Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Modern Movies; The last 10 years!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:25 AM (13,428 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
TGIR :)
I have never really fall at celebrities until I see them a number of times and I am impressed with their acting. Like I like Chris Pine because of his work with Star Trek and I've seen him in a few other things where I feel he's proved he's more than just a good looking male specimen. There's another Chris, I don't even recall his last name oh yeah it's Hemsworth. He acts like a piece of 2x4.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented the lost city of Z and it was a big waste of two and a half hours. Charlie Hunan was terrible in it and he didn't even get undressed. There was very little action and in general it was just very dull.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented a movie called life with Jake Gyllenhaal and some other good cast members. It was sci-fi and a little too much of a copy of alien but I still enjoyed it.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My husband was reading the lost city of Z but he sort of thought it was dragging on too much he might finish it but a little of the time.

I broke down a bunch of movies that are on Netflix and we tried something called the invitation which didn't gross a lot of money there were sort of second-rate actors in there including Tammy Blanchard formerly of GL of course. It was a good movie in a very weird way though it kind of strong you out having a feeling that there was something really wrong with this group of people but it wasn't until the last 10 or 15 minutes that things really blew up. It's sort of a psychological drama, and probably deserve to be seen by more people than it was

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented alien Covenant. I was sort of disappointed. I liked it better than Prometheus but not nearly as much as the Alien movies or even the movie I reviewed a few weeks ago called life. They start off with the stupidest concept that they would land on a planet that they never knew or tested and they would March right down there without any biohazard suits. Even though it looked like Earth and appeared to have water how in God's name would you know what kind of bacteria and virus were in that world. Look at what smallpox did to the Indians. I was sort of disappointed suits. Even though it looks like her than appear to have water how in Gods name would you know what kind of bacteria in virus were in that world. Look at what smallpox did to the native americans. I also never got attached to the cast and didn't care if they survived or not
Edited by Krystal, Aug 16 2017, 08:01 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I forgot to mention that we had rented hacksaw Ridge. I like it more than I thought I would it was pretty gory but there was a lot of story that made it more palatable. On the other hand I had seen the Revenant and hated it because it just seems like Gore for 2 hours to me. We will see Dunkirk one of these days.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We finally rented Wonder Woman and I was glad we saw it at home because I was able to buy shoes on Zappos app on my phone while I was watching the movie. I don't really care for comic book our cartoon based movies so I sort of expected this. It was okay in that it was based on Greek mythology which I used to love in fact I used to read the stories in Latin seriously I had four years of it but don't ask me to tell you what a freaking word is now. However I still remember how lot of them with ology. So I like the beginning of the show.

But I don't really care for the special effects were people are flying around in the air and the island and much of the other special effects look super phoney and computer-generated to me.

I thought Gal Gadot was pretty good in the role, and Chris Pine is probably the only young actor I actually like I'm like Chris Hemsworth and many of the other ones. So he was fine too. But like I said I was glad I could shoe shop while I was watching the show because two and a half hours of that was about 2 hours too many.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I did see hidden figures and it was great. The acting was great in the story was great. And just shows you these women really never got credit for what they did. That's the kind of role model I would want for my teenage girl not a scantily clad Amazonian woman flying in the air and jumping off cliffs. However I don't disagree with your strong women thing in the Wonder Woman show and I probably watched more of the beginning with Robin Wright and the other Amazon Women and started shoe shopping when the guys came on board. :-)

I wish there were more movies like hidden figures. I also did not go into Wonder Woman thinking I would love it and I agree with you it was better than many of the films of its genre but then I don't see very many films of that genre. I am so fortunate to have a husband that enjoys the same kind of movies that I do but he says he is fortunate to have a wife that hates actually loathes chick flicks and romantic comedies. So there you go.

We haven't found much to rent lately but there are some new TV shows so that's okay but I will rent Dunkirk when it is available.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
No one seeing movies?
Anyone seen 3 Billboards?
Friends have told me that they hated Black Panther and the Eastwood movie about the train attack...
I still just rent but won't even do that if there is enough critical reviews by friends

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Liked Only The Brave, very close to home here..

Agreed with everything TGIR said re Billboards. Casting of wife ridiculous. I get so annoyed at these 60 year old actors having 5 year old kids in general.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Also casting of ex husband's girlfriend unreal. Why would anyone want the abusive loser let alone a young pretty woman.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Shape of Water, dull, predictable. Snooze.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here is what I really didn't like. Both Michael Shannon and Octavia Spencer are superb actors. However their roles were stremely mundane and trite. Shannon was like the mustache twirling villain. And Spencer was the ever present side kick. Way too predictable. I expected a bit of horror, maybe at least some major shootout.
But it was mostly just a romantic movie which I loath.
The dance scene was so absurd I have had to fast forward it not to throw up in my mouth. I can see somebody who likes sort of a romantic movie liking this but I am completely dumbfounded as to how it would win any kind of award.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Shannon in the Iceman, cold killer, great acting. Spencer in Hidden Figures. There is a use of their talents. Not these cartoon characters.

So what was t his movie when the creature from the Black Lagoon breaks into a Fred and Ginger Broadway musical? Jesus.

It was like Alice in wonderland meets Stormy Daniels
And the Terminator in a Disney production. It made no sense.

Obviously, Someone must have thought something of it or it wouldn't have got the awards. I'd be really interestef in hearing some other reviews of it here.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I realize what it was about. Many other movies have made that point much better. Like I said I thought everybody was a cartoon character pretty much. I thought the writing was terrible for everyone except possibly the lead woman. And the make up on the amphibian lead was obvious. I could see where the mask ended and his face began. Like a water version of Batman with fins. Argh. Be interested in anyone else's take on it.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Annihilation, holy shit!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't think much as anybody watches movies anymore. I amgoing to give you 3 reviews just in case.

Annihilation Was just amazing am the best science fiction movie I have seen since alien 1 and 2. I loved it.
It was a very strong female cast and the women were for the most part very competent. There were some
Gory moments, but nothing that was not pertinent to the plot. I found it extremely thought provoking. And it had a much greater meaning then most movies today. For those of you who like science fiction it is a total must see.

I also watched the Tale on HBO. This was about a woman who was 50 years old and she finds a diary which brings back memories of a molestation which took place when she was a young teen. Some of it is hard to stomach but I think it very much shows how this can happen. Also thought that it had terrible casting. But still worth watching.

Lastly we rented death wish which was a remake of the old Charles Bronson movie. Bruce Willis was the lead.
The old Charles Bronson movie was better. Being that I like stupid action movies though, this was ok.
I have to warn you though some of it was like Bruce Willis meets Final destination, in that some of the
Villains met extremely gory endings. I loved that :)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think you will really be bothered by the Tale, but I still reccomend seeing it. I think it was accurate in how these people work.

I will be curious if anyone likes Annilhilation as much as I did.

I am sure you can pass on Bruce :)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
TGIR, totally agree. Just because this was set back man does not mean it does not occur today.

I am anxious to see Hereditary when it's released.

We just watched American Made, Tom cruise, in a sort of black comedy based on the Iran Contra mess during the Reagan administration. Sort of made you shake your head in the parralells of today. We taped in on HBO, probably available on demand.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: