Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Movies; The never ending thread :)
Topic Started: Dec 22 2009, 04:03 PM (5,849 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
February.

I get so excited by the well-edited teasers they've been showing the last couple months, even though all of the clips in it are from Season 1...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rocky won the Best Picture Oscar, over All The President's Men, Bound For Glory (I haven't seen that, but I want to... Hal Ashby's Woody Guthrie biopic with David Carradine), Network, and Taxi Driver.

I think people sometimes forget that, after all the sequels... (and also that Rocky lost the big fight at the end).

'Rocky Balboa' (the non-numbered sixth one, from 2006) was very good. I haven't seen the 2008 'Rambo' yet.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I also found Inception tough to follow in parts, but don't think there's any LACK of plot... there's plenty, to go with all of those dazzling effects.

I liked it, probably a lot, but I'm thinking my opinion may change on it (in which direction, I'm not sure) with a second viewing and thorough examination of the dvd extras...

I saw Black Swan the other day. It was really good (I haven't seen Aronofsky's The Wrestler yet). I love Natalie Portman, and Mila Kunis, and ballet dancers in general.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I did not like the Carrey/Howard Grinch movie. Great art direction and set design, and the portion that adapts the story we all know was... okay, but the other 2/3rds of the movie was not fun for me.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked most of The Fifth Element (Milla Jovavich... yum), but remember not liking Chris Tucker's stuff much...

I like Avatar. It's very pretty to look at. But would I have LOVED it if I were a lot younger? Probably...

Pretty good Jim Carrey - The Mask, Liar Liar, The Cable Guy. Best performance is Man on the Moon. The Truman Show is good, too, and The Majestic. Very best movie he's ever made - and likely ever will - was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

The second Ace Ventura movie is a go-to when having an All-Time Worst Movie discussion...

KMI mentioned Galaxy Quest. Love it.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I do love Christmas Vacation, yes.

Carrey as a villain... Count Olaf in Lemony Snicket, Grinch, Riddler... scanning imdb, I don't see any 'serious' villain roles (or I didn't see the movie, anyway). But I did notice I earlier missed my absolute favorite of his movies (Eternal Sunshine), so I edited above...

Galaxy Quest is great fun... there's this cheesy 60s sci-fi show (think Star Trek), and... it's real. Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Enrico Colantoni, Justin Long...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I love Chase's Vacation and Christmas Vacation (and have soft spots for the second and fourth, too, though not great movies) and Fletch...

There's Something About Mary and Kingpin are very funny, yes. And Home Alone.

I didn't hate the first couple Fockers movies. They're funny enough.

De Niro in comedy took a little getting used to, and there have been some bad ones, absolutely, but my respect for him hasn't diminished any.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked Bandits, but don't remember it that well...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Black Swan is good... I fully expect True Grit to be, too...

I'd like to get to Harry Potter 7 soon... and I think Tron: Legacy should be fun...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yogi Bear looks beyond terrible. But this is very funny - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6w0r-ScEG4&feature=youtu.be

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
A distaste of/for westerns should easily be negated by this one being from the Coens.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yup, a second Sherlock is coming. Playing Moriarty -- Jared Harris (Lane Pryce on Mad Men) - perfect.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> Oh, I should ask, is this thread meant for discussions of movies based on books? Or just a generic thread for movies and books?

This thread was an announcement that there is now a movie/book section.

>> OK, I am posting here instead of previous threads.

I thought that was an odd move. The movie thread is still the best spot.

I love Will Ferrell.

I'm 'eh' on Mark Wahlberg as an actor... loved him in Boogie Nights, have liked him in some things (The Departed) and hated him in others (The Big Hit)... his tv co-producer resume is pretty incredible now, though, with his company in part bringing out HBO's Boardwalk Empire, In Treatment, Entourage, and How To Make It In America...

I imagine I'd enjoy The Other Guys, but it'll probably be quite awhile before I get around to seeing it..

[Dax: This was in that wrong spot, and then gate moved it here, so it's no longer applicable.]

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Except since Gate moved it, everything I said (that wasn't about the movie or Ferrell or Wahlberg in general) to answer lexilou is a 'never mind'...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
That's what we're in now. Gate created a Movies & Books area. This is the movie thread of that area (yes, it's the same thread as before, but it's out of 'General Discussion' now...).

[Dax: Krystal either completely ignored this answer, or didn't understand me...]

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
bl - Sure. Sounds good.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read the first link (but not yet the full piece by Dylan).

Second piece looks long (but I really liked Weide's Woody documentary a few years ago).

I'll come back after reading them both in full.

I have always kinda fallen on the Mia-really-coached-Dylan side of things. I don't think Woody would sexually assault a seven year-old.

I love a lot of his films, but I do think I can separate 'man' from 'work' (I like Polanski's films... but there's no question - he's a rapist).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dylan's piece is persuasive and sad.

But...

>> But if Mia’s account is true, it means that in the middle of custody and support negotiations, during which Woody needed to be on his best behavior, in a house belonging to his furious ex-girlfriend, and filled with people seething mad at him, Woody, who is a well-known claustrophobic, decided this would be the ideal time and place to take his daughter into an attic and molest her, quickly, before a house full of children and nannies noticed they were both missing.

This is more so. That scenario is just too terribly implausible.

Moses Farrow calling out 'brainwashing' is good, too.

Bottom of the article is really priceless. 'Mia is cuckoo-bananas' is an easy conclusion. (I have a facebook friend that had always taken Mia's side of things, but this article has made him reconsider, and he now has 22 Woody Allen films to catch up on..)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> The author of the counter piece seems to believe that he would have known if Woody Allen were the kind of man to molest a child. The arrogance of that stance is overwhelming

I don't see that being in it at all.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Philip Seymour Hoffman is a big loss. Drugs. What a waste...

I haven't seen the movies he got Oscar nominations for, or Capote, for which he won.

Won - Actor - Capote (2005)
Nominated, Supporting Actor - Charlie Wilson's War (2007)
Nominated, Supporting Actor - Doubt (2008)
Nominated, Supporting Actor - The Master (2012)

Saw these before I was aware of him -
Leap of Faith (1992), Scent of a Woman (1992), The Getaway (1994), When a Man Loves a Woman (1994), Nobody's Fool (1994), Twister (1996)

First big impressions made in Boogie Nights (1997) and Happiness (1998) (and then saw PTA's Hard Eight from '96 around that time...)

Now a 'star' - Patch Adams, Flawless, Magnolia, State and Main, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Almost Famous, Big Lebowski...

Sigh. I always liked seeing him.

Upcoming Showtime series Happyish is probably dead now.

Hunger Games 4 wasn't done filming... wonder what they'll have to do...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
One of my friends posted that that Long Day's Journey was his favorite night of theatre ever...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Don't know if he and his girlfriend had separate places, but the news said he was supposed to pick up his kids this morning, and a friend went to check on him when he didn't...

Three kids. So sad.

(Sounds as though MOST of Hunger Games 4 has been shot, but he did have about a week's worth of work left on it...)

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://entertainment.time.com/2014/02/05/aaron-sorkin-philip-seymour-hoffmans-death-saved-10-lives/#ixzz2sUKg4p00

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/opinion/sunday/woody-allen-speaks-out.html

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read the 10 Facts piece, but not yet the Orth-on-the-Farrows profile from last November's VF.

Strongly agree with tgir that it's impossible to state anything with certainty because we weren't there.

For me, though I fully understand the difference between a man and his art... Woody's work IS so 'personal' that it DOES feel like I know something of his 'character' from having watched most of his films. I 'trust' him as much as I trust any stranger I've never met.

Woody's knocks at Mia's character (her age when she first got involved with Frank, her history with the Previns, Ronan's probable paternity) are way 'off-topic', but do serve to make her a less reliable witness (or 'victim' figure).

I do believe Dylan is telling her truth, but I do strongly doubt that what she believes happened actually did.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'd be interested in seeing Escape Plan (I like escape-from-prison stories).
I want to see the Carrie remake, for sure (just re-watched the DePalma recently, with friends...).
I'm sure I'll love Nebraska.

-

Oscars last week -

7 for Gravity, including Director.
3 for 12 Years a Slave, including Picture.
3 for Dallas Buyers Club.
1 for Her.
Nothing for the other five Picture nominees... I had thought American Hustle would get something...

2 for The Great Gatsby.
2 for Frozen. (Hey, I've seen these two...)

I got 18 out of 24 on the party's ballot. The winner just missed TWO, and one lady just missed three. I used to do REALLY well on these, but that was also during the time when I'd see all the movies before the show. Once, I got either a perfect score (or missed one, I'm not sure which) and won a newspaper contest... won free movie tickets for a year, a cool leather jacket, a meal somewhere, I think... big prize package.

Ellen was funny. Maybe 12 and a half minutes on the pizza bit was too much, but it was funny - Crystal loved Big Mama's and Papa's Pizza (I liked it, too, but she particularly loved that place over others we'd get) and the one we'd go to isn't there any more (don't know if there are any still in town or not - haven't looked yet), closed sometime last year while I wasn't passing it every week on my way to the wax museum for work... staff inside was always super-friendly - and foreign - so I wonder if the co-owner/delivery guy Ellen brought out WAS one of the guys I 'knew' from here (it's a chain, but a small one...).

Wow, Kim Novak looks terrible.
Sidney Poitier looks better, but... you know. Getting up there.

The heroes montages were okay.

I liked all the songs... 'Happy' is pretty infectious (was at a school this week that plays it with morning announcements...)... I like the Karen O. song - I know I'm gonna love the movie... always love U2 (new album being pushed to '15 - darn...)... Travolta's massacre of introducing Idina Menzel brought about the best jokes in the last week... Pink was great on 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow'... Bette Midler doing 'Wind Beneath My Wings' fine, but an odd choice to have it be AFTER the 'Dead Show', instead of during (Dennis Farina was the most egregious omission, I think...). Glad Bill Murray gave Harold Ramis a cool shout-out.

Don't know which winners I'll agree or disagree with until I see the movies, but I'm a happy big fan for Spike Jonze, winning for his Her screenplay. Acceptance speeches by Leto, Nyong'o, and McConaughey were fun/gracious/cool... can't remember much about Cate Blanchett's now, a week away from it...

-

The TCM documentary '... And the Oscar Goes To...' was really fun.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Nebraska was ALSO one of the nominated movies, you know.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: