Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
In theaters now or coming soon
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 07:23 AM (6,749 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
But I'm a fan, so I'm not unbiased...

He's an excellent filmmaker and storyteller (but the so-full-of-himself thing can be a turn-off, yes).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, if you're not coming out of the theatre anxiously chanting 'Six more hours! Six more hours!', then maybe Jackson could/should have trimmed it a bit...

>> Children are left with films that are stupid, saccharine, and with no joy or wonder or magic (real or imaginary) or wit nor intelligence.

I've heard mostly positive things about Disney's Wreck-It Ralph, and think Pixar is twelve-for-thirteen for magical, joyful films for the whole family ('Cars 2' is the exception).

I understand your call for more quality kids' entertainment, but I'm not surprised by The Hobbit or the comic book movies for casting as wide a net as possible in attracting audiences... it's all about money...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah. As I've gotten older and become more of a worker and a tv-addicted homebody, I'm seeing far fewer movies than I used to... thinking back 15 years ago or so, I'd see all of the Oscar nominees BEFORE the show, and now it's years before I even get to seeing the WINNERS...

I see fewer movies because I stopped going to the theaters regularly (too expensive, too many rude people talking on their phones... and in many cases, I'm going to buy the dvd eventually anyway, so...). I see fewer movies because I watch too much tv. I see fewer movies because... well, a lot of tv IS better, and the good movies that I know ARE out there... they'll wait. I talk tv with my friends (here, facebook, co-workers...). We (most of my circles) DON'T talk about movies much any more... we talk about tv.

It used to be 'oh, I like tv (and soaps) because you can serialize stories, get to know and care about the characters deeper'... but now it's kinda tv-is-better-than-most-films all around... stories, production values, quality of the performances, everything.

Love your drive-in memories. Yeah. That's awesome, and today's kids are missing out on that.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Movies I saw for the first time in 2012 (bolding the ones that were in movie theaters)
-
Bridesmaids (2011)
Catfish (2010)
Final Destination 5 (2011)
Paranormal Activity 3 (2011) (discount theater)
Hugo (2011) (in 3D)
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
The Hunger Games (2012)
Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey (2011)
Prometheus (2012) (in 3D)
Thor (2011)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Insidious (2011)
The Hitcher (2007)
Hostel (2006)
Hostel Part II (2007)
The Last House on the Left (1972)
The Last House on the Left (2009)
The Strangers (2008)
Funny Games (2008) *There was a concentration on horror films over the summer...*
Brave (2012) (in 3D)
Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Hard Candy (2005)
Zombieland (2009)
Piranha 3-D (2010) (not in 3D)
Piranha 3-DD (2012) (not in 3D, on a bootleg dvd)
Machete (2010)
Red State (2011)
Glee: The 3-D Concert Movie (2011) (not in 3D)
The Social Network (2010)
Fanboys (2009)
Moneyball (2011)
Rest Stop (2006)
Lady in White (1987)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) (3D blu-ray)
Django Unchained (2012)

and the 3-D re-releases of Finding Nemo (2003) and Monsters, Inc. (2001)
and what I'll most often cite as my all-time favorite movie, projected hugely in Imax, 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark.

My favorite film of 2011 (so far, still so many I need to see) is Hugo.
My favorite film of 2012... well, I've only seen Hunger Games, Prometheus, Brave, Avengers, Piranha 3DD, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Django Unchained. Seven isn't many. Of these, Brave or Django, but it's probably safe to assume something else will top them...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was very skeptical that I would enjoy the two Hostel films, but I did. They AREN'T all torture and gore (as I had been led to believe) - there was good suspense and humor in them. Actual stories, not just mindless bloodletting. And the sequel provides an extra bit of fun for those who watched Desperate Housewives, as Richard Burgi and Roger Bart have prominent villain roles.

I liked the Saw franchise, too, but they definitely overstayed their welcome with seven films.

The Final Destination films are great fun, but yes, often pretty silly.

I remember you speaking highly of Machete... took me awhile, but I finally got around to it. Great fun.

I enjoyed Hunger Games quite a bit, and am looking forward to the others (and catching up on all the other stuff Jennifer Lawrence has been in, too).

I don't/didn't 'hate' LOTR, but I am something of a dissenting voice among my geek friends and relatives because I didn't 'love' them... I thought they were okay. Too long. I still haven't seen the extended cuts of Two Towers or Return of the King...

I am liking Game of Thrones FAR more than I liked the LOTR movies.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
You didn't like the first Saw? I thought it was really clever and fun (and at least the next two aren't bad, either). Love Michael Emerson in it as the one we're made to think is the bad guy for a good little stretch of time...

I'll see Cabin, of course (big Joss Whedon/Drew Goddard fan).

Last House on the Left was the truly terrible-but-historically-to-horror-'important' directorial debut of Wes Craven. Family of bad guys kidnap, rape, and murder a couple of teen girls and in a spectacular coincidence, end up spending the night at the home of one of the girls... the parents discover what was done and whodunnit, and exact their revenge. It's not well-made (okay, some nice photography, but...). There's some pretty music in it, but it's so tonally 'off' from the story, as is some really awful screwball comedy stuff with a pair of cops that the film cuts away to on occasion, that it's very off-putting... very strange, but an interesting curiosity. Highly controversial at the time, but naturally very tame by today's 'standards'.

Modern remake makes for much better viewing (works fine as a suspense/revenge film), but is, you know, NOT really 'historically important'. But the bad guys are played by Garret Dillahunt (Deadwood) and Aaron Paul (Jesse on BB), so they were of interest to me... the parents are Monica Potter (Parenthood) and Tony Goldwyn (Scandal)...

I do like watching an original and its remake close together or back-to-back, to compare.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir - Gary Ross isn't directing any of the Hunger Games sequels. Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend, Constantine, scores of music videos) is directing the next three (third book splitting into two films).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Going to Les Mis on Saturday. Watching the on-PBS-a-few-weeks-ago 25th anniversary concert from 2010 now, and I'm entirely in love with Samantha Barks, and am very pleased that she's Eponine in the movie, too.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Les Mis was good.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'd been prepared to dislike Crowe, but he didn't really bother me. A weaker singer than some, sure, but I thought he performed it well... but I can't disagree with the criticism that he plays Javert as perhaps more 'grey' than we've come to expect him being in staged productions... his Javert seems to be doubting himself at earlier points than his lyrics will have him doing later on... he's less officious and hard than most Javerts (I really liked Norm Lewis - Senator Davis, Olivia's current boyfriend on Scandal - in the 25th anniversary concert).

Strongly agree Hathaway shouldn't be in a Lead Actress category.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Funny quote from Lawrence on her and Cooper re-teaming again on Serena - 'Yeah, we're working on putting together a little box set'. She says he'll show her stuff he's looking at, and she'll say 'okay, but you can't play my father now that we've played lovers'...

Looking forward to seeing Silver Linings Playbook. First film since Reds in 1981 to get acting nominations in all four categories...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Iron Man Three (in 3D) - It's funny, posters have '3' in the title, but on-screen, it's spelled out as a word...

Great fun. Good story, good bad guy(s), good action, some more funny Downey stuff... My favorite of the three so far... and it'll be fun to see how Joss untangles this story's end at the start of Avengers 2...

-

Furious 6 - Advertises as 'Fast & Furious 6', but the 'Fast &' are skipped on-screen, so 'Furious 6' follows 'Fast Five' in the series...

Fun. You know what you're getting...

So I watched stuff blow up for four and a half hours or so. Was hungry and missed the kitties, or I'd have slipped into The Great Gatsby next (but it wasn't in 3D, and I'd rather...) or The Hangover Part III (making 'Sequel Day' entirely complete...).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't dislike 2, but I didn't/don't remember much about it, either, even shortly after seeing it...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've met your husband, and while 'serious' in appearance, sure, I'm not surprised that he likes some of the 'broader' Will/Zach comedy... that stuff translates well to a lot of people, both likely and unlikely...

The Campaign is one that Crystal was particularly anxious for us to see... while we're several Will Ferrell movies behind, that's one she mentioned several times 'I wanna see that soon'... we laughed at the ads, got free mini-posters in the theatre when we were seeing something else, and laughed again when the dvd ads started playing... I bought the blu-ray over Christmas, cheap, but we didn't have the time to put it in...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Looking forward to Anchorman 2.

I think I'll really like his Spanish-language film, 'Casa de mi Padre'. I expect I'll really like his 'off-brand' film, 'Everything Must Go', based on a Raymond Carver short story... 'Step Brothers' will make me laugh.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wasn't me that saw Flight - that's tgir...

(Although I was made aware that Nadine Velazquez - Catalina from My Name is Earl - has a nude scene in Flight, so... you know. Good movie)

Oh, I forgot about that Stranger Than Fiction (wasn't 'filed' with the other Will Ferrell movies I have to see yet), but I've got it, too.... Yeah, I like when the comedians that can also ACT (without just going for the laughs) do that. Adam Sandler will never be in a movie better than Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love. He'll never top that...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The first season is, but not the last five...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Man of Steel (3D). Good special effects, good cast, but the best word to describe it, I think, is 'overkill'. It's just very busy. Too much. Becomes very exhausting.

I liked some story moments, and not others. I didn't like the What The Bad Guy Wants and Why.

-

I'm much more excited to see Monsters University, of course, but this fit into my friend Walter's schedule better... went with him and Mom. Nice luxury theatre with lounge recliners... ah, very nice...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
There have been multiple movies/stories where zombies can run (I just saw one, Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake...). Give it a pass on that...

I DO hope the movie seemed unrealistic, though. Zombie apocalypses rarely seem like an awesome fun time.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Double-bill today of Monsters University and Pacific Rim. A day of 3D monster movies with Charlie Day in them...

First Pixar without Crystal (well, we were separated for Ratatouille and Wall-E... but for some reason, I think we did see Wall-E together, anyway... she came to Vegas for a visit, maybe...?). Sad about that... but I loved the movie. Very probably my favorite-ever prequel (and before, I think I would have said Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...).

Pacific Rim is a lot of fun. As with Man of Steel not too long ago, I did get a little actioned-out by the end of it... but it's good. Charlie Hunnam and Ron Perlman in the same movie (no scenes together, though). Idris Elba, Max Martini, Rob Kazinsky (new guy on True Blood)...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Conjuring - Good scares. Fun. Lili Taylor is terrific.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Wolverine - Good action, fine story, couple of very attractive ladies in it, but I didn't like it as much as I had hoped I would. It's loosely based on some favorite material from the comics...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The World's End, by the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz guys (I greatly enjoyed Shaun, haven't seen Hot Fuzz yet). Lots of funny stuff. I was getting sleepy towards the end, but think that was more my long day (started really early) and full belly (Olive Garden Never-Ending Pasta Bowl) than the film...

Co-stars Martin Freeman, who I've been watching in Sherlock (4 down, 2 to go, totally loving it) and David Bradley (Broadchurch). It's odd - I guess I knew Bradley was part of the Harry Potter cast (in 7 out of 8!), but forgot... he's so his Game of Thrones character now (though that's just from THREE episodes?) that when I do revisit Harry (and finish it... still haven't seen the last two), I'll be looking at him differently, I'm sure...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dallas Buyers Club. McConaughey is hard to spell, yes. It always looks wrong...

Yeah, sounds good. Great cast. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790636/

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sigh. I want to go see some movies, but I also don't want to leave my kitties... they don't want me to go, either, since I JUST got home from school...

Maybe I'll make Friday 'Movie Day' and get really ambitious... go for seeing three, instead of just two...

Nothing else planned, and then it's just like leaving the kitties for a work day... we can handle THAT...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Thumbs up. Don't think I liked it better or worse than 1, just feels like more of the same piece, with the advantage of having the world and characters already established.

Frozen (in 3D) - Looks great... has some lovely music in it... some good humor... It's good. (I'm way behind on Disney... haven't seen Tangled, or Wreck-It Ralph, or The Princess and the Frog...) The Mickey Mouse short in front, 'Get A Horse', is very clever and fun (and probably works better in 3D than not...).

I'd wanted to do three... the timing was perfect for it, but hunger and missing-the-kitties won out... also, though the timing lined up right, the theater being split off onto separate sides with ticket attendants did not... my second feature was 'on the other side'... will I have to chloroform the guard?... I'm checking out all the posters... girl, sweeping up popcorn, 'Can I see your ticket?' 'Oh, I'm already torn...' 'Just let me see'... I do... 'Okay'. And I'm in. Even though it was for a film on the other side and three hours earlier... guess she only saw the DATE... got lucky. But I would have had to do that AGAIN for feature #3... would have been fun to get away with it twice, but... risk-level seemed high. Also, I was ready to eat...

I'll try to get to Thor someday next week after school...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Whatever cast is on imdb at this point would not be final.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Several of my facebook friends are thumbs down, too. Some very much so. Some are in the middle ('I like it, but it's not the book'...).

I'll probably see 1 soon (gave Mom the 3D blu-ray for her birthday, and we plan to watch it during my 2 week work break), but doubt I'll see 2 while it's in the theatre.

I don't know what I'll think, but I kinda doubt I'll be SO negative...

The passion of some of these reviews... I'm thinking when it's all over that Jackson's LOTR may be 'overrated' and his Hobbit maybe 'too enthusiastically hated'...

On LOTR, I was 'Okay, they're GOOD, but... this is not really my genre'. I respected-but-didn't-love them. I would get bored, a little... (I've only seen the first of the extended cuts... if I ever get around to re-watching the trilogy, I'll watch the extendeds of 2 & 3, but as of now, I've just seen their original edits...)

>> but where were all the songs from the original???

You mean the animated? I wouldn't have expected to hear those...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thor: The Dark World -- The first Thor was my least favorite of Marvel's 'Phase One'... and though I liked this one a bit better, this might end up being my least favorite of 'Phase Two' (Guardians of the Galaxy is gonna be the wild card... might be great, might be awful... it's going to be pretty different). I think my problem with Thor is that (like Superman) we have a hero that is SOOOOOO powerful that his obstacles and villains must be heightened SOOOOOOO much to match him. The stakes are very high, end-of-the-world-or-the-known-universe. It's not enough that Earth is endangered, it has to be nine worlds being plunged into eternal darkness. Motivation of the bad guys - they like the dark better, and they're very mean.

I tend to get bored in stories like that, and always did, even in all the comics I read when I was younger.

But there's some good humor, lots of pretty and ugly things to look at (directed by Alan Taylor, a favorite HBO guy), some good Thor/Loki moments. Mid-credits scene introducing Benicio Del Toro as The Collector (he'll be in Guardians of the Galaxy) was interesting.

Next one is Captain America: The Winter Soldier in April. Preview for it looks really good (though I really enjoyed his first, The First Avenger, for being set in the 40s... don't know if he'll be as much fun in the modern day...).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw two yesterday. Plan for the second was Gravity, but the first feature started late, and then I had to visit the bathroom... didn't want to walk into Gravity late, but I probably only missed it by a minute or two, so... grr. (The duration of ads/previews is way out of hand... a 6:50-scheduled film began at 7:14... 15 minutes, fine, that's normal, but 24? So my 6:15-wanted-to-see... I probably WOULD have been fine just a wee bit before 6:38, when I was 'free'...)

The Wolf of Wall Street -- Awesome. Many great scenes. Unpleasant characters that you're REALLY anxious to see receive their comeuppance...

Again, Matthew McConaughey (a small-but-pace-setting role, akin to Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross) kills it.

Fun contrast to DiCaprio's Gatsby performance.

Great script by Terrence Winter (Boardwalk Empire, Sopranos). Martin Scorsese liberally borrows from himself (it is very much a spiritual sequel to Goodfellas), but that didn't bother me at all...

-

Lone Survivor - Intense, harrowing, sad war film written and directed by Peter Berg. A lot of nifty make-up work by The Walking Dead guys. Good performances, though it's not particularly character-driven...

(Kept thinking of SNL's classic 'Mark Wahlberg Talks To Animals' sketch... early on, these four soldiers in Afghanistan are in hiding... and a herd of goats (and three people) come walking by... really suspenseful sequence, even if you know what's coming... but I kept picturing Mark say 'Hey, Goat. You're a goat. I'm a soldier. Say hello to your mother for me.')

It was good. Probably wouldn't have gotten around to seeing it for a long time, if not for happenstance... but I didn't hold it against it that it wasn't my first or second or third choice to see... but it's just so hard to motivate myself to get out and away from the cats for a few hours on a don't-have-to-work day... AND if I'm gonna pay $8, too, then I'm gonna try to see two...

Really wanna see Picture nominees Gravity, Her (I LOVE Spike Jonze, who acts in a great scene in Wolf of Wall Street...), and American Hustle (and I'll see last year's Silver Linings Playbook from David O. Russell and also starring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence here soon, probably first... have the dvd ready to watch...). Should make another movie-going trip in the next week or so.

(Happy memory... an early (maybe the first?) double-bill in my and Crystal's relationship... 1999... we saw Scorsese's underrated/overlooked Bringing Out The Dead (Nicolas Cage as a paramedic) and Jonze's brilliant first feature, Being John Malkovich... that was a good day)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: