Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Movies; The never ending thread :)
Topic Started: Dec 22 2009, 04:03 PM (6,565 Views)
Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gatekeeper
Dec 27 2010, 03:40 PM
Just got back from 'Black Swan'. It was really good. I don't want to say too much about it but if you are looking for a 'feel good' movie this is not it.
Good, glad to hear your thoughts. That definitely means True Grit is next on the list. I'm definitely in the mood for "feel good". True Grit wasn't your ordinary Western in my book. It was more about the relationships between those three people--the young girl, the wily, drunken ex-Sheriff, and the Texas Ranger all looking for the same bad guy for three different reasons. It made me laugh and it made me cry, I'm hoping the remake does the same.

I loved It's Complicated...thought Meryl Street, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin were simply sublime. I still laugh when I think about the pot scenes and the love scenes between Meryl and Alec. Oh my!

So tonight we watched The Town with Ben Affleck, Jeremy Renner (dude from The Hurt Locker), and Jon Hamm, (hottie whoredog from Mad Men). Excellent movie.....two thumbs up! Good story, a lot of suspense, a surprisingly touching romance. I found myself totally rooting for the bad guy (well, one of them at least) and against the good guy. Ben Affleck cowrote, directed, AND starred in this movie. Impressive! :clap:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gatekeeper
Dec 28 2010, 10:24 AM
Krystal
Dec 28 2010, 10:15 AM
I've heard there is a new type of theater that serves drinks and food in big comfy chairs (no kids allowed), we may try that.
Now that is my kind of theater. I remember going to a theater like that 20 years ago. LOVED IT! Of course it is long gone. :(
We've got a theater like that down at Fort Myers Beach. I've been a couple of times but it's not as great as you would think. The waitress is always delivering food or drinks to people so even though it's stadium seating, it's still distracting. Kind of cool, though. It's very small and intimate. The first time I was there, Brian Littrell from the Backstreet Boys was there with his then girlfriend--now wife. That's about it for stars on our little beach! :P

So today we watched Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey and Jude Law for the second time. The first was in the theater. I must say that I liked it even better upon second viewing. Does anyone know if they're planning a sequel? They certainly set it up for one. I just love these two guys together, they are so funny!

I'm loving the holidays with all of our shows being off. It's great to finally get caught up on some movie watching. I think tomorrow is True Grit day.......I'll keep ya'll posted!!!

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Dec 29 2010, 12:43 AM
Yup, a second Sherlock is coming. Playing Moriarty -- Jared Harris (Lane Pryce on Mad Men) - perfect.
Get outta town! He'll definitely make for a creepy villain. Can't wait for the new Sherlock Holmes!

We finally saw True Grit today. Hubby and I both LOVED the little girl who played Mattie in the film. She's an unknown but really good. I was a bit leery about Jeff Bridges taking on such an iconic role as Rooster Cogburn but was pleasantly surprised. He was fabulous. Matt Damon was okay. The writing for his character wasn't as good as it could (should) have been. I was prepared to love him and be so-so with JB but it was just the opposite. They majorly changed the ending and I can't figure out why, I don't think it made the story better. Everything else was almost exactly the same (I've seen the original more times than I can count!) so I just don't get why they did that. I DID cry at the end, just not for the same reason as I did for the original!

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gatekeeper
Dec 30 2010, 06:45 AM
I thought the Town was good... not great but good.

I saw The Book of Eli last night on HBO and loved it. Now that was a great movie. I just love Denzel Washington & Mila Kunis.
I thought Ben A. was SMOKIN' hot in The Town. That may or may not have colored my thinking in regards to this movie. :bunny:

So The Book of Eli is good? I need to record it then before the holidays are over! I've seen it playing and had no interest in recording it, probably because I have no idea what it's about.

Tgir--the changes I'm talking about mostly involve the death of one of the characters in the first movie. I thought it made it more powerful. Even though I didn't want that person to die! I totally agree about the new girl being totally superior to Kim Darby. No comparison!

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh man......talk about clunkers. We watched 17 Again with Zac Efron and Matthew Perry. HAWW-RIBLE! As if I thought it wouldn't be. But I ran out of movies to watch and was desperate! I don't get the big deal about Zac Efron. He's cute but he's not all that. And please, we're expected to believe that Matthew Perry looked like ZE when he was 17? As if! :no:

Last night on a whim I recorded a Pink concert she did in Australia from her Funhouse tour and I have to say that the entire thing was AMAZING. This is the tour where she does the whole Cirque du Soleil thing and sings while twirling in the air upside down. It was a REALLY good concert, wish I could have seen that live. Even the songs I didn't know were entertaining. I'll never forget watching her do this performance live at the Grammys last year. It still gives me goosebumps it's so beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3stsDXki__U

We never made it to Black Swan and now my vacation is over. Damn, that went fast!

P.S. It's official. I have NO desire to see Inception. Ever. Haha!

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
We finally saw The Book of Eli the other day. I didn't love it but I liked it. Denzel kicked ass.....I definitely loved THAT!

It's funny about Will Ferrell. I loved him to death on SNL, especially his Dubya parodies but his movies pretty much all suck.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: