Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Modern Movies; The last 10 years!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:25 AM (12,454 Views)
Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here is a new thread to talk about the movies that are no longer in theater but are still relatively new.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK, now I got it. Well I mistakenly posted Salt under announcements but I will repost here. I liked the movie, had to suspend belief alot, but it was very much like an upscale version of 24.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ewww, once in awhile hsb sneaks in a real loser, this time it was the A Team. Sucko, but at least he admits it and we put it back in the envelope after 10 minutes. Gotta check the list more often I guess!

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal! I can't believe that YOU watched The A-Team! LOLOLOL!!! :lmfao:

I wouldn't watch that one if you paid me. The t.v. series was bad enough. I'm surprised you made it 10 minutes.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I watched 10 minutes of it then barfed. Hsb turned it off after 12 minutes!!!

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Vampires Suck. The title pretty much sums up the movie. It's a spoof, and apparently I do not like those, but I thought it would be fun - sort of a guilt pleasure movie. Not really.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My guilty pleasure (and very mood specific) was Hot Tub Time Machine. I guarantee that Krystal would hate it. My 25 year old son liked it and is a bit perplexed that I picked it out (very, very mood specific) but says, oh, well: dad likes chick flicks (a vast overstatement, but hubby does go against stereotype male sometimes).

Hubby and sons used to watch The A Team on tv back in the day and I was dead sure I was going to be dragged to see it just as I was dragged to see Clash of the Titans (bad, bad, bad. Poor, poor, poor Liam Neeson was obviously deep in mourning when he agreed to make Titans and A Team). Somehow, we just got too busy. I still really expected it to be a Christmas present to either hubby or one of my sons from...somebody. Then I heard the DVD was still pretty expensive for what it is (Honestly, isn't a $5 too expensive for that particular DVD???). I would have only agreed to attempt to watch it for Liam Neeson but I'll watch almost any thing he's in, or at least try to.

BTW, he's in a new film (not sure if it's released yet) called Unknown, with January Jones. I've seen the trailer and will probably try to see it in theaters when it plays. It 's a mystery/thriller......

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
No actually, I rather liked Hot Tub a lot better than most comedies. Did surprise me, I was prepared to hate it.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was reading Entertainment Weekly at my hairdresser's yesterday and saw they listed The Book of Eli as one of the year's worst movies. LOL!

Glad to hear that you guys liked Hot Tub Time Machine. I assumed I would hate it as well but now maybe I'll give it chance when it comes to HBO or Showtime. I do love me some John Cusack.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hot Tub, not profound but entertaining.

I like Eli quite a bit. Love me my Denzel.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jan 9 2011, 03:02 PM
No actually, I rather liked Hot Tub a lot better than most comedies. Did surprise me, I was prepared to hate it.
I must say, this shocks me, Krystal.

Definitely not art and definitely cruder than I would have liked, but kind of fun and silly. I confess I only watched it because I am a huge John Cusack fan, although he def. makes some stinkers.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lord, I cannot believe what we just watched, "Machete" with Danny Trejo, but a big star cast including DeNiro, Lohan, Don Johnson, Steven Segal and Jessica Alba. It is about as violent as you can get but also a black parody and quite hilarious. For instance Lohan runs around semi nude half the time but ends up gunning down people in a nun's habit.
I don't want to give away more except to say the movies isomewhat and sadly pertinent to the immigration battles today.

If you like black humor and don't mind decapitations it is not to be missed.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The fake trailer (in Grindhouse) was brilliant, and a real feature became inevitable...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax, and maybe Gate, I think you would love it.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just watched Winter's Bone, which had a small release. It was relatively faithful to the novel but with some changes: one of the younger brothers became a younger sister; there was far less of the friendship between Ree and her friend, a few more, but the mood/feeling was well captured, the casting was terrific, the acting was really very good, good music (but very specific to the region so my guess is that most would not like it).

I had asked for it for Christmas as it never played anywhere near me and I didn't think I would find it in the video store. The film won the Grand Jury Prize at the 2010 Sundance festival. Jennifer Lawrence, who plays Ree Dolly in the film received a great deal of recognition for her performance, justifiably, imo.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented it and I liked it a lot. I also thought it was well cast and well acted. Really depressing circumstances with that poor girl. I like to think she could get out when the kids got older.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just finsished "Case 39" a recent DVD release with Renee Zellwiger and Ian McShane. It was another "evil child" film, but way better than most. Very suspenseful. If you like that type of film, rent it for sure.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just saw 'All about Steve' with Sandra Bullock, Thomas Haden Church, & Bradley Cooper. I really wanted to like it but it was TERRIBLE.

I also got around to watching 'W'. I thought it was good and fascinating. I'm sure if you liked W the man you wouldn't care for the movie.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
She has had some real losers lately, other than the football one which frankly I thought was over rated. I don't like romantic comedy as I have mentioned but actually we had the Proposal on our list and i thought it sucked as well.

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Anyone see The Queen? I have that one coming next.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I did, and Mirren did a fab job, but I found it a bit dull.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree with Krystal. Mirren was wonderful, as always. The film was a bit dull--low key might be a better word. Or dull. I could go with dull. Put it this way, I had forgotten that I had seen it until Krystal mentioned Mirren.

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I heard she was good so that's why I wanted to see it. I won't watch it with high expectations for story though, thanks.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gatekeeper
Jan 11 2011, 05:57 PM
Just saw 'All about Steve' with Sandra Bullock, Thomas Haden Church, & Bradley Cooper. I really wanted to like it but it was TERRIBLE.

I also got around to watching 'W'. I thought it was good and fascinating. I'm sure if you liked W the man you wouldn't care for the movie.
Gate--I thought it was terrible, too! And such a great cast, what a shame. We recorded it but didn't even finish watching. I'll have to give W a try. The only reason I didn't record it was because I can't stand Dubya. :P

Krystal--I can't wait to see Machete! I love Robert Rodriguez movies.......and Danny Trejo, who the hubby and I always refer to as the "Are you a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can't" guy. Desperado and Sin City are two of my all-time fave RR movies. I never mind the violence because it's so cartoonish and over the top.

And you can count me in as one who thought the "football movie" (The Blind Side) was overrated. As much as I like Sandra Bullock, it just wasn't an Oscar worthy role to me. But I was still happy for her, especially in light of what happened days afterward.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really like Sandra Bullock, but wouldn't consider watching that Steve movie which looked awful and also never saw Blind Side.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was glad she got the award too, but more for her body of work than the Blind Side. It was kind of "eh", OK but not great.

Machete rocks, and I agree about the violence, it is not to be taken seriously. Much less disturbing than a rape scene or something realistic.
The parody goes on and on, and the more you get into it the funnier it is.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Social Network", I like it a lot. Thought it was a good movie plus I learned things I did not know.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Loved 'Social Network'. It was a fun movie with a great plot. I would love to know which parts are true and which parts aren't but I keep reading conflicting reports but either was great movie. :D

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
'Social Network' and 'Barney's Version' are two movies I do want to see.

Saw 'Inception' -- didn't like it all; also saw 'The King's Speech' -- thought the acting was excellent, but do realize that for some there may not be enough action/plot to hold their interest..

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was thinking the same thing about network Gate. They sure made those twins out to be jerks, dad is a Billionaire or whatever and these guys are suing for an idea they threw out but never worked on.

It really held my interest.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: