Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
In theaters now or coming soon
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:23 AM (6,666 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Funny we just rewatched both Alien movies and loved them again. I can't believe that they were made over 30 years ago!

Don't know if we will actually venture to the theater to see Prometheus or just wait for rental as we usually do. Dax, what did you think of Rapace and Theron in their roles?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rapace was good - pretty sure this is the first thing I've seen her in... (will watch the Dragon Tattoo trilogy over the summer).

Theron doesn't have quite as much to play... she's stiff and imposing... appropriate for the role.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yikes, can't believe that you have not seen the trilogy, being that you are usually the first kid on the block..

Oh well, that will be fun.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Been awhile (ten years or so) since I've been comfortably 'current' on movies... tv, I'm good. But film... yeah. Not so good. Used to see ALL the Oscar noms (BEFORE the show, even)... now, I haven't seen, like, even the WINNERS of the last seven or eight years...

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
We've jsut got back from Prometheus, Imax 3D. I was quite disappointed. I'm not a fan of the Aliens movies, so it's not like I was anticipating some kind of a film and got a different one. I remember too little though I've seen the first two several times.

My biggest problem was the screenplay and the fact that everyone was behaving like a kid on a school trip and not like a brilliant scientist on an important and expensive mission.

Well filmed though, I don't think you need to see it in 3D, it was not bad, but nothing special, re 3D. Titanic 3D on the other hand, WOW :)

The acting was good, the story not so much.

Also, please warn any of you pregnant friends that they don't want to see it right now :)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I kinda would have liked to have seen Titanic in 3-D.

Only a couple people on the ship were brilliant scientists, though (and then, they were the most excited ones). Most of the others... not the brightest.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
After reading some reviews on RottenTomatoes, I'm toning down my expectation level for Prometheus. I might go see it tomorrow but I'm accepting the fact that the film as a whole won't be as exciting as those 3 minute trailers.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finally got to see Men In Black 3 in it's entirety. I absolutely LOVED IT! I was always a huge fan of the first 2 and have been looking forward to the 3rd ever since I heard about it. It was well done and had a great story to it. :D

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
In its entirety... did you have to walk out on an earlier attempt?

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good! ALWAYS leave your phone off when you go to the movies.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jun 15 2012, 09:12 PM
In its entirety... did you have to walk out on an earlier attempt?

YES! I was so upset. Went to see it a couple of weeks ago and was 1/2 hour into it when the kid called saying she was sick and needed us to pick her up for work. To add insult to injury she decided to tough it out AFTER we had left movie!!!!

.... and YES TGIR ... I did turn my phone off during the movie BOTH times but hubby has a WORK cell phone that he can never turn off (he's always has to be available 24/7 ... just in case) and the kid tracked us down. :firemad:

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh, I'd have been so, so mad... (surely somebody else could have picked her up, or not picked her up...).

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Me too! How did teh therapy go?

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just came back from Prometheus, which I liked, although I think it was something of a mistake to see it with my husband because I didn't lose myself in the movie so much.

I don't want to spoil anything but there were two parts that really irked me (aside from anything science related, lapses and gaps in logic, story, etc):

1. He's the scientist and she's the girlfriend? GMAFB. I would hope in 80 years we shall have progressed more than that.
2. Stephen Fucking Stills. GMAnother FB. 80 years from now, somebody will still remember Fucking Stephen Stills? And a bad ass black dude will reference Stephen Fucking Stills? No. Way. Jose.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> He's the scientist and she's the girlfriend?

Weren't they both?

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
EXACTLY!

Or rather, he was supposedly a scientist, but in reality, I saw him engage in ZERO behavior that made him seem anything like a scientist, even by movie standards.

Spoilerish if you haven't seen the film:

Also, Vickers' being the daughter of Weyland, and a less worthy heir than if she had been his son.

Other than that, I liked the film. And a nice set up for Prometheus II.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Really eager to see Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. The book was weirdly interesting, though not a total success imo. but with Alan Tudyk as Stephen Douglas that will be awesome.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw Campaign with Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis(sp). It had a couple funny moments but if our tickets werent free, I'd have been disappointed. Maybe good if you just want to mindlessly veg out in front of the tv when it comes out on netflix.

But the upside our tickets were for the AMC dine-in, over 21, plush recliner theater. Its new here, i dont know if they have them elsewhere, but it was pretty cool. We were actually more impressed with the theater than the movie.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's not an easy name, for sure, but you ARE correct with that spelling.

I expect I'll enjoy The Campaign. I like both guys a lot, and several in the supporting cast.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We had a theatre like that, but the over 21 part closed. All the seats in the place were new and reclining even in the normal ones...where alcohol wasn't allowed.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw Hugo on cable. Watched it 3 times and fell asleep each time. Finally watched it the 4th time. Was not impressed at all. The background on Melies was cool and I would have rather seen much more of that. Cohen especially as the train nazi was just annoying and creepy. I can't believe it was such a big deal Oscar time.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree that Cohen was creepy but I loved Hugo. Maybe you needed to be at a theater. Seriously, I came out feeling happy and satisfied and that almost never happens at the moves.

Our town theater is closed for renovations, so no chance to see anything new.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought it was awful. We turned it off about half way.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm with tgir. Hugo was brilliant and beautiful to me.

KMI >> The background on Melies was cool and I would have rather seen much more of that.

But it was all LEADING to that, or all ABOUT that...

I haven't read Brian Selznick's book (2007's 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret'), but I'll get to it ... it's great-looking to flip through, and I'd always smile when I see one of those big thick monsters on a student's desk ('it's a silent comic... it's an illustrated novel... it's a film history textbook - it just can't make up it's mind...') ... new one, 2011's Wonderstruck, also looks really cool... I've started seeing that in school libraries...

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Sep 28 2012, 02:19 PM
It's not an easy name, for sure, but you ARE correct with that spelling.

I expect I'll enjoy The Campaign. I like both guys a lot, and several in the supporting cast.
The supporting cast is really great, the actress who plays Zach Gs (i got it right once i wont push it lol) wife is hysterical. I've seen her in a few other things but wasnt overly familiar with her, she stole the movie imo.

bloss I can understand the 21+ theater closing, Ours is brand new and we've now been twice and both times combined including us there were 20 people there. Granted we went a bit early (5 and 6) but it was on Friday, we were pretty surprised by the lack of people.

Most recently we saw Trouble With the Curve, predictable and not exactly exciting but it wasnt terrible. Its a feel good kinda movie and a couple "special" blue drinks later it was an enjoyable night at the movies.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> I've seen her in a few other things but wasn't overly familiar with her, she stole the movie imo.

Sarah Baker... I remember her from VH1's Free Radio... she's on Go On now... funny lady, yes.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1807222/

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks! Yep thats her I just realized its Go On where I know her from most recently, for some reason i never think to look on imdb. I've also seen sweet home alabama about a million times, though i still cant place her in the movie. She is very funny!

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just came back from Wreck It Ralph, which was pretty good. I know that I am not the key demographic it's aimed at, but still appreciated the premise, the voice actors and the over all animation. Audience had a lot of kids with parents and it was appropriate for that age, and also enjoyed by adults and I would guess teens/young adults. And I say this as someone who never plays any video games (but remembers playing pinball sometimes--and remembers when Indiana decreed that pinball games were 'gambling' because you could win games--since overturned.)

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I urge everyone to see Spielberg's Lincoln ASAP. One of the best movies, certainly the best historical fiction movie I have seen in years.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's on my list but I may have missed it in my town. Good films tend not to last so long. We saw a couple last weekend with Lincoln as being the next one on deck. It may not have lasted though.... will have to check.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: