Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Modern Movies; The last 10 years!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:25 AM (13,449 Views)
tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot with Tina Fey. Despite the promo clips, this was not a silly slapstick movie. Yes, it was told with some wry humor but it was not a comedy nor was it trite or silly. Not what I expected. Much better.

Good film about being a journalist in Afghanistan in the early 2000's. So plenty of rough stuff, but not as...not all heroic war film either. But because it was promoted (in my market, anyway) as a comedy and it wasn't really a comedy, and because it wasn't all: Men are such heroic warriors, I can see why this wasn't a huge box office hit. But worth seeing.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for all the movie rec's - gonna try to see some OnDemand...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah I might watch that fey movie, I wouldn't watch it if it was just your slapstick

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay so we rented it and it was much better than I would have thought. However I thought they really underplayed the tragic consequences of this unnecessary War. They showed very little real Gore or tragedy. Still I guess it was a Tina Fey movie and supposed to be sort of wry, and I did that well enough.

On the real world note Obama is leaving more troops in the Middle East then he thought he would have to. This is an unending shitstorm which in my opinion was completely due to George Bush's ignorance regarding the imaginary weapons of mass destruction which his vice president Satan number 1 fed to him. The horrifying thing is what could happen if Satan number 2 as in the bloviator Trump got his fingers on the nuclear button and any kinds of Defense contracts at all.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I can't remember if anybody posted about Concussion. It's a really good film. Will Smith is wonderful--and amazing how he transformed his face and his body language for the role. He's still recognizable as Will Smith but you are watching the character and not Will Smith. I think it's an important topic and extremely controversial--for anyone who doesn't know anything at all about medicine or human anatomy and who loves loves loves football and doesn't care what it is doing to the brains of young boys and men. If you know anything about brains or anatomy or care about people's minds, then there is no controversy. American football is simply wrong. It is morally outrageous to think that you can pay someone enough money to do that to their brains, unknowingly--and make an obscene profit from it. But there is indeed an entire industry built upon just that premise.

Will Smith truly should have won an award for this film.
Edited by tgir, Jul 15 2016, 09:42 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just noticed this post and you are 100% right. I thought he did an outstanding job he was almost not recognizable in his mannerisms Etc. I also enjoy stories that show Pittsburgh and it did a very good job of showing the city but I would have enjoyed the movie regardless. I thought it brought forth some very important facts that I hope a lot of people took into consideration.

Last night we rented triple 9. It had a pretty good cast including Casey Affleck Aaron Paul and Norman Reedus. I doubt anyone here except maybe tax would like it there was a fair amount of bloodshed but it was actually a better place than I thought it would have. It was about some dirty cops being forced to pull some Heist by the Russian mob in New York City.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
haven't seen Concussion but it is on my list. It was big in Pittsburgh...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, I thought of you and Krystal while I watched.

Note: I liked it more than Matt, partly because he's definitely not a medical person and can't take blood stuff. And partly, he used to play football in high school (not for long--he broke his collar bone and his arm fairly close together in time and that ended his career. No big loss and I'm very grateful. ) So, it might be tough for a real football fan. Matt's not much of a(n American) football fan. Now, soccer....that's something else.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Double bill in a theater today... An inadvertent 'Sigourney Weaver cameo' double bill...

Ghostbusters was okay. Maybe could have used a few more big laughs, but I liked the cast. It's no classic, but it didn't suck.

Loved Finding Dory.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I kind of felt the same way about Ghostbusters. I don't think it was as good as the original because the original was, well, original. There also may be some nostalgia mixed up in that. I remember going to see the original just because we needed a night out and a sitter was free and it turned out to be a real hoot of a movie. I never saw it as anything remotely like a thriller. It was a vehicle for a couple of former SNL cast members, plus a couple more actors. Sigourney Weaver was a bonus. I thought the premise was original and funny. But part of the 'fun' was that it was much better than I anticipated it being.

This re-boot: I think the storytelling was...lackluster and relied very heavily on the audience knowing the original plot. I think they tried too hard and not entirely successfully to pay homage to the original and instead of former cast members appearances being fun surprises, they were...expected, although I must say that Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson were better than Bill Murray, whose work I've quite liked. He's good at playing pretty worthless characters and making you care a bit about them despite the fact that they are mostly lousy human beings. Also, we got to see the StayPuff Marshmallow Man who was far better than any of the 'original' cartoon balloons, which looked as though they came straight from Tim Burton's clone's workshop. The fun of the StayPuff Marshmallow Man was the incongruence of the character: a sweet, beloved children's icon, called forth specifically because he was sweet and a beloved childhood icon but really being the embodiment of the Big Bad. Which is why he worked. The parade balloon characters in the re-boot were just...menacing and not very good. No humor behind them, no surprise. It was more a: the original had parade balloon-like character so we have to do it , too. Bleh.

Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig were ok; mostly straight characters. Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon were stellar. Simply stellar. Especially McKinnon. They way out-shown the bigger names. Then, Chris Hemsworth far outshone his stupid stupid stupid role. Played it fully committed, with ample good humor.

It was better in some ways that McCarthy and Wiig's --and McKinnon's--were all genuine about their belief in their science and sincere in its pursuit. It was funny/sad/stupid/not entirely accurate that a female physicist was going to be denied tenure because her recommendation from Columbia wasn't good enough (that's not how tenure works, plus: Columbia) but obviously just a plot point/cheap ruse to put Wiig in touch with McCarthy again.

Although no small part of the charm of the original was the fact that Murray's character did NOT believe in any of the 'science.' It was all a hoax to extract grant money. Part of the charm/humor was in seeing a cynic converted to a believer--and still remaining a cynic about absolutely everything else.

It felt as though they cut out a scene at the end when Hemsworth's character had an entire crowd in thrall, waiting to do a flash mob scene. I missed that scene! It would have done much to restore the charm and humor of the original.

Except for Jones and McKinnon, I thought it was just a re-make, not a re-boot, not a sequel or prequel. They elevated it to a slightly less good version of the original.

And I really, really, really want to see Kristen Wiig in something where she doesn't look all sad and depressed all of the time.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Original was original, chemistry between them was great, Moranis was hilarious, Bill Murray was legendary-funny, music was great... Nostalgia, yes, and I was an 11 year-old boy that summer, too, but... It's a special movie. Holds up, and is extremely quotable.

The five cameos of originals were... Okay... I agree, could have been better. Was happy Bill did TWO scenes and interacted with the ladies, thought the quick first bit might have been it. Potts got a couple laughs. Aykroyd's bit was too short. Hudson's was clever, but awfully quick... Weaver's bit seemed like an improv'd outtake, and not just because most of the audience is leaving/has left by the time she appeared...

Yes, some of the parade floats definitely Tim Burtonesque.

Hemsworth really funny.

Deeper into the ending credits, they show a lot more of Hemsworth puppeteering the cops/Feds/crowd dancing... Good choreography by tWitch (from SYTYCD, Step Up, the second Magic Mike movie, frequent Ellen guest...).

Definitely a few weird scene jumps... The transition from the scene with the mayor to the alley where they're testing out the toys was especially awkward - they say something like 'okay, so the mayor said we should___' and no, that's not what we'd just seen...

I do understand Feig's rationale in doing a remake over a set-in-the-same-story-world... That the origin story has more inherent conflicts than a world that's been dealing with ghosts (regularly?) for the last 32 years, but I still think it MIGHT have been more fun to see the same cast IN a follow-up, as members of a 'Ghostbusters franchise'...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The original was fine but I really didn't get all excited about it. I will see this one after it comes out on DVD. I don't think there's ever been a sequel that was as good as the original other than aliens. I was very disappointed in the last Star Wars movie in fact I've been disappointed in all of them other than the original.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The most favorite Star Wars of many is the second (aka fifth), The Empire Strikes Back. It improves on the original.

Agree on Aliens, though the first and second are kinda sorta different genres, so it's cheating (Scott's '79 Alien is a horror movie, Cameron's '86 one is an action film...).

I like The Godfather Part 2 better than 1, but it's really close.

Toy Story 2 and 3 are both fantastic films, but I know you'd never see anything animated...

I like all three parts of Back to the Future a lot, they work well together...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Aliens was better than Alien, which surpassed the others substantially.

The first (original 1977) Star Wars was by far the best. The first 3 were much better than the next ones which came. I liked the latest installment but not as much as the original by somewhat a lot. Still, it nicely passed the torch (although I still say they gave very short shrift to Han Solo's demise). Maybe I'm just older.

I love all the Toy Story movies but liked the first the best, followed closely by 2 and then 3.

I can't watch The Godfather, although I well remember the books getting passed around in Social Studies class just before the movies came out. No one could believe the horse's head! Same thing with The Exorcist when I read it while babysitting 3 little monsters (ok, one was a monster and the other 2 were sweet but the monster cast a pretty big pall over the other two sweet ones): I could not believe that they were making a film of that! Especially the masturbation with a crucifix scene--and I'm not catholic. In fact, classmates worked in the movie theaters and reported many people vomited during the movie...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Loved the original Ghostbusters. More than once, in normal context in class, the line has come up, "who you gonna call?" and each time it causes an immediate segue into giggles. :P

Agree Godfather II was better. De Niro, young Corleone. By far.
Edited by KMInfinity, Jul 29 2016, 08:41 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Recent example of an exception to the rule - so far, the second Captain America ('The Winter Soldier') has been my favorite of the 13 Marvel movies (and the Cap trilogy is a lot better than the three Iron Mans, though Stark is more fun a character than Rogers...).

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes> cap 2 was the best.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't care for movies based on cartoons so I never saw any Captain Americas. Not Spider-Man either. I think I may have seen a Batman movie at least the one that was filmed in Chicago. It was okay. It seems like I've seen a lot of old movies over and over but not so with the Godfather I barely remember it and I really don't recall the second one at all.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here's a couple of boring movies. Hologram for the king starring Tom Hanks and one of the dullest things he's ever done. And black hat almost as though except Chris Hemsworth beats up a few people. He's a big good-looking guy but he sure can't act.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sad news: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/gene-wilder-dead-dies-willie-wonka-young-frankenstein-1201846745/

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Very sad indeed. Willy Wonka is easily one of my top ten all-time favorite movies. He was really great....

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented money monster with George Clooney yesterday. It was pretty good but nothing really original

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
We saw 'Bad Santa 2'. Cute, corny, dirty ... couple of laughs and one good cry but that is only if you were a fan of the 1st Bad Santa.We were the only ones in the luxury theater so we had a blast.

Kathy Bates was Bad Santa aka Billy Bob Thornton's mom which was fun.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
For those of you who like creepy suspenseful films I strongly suggest don't breathe. It really keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented Sully last night. It was a good movie with good acting and it managed to be tense even though you knew that he saved everybody on the plane. It was still freaking amazing what he did.

I wish somebody here would see don't breathe in tell me what they thought of it. I think gatekeeper or KMI I would like it.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Watch The Magnificent Seven tonight and I actually liked it a lot maybe even more than Sully. A lot of typical Western violence however maybe I'm a little immune to it after watching the West world series on TV. I love the cast

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The menfolk in my family have all stayed away from Magnificent Seven, out of loyalty to the original. Frankly, they are such purists that they like Seven Samarai which was the inspiration for the Magnificent Seven as 'the' standard.

It's good to hear that the remake of The Magnificent Seven is not a disaster but actually pretty decent. I'll let them know...

We saw Passengers (ok) and Rogue One (found boring and pointless) this past weekend. Mostly went because hubby was all into going to the flicks. Most people, including my kids, liked Rogue One. We just...didn't. I don't know what it is with Hollywood these days that the most likeable and original or rather 'original' characters are all robotic. Come to think of it, that was semi-true in Passengers as well. K-250 was certainly the most likeable character in Rogue One and in Passengers, Arthur was almost more interesting than Pratt or Lawrence, and I like Pratt and Lawrence much much more than I like Sheen. But don't mind me much. I find I am in a funny mood these days.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Many times remakes are awful however I have to say I had fun memories of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and we watched it on Christmas Day because I really had no football games or parades I wanted to see. And it wasn't nearly as good as I remember. Lee Marvin was Liberty Valance and Jimmy Stewart was the hero and after much rather mediocre acting why most of the cast including Andy Devine Liberty was shot down by Jimmy Stewart and that was that. And it really wasn't very amazing.

I haven't seen the original Magnificent Seven in many years although I'm sure I saw it sometime after its original release. This movie needed edited it was somewhat too long but like I said it was rewarding as Western and I really like the cast a lot. Denzel Washington is amazing in that he can seem to take on any role and do it justice. Ethan Hawke is an interesting actor as well but there was an Asian guy who was quite good I don't even know his name and the fellow who was an Indian he is actually an Alaskan Indian is downright gorgeous and he was super in the role. I also have always liked Vincent d'onofrio's quirky ways and he is working in this one as well.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have fond memories of seeing The Magnificent Seven with my family at the drive in and many times since. It's been a few years since I've seen Libert Valance but I do like it. Big Jimmy Stewart fan.

At my house it is Vincent de Creepio. Not fans...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I can't remember when I saw the original movie but I know my parents really liked westerns and horror films and they took me from the time I was very small. I haven't seen the original Magnificent Seven for many years I'll have to look for it on Sundance or retro. I was able to record the original Westworld
And may watch it over the holiday to see how it Stacks up to the show. I've always liked action movies and remember the ones with Richard Burton and David Niven. I used to think Richard Burton was the sexiest man alive until I saw him live in the theater with Elizabeth Taylor in Virginia Woolf. He had a force about him in The Bluest Eyes that you could see and her eyes were so violent they were quite a pair. But I guess by then I was old enough to not think he was sexy anymore. But still a great actor.

I like Vincent D'Onofrio a lot but a lot of people think he's creepy and I know my mother-in-law really like the law and order but wouldn't watch Criminal Intent because she thought he was too weird.

Regarding the new movies I really haven't liked any Star Wars movies other than the original too so I'm not in any hurry to see this one. As far as passengers go I really do not like either lead I haven't liked anything Jennifer Lawrence has been in and I don't like the male actor either so I won't be in a hurry to see that. Of course since we only rent movies anyhow being in a hurry is all relative anyway.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply