Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
In theaters now or coming soon
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:23 AM (6,774 Views)
tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just saw Super8 which we really liked.

Off to bed as I have to get up in the morning for work (groan) but def. recommend. Again: not art but has some classic Steven Spielberg tells the story of kids........meet alien.

FWIW, I think it's worth seeing in a movie theater because it is the sort of film that does best on a bigger screen.

Not art, of course, but fun. Very impressed with all of the child actors. Film lets them be kids...

eta: It's a JJ Abrams film but I see Spielberg (producer) all over it.
Edited by tgir, Jun 11 2011, 09:04 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks tgir. I'll catch this one.

A former student sent me a link to this movie, as she knows I teach a unit on the Holocaust.

Kristin Scott Thomas in Sarah's Key

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw Super 8, two weeks ago due to tgir's recommendation. It was enjoyable for what it is. While it isn't cinema, it was fun and that's what is important. Last night went to see Cars 2, the first one was better and much deeper. This one was more about the humor. Cars that are lemons try to take over the world (like Yugos, Gremlins and Pacers)...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
BL, I hope you were not disappointed in Super8. Not art but a good time and good for the kind of film it is.

Missed the first Cars film. Without little kids, we don't see as many of the pixar and other animated films as we might otherwise. We did go see Kung Fu Panda II, mostly because hubby had seen I with our daughter when it came out, so sentiment. OK for what it was but mostly forgettable.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cars 2 is the first Pixar film (of 12) to disappoint me (story not as developed as any of the others are, and script - jokes weren't funny enough), but it still had a lot about it that I DID like...

But it is their first to not be a total home run for me. So that's semi-significant... kinda bound to happen EVENTUALLY... but it wasn't a complete disaster or anything, just... lesser than.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMI, bit OT, but the Holocaust comment has caught my eye. Someone told me that US students are not taught about the Holocaust and the camps that they are not told they existed, is it true?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow.

I suppose that could be true in a random school here or there, (or in other regions of the country?)but most private or parochial (Catholic) schools include the Holocaust as a major focus in 8th grade. My unit is nine weeks long, and merged with the study of WWII, but I'd guess 70% focuses specifically on the Holocaust. PLUS, the lit teacher and the religion teacher combine with content in an interdisciplinary unit. In addition to historical content, students see the movies Life Is beautiful, Swing Kids, and Paper Clips; and read Daniel's Story, Anne Frank, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. It's a really big deal. They need to write a research paper in Lit, complete a project for me, and plan an action activity in religion.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks. I'm glad that's not true.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Harry Potter Premiere in London in few hours, there's a live feed from Trafalgar Square.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harry-potter/8622848/Harry-Potter-premiere-in-London-live.html

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw Harry Potter final chapter: good finish to the series. Others will do more justice to the film than I could, so I will leave it to them (shocked there hasn't been a lot of chatter about it here, honestly).

What I really wanted to post about was: Cowboys and Aliens!

I know, I know, I know. But two things: Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford.

Another thing: Daniel Craig in nice, fitted chaps, with a nice, tight shirt, and a really shrunken vest. Channeling Clint Eastwood in the Man with No Name films....

The whole aliens thing was pretty implausible, of course. Hardly needs mentioning. But: look past that and you get a pretty entertaining cowboy film, with Indians as allies. No surprises plot wise, but a pretty good time. If you go looking for more, you will be very disappointed.

OH: not enamored with Steven Spielberg's current viewpoint of aliens. These looked very, very, very much like the ones from Super8. Not sure if it's a world view thing or if they were just running a sale on that model. Sure, this version has a couple of cool new features but all in all: if you think it through as these aliens having the intelligence and technology to travel across the universe to go mining on Planet Earth, you would think they would have developed better social skills or a wardrobe. Just saying.

OH: did I mention that Daniel Craig wears tight jeans, fitted chaps, a tight shirt and vest? Harrison Ford does his semi-villain. Hubby didn't like Ford; I thought he was ok for the concept. Redemption a the end. OH: and there's a dog! And Adam Beach from Law and Order SVU--I always like him as an actor.

OH: and Daniel Craig in chaps. He has really, really blue eyes. And in this movie: he wears chaps.

P.S. Dax, very brief female nudity, waist up, from the back only. Sorry. But Olivia Wilde is very beautiful.
Edited by tgir, Aug 3 2011, 10:54 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cowboys got a good review in the Times, and said Craig pulled it off (but did not mention the fit of the jeans). I am so over Ford. It is on my list to see. Of course never going to the theater (other than Dragon Tatoo) I doubt I see if for awhile.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> But Olivia Wilde is very beautiful.

I agree.

I think I've probably seen a bit more on the negative side than positive for Cowboys Vs. Aliens, but I expect I'll probably enjoy it...

>> I doubt I see if for awhile.

Ditto, that. I do hope to see Harry Potter 7.2 in the theatre, but I have to watch 7.1 on disc, first...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
For Cowboys Vs Aliens, you really, really must go into it with the right attitude: the title of the film sets the mood you must embrace. Really, it acts like a conventional (emphasis on convention) cowboy movie: big, too influential rancher who likes to throw his weight around (Ford) and mysterious Man With No Name who can kick almost anyone's butt and has A Past. Only, they work together to take down (there was no doubt, right? so it's not a spoiler) an even bigger enemy.

I think Ebert was right that this would have been a better film if it hadn't been aliens, but some other Outside Force. Still, I think that injecting the alien element set the tone they wanted: just something to sit back and enjoy, allow yourself to make all the comparisons you want to the Clint Eastwood films, but without the weight of trying to make everybody not compare it to John Ford's westerns.

Eye candy, sure, but not so in your face as to turn off men. In fact, as probably expected, most of the audience was male (and college aged--but this is a college town). My own 20 something kids scoff at the idea of this movie and hubby went to humor me.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> the title of the film sets the mood you must embrace.

Sure. 'Hot Tub Time Machine' or 'Snakes on a Plane'... you kinda know before viewing if you're the audience for it or not...

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw Harry Potter DH Part 2 and loved it! Of course there was the book loving part of me that hated the changes they had to make but I understand why they changed most of them. Overall though a wonderful end to the series.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Went with the family to see Captain America this week. Loved it, but we are a comic book hero loving family. I didn't know the story behind the character but really liked the movie. A girl waiting out in the lobby told us there was a secret if we watched after all of the credits so of course we stayed behind to watch. It was a trailer for "The Avengers" coming out next year. It's awesome how they're tying all of these movies together and I can't wait for it to come out. We now have to go watch "Thor" and whichever other ones are going to be included.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> We now have to go watch "Thor" and whichever other ones are going to be included.

Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow (from Iron Man 2), Hulk (Mark Ruffalo replacing Edward Norton).

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
NY Times listed Thor as the worst movie of the year so far.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Trailers for Hunger Games are out. Looks like it could be good. I really liked Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone. I am hoping the rest (cast, screenplay, production, all that stuff) lives up to what I think her performance will be.

Again, if you haven't read the books, I highly recommend and sincerely thank KMI again for the recommendation.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Muppets - I loved it. Smiled all the way through...

Sure, not EVERY joke landed, and I'd wished for a little more Neil Patrick Harris (his one line is very funny), or Kyle Gass to join Jack Black, and they'd sing... (tgir - I did like Amy Adams' songs, though...) -- but it felt great to see my favorite felt friends back on-screen. 'Life's A Happy Song' is a great new tune, now stuck in my head... That 'Am I A Man or a Muppet?' number was super-fun, too, and felt very FOTC-ish...

'Small Fry' (the Toy Story Treat) was marvelously funny, too. I'm in a good mood now.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I saw Breaking Dawn Part 1 and Real Steel.

Breaking Dawn Part 1 ended abruptly and had some movie after the beginning of the rolling of the credits. There was more sex and romance in this one than violence.

Real Steel was at the second run theater. It was about an 11 year old boy in an alternative universe where instead of people boxing there were robots doing the fighting. Hugh Jackman plays the father of this boy who he let the mother raise. She died, and he looked after him over the summer, while his aunt and her husband (played by James Rebhorn) were in Europe. During this time, Hugh Jackman's character and the boy become friends and grow to love each other. Evangeline Lilly plays Hugh's love interest. I was surprised at how much I liked Real Steel, but then again Spielberg's name was on it so it was decent.

Also saw The Help at the second run a week earlier and that is worth the rental if you like period pieces.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir
Nov 14 2011, 05:48 PM
Trailers for Hunger Games are out. Looks like it could be good. I really liked Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone. I am hoping the rest (cast, screenplay, production, all that stuff) lives up to what I think her performance will be.

Again, if you haven't read the books, I highly recommend and sincerely thank KMI again for the recommendation.
So looking forward to this one.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax, I was thinking about you specifically when I saw The Muppets and wanted to know what you think. I did love the cameos, especially and agree about everything. Was it perfect? Probably not but it really made me feel happy and very nostalgic, wishing there would be a revival of the Muppets TV show. It was such a gem. I really miss the old variety shows, with great guest appearances, musical guests, variety acts.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Would have liked to have seen a bit more character/story for more Muppets... only Kermit/Piggy/Fozzie got very much... fun tiny arc for Animal... but not enough Gonzo, and... would have been fun to see (while they were scrambling together to put together some acts) new installments of some of the classics, Pigs in Space, or Swedish Chef, or a Bunsen 'n Beaker... but I was still really happy with it, and yeah, hopeful that we'll be getting more now.

Got the soundtrack, had that in my car for a few days this week...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow--the sound track is out already? That was fast. And I am incredibly out of touch: it was probably available before the film itself.

Yes, I would really have enjoyed more of: everything, really. But perhaps that's more a reflection of the quality of the original show, and also speaks to the wonderful work of Jason Segel in this latest. I'm quite grateful that he took on the project and completed it so well. The misses aren't misses at all so much as longings for more.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> the soundtrack is out already? That was fast. And I am incredibly out of touch: it was probably available before the film itself.

Yeah (they usually are). And I had it before I saw it, but didn't listen to it until after (special Amazon Black Friday deal - was only $7 when I got it)... good thing to have driving home from the theatre, though...

Segel really is a savior. Without his prompting, who knows how long it might have been before Disney found a way to properly exploit the Muppets property they've had for a long time... I love that when they came to him, wanted to be in business with him, asked what they could do together - there was just one thing he was interested in...

(Seasons 4 & 5 on dvd, now, please (and 90s Muppets Tonight!, too))

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Someone on a soap board said what happened to the Muppets reminded them to what happened with soaps. Did you see any correlation?

Saw Hugo today in 3D, interesting and very intellectual movie.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not really, except maybe (sad Kermit voice) 'I guess everybody forgot about us.'

Very much looking forward to Hugo. Will trek to a theatre for that one this season...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Am also really looking forward to Hugo, when it gets to my area (not here yet). I live in a small city.

Dax, or anybody else:

My son wants a DVD of Fantasia, as authentic as possible. I know that aficionados object to the over dubbing of Deems Taylor's narration and others object to the edits to obscure what was certainly a racist (but not out of keeping with attitudes of the day) depiction of the centaurs. I don't think I've seen the more recent releases (1990 and 2000) so I can't say if I would notice it. I am almost sure he wouldn't really know the difference if no one told him.

Have you seen any of the versions? Any thoughts? I haven't been able to track down a more authentic version on DVD. I don't think VHS is really viable.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have this edition - all the extras look great (of course, I haven't had time to really go through it thoroughly...) - http://www.amazon.com/Fantasia-Anthology-3-Disc-Collectors/dp/B00004Y7S5/ref=sr_1_8?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1323067831&sr=1-8

Frustratingly, the newest release didn't stay in print very long... came out last November, and is ALREADY 'back in the vault'... http://www.amazon.com/Fantasia-2000-Special-Bette-Midler/dp/B0040QTNSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1323067831&sr=1-1 or blu-ray http://www.amazon.com/Fantasia-2000-Four-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B0040QTNSK/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1323067831&sr=1-2 - I'm sorry I didn't order one before they got scarce - I want that finally-released Dali Destino short, but don't want to pay the inflated prices, so I'll probably end up waiting 'til its next time around...

Yeah, trusting a seems-like-he-really-knows-what-he's-talking-about review on Amazon, all that's missing (and has been missing since 1969) is 15 seconds of material, those racist centaurs... I'm not offended that they're gone from the film now (but would have appreciated their inclusion as a bonus feature, for sure), it's not as egregious as cutting a whole segment from Make Mine Music (for cartoon gunplay) or the baffling continued treatment of Song of the South as this shameful part of Disney's history that couldn't even see release as part of the Walt Disney Treasures series (yet the characters are all part of Splash Mountain, and everybody still somehow knows Zip A Dee Doo Dah...).

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have the blu-ray release that came out last year, as I wanted the Dali short. Couldn't tell you what was cut from the original as I never saw a complete version.

With Song of the South, I've never even seen that movie. I only know Zip A Dee Doo Dah, because my Mom taught me the song as it was in a piano book.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply