4 were over an hour in, but Period 6 is after lunch and only 39 minutes in... I did the first thirty during the first couple periods, so if I watch nine more minutes during lunch...).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Double bill in a theater today... An inadvertent 'Sigourney Weaver cameo' double bill...

Ghostbusters was okay. Maybe could have used a few more big laughs, but I liked the cast. It's no classic, but it didn't suck.

Loved Finding Dory.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Original was original, chemistry between them was great, Moranis was hilarious, Bill Murray was legendary-funny, music was great... Nostalgia, yes, and I was an 11 year-old boy that summer, too, but... It's a special movie. Holds up, and is extremely quotable.

The five cameos of originals were... Okay... I agree, could have been better. Was happy Bill did TWO scenes and interacted with the ladies, thought the quick first bit might have been it. Potts got a couple laughs. Aykroyd's bit was too short. Hudson's was clever, but awfully quick... Weaver's bit seemed like an improv'd outtake, and not just because most of the audience is leaving/has left by the time she appeared...

Yes, some of the parade floats definitely Tim Burtonesque.

Hemsworth really funny.

Deeper into the ending credits, they show a lot more of Hemsworth puppeteering the cops/Feds/crowd dancing... Good choreography by tWitch (from SYTYCD, Step Up, the second Magic Mike movie, frequent Ellen guest...).

Definitely a few weird scene jumps... The transition from the scene with the mayor to the alley where they're testing out the toys was especially awkward - they say something like 'okay, so the mayor said we should___' and no, that's not what we'd just seen...

I do understand Feig's rationale in doing a remake over a set-in-the-same-story-world... That the origin story has more inherent conflicts than a world that's been dealing with ghosts (regularly?) for the last 32 years, but I still think it MIGHT have been more fun to see the same cast IN a follow-up, as members of a 'Ghostbusters franchise'...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The most favorite Star Wars of many is the second (aka fifth), The Empire Strikes Back. It improves on the original.

Agree on Aliens, though the first and second are kinda sorta different genres, so it's cheating (Scott's '79 Alien is a horror movie, Cameron's '86 one is an action film...).

I like The Godfather Part 2 better than 1, but it's really close.

Toy Story 2 and 3 are both fantastic films, but I know you'd never see anything animated...

I like all three parts of Back to the Future a lot, they work well together...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Recent example of an exception to the rule - so far, the second Captain America ('The Winter Soldier') has been my favorite of the 13 Marvel movies (and the Cap trilogy is a lot better than the three Iron Mans, though Stark is more fun a character than Rogers...).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think I'll probably like the new Magificent Seven when I get around to it. May double-bill it with the original, which I haven't seen in a long time, or even triple-bill it with Seven Samurai, which I've never seen but have owned the disc of forever...

I enjoyed Rogue One more than you, tgir, but I'm way less enthusiastic on it than most I see talking about it... agree that the characters weren't fully realized, just types. It was okay, but not great.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked TFA a lot as a new beginning, mystery, sequel, nostalgia blast... it has flaws, but was a fine opening for what is almost sure to be a much, much better Episode 8 (written and directed by Breaking Bad genius director, Rian Johnson).

Rogue One is neat as a prequel - the opening crawl in the first(/fourth) one was

"It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy...."

-- and this is that story (getting the plans). It wasn't exactly a NECESSARY story to be told, but as the first of these 'SW Stories' that will be coming indefinitely, I guess it's a logical one.

A 'Young Han Solo' adventure is next, releasing between 8 & 9.

Mads Mikklesen is cool as the heroine's father, the engineer forced to work for the Empire... I like the clever answer to the age-old question 'Hey, why was the Death Star so freakin' easy to destroy?'

I think it's kinda morally icky to resurrect Peter Cushing to play Tarkin, but... family got paid, and presumably consented, so... I don't know. It's weird.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: