Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Modern Movies; The last 10 years!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:25 AM (12,453 Views)
tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We saw Wonder Woman last night and enjoyed it more than most of the comic book movies. Gal Godot was well cast. I'm beginning to be a fan. Can't say much about how much or how well it fits with the canon, but it was a good representative of its genre. It was particularly nice to see a movie with a strong female lead character. My only real critique is that after the island, her companions were all male. Would like to mention what a delight Lucy Davis was as Etta Candy. Also lovely to see Robin Wright. And the early scenes which were all female and very heavy action did not lack one iota for not having men.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks tgir - I've seen a lot of discussion about the movie's feminist themes and whether some choices were "artistic" or incidental or deliberate or reflecting the time period... or unintentionally revealing today's sexism. Most reviews have been very favorable.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
There were very pointed comments with a distinct and deliberate feminist slant. Also, I was somewhat inaccurate: Etta Candy was after the island and while not a companion, she was there as a secretary (wft? what spy had a secretary in WWI??)/girl Friday but was not really that much of a pushover. One of the villains was female, but not the Big Bad. Of course her face was deformed...

We went on Tuesday $5 night at the local movie theater. There are still some good things about living in small towns.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We weren't at a cure for wellness which was a very strange movie and a very long one at two and a half hours. It was about a castle type Resort in the Alps which very wealthy people went to get better except they didn't get better. It was kind of a cross between horror and sci-fi and it was really strange but I still liked it and was glad we watched it. It got mixed reviews. Gate you might like it. The two main characters the young people were very unattractive. I had never seen this girl Mia goth before. I guess she is dating shiah Lebouf I barely know who he is. I was just looking her up because she was very strange looking. And the meal was not a looker either but I think the role called for this type of person.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Obviously I meant that the male lead was not a looker either.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Re: Shia LaBeouf: You are not missing anything at all Krystal. Not a damn thing.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
TGIR :)
I have never really fall at celebrities until I see them a number of times and I am impressed with their acting. Like I like Chris Pine because of his work with Star Trek and I've seen him in a few other things where I feel he's proved he's more than just a good looking male specimen. There's another Chris, I don't even recall his last name oh yeah it's Hemsworth. He acts like a piece of 2x4.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
This thread maybe should be renamed Modern Movies - things from the 21st century ;)

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Like I said, Krystal: not a damn thing. I do like Chris Pratt, who is a nice piece of beefcake but also does a fine job with the Guardians movies and Jurrasic Park. He has a comedic flair, giving you the impression he doesn't take himself very seriously or rather that his characters don't. In a way, kind of like James Garner, back in the day. Not looks wise but that sort of actor who is good at giving the impression that he's a bit of a fuck up/heart of gold/wouldn't hurt a fly but trips himself up pretty regularly. He's appealing and quite....muscular.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented the lost city of Z and it was a big waste of two and a half hours. Charlie Hunan was terrible in it and he didn't even get undressed. There was very little action and in general it was just very dull.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jul 14 2017, 01:00 PM
and he didn't even get undressed.
:fall:

Krystal that made me laugh. I needed a good chuckle.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented a movie called life with Jake Gyllenhaal and some other good cast members. It was sci-fi and a little too much of a copy of alien but I still enjoyed it.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The book The Lost City of Z was actually really interesting due to the subject matter, but kind of dry if you aren't into that. Too bad..

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We went to see The Big Sick, which was low key fun. I can see why it isn't a block buster, but not for lack of story or acting. Perhaps director?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My husband was reading the lost city of Z but he sort of thought it was dragging on too much he might finish it but a little of the time.

I broke down a bunch of movies that are on Netflix and we tried something called the invitation which didn't gross a lot of money there were sort of second-rate actors in there including Tammy Blanchard formerly of GL of course. It was a good movie in a very weird way though it kind of strong you out having a feeling that there was something really wrong with this group of people but it wasn't until the last 10 or 15 minutes that things really blew up. It's sort of a psychological drama, and probably deserve to be seen by more people than it was

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented alien Covenant. I was sort of disappointed. I liked it better than Prometheus but not nearly as much as the Alien movies or even the movie I reviewed a few weeks ago called life. They start off with the stupidest concept that they would land on a planet that they never knew or tested and they would March right down there without any biohazard suits. Even though it looked like Earth and appeared to have water how in God's name would you know what kind of bacteria and virus were in that world. Look at what smallpox did to the Indians. I was sort of disappointed suits. Even though it looks like her than appear to have water how in Gods name would you know what kind of bacteria in virus were in that world. Look at what smallpox did to the native americans. I also never got attached to the cast and didn't care if they survived or not
Edited by Krystal, Aug 16 2017, 08:01 PM.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We went to see Dunkirk, although war movies are not my thing. Pretty good, good cast. Did not get the overwhelming feeling of the sheer numbers of men, but did avoid job of focussingon small number of characters, if that makes sense.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I forgot to mention that we had rented hacksaw Ridge. I like it more than I thought I would it was pretty gory but there was a lot of story that made it more palatable. On the other hand I had seen the Revenant and hated it because it just seems like Gore for 2 hours to me. We will see Dunkirk one of these days.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
FWIW, Dunkirk is a big screen kind of movie.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We finally rented Wonder Woman and I was glad we saw it at home because I was able to buy shoes on Zappos app on my phone while I was watching the movie. I don't really care for comic book our cartoon based movies so I sort of expected this. It was okay in that it was based on Greek mythology which I used to love in fact I used to read the stories in Latin seriously I had four years of it but don't ask me to tell you what a freaking word is now. However I still remember how lot of them with ology. So I like the beginning of the show.

But I don't really care for the special effects were people are flying around in the air and the island and much of the other special effects look super phoney and computer-generated to me.

I thought Gal Gadot was pretty good in the role, and Chris Pine is probably the only young actor I actually like I'm like Chris Hemsworth and many of the other ones. So he was fine too. But like I said I was glad I could shoe shop while I was watching the show because two and a half hours of that was about 2 hours too many.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal, I had to laugh at your shoe shopping while watching Wonder Woman. I can't disagree with your assessment of the movie but I will say that I always go into this genre of film with my expectations firmly fixed on what kind of movie it is and what to expect. In that regard, Wonder Woman really exceeded my expectations. And I will just come out and say that it was largely boosted (for me) by all of the very strong women--acting very strong. Also Wonder Woman's lines in the modern (aka WWII) days. So often women are just victims or wall paper or even worse, paper laid down for puppy accidents in films (figuratively speaking, of course). If you haven't yet done so, I strongly suggest you watch Hidden Figures. Excellent performances and deep, deep, deep admiration for the women portrayed. They managed to do tremendous, groundbreaking work, period. And to do it while black, female, married with children and in one case, as a single parent! Talk about super heroes!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I did see hidden figures and it was great. The acting was great in the story was great. And just shows you these women really never got credit for what they did. That's the kind of role model I would want for my teenage girl not a scantily clad Amazonian woman flying in the air and jumping off cliffs. However I don't disagree with your strong women thing in the Wonder Woman show and I probably watched more of the beginning with Robin Wright and the other Amazon Women and started shoe shopping when the guys came on board. :-)

I wish there were more movies like hidden figures. I also did not go into Wonder Woman thinking I would love it and I agree with you it was better than many of the films of its genre but then I don't see very many films of that genre. I am so fortunate to have a husband that enjoys the same kind of movies that I do but he says he is fortunate to have a wife that hates actually loathes chick flicks and romantic comedies. So there you go.

We haven't found much to rent lately but there are some new TV shows so that's okay but I will rent Dunkirk when it is available.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Let me know what you think about Dunkirk. We went to see that in the theater and I think that was a good choice. It's a big screen kind of movie. I thought the acting was superb. Beyond that, I'll wait until you see it.

Sometimes I really like chick flicks and sometimes...not. I like a fair number of period pieces which I think are unfairly characterized as 'chick flics.' Sometimes, I like something just because I like the actors or because I am willing/happy to take it for what it is: good (sometimes a bit raunchy) fun. I liked Bridesmaids although I got married in a courthouse and went to work afterwards, and I liked Bad Moms, too. Unexpectedly, I liked Train Wreck, but probably not enough to watch again. I've enjoyed some good female friend type movies: Beaches (original only and I know far too sentimental for you but Bette Midler!) and First Wives Club (again: Bette Midler) and a few others. I find that I've really grown quite tired of movies where women are victims or are raped or are whores or villainesses. I like films about women's lives.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: