Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Modern Movies; The last 10 years!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:25 AM (12,462 Views)
tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
New(ish) on DVD. Film came out sometime 2010; DVD has been out for a bit, not sure how long. We don't get to the movie rental place very often so I don't really know when it came to dvd. It's on the new release shelves at our local video rental place but things tend to stay on that shelf for a good long time.

Definitely not art and if you blink you'll miss Kiefer and maybe even D'Abarnville who has maybe 2 scenes and a few lines.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Also watched The Switch with Jennier Aniston and Jason Bateman. It was my weekend for light, mindless stuff I guess. Honestly, I only wanted to see it for Bateman, who was really good. I am not much of a fan of Jennier Aniston but Bateman worked well and his scenes with the kid were really good, and believable. The part of the film to watch is the developing relationship between Bateman's character and the kid, Sebastian, played quite well by Thomas Robinson. Premise is silly and insulting on some levels but the relationship between Bateman's character and the kid is realistic and quite touching.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented "A Serious Man" very strange dark movie about a downtorodden Jewish guy that everyone seemed to use as a doormat. I enjoyed it (if that is the right term), I think anyone who is Jewish or is familair with jewish culture should see it.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really liked A Serious Man. My husband hated it--thought it was too slow. I thought it was quietly deadly hilarious, in a very awful way.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Me too.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Man, I really liked "The Next 3 Days" with Russel Crowe. Lots of action and suspense. Only had to suspend belief a little.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finally saw The Hurt Locker over the weekend. I can understand why that movie was so highly rated as it was very immersing.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hurt Locker was very impressive.

Just saw a real loser, "Skyline", very bad Sci Fi.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw Unstoppable. I am a huge Denzel Washington fan which is why I picked this for my Fri. night viewing. Pretty good--some excitement and suspense. Actors were all very good in their roles but the stars were the trains. I know nothing about trains so I cannot comment on how realistic any of the events of the film (although supposedly based, however closely/loosely on real events) reflect reality. Not high art, but pretty good, even if it was a bit slow to start.

One thing that I liked is that it didn't bang you over the head with any of the relationship stuff. It was all there, but played a very secondary role to the task of stopping a train.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
DenzelTGIR, I felt the same way. I didn't know ifjm this really could happen but went along for the ride so to speak. The trains were awesome. I liked all of the action also and that the relationships were secondary. Just a good movie to sit and watch and not have to do a terrible amount of analysis about. I almost always love Denzel.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tourist, ugh, we rented it and could not get through 45 minutes even with the 2 lovely looking stars. A sleeper good one is "Nebel Son", kind of a black comedy but thoughtful and a bit of a hiest thrown in. Hard to explain but surprisingly entertaining.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hubby and I saw Thor today. OMG, that dude is so frickin' hot! I love superhero movies so was not disappointed. There was a lot of humor in it as well which I loved AND Anthony Hopkins as the dad was awesome. And not to mention lots of cool special effects. Not as good as Iron Man though. Saw the trailer for Green Lantern. OMG, Ryan Reynolds! :wub1:

Yes. I'm shallow. And proud of it. :P

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thor is not on my list.

Finally saw King's Speech, what a great movie for sure. Firth deserved the award. Made me think I need to go back and relearn some history.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK, so we got Black Swan. Amazing performance, but I was confused about the last 1/2 hour or so. What happened? How did she end up stabbing herself? Was this stress from getting the job or did she flip from the drug? Did the lesbian sex really occur?

I don't like it when movies go over into the fantasy area and you don't know what is what.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Her mother really messed her up. And then the pressure of the job...

I was a little confused by the blood appearing if -reality- she didn't have a knife with which to stab herself... she couldn't have danced as much of the performance as she did if she had a big open wound (that we're just not seeing...)

No, much of what we saw towards the end wasn't 'real'...

I liked the movie.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked it very much but really was confused at the ending. Was she really injured?

Yes, the mother was a real trip wasn't she? Great acting all around. I never liked Portman much but have to say, she dserved the Oscar for this one.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
May 20 2011, 01:42 PM
I liked it very much but really was confused at the ending. Was she really injured?
She died at the end of Black Swan. The poor kid was totally messed up ... probably sever bi-polar (personality/split-personality disorder) along with anorexic.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Having just seen Swan, friends told us about a 94 movie with Porter who was about 12 at the time, "Leon The Professional". This was really good, the kid's family was killed and this hit man took her in. I recc it for sure. Kind of stylish, decent plot good acting.

Also recc "Taking Chance", sad movie but true about returning the remains of a soldier killed in action. Kevin bacon stars and directed. Really informing and heart wrenching but should be seen by everyone. Keep a hankie handy.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, The Professional (original US title, 'Leon' elsewhere, and then both for a dvd re-release/re-edit) is a great, great movie, and was Portman's debut.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw I Am Number Four last nite OnDemand. I liked it a lot. I think it's much better than the reviews suggest. Lots of wit and humor (a la Buffy, thanks to Marti Noxon), a nice scifi plot, and some excellent action sequences.

It never hurts to have a cute dog, imo.

And Timothy Olyphant in the Obi-wan mentor role sealed the deal.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I will watch Olyphant in anything.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
May 28 2011, 12:11 PM
Saw I Am Number Four last nite OnDemand. I liked it a lot. I think it's much better than the reviews suggest. Lots of wit and humor (a la Buffy, thanks to Marti Noxon), a nice scifi plot, and some excellent action sequences.

It never hurts to have a cute dog, imo.

And Timothy Olyphant in the Obi-wan mentor role sealed the deal.
I almost rented that tonight on On Demand but wasn't sure. Thanks for the good review, I'll probably check it out tomorrow night!

We finally saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie today. Love me some Captain Jack. But I found myself missing Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley's characters and their sweet little romance. Penelope Cruz wasn't bad. Usually she annoys me to no end for some reason but she was tolerable in this. Johnny Depp is ageless. I think he really DID find the Fountain of Youth.....in real life!

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just saw "An Education" on netflix, with Carey Mulligan, and small parts for Emma Thompson, Alfred Molina and Olivia Williams and Ellie Kendrick (recently on the recent revival of Upstairs/Downstairs).

Recommended for those of us with daughters and those of us who once were girls.

Very bright and promising only daughter of a 1962 suburban London family whose father is ambitious for her to go to Oxford---as well she should do. By chance she meets an older man who seduces the entire family and nearly costs Jenny her entire future. Could have been much more sordid, but it wasn't really. Quite a cautionary tale about how and why we sometimes allow others to lead us away from what we know is right and how that gives us--and other people--permission to do what we know is wrong. It all comes out in the end, but Jenny does indeed get an education.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cheryl
May 29 2011, 09:51 PM
We finally saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie today. Love me some Captain Jack. But I found myself missing Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley's characters and their sweet little romance. Penelope Cruz wasn't bad. Usually she annoys me to no end for some reason but she was tolerable in this. Johnny Depp is ageless. I think he really DID find the Fountain of Youth.....in real life!
KMI, thanks for the review. I think we will catch it On Demand too.

Cheryl, I had NO idea Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley weren't in the latest movie. I'm not a fan of Penelope Cruz but I'm sure I'll love the movie because MY Johnny is in it! :P

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rented the fighter. I did not like it a lot even though I do think it was a very good movie with greeat acting. i guess i just hate boxing, and the family was so painfully low class that it was ruined for me. I was ready to murder the mother and brother by mid through it.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir
May 29 2011, 11:34 PM
Just saw "An Education" on netflix, with Carey Mulligan, and small parts for Emma Thompson, Alfred Molina and Olivia Williams and Ellie Kendrick (recently on the recent revival of Upstairs/Downstairs).

Recommended for those of us with daughters and those of us who once were girls.

Very bright and promising only daughter of a 1962 suburban London family whose father is ambitious for her to go to Oxford---as well she should do. By chance she meets an older man who seduces the entire family and nearly costs Jenny her entire future. Could have been much more sordid, but it wasn't really. Quite a cautionary tale about how and why we sometimes allow others to lead us away from what we know is right and how that gives us--and other people--permission to do what we know is wrong. It all comes out in the end, but Jenny does indeed get an education.
Saw this on Starz last night. Very very good. Lots in common (almost an homage?) with The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

Comments for tgir...spoilery so skip until YOU watch it too....

I really really liked David. He wasn't nearly as creepy as he could have been, as you said. I would have liked if her realization was prompted by something other than the cliche of find out he was married. Despite knowing David was the wrong path for her, I totally "got" why she was so dissatisfied with the life she'd been living, the future planned out by her dad. David had some valid things to "say" about the way to live life.

LOVED the C.S. Lewis plot point...except I expected the reveal would be dad learning that he almost never signed anything with Clive except contracts. He used "Jack" all his life, since he was two.

I also thought the ending was rushed. I'd like to have seen more of the teacher.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Spoilerish response to KMI above

SPOILER alert:

SKIP

SKIP

Agree re: David UNTIL: you figure out he makes his living stealing from people who are vulnerable and also by exploiting the bigotry of people who probably don't deserve my sympathy but were also probably living close to the margin. Cynical exploitation of race....I didn't like him after that. And was surprised that Jenny didn't stick by her guns when she figured out he and his friend stole.

What I liked best was when she was trying to get her father to tell her a good reason not to become engaged to David. As it turns out, her dad wasn't interested in her intellectual talents but merely in securing a good economic future for her. I am sure it never occured to him to even consider whether his daughter might not deserve to be happy and secure in her own right. I was disappointed that Jenny didn't stand up for herself more, didn't see the value herself in furthering her education. But then she had only school teachers as role models for educated women.

Still: I remember in the '70's, when my father asked me what I wanted to do. I was a very good student, with an interest in science. I told him I planned to go to medical school. My father finished high school over the objections of his own father who had to quit school at 16 to support his widowed mother and younger siblings. He wanted my dad to get out of school as soon as he could legally do so at 16 because he needed the help on the farm. My dad finished hs half as a way of spiting his father. University was never in the picture for my father, although he would have made an excellent architect. My father was astonished at my ambition, although we both knew it was within reach for me, intellectually speaking. What he said to me was something along the lines of 'but what did I think I would do when it was time to get married and have children,' as he knew I would some day. Because obviously, I would drop all of that to be a wife and mother and that would just be a waste of a lot of education. If he had been astonished at my ambition, I was astonished to realize that perhaps he hadn't believed, deep down, what he always told me and my sisters: that we could be anything we wanted to be. BTW, there was never a point after I was about 9 or ten and my youngest sister was toddling around that I did not realize my father would not have been so enlightened as to encourage his daughters to hunt, fish, climb trees and otherwise be adventurous in our play, do home repairs and yard work and study math and science if we had had a brother.

I would have liked the mother to have stood up for her daughter more, although clearly she was much more aware of the sexual nature of the relationship between her daughter and her much older suiter. Also almost laughed aloud when Jenny wondered what all the fuss was after she lost her virginity: huge telling statement re: David.

Yes! re: Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I saw that in the theater when I was 13. I was with a friend and I remember it was the first time I ever saw a woman's breasts in a movie (much more innocent times). I gasped out loud, and my friend dug her elbow into my ribs and shushed me. She was much more sophisticated and didn't want me to embarrass her. But really, I was just shocked. It seemed to me that in the scene before, the girl who was posing (can't remember her name right now) was just a little girl. I was shocked to see how big her breasts were (I was virtually flat chested until and then again after my pregnancies).

Loved the movie and have become more and more a fan of Carey Mulligan.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
More spoilery for An Education...

ITA David was a jerk. But I liked that the movie showed enough to make him gray, to show what attracted Jenny.

tgir, my dad didn't even finish 10th grade as he was taking care of his mom by then, and turned down the chance to abandon her (an alcoholic of the worse, barfly type in the depression) and live with his cousins, finish high school and even, gasp, go to college as two of his four cousins did. Even today, my uncle-cousins tell me what a bright future my dad had. It humbles me to realize what hard choices people make in life. My dad was sad he couldn't "give" us an easy life, but he encouraged us in so many ways. Then again, he was a lot like Archie Bunker in a lot of ways....def. a product of his times. he would have been suspicious of David from Day One. lol

I agree abt Carey Mulligan. Good acting all around.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rented "Hereafter". what a snooze. Kept waiting for something to happen. Nothing did.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Watched Percy Jackson with 5th grader I was babysitting.

The daddy issues (an actual line in the movie) reminded me of GL. lolol Percy as Philip???

I guess for a kid's action adventure movie it was okay. The kid loved it, even though he'd seen it several times already. Lots of my students love the books. Don't know if they are good, or better.

It was fun seeing Sean Bean as Zeus, looking all kingly and clean and powerful, given where I saw him last week in Game of Thrones. And I missed the early credits (or have some movies entirely done away with them as TV shows have eliminated theme songs) and spent part of the movie thinking, "Who is that wheelchair teacher dude/centaur?" (Pierce Brosnan w/beard) and thinking, "woah, Melina K. looks amazing as Athena."

There were some other "big names" in small roles, which was fun.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply