Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Modern Movies; The last 10 years!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:25 AM (13,186 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved Argo. I was in my post-doc program with all these Middle Eastern people, we had a big exchange program. I was scheduled to lecture in Tehran after completing my program. Then the shit hit the fan. Many were Iranians who got stuck here because they woud have been jailed if they went back. Iranians are nice people, it is too bad their leadership is so fucked up.

Zero Dark, I thought it was dull...

I'll try the Master too..
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Watched 'The Notebook' last night with my daughter. She had seen it ... I had not. Probably not the best choice of movies to watching with my mother dying recently from dementia but it was good ... it was cute ... it was predictable.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
That's a good movie. But yes. For those who love those afflicted with Alzheimer's, it's a lot of solid punches to your gut.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I saw The Notebook in theaters. I'm a bigbig James Garner fan--childhood and forward crush, and frankly, he was the draw for me to go see the film, because he does so little film work--or work at all in recent years, but this film made me realize exactly how talented he is, not just how good looking and charming and appealing. And fell in love with the entire cast. Of course, the scenes with Gena Rowlands made me just cry. My mother had dementia which eventually killed her, as dementia is fatal. Not Alzheimers. I will insert my plug here that despite what most popular media likes to make you believe and what I am convinced the Alzheimer's Association would like you to believe, not all dementia is Alzheimer's, which can be definitively diagnosed only after death, which is rarely done. Mom's dementia was the result of a stroke she suffered at age 42; dementia did not set in (that I noticed and I was the first of her daughters to admit to seeing it) until her late 50's--about 14 years after her stroke. My father left my mother a few years after the stroke, when she was about as recovered as she ever was.

James Garner/Duke stayed with Gena Rowlands/Allie. Which made me weep, but also feel so glad, so hopeful. Not everyone does leave if you get dementia. It was quite a romantic portrayal of dementia, and of the effects on a relationship. But of course, we came for the romance.

Edited by tgir, Apr 2 2013, 08:08 AM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just rented the Campaign, one of the better Ferrel films. Not great but good for some laughs.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jack Reacher, this was OK but Cruise ruined it for me. I read the books and Reacher is 6'5" not a Scientologist midget. It was filmed in Pittsburgh which was anothe plus. Mostly an action flick, not too stupid with the action though. Cazeviel (sp?) should have had this role, or the guy from Hell on Wheels, or even jason Statham. Maybe Daniel Criag. Not Cruise.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah all my Lee Childs fans are irritated. I have the first book on my shelf...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
"The Impossible", a many hankie sort of action movie. Really good acting. Natural disaster, family has to find each other. Not my usual but enjoyed it.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> Really good acting

Naomi Watts was up for a Best Actress Oscar for it.

My Mom loved it. I'm anxious to see it...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Watts was very very good. Poor thing probably got beat up some in the filming and looked like crap the whole 2 hours. No glamour there. The oldest boy actor was really outstanding as well. We'll see more of this kid.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Watched a couple movies last night.

Shame (2011) - Michael Fassbender as a sex addict, Carey Mulligan as his visiting sister. Sad but interesting. Great lead performances.

Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) - Disappointing for being the first sequel to move beyond the story of the first (instead of backwards in time). A few good scares and the lead girl is cute, but the concept seems pretty well played out now.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Started to watch Django Unchained, and hated it. We quit after about 30 minutes.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Possession (sp), Kyra Sedgwick. Thought it would be better. It was just OK. Gate, are you sure Satan didn't come out of an evil box?

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
American Reunion (2012, the fourth American Pie) and Scream 4 (2011).

Both had enjoyable things about them.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rented Hitchcock and really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend to anyone on this board, for the excellent performances, the interesting look into the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Hitchcock, the making of the film Psycho and a thousand other things. Really good, interesting, compelling.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've seen two written by Drew Goddard, a Joss (Buffy/Angel) and J.J. (Alias/Lost) guy.

Cloverfield (2008), produced by Abrams, directed by Matt Reeves. The found footage monster movie. I always thought the idea was clever, but I was really pleased with the execution, too... it's a lot of good scary fun, and looks great (if you're one that isn't bothered by hand-held shaky cam). I really like Lizzy Caplan (soon to be on Showtime's Masters of Sex). Barely recognized Mike Vogel (lately of Pan Am and Bates Motel, soon to be on Under The Dome on CBS). Theo Rossi (Juice on Sons of Anarchy) and Ben Feldman (Ginsberg on Mad Men) have small roles.

The Cabin in the Woods (2012), directed by Goddard, co-written by Whedon (because people 'know' him, they tend to inflate his participation and ignore Goddard...). Shot in 2009 but held up by MGM's bankruptcy, Jesse Williams (Jackson on Grey's Anatomy) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) look several years younger than they should be for a 'new' movie... very fun play on horror movie conventions. Loved Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford's parts, and it was fun to see Whedon regulars Amy Acker and Tom Lenk... lead girl Kristen Connolly is gorgeous. Fran Kranz (from Dollhouse, but I haven't seen all of that yet, and I don't remember him from the six episodes I saw) is really funny as the stoner that knows something is wrong before the others do... some terrific special effects.

-

On Father's Day, I went over to Mom and Dad's and saw Life of Pi (2012) on 3-D blu-ray. Wow. Stunning, beautiful movie. Loved it a lot. Won four Oscars (more than anything else did this year), for Score, Visual Effects, Cinematography, and Director. I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone.

Had to look up Irrfan Khan (adult narrator Pi) because I knew I knew him, but couldn't remember from what... Sunil on the third season of In Treatment...

Yay, I'm 5-out-of-9 on this year's Picture nominees now...

-

When I'm going to watch a remake/reboot, and I haven't ever seen the original (or maybe I have, but not for a long time), I like to watch them together as a double bill...

Dawn of the Dead (1978), Romero's second zombie film, I'd never seen, though I've had the deluxe four-disc tons-of-extras-and-three-different-cuts-of-the-movie dvd for years, waiting for me...

I enjoyed it. Of course, historical context must be taken into account... there's funny stuff (the mall setting for a zombie movie IS pretty perfect), there's (purposely) cheesy stuff, there are graphic horror images that are 'nothing' now, but 'at the time' were a very, very big deal... I didn't like it as much as I love, say, Carpenter's Halloween from the same year. I won't be watching it over and over, or joining the cult for it, but I do want to see Romero's next four Dead films (before now, I believe I've only seen the first, 1968's 'Night of').

Dawn of the Dead (2004) is the first film directed by Zack Snyder, who has the new Superman, Man of Steel, out now. Before now, I'd only seen one of his movies (2009's Watchmen), which I thought was a poor adaptation of one of my favorite graphic novels. I'd heard good and bad about his work (mostly positive on his DOTD and the adaptation of Frank Miller's comic, 300; mostly negative about Sucker Punch; and mixed - a lot of love and hate - for his Watchmen, and I fell on the negative side... and now Man of Steel is getting very varied reviews from people I know...). But I wanted to 'catch up' and have my own opinion, so last night I started a little Snyder marathon, and should do 300 and Sucker Punch (got the blu of this very cheap over Christmas) in the next few days... won't be entirely complete, I don't have his 2010 animated Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole on hand...

The 2004 DOTD is fun. I do not mind the choice that these be fast-and-furious speed-freak zombies rushing their intended victims (as or more fierce than those seen on The Walking Dead) instead of Romero's passive, almost-harmless-unless-you're-vastly-outnumbered zombies. There are several good scary sequences, and cute nods to the original. The cast is great... Sarah Polley, Jake Weber (Medium), Ving Rhames, Mekhi Phifer, Ty Burrell as a very funny asshole... it was really bugging me who Michael Kelly (as another asshole) was, but a big 'oh, of course' when I looked him up - he was Mark Snow on Person of Interest... Also, Matt Frewer again (after Orphan Black recently, and Falling Skies now...).

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finally caught up with Dark Knight Rises on cable. Lots of Pittsburgh scenes subbing for Gotham. I even recognized the interiors of some buildings. I knew several people who worked on the movie, several who were extras.

At nearly three hours I found it a little bloated, well...a LOT bloated... and as always, not nearly as interested in Batman as in Superman or Spiderman. I think it might be that I 'met' Batman as a campy, silly 60's romp, and just cannot reconcile this broody, angsty dude with Adam West and company. Plus, Batman's angst always seemed poorly developed and presented. I cared a heckuva lot more about Supe's human worries, and Spidey's family tragedies than I ever did about the Waynes.

I did like Gordon-Levitt who is a big favorite. Bane, and the story, and the rather boring special effects....meh. Avengers beats Batman hands down.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't lile Cloverfield much, I think it was the camera work, but did think Cabin In the Woods was pretty good for that type of movie.

I saw only one Of the Spiderman movies and hated it, I don't like cartoony movies at all. Not much interest in Superman. Dark Knight was OK, marginal for me.

I think the old zombie movies were cool, but then, they were new to us then...still, I will rewatch the Romero films again and again.

KMI, the Reacher film was filmed in Pgh but I thought it mostly sucked as I hate Cruise and he is so not Reacher. Practically anyone would have been a better choice, even Tyler Perry. At least he is tall...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Side Efects, super good movie. Catherine Zeta Jones, Rooney. Total suspense, great acting, psychological thriller. See it!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Looper, could not watch. Time travel, terrible dialog. Bruce Willis.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm looking forward to Side Effects (Soderbergh's final feature, other than the HBO Behind The Candelabra, for at least awhile, though he's going to be working plenty in television instead of film, it sounds like...).

I'm looking forward to Looper. You're the only person I've heard from that didn't like it. Loved the director Rian Johnson's first film (Brick, 2005) and he did a couple of Breaking Bad... I am skeptical or turned off by a lot of time travel stories, but I've heard and read that this is a really good one...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
LOVED Looper. (But I love time travel stories.) There is one bit I was confused about concerning standard time travel paradoxes. Dax I will look forward to your opinion.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just saw 'Jack Reacher'. I'm not a Tom Cruise fan but the movie was OK. Robert Duvall was in it towards the end and he was by far the best part of the movie.

I loved Looper but I'm also a time travel lover and Bruce Wilis.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought Reacher was OK, but would have been way better with another actor.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jul 2 2013, 06:07 PM
I thought Reacher was OK, but would have been way better with another actor.
I agree Krystal, any other Hollywood actor would have been better.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Even Tyler Perry :)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rented the latest Die Hard and was pretty meh. The series has sort of run its course for sure. There was a lot of action, mostly unbelievable. The setting was Russia though which made it a little different. So if you want to see Bruce and his son blow up everything in sight and/or crash into it, see this one.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll probably see it with my parents soon (Dad likes the big action movies).

Love-love-love the first one, liked the first two sequels, was very disappointed in the fourth one, especially for how crazy-unbelievable most of the stunts were... and yeah, I could see that #5 was going to be more of that.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I pretty much agree, I did like at least the first 2. Your dad might enjoy the stunts, there are plenty..

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The third one ('Die Hard with a Vengeance', with Samuel L. Jackson and Jeremy Irons co-starring) was an action script that had floated around Hollywood for awhile, called 'Simon Says' (because that was the bad guy's game). It might have been a stand-alone feature, it might have been a Lethal Weapon film... and then it became Die Hard 3. Always thought that was kinda interesting (and then, it was a pretty good movie, too, I thought).

For the new one ('A Good Day To Die Hard'), Aaron Paul had been up for the role of McClane's son. Since it turned out to be just another dumb, forgettable movie, it's for the best that he didn't get it (couldn't do it, I think, schedule-wise)...

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply