Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Modern Movies; The last 10 years!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:25 AM (13,610 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
By the way did you like passengers? I don't know anyone else who has seen it. I like the genre but like I said I don't care for either lead. I know you said it was okay but in what way?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think I'll probably like the new Magificent Seven when I get around to it. May double-bill it with the original, which I haven't seen in a long time, or even triple-bill it with Seven Samurai, which I've never seen but have owned the disc of forever...

I enjoyed Rogue One more than you, tgir, but I'm way less enthusiastic on it than most I see talking about it... agree that the characters weren't fully realized, just types. It was okay, but not great.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sounds like I might as well skip Rogue One. I barely made it through The Force Awakens, and I know people loved that one.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked TFA a lot as a new beginning, mystery, sequel, nostalgia blast... it has flaws, but was a fine opening for what is almost sure to be a much, much better Episode 8 (written and directed by Breaking Bad genius director, Rian Johnson).

Rogue One is neat as a prequel - the opening crawl in the first(/fourth) one was

"It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy...."

-- and this is that story (getting the plans). It wasn't exactly a NECESSARY story to be told, but as the first of these 'SW Stories' that will be coming indefinitely, I guess it's a logical one.

A 'Young Han Solo' adventure is next, releasing between 8 & 9.

Mads Mikklesen is cool as the heroine's father, the engineer forced to work for the Empire... I like the clever answer to the age-old question 'Hey, why was the Death Star so freakin' easy to destroy?'

I think it's kinda morally icky to resurrect Peter Cushing to play Tarkin, but... family got paid, and presumably consented, so... I don't know. It's weird.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Dec 30 2016, 01:35 PM
By the way did you like passengers? I don't know anyone else who has seen it. I like the genre but like I said I don't care for either lead. I know you said it was okay but in what way?
I think it is an interesting premise: One of a large number of colonists on a 120 year journey in suspended animation awakens 30 years into the journey to a new planet they are all set to colonize. That's Chris Pratt, who is reasonably cast as someone with mechanical background. We see the ship moving through space, colliding with a largish (not as big as the ship but big) object and that does damage to the ship. One of the consequences is that Pratt is awakened early from his pod. Because of the process of awakening, with holographic greeters who guide him through the steps/his ship sleeping quarters, etc., he doesn't initially realize that he's the only one awake. It's plausible that his waking up happens this way. But the next morning/sleep cycle, he does realize he shouldn't be awake, realizes it's 90 years until he reaches his destination and he's all alone. He can access food from the cafeteria, there's Sheen as an android bartender who keeps him company a bit but he's lonely. He can access all sorts of luxury entertainment but despite being able to get into some of the ship's systems, there is no way for him to contact earth (it will take 18 years for a message to reach earth and presumably that long to come back. Plus the ship system will charge him.) He's on his own. Eventually, he gets to be a bit of a mess and starts looking at sleeping passengers and is taken with Jennifer Lawrence. He can access her bio info and likes her. He debates with himself and the android over a period of days, maybe weeks and finally decides to waken her. He doesn't tell her it's deliberate, although he plans to, later.

Of course they develop a relationship,
Spoiler: click to toggle

It isn't ....bad, but it seems like many missed opportunities for more interesting. Even many very wasted moments as far as SFX go.

I like Pratt fine and I like Lawrence very much (if you haven't seen it, see Winter's Bone, which is excellent and almost as good as the book). Sheen was great actually and I dislike him in Masters of Sex (dislike character. Cannot understand what Libby or anyone sees in him. Blech). Pratt and Lawrence work well enough together but no off the wall chemistry. Plausible enough. There's some humor, some drama. But mostly missed opportunities.
Edited by tgir, Dec 30 2016, 11:37 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I saw Lawrence in Winter's Bone and I thought she was very good but I haven't liked her in anything since and I thought she was overly height not that great looking and not that great talented. I think she's been miscast in a number of things including and I can't remember the name the show about the seventies but I don't like her I don't like her Persona and I don't think he's a great actor either

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here's what I hate about Jennifer Lawrence I feel she was shoved down my throat and that's not her fault but it seems there is an actor usually female that is in absolutely everything even though they're miscast in a number of things. She has had way too many parts in way too many movies that she was not right for in my opinion. Another example of that is Jennifer Chastain who was in absolutely everything and now I haven't seen her that much although I think she has settled into some good rolls. Another one is Margot Robbie who was horribly miscast in focus with Will Smith who is twice her age. So we have this young blond woman as a romantic partner to this middle-aged black guy even though Will Smith looks pretty good it was still jarring to me and got on my nerves. So to some degree that's not Jennifer Lawrence or any of these other women's Faults, that they get labeled as an actress that has to be an absolutely everything current even though the roles are not suitable for them or at least someone else could do a much better job. I thought her winning an Academy Award that is Jennifer Lawrence was totally absurd.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
While I'm on a rant here's the thing about Focus which was a terrible movie anyhow. I'm sure Will Smith had something to say about his co-star and couldn't he have chosen a slightly older African-American woman or at least somebody with mixed heritage and why does he have to choose a blonde woman half his age? What is that all about. Another one is Tom Cruise who I can't stand under any circumstances but here you have him never ever ever playing against a woman his own age but a woman half his age and I think that's because these guys are delusional that if they have such a younger partner in a movie that we will perceive them as being younger. But God forbid a mature female should have a younger actor as a partner on any movie. They get to have more mature roles as one would say and are lucky if they get any.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree that a lot of actors and actresses are over-used in films. I think it either happens more with actresses or we just notice it more as they have so many fewer roles than do male actors. I thought Lawrence was being cast in too many films, too. I like her in them, but what's wrong with using an actress who is of the appropriate age in films? That was true in Silver Linings Playbook. Also in Joy. I thought she was extremely good in both but why not cast someone who is closer to the age of the character instead of a young actress?

I don't mind a mixed race couple at all but I do mind seeing only young women with a certain look--preferably blonde! cast against middle aged actors. And truly there are very very few instances of women of color being cast as romantic leads.

Hollywood still has a lot of sexism, a lot of ageism, and plenty of racism. Films with mostly female casts are 'chic flicks' but it is extremely common to see all male casts or virtually all male casts and those films are not called dick flicks. Not many Hispanic, Asian or black actors in starring roles still. Much less romantic leads. I cannot think of the last time a black woman was cast as a lead in any film that was not considered a chick flick. Or a 'black' film.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm with the tgir men - the Seven Samurai all the way. :P I'm a big Kurosawa fan, and give kids extra credit of they watch some of his films. (part of my US History/World connections efforts)

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am in agreement that I have disliked Jennifer Lawrence in most movies, except for Winter's Bone...where she was excellent. I agree she is not an exceptional actress and has often been miscast..
Edited by Marg, Jan 2 2017, 01:15 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Had The Misfortune of watching The Intern well it was actually not totally watch but it was on during dinner this weekend and I was fussing around the kitchen. I frankly don't understand Robert De Niro who has to have much money by not taking such insipid rolls. The movie absolutely made me gag. And it makes me wonder if De Niro has lost his mind taking such a stupid stupid part. When capable actors tables like this I wonder who gave them such bad advice.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't hate The Intern, which I watched solely for DeNiro. Mostly, it is a trivial film, as sadly, most are. I thought it was a small nod to what the younger generation still has to learn from the older generation.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have to learn not to make terrible films and De Niro certainly wasn't holding an example in this one. Ugh ugh ugh

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented Deepwater Horizon and I liked it a lot. Even though you knew the story I kept you on the edge of your seat. There was plenty of action and before the action started it really educated you as to what these rigs do and I really thought that was a good thing. This is a movie you could take almost anybody to.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jason Bourne, why do I keep getting these movies? I guess I forget how bad they are. 2 hours of nothing but car chases and him running again minimal plot pretty bad.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I feel like the only one who ever rent movies here but anyhow we rented the accountant last and I really liked it. It had a lot of action but it actually had a plot and a good one at that. It was slightly over two hours long but it did not seem like it need edited it really I was perfect. And the co star was the guy who was killed off originally from The Walking Dead I think his name is Bergdahl in any case he was very good this was the best role I had ever seen him in

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw Hidden Figures --very very good film. Deserves all the hype and attention and awards. Very strong female leads, exciting, compelling stories not generally told. KMInfinity would be especially interested, I think.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Has anyone seen La La Land? What did you think? Is the controversy over A Dog's Purpose keeping anyone away from seeing that? Both are playing locally--I'm a little surprised about La La Land but not A Dog's Purpose.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
I had no plans to see A Dogs Purpose in the theater. I cant do sad movies in a theater and I know for sure I would cry on this one. I will probably still watch it at some point but the controversy has dampened my view on it for sure. I'm not at the point of a boycott or any of that but the video does look bad. I may read the book first now.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't really like The Accountant as much as I had thought I would. I didn't care for Affleck's performance as someone with Asperger's. It just didn't....track well. I think they took the wrong direction with that aspect of the story.

Liked Deep Water Horizon very much. Hubby rented a bunch of movies last night including X-Men Apocalypse, which was well done, considering the genre, although it did jump around quite a bit re: time line which bothered hubby much more than me. I was bothered by.. the implausibility of the science. I know I know I know. And WTF was Rose Byrne doing in that film? Her character served zero purpose except to accidentally set the events leading to the apocalypse in motion and also inexplicably being the love interest of Xavier, I guess to prove he is a straight man who is not a pervert? Who erased all her memories. What a self righteous dick. And who had a daughter but lost her marriage because having a marriage and a demanding career is difficult....but raising a kid on your own while juggling a demanding career is so much easier. Although we didn't see her kid so maybe the kid is with the dad? Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. It DID leave me curious about how the alliance between some of the characters falls apart. No, I am not at all familiar with the canon. I gave up comic books when they bumped the price up to $0.15.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I DID go see A Dog's Purpose. It was really good and definitely a tear jerker although I will say that some of that was undercut by the general theme of the movie. Some parts were more successful than others and I could pick it to death but for the most part, it was pretty good.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not much movie action here. Has anybody seen passengers? I like sci-fi but then it looks like it's a lot of Jennifer Lawrence and I can't stand her.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked Passengers well enough. There are flaws in terms of science and plot and holes in the plot but overall, I'd give it a B+. Some cool sfx but more missed opportunities for cool sfx, imo.

If you really dislike Jennifer Lawrence, you can skip it with a clear consciences.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented Patriots Day and it was okay but not amazing. They spent minimal time on the actual explosion and more on what happened afterwards. It was overly long it needed editing.

Also rented nocturnal animals. This was really a strange film I liked it but some people wouldn't. It was a really good cast. The plot was a woman who was quite successful was reading a book sent to her by her ex-husband. So as you are reading the book you see the plot of the book which was quite violent and involved a rape and murder which bothered me somewhat. As The Woman (amy adams) read the book their War flashbacks about her marriage with the author who was her first husband. It was rather well Laird and a complex movie won't be to everyone's taste.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finally saw Imitation Game. Very good, even if I'm not a Cumberbatch fan. As usual with these fic-docs, I gotta do research now. :P

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
So yesterday they had a first time Democratic meeting in the town. I don't know how they got the mailing list but they were supposed to be in this rather small restaurant with a nice patio. We went early and the parking lot was already totally jammed and you could hardly move in the restaurant. The restaurant was as big as let's say at Denny's Maybe to give you some perspective. Well they will passing petitions around and everybody was signing up for all kinds of things. They were handing out the sticks with half of Sean Spicer's head peeking through so you could put them in a bush or whatever and they ran out of them because everybody wanted them. Everybody is energized by the investigations. But I felt really good about finding so many Democrats in this otherwise conservative town. I think more people are moving here from the Midwest in particular Chicago and that really helps water down the bigotry.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We saw Guardians of the Galaxy II and really enjoyed it. Did not see it as a sophomore slump so much as chapter 2. Please note I have read almost no comics, ever and so my expectations will never be at war with my knowledge of a character's universe/history. Also please note: I don't see Guardians as anything to take even a little seriously. We just go for the good times.

Also saw The Zookeeper's Wife, which we really liked. I haven't read the book yet but Matt has so he was aware of some dramatic license/differences.

Krystal, glad you are finding some of your people. Nice to see a proliferation of Democrats because lord knows, we've seen an explosion of the right wingers.
Edited by tgir, May 22 2017, 12:50 PM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Anyone see Wonder Woman yet?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
If I ever went to theaters I would see the new alien movie for sure. But as usual I'll just wait for it to show up at Redbox or on demand or whatever.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply