Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Movies; The never ending thread :)
Topic Started: Dec 22 2009, 04:03 PM (6,709 Views)
shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
We've just finished watching Truman Show, I've never seen it before. I adore Jim Carrey in roles like this. The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind is def in my TOP 10 movies.

Back to Truman, it's so sad. Watching him struggling and the crew planning all the moves. Well done. It really got me thinking.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
shelle_cr
Jan 3 2010, 04:33 PM
We've just finished watching Truman Show, I've never seen it before. I adore Jim Carrey in roles like this. The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind is def in my TOP 10 movies.

Back to Truman, it's so sad. Watching him struggling and the crew planning all the moves. Well done. It really got me thinking.
Oh Shelle ITA. The Truman Show is one of my favorite movies. I just love Jim Carey. I just saw him on The Tonight Show and was once again blown away by how clever he is. I just wish he would do more stuff. :wub:

~~~

We saw The Hangover last night... the unrated version. It was good clean fun. LOL! I wasn't expecting to like it at all but once I saw Will from Alias was in it I knew I would love it and I did.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
I got carried away in the NYE topic :) but it fits here better.

I have to admit, I'm more of a "let's see this again" person as with new films, you never know what to expect. So I mostly buy what I've laready seen or starring Michelle Pfeiffer, Audrey Hepburn, Kate Winslet or Colin Firth.

But Truman was from my husband's collection. He always wants to see some anime which I don't most of the time. But he's counted that I have only seen three anime(s) so far and I have to see more.

Though I can recommend all of them - Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies (the best) and Kenshin. The one I didn't like that much was My neighbour Totor - it's for kids. Ha, it's four, not three.

As for the Grave of the Fireflies - from IMDB "Setsuko and Seita are brother and sister living in wartime Japan. After their mother is killed in an air raid they find a temporary home with relatives. Having quarreled with their aunt they leave the city and make their home in an abandoned shelter." The author says that they had to make it animated as they wouldn't be able to find actors to act it the way they needed and I totally agree. This is another must-see film, I would recommend to everyone.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Grave of the Fireflies... I haven't seen it, but just came across it in the book of 101 War Movies You Need To See Before You Die (Mom gave to Dad for Christmas... want to get the available Horror, Sci-Fi, and Gangster editions, too... great little books...).

The Truman Show is good.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a big favorite.
Man on the Moon, also good for those that don't REALLY like Jim Carrey, but...

I like him, but less than I used to.

I haven't seen Funny People yet (but want to)... but the Adam Sandler movie for people that don't like Adam Sandler is Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love. It's beautiful and funny and charming and awesome and a lot of other good words. And it's okay - really - if you don't like Adam Sandler.

I think Sandler's okay. Liked him well enough on SNL, have liked some of the movies (Billy Madison) and hated others (Big Daddy is terrible, terrible, terrible...).

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jan 3 2010, 05:22 PM
I think Sandler's okay. Liked him well enough on SNL, have liked some of the movies (Billy Madison) and hated others (Big Daddy is terrible, terrible, terrible...).
I loved him in The Wedding Singer & 50 First Dates. :wub:

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ha! I have seen Big Daddy countless times, it's one of DH's favorites. I like Adam in the romantic comedies like 50 First Dates and The Wedding Singer. Zohan was stupid, imo, and I don't like movies like that one and there was a similar Ben Stiller movie that I thought was dumb too, even though I like Ben Stiller. DH got Adam Sandler's first movie to add to his collection and omg, what a stupid waste of film that one is. I have a love/hate relationship with his films.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Stiller is another one who I don't like. Hated 50 first Dates, but then I hate romantic comedy. In a bizarre turn around, my husband will sometime put them on the rental list. I think he does it just to irritate me.

About the only comedians I like are Will Ferral and Chevy Chase. Still think the old vacation movies were a riot. Ferral has done some duds too, that Talledega (sp?) movie sucked. Some of Robin Williams work is OK but I prefer him in black humor or as a psycho.

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I can't stand Jim Carrey...I am completely turned off any movie he is in.

Funny thing, he is from my home city, Toronto, Canada, and I know people who went to high school with him, and say very unfavourable things about him.

I don't mind Adam Sandler...haven't hated everything he has done, but don't think he is great either.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jan 3 2010, 12:51 PM
I don't like Sandler at all and most of the movies he stars in don't appeal to me either.

Big agree on the final dance number on Slumdog, loved it.
Krystal--Sandler's movies don't do a whole lot for me either but I have to say that Spanglish is one of my all time favorite movies. Definitely MY favorite Adam Sandler movie and Teo Leoni and Cloris Leachman are both great in it......you should check it out, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I tried to find that dance number from Slumdog on the net (you would think it would be all over the place but it's practically impossible to find). Anyway, in my travels I stumbled on this and it made me laugh....I had to watch it twice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7AuQKFlhXI

:lmfao: Now I want to learn that dance!

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> I loved him in The Wedding Singer & 50 First Dates.

Those are good ones, yeah... he's fun with Drew.

>> Zohan was stupid, imo, and I don't like movies like that one and there was a similar Ben Stiller movie that I thought was dumb too, even though I like Ben Stiller.

Didn't see Zohan, but I do like Zoolander a lot.

>> DH got Adam Sandler's first movie to add to his collection and omg, what a stupid waste of film that one is.

Going Overboard? I didn't see it. I did see his second, Shakes The Clown, a Bobcat Goldthwait vehicle. Both pre-SNL.

I worked with a guy that knew Sandler pre-fame, and didn't like him much.

I like Will Ferrell. I liked Taladega Nights.

I keep meaning to see Spanglish, but haven't yet.

Robin Williams has done a lot of fine dramatic work, and been in some great comedies, of course, but his (and Carrey's) schtick sometimes makes me wanna say 'Just stop. Shut up. That's enough.'

Marg - did you see Eternal Sunshine? (please do, even if you hate Carrey)

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've just bought us tickets for tonight
http://www.breakfastattiffanys.co.uk/home/

As it was via phone and not Internet, I was able to get the tickets for both of us and great seats :) Cannot wait.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked the dumb Ferrel movie that he did with Chris Kattan, Night at the Roxbury, because i loved that skit and the music.

We just rented something called The Ministers with harvey Kytell, I was quite good.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
RE: Will Ferrell. He's fine in some things. I actually enjoyed Elf and it has become part of our regular holiday rotation, although we didn't see it this year and I didn't miss it. My kids loved Anchorman and I watched it and laughed during the one time I saw it. Would not feel I was missing anything if I never saw it again. On the other hand, Stranger than Fiction was superb. I really, really like that one.

Generally speaking, I'm not over-fond of middle aged man-child comedies, no matter who is in the title role.

That said, I can appreciate Adam Sandler and Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison. I actually enjoyed The Wedding Singer. 50 First Dates---I would have liked it a bit better if I didn't cringe a bit at the paternalistic nature of the premise. That bothered me, but Sandler/Barrymnore are good together on screen and there is something sweet/charming/little bit insightful about a guy having to/wanting to make a woman fall in love with him all over again every day....We did like him as Opera Man on SNL.

I liked Spanglish ok. I think that Tea Leoni was very brave to play such an unappealing, unattractive character. Liked every other character much more than I liked Sandlers and didn't see why the other woman fell in love with him. Didn't see Punch Drunk Love, didn't see Reign Over Me although I've heard good things about both. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Re: Jim Carrey. Well, we liked The Mask, but not enough that it's one of those we just have to have/rent again.... I can appreciate his talent and some of his work, but he doesn't appeal much to me.

Which brings up to me this point: I've often felt that for many comics and comedic actors, especially the really over the top ones, there is an underlying anger and meanness in their talent and performance that just reads: asshole to me. I see this in Carrey, Sandler, Ferrell and others. Robin Williams--less so, but perhaps because I grew up with him and perhaps because I've always also seen a certain vulnerability in his performance that I think some others reach for, but never quite get (with a couple of exceptions in performances.)

I'd like to see more good roles for Williams. I will make an effort to see almost any film he's in. Not so with the others mentioned. Those need very appealing co-stars or the presence and insistence of one or more of my kids.
Edited by tgir, Jan 4 2010, 10:25 AM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen Stranger Than Fiction yet. Or Reign Over Me.

Robin Williams recommendation - very little-seen movie called Final Cut. Really interesting little sci-fi gem. In a world where our entire lives are recorded (Truman Show-ish), after you die, your 'life story' is made into a little clip show... Williams is an editor.

Anger/meanness/asshole... I understand your point (and it's an extension of the From Great Pain Comes Great Comedy/Comedians stuff), but I don't agree Will Ferrell's persona or body of work belongs as an example...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ferrell does seem the least ass-holish, I agree. Maybe it's not there at all except in my own tiny little mind. I don't think it's universal among comics, certainly not the ass-hole part. The anger part I think is there for most comics I see, even if it's only anger at some universal absurdity that hurts other people. Sometimes anger is based upon an acute sensitivity to the wrongs of the world, not just the wrongs to the individual. To be a good comic, one must be very sensitive/perceptive of other people's/society's/the world's faults and foibles and to be truly great, of your own. Most people feel some anger over that, even if it's directed towards themselves.

I think you will love Stranger than Fiction.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ok, I just ordered it as well as the Robin Williams one. Or should I say pput it in my list to be sent in the future...

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Stranger than fiction is amazing. I'd lvoe to see ti again, we gotta buy it one day. Great film. Enjoyed it a lot.

As for our theatre tonight - Anna Friel was amazing. Loved the whole play and all the actors. It was closer to the orgininal than Audrey's film. AF is really good and she and Joseph Cross made me cry more than once, excellent adaptation. Also, hubby didn't mind her being naked there :)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Highly jealous of anybody that's seen Anna Friel naked.

I am sad now.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax, my thoughts were with you at the moment.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just saw my boys in Sherlock Holmes. Both gave stellar performances and Robert is stunning shirtless and pantless.

The film was good for what it was, and better if you didn't think of it as a Sherlock Holmes movie. I think it follows the current fashion of being far too in love with technology and cgi than I think is good for film making. But I'm an old fart, so what do I matter?

Saw previews for Ironman2. I am sure I will hate it.

Also saw a preview for a remake of Clash of the Titans with Liam Neeson (obviously still deep in mourning which is clouding his judgment) as Zeus. Hubby laughed out loud. Cackled, really, when he realized the preview was for a remake of the claymation classic.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK, I just saw Stranger Than Fiction and really liked it too. Would have never thought Ferrel would be in a movie of that type so i guess it just got pass me. Good cast. Thanks for the tip!!!

nickischwinn
[ * ]
Dax
Dec 31 2009, 02:15 PM
>> Now I can't even recall but think this is the one filmed in Chicago with the huge truck explosion right downtown? That was awesome.

Hmmm... No, not Iron Man...
I think the movie that had the semi-truck that flipped over and exploded was "The Dark Knight." Batman vs. the Joker.

I agree with whoever liked that RDJ was shirtless and pantless in Sherlock Holmes. I read that Brad Pitt has signed on to be in SH2.

District 9 was good. Weird, but I enjoyed it. I also liked Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, Lakeview Terrace, The Soloist, The Time Travelers' Wife, Taken, Invictus, Star Trek, Transformers 2. Hated The Mist, Harry Potter and a few others that I basically slept through. But realized something important--I need to get a life and quit going to all these movies. :whistle:

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dark Knight... hm. Could be. I don't remember the stunt, but a lot of stuff exploded, for sure. Not in Chicago, but... Krystal? Could that be it? Did you see that one?

I liked District 9 and Star Trek.

Haven't seen any of those others you mentioned (except Harry Potter, and I always enjoy those, some chapters more than others), but I'm anxious to see Taken and The Mist - heard great things about both. I'm not in a hurry for Transformers 2, even though I didn't hate the first like I expected to. I have a friend with one line in The Soloist.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Another must see, if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0sCy_WwDWM

It's called Nine and it's a short movie, about 10 minutes. It got so popular that it was made to a film by that I haven't seen yet. But I strongly recomment not to miss on the short one. I don't want to say anything about it as I think the best impact is watching it and not knowing why, so enjoy.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The original short is on the dvd, which I'll get to 'one of these days'...

'9', not to be confused with 'Nine' (the musical currently on screens, based on '8 1/2') or 'District 9'... lot of 'nine' movies this year...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes Dax, it was one of the Batman movies filmed in Chicago. Did not like earlier ones but liked this one. It was the most recent.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jan 7 2010, 05:00 PM
The original short is on the dvd, which I'll get to 'one of these days'...

'9', not to be confused with 'Nine' (the musical currently on screens, based on '8 1/2') or 'District 9'... lot of 'nine' movies this year...
Thanks Dax.

Yes, it's 9. I haven't seen the one in cinemas, but I loved the short one a lot. I've read the long one was not as good as it didn't capture the atmosphere that well.

But talking about Nine, that's something I want to see, too.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We just saw "A Perfect Getaway" a thriller with Timothy Olyphant. I really liked this one it had a lot of suspense.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
nickischwinn
Jan 7 2010, 02:02 PM
I agree with whoever liked that RDJ was shirtless and pantless in Sherlock Holmes. I read that Brad Pitt has signed on to be in SH2.
RDJ, Jude Law, and Brad Pitt all in the next Sherlock movie. God is smiling on us!!! :applause:

Seriously, I think my new favorite couple is RDJ and Jude Law......they were great together!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well speaking of nudity, Olyphant used to show his tight ass on Deadwood on a regular basis, and I am glad to tell you all that it was featured in this recent Perfect Getaway too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply