Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Modern Movies; The last 10 years!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:25 AM (13,420 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Prometheus - Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Patrick Wilson, Guy Pearce...

Damon Lindelof (Lost) co-wrote the script. The advance teaser for this movie made me really excited.

It's NOT an Alien sequel... it's sort of a 'prequel', but they're purposely shy (or managing expectations) about labeling it as such. Big fans of the original will recognize stuff, but it's a standalone story...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen it yet. I like a lot of Woody's work (Crimes & Misdemeanors is my favorite) and have seen most of the films... except for the last nine years or so (I'm behind, and plan to marathon through a bunch over the summer).

I love Alison Pill (from In Treatment) and can't wait to see her in The Newsroom this summer.

I kinda like spotting the Woody/Diane/Mia 'stand-ins' and evaluating performances on how well they played their given 'type' (I liked Branagh in Celebrity, and John Cusack is just perfect in Bullets Over Broadway...).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Iron Lady.

J. Edgar

For those interested in the titles...

(I haven't seen either, but I don't agree that Streep always sounds the same)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finally saw Brave. Loved it.

Finally saw The Avengers. Liked it.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved the book (Extremely Loud), but haven't seen the movie yet. Have heard/read plenty of both good and bad about it.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Haven't seen either of the Two Days, but want to. (Very happy Delpy and Hawke and Linklater have made a third 'Before', too; anxious to see that...).

Will have to see KMI's recommendation, too... that's a terrific cast.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm going to see that soon. It's sitting here on the shelf, waiting for me... I expect to love it. My Mom loved it.

(But I did get awfully tired of the 15 second preview that's been running on can't-fast-forward-through-the-ads programming On Demand that I watched a lot of over the winter break...)

Way behind on Wes Anderson, though - also have not yet seen The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Darjeeling Limited, or The Fantastic Mr. Fox. I liked Bottle Rocket a lot. I love Rushmore. I was lukewarm to/disappointed by The Royal Tenenbaums.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, as much love as Tenenbaums got from people later (but not so much when it was released), I've wondered if I was 'wrong', or approached it wrong... will revisit it someday.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was mad, I had a copy of 'Jeff' in my hands (along with a lot of other things) just after midnight on Black Friday, and I think it was four or five bucks, but I didn't check out 'til after 1 a.m., and I think a bunch of prices changed on me, and I ended up putting it and several other things down...

But I look forward to seeing it, eventually...

The character-over-plot pitch you put on it reminds me a bit of Zach Braff's Garden State, which I loved a lot.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I plan to have netflix in June (and maybe into July...).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Blind-bought Perks, but haven't watched yet. Won Best First Feature at the Independent Spirits last night...

Just watched Argo. Liked it. So now I'm 3-of-the-9 Picture nominees, and I'm gonna start watching Beasts of the Southern Wild in the next half-hour or so...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Liked Beasts. Maybe not as much as I'd hoped after what I'd heard about it, but... she IS terrific, and it's a world/story I haven't seen before, so... thumbs up.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Enjoyed the show.

Only Pic nominee shut out was Beasts of the Southern Wild.

4 - Life of Pi - Cinematography, Visual Effects, Score, Director.
3 - Les Miserables - Sound Mixing, Makeup/Hair, Supporting Actress.
3 - Argo - Editing, Adapted Screenplay, Picture.
2 - Django Unchained - Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay.
2 - Lincoln - Production Design, Actor.
1 - Amour - Foreign.
1 - Zero Dark Thirty - Sound Editing (tie).
1 - Silver Linings Playbook - Actress.
and
2 - Skyfall - Sound Editing (tie), Song.
1 - Brave - Animated Feature.
1 - Anna Karenina - Costume.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Daniel Day-Lewis is the first actor to win three Best Actor awards (the other two are for My Left Foot and There Will Be Blood). He's one of six to have three or more Oscars (tying Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson, Ingrid Bergman, and Walter Brennan; Katharine Hepburn won four).

Argo is the first film to win Picture without its director being nominated since Driving Miss Daisy in 1989 (and it's only happened twice before that - Wings in 1927 and Grand Hotel in 1932).

Emmanuelle Riva (85) is the oldest nominated Best Actress (Jessica Tandy, 80, was the oldest winner for Driving Miss Daisy).

Quvenzhane Wallis (9 - but she was 6 when it was filmed!) is the youngest nominated Best Actress (Marlee Matlin, 21, was the youngest winner for Children of a Lesser God in 1986).

Silver Linings Playbook is the first film since Reds in 1981 to be nominated in all four acting categories (then, it was Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, and Maureen Stapleton, who won Supporting Actress; now, it's Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, Jennifer Lawrence, who won Actress, and Jacki Weaver).

Kind of a 'Wow, can this be right?' - Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln is the first winning performance from a Steven Spielberg film.

Actors from the last two consecutive films directed by Tom Hooper (King's Speech, Les Mis), Quentin Tarantino (Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained - the same guy, Christoph Waltz), and David O. Russell (The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook) have won Oscars. I'm not sure how many other directors that may be true of...

Ang Lee is the first director since George Stevens (Place in the Sun, 1951 and Giant, 1956) to win two Director Oscars for films that did not win Best Picture (Crash beat Brokeback Mountain in 2005).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm anxious to see Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook (and also Amour, Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln, but not as much so...).

I wasn't shocked by any of the winners, but was somewhat surprised Lawrence has won so soon... I guess anybody else winning might have been MORE of a surprise, but... still. My Mom is maybe the only person I know who has seen The Impossible, and she raved about Naomi Watts and was hoping she would win.

I thought all four acting winners accepted their awards graciously and came off sincerely and kind-hearted.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Master comes out on disc Tuesday... I'll probably watch it next Sunday. Anxious. Love PTA's films.

I share your appreciation of Lawrence (though I haven't seen SLP yet). She's super-charming.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've probably seen more negative than positive reviews for Oz at this point (but they haven't deterred me from wanting to see it for myself or thinking I might like it...).

Really anxious to see The Master. Next week, I think... down to just one job and off for spring break, I ought to have time to take the dvr off the critical list, catch up on the hulu backlog, AND watch two or three movies....

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's funny to me sometimes after being on facebook so much... You see the line about Downey and start moving your finger to the 'like'... and we don't have one of those....

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
That's a good movie. But yes. For those who love those afflicted with Alzheimer's, it's a lot of solid punches to your gut.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> Really good acting

Naomi Watts was up for a Best Actress Oscar for it.

My Mom loved it. I'm anxious to see it...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Watched a couple movies last night.

Shame (2011) - Michael Fassbender as a sex addict, Carey Mulligan as his visiting sister. Sad but interesting. Great lead performances.

Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) - Disappointing for being the first sequel to move beyond the story of the first (instead of backwards in time). A few good scares and the lead girl is cute, but the concept seems pretty well played out now.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
American Reunion (2012, the fourth American Pie) and Scream 4 (2011).

Both had enjoyable things about them.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've seen two written by Drew Goddard, a Joss (Buffy/Angel) and J.J. (Alias/Lost) guy.

Cloverfield (2008), produced by Abrams, directed by Matt Reeves. The found footage monster movie. I always thought the idea was clever, but I was really pleased with the execution, too... it's a lot of good scary fun, and looks great (if you're one that isn't bothered by hand-held shaky cam). I really like Lizzy Caplan (soon to be on Showtime's Masters of Sex). Barely recognized Mike Vogel (lately of Pan Am and Bates Motel, soon to be on Under The Dome on CBS). Theo Rossi (Juice on Sons of Anarchy) and Ben Feldman (Ginsberg on Mad Men) have small roles.

The Cabin in the Woods (2012), directed by Goddard, co-written by Whedon (because people 'know' him, they tend to inflate his participation and ignore Goddard...). Shot in 2009 but held up by MGM's bankruptcy, Jesse Williams (Jackson on Grey's Anatomy) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) look several years younger than they should be for a 'new' movie... very fun play on horror movie conventions. Loved Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford's parts, and it was fun to see Whedon regulars Amy Acker and Tom Lenk... lead girl Kristen Connolly is gorgeous. Fran Kranz (from Dollhouse, but I haven't seen all of that yet, and I don't remember him from the six episodes I saw) is really funny as the stoner that knows something is wrong before the others do... some terrific special effects.

-

On Father's Day, I went over to Mom and Dad's and saw Life of Pi (2012) on 3-D blu-ray. Wow. Stunning, beautiful movie. Loved it a lot. Won four Oscars (more than anything else did this year), for Score, Visual Effects, Cinematography, and Director. I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone.

Had to look up Irrfan Khan (adult narrator Pi) because I knew I knew him, but couldn't remember from what... Sunil on the third season of In Treatment...

Yay, I'm 5-out-of-9 on this year's Picture nominees now...

-

When I'm going to watch a remake/reboot, and I haven't ever seen the original (or maybe I have, but not for a long time), I like to watch them together as a double bill...

Dawn of the Dead (1978), Romero's second zombie film, I'd never seen, though I've had the deluxe four-disc tons-of-extras-and-three-different-cuts-of-the-movie dvd for years, waiting for me...

I enjoyed it. Of course, historical context must be taken into account... there's funny stuff (the mall setting for a zombie movie IS pretty perfect), there's (purposely) cheesy stuff, there are graphic horror images that are 'nothing' now, but 'at the time' were a very, very big deal... I didn't like it as much as I love, say, Carpenter's Halloween from the same year. I won't be watching it over and over, or joining the cult for it, but I do want to see Romero's next four Dead films (before now, I believe I've only seen the first, 1968's 'Night of').

Dawn of the Dead (2004) is the first film directed by Zack Snyder, who has the new Superman, Man of Steel, out now. Before now, I'd only seen one of his movies (2009's Watchmen), which I thought was a poor adaptation of one of my favorite graphic novels. I'd heard good and bad about his work (mostly positive on his DOTD and the adaptation of Frank Miller's comic, 300; mostly negative about Sucker Punch; and mixed - a lot of love and hate - for his Watchmen, and I fell on the negative side... and now Man of Steel is getting very varied reviews from people I know...). But I wanted to 'catch up' and have my own opinion, so last night I started a little Snyder marathon, and should do 300 and Sucker Punch (got the blu of this very cheap over Christmas) in the next few days... won't be entirely complete, I don't have his 2010 animated Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole on hand...

The 2004 DOTD is fun. I do not mind the choice that these be fast-and-furious speed-freak zombies rushing their intended victims (as or more fierce than those seen on The Walking Dead) instead of Romero's passive, almost-harmless-unless-you're-vastly-outnumbered zombies. There are several good scary sequences, and cute nods to the original. The cast is great... Sarah Polley, Jake Weber (Medium), Ving Rhames, Mekhi Phifer, Ty Burrell as a very funny asshole... it was really bugging me who Michael Kelly (as another asshole) was, but a big 'oh, of course' when I looked him up - he was Mark Snow on Person of Interest... Also, Matt Frewer again (after Orphan Black recently, and Falling Skies now...).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm looking forward to Side Effects (Soderbergh's final feature, other than the HBO Behind The Candelabra, for at least awhile, though he's going to be working plenty in television instead of film, it sounds like...).

I'm looking forward to Looper. You're the only person I've heard from that didn't like it. Loved the director Rian Johnson's first film (Brick, 2005) and he did a couple of Breaking Bad... I am skeptical or turned off by a lot of time travel stories, but I've heard and read that this is a really good one...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll probably see it with my parents soon (Dad likes the big action movies).

Love-love-love the first one, liked the first two sequels, was very disappointed in the fourth one, especially for how crazy-unbelievable most of the stunts were... and yeah, I could see that #5 was going to be more of that.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The third one ('Die Hard with a Vengeance', with Samuel L. Jackson and Jeremy Irons co-starring) was an action script that had floated around Hollywood for awhile, called 'Simon Says' (because that was the bad guy's game). It might have been a stand-alone feature, it might have been a Lethal Weapon film... and then it became Die Hard 3. Always thought that was kinda interesting (and then, it was a pretty good movie, too, I thought).

For the new one ('A Good Day To Die Hard'), Aaron Paul had been up for the role of McClane's son. Since it turned out to be just another dumb, forgettable movie, it's for the best that he didn't get it (couldn't do it, I think, schedule-wise)...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay, A Good Day To Die Hard is embarrassingly lousy. The plot was pretty incomprehensible (it didn't help that the Russian subtitles were situated below the picture, would have to toggle aspect ratios back and forth to catch all the dialogue, and because I was with my parents Saturday, we didn't do this, because it's an effort with the remote, and we're sitting in a dark room...), not much more than These Are The Bad Guys, They Are Shooting At The Good Guys. Nothing clever in the script. Sad. There's so much wit and funny stuff in the epic first film (1988), now Bruce just mutters 'I'm on vacation' every other minute and I think it's meant to be humorous. This is one for the Worst Sequels file.

Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away (3D blu-ray) is magical. Acts from all the Vegas Cirque shows (well, not Zarkana and Michael Jackson: One, because they're too new, but dead-and-gone Viva Elvis is represented...). A good sampling. I want to see Beatles Love... a lot of Ka, which is awesome...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen either of the Expendables movies yet, but I am curious to see the Arnold/Sly 80 throwback/comebacks... saw this poster at the theatre last week, and thought 'ooh, a prison break movie... cool' - http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1689494528/tt1211956?ref_=tt_ov_i

Last Stand has Forest Whitaker, Luis Guzman, Peter Stormare... okay. Will see that sometime.

Stallone's Bullet To The Head wasn't well-reviewed, but has Jason Momoa (Game of Thrones), Sarah Shahi (Person of Interest) and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Oz, Lost) in it, so I wouldn't mind seeing it... still have to see the 2008 Rambo (I really liked the 2006 Rocky Balboa)...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Some movies on Netflix...

Hostel Part III (was a direct-to-video in 2011) - Nothing special, except the novelty of it taking place in Vegas... a few familiar faces - Chris Coy from Treme, John Hensley from Nip/Tuck...

House at the End of the Street (2012) - I love Jennifer Lawrence, I think she's very pretty and cool. Elisabeth Shue, Max Thieriot from Bates Motel, I like him, he's good...

Going to watch The Poker House (2008), with Lawrence (first major film role) and Selma Blair (I've always liked her) next, but I got distracted by an old bit of unfinished viewing (Poker House is written and directed by actress Lori Petty, who appears in the thing I'm watching now) ... the silly-but-mostly-fun Fox series Prison Break ended four years ago, but there was a two-episode straight-to-dvd epilogue that I never got around to renting (dvd had the subtitle 'The Final Break', but the episodes were titled 'The Old Ball and Chain' and 'Free'). Krystal said she rented it a few months after the series ended...

Kinda fun to hear the music again... fun seeing the series' semi-good-guys-win scenario quickly become another 'we have to do another prison break', this time for Sara... the women prison brings OrangeITNB to mind... Kim Coates (Tig on SOA) is in it, and Dot Marie-Jones from Glee...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Poker House good but a real downer (three poor sisters, Mom's a whore).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply