Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Movies; The never ending thread :)
Topic Started: Dec 22 2009, 04:03 PM (6,597 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Nebraska was ALSO one of the nominated movies, you know.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Right. I get that anyhow.

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal, I agree about American Hustle. A fun movie, but not a lot of substance. I also thought Jennifer Lawrence was wrong for her role, although must admit I have never been a big fan of Lawrence (except for her role in Winter's Bone). Don't care much for Bradley Cooper either.

Still want to see Nebraska and Dallas Buyers Club.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
ITA, Winter's Bone was the only thing I liked her in. I don't see her lasting. Couple years it was jessica Chastain in everything, now where is she? Same with Lawrence I predicit.. Cooper doesn't do it for me either.

Yes, the other 2 are much better.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought Lawrence was wonderful in Silver Linings Playbook (I am not a Bradley Cooper fan but he was tolerable). I didn't see American Hustle so I can't comment. She is excellent in the Hunger Games franchise (although the films are not for everybody, clearly). Didn't see Winter's Bone was by far the best and most substantial role I've seen her in.

Chastain has several films post production or pre-production. She gets a lot of work. I've really liked her in all the roles I've seen her in.

The big issue for me is that there are so few films with good female roles. Hollywood thinks nothing of having film after film after film with all male or virtually all male casts released (to great praise and bigger box office receipts) but put more than 2 women in prominent roles in a film and it is almost always consigned to chick flick hell and seen as novel and pretty often held to far higher standards than 'regular'--that is all/mostly male films. And of course women are either rape victims, whores, crazy or mothers, or some combination of these prototypes.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Going with the kiddos tonight to see Divergent. I'm kind of skeptical as I'm a huge book can and I know it's off of the book but I'm trying to keep an open mind lol.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
TGIR, I agree. There was an article in the Times about how few minutes of screen time women have even when they are "leading". Not many good roles for mature women either, even though Stallone,
Arnold, Bruce and other male fogeys keep getting lead parts (even if the movies, well, suck).

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Divergent was ok. They changed a lot. Was probably a better movie if you hadn't read the book lol.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jenni
Mar 21 2014, 10:14 PM
Divergent was ok. They changed a lot. Was probably a better movie if you hadn't read the book lol.
Yeah I was wondering about that. I probably will wait for it to come out on DVD or something.

Still not happy with 3rd book. ^o)

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I would wait for the DVD. I mainly went because Corrina wanted to see it. I was all for boycotting it because they didn't have set actors for the Dauntless born initiates.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Went to see Non-Stop with Liam Neeson, etc . Plot. Was a little thin on logic but plenty of thrills, red herrings, and surprises. Good enough for its kind but no new ground covered.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We saw a strange on "Odd Thomas", which was just like the Dean Koonz book. It was just OK. I wouldn't have got it if we hadn't read and liked the books.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rented Gravity. It was pretty good, some thought it was dull, I didn't think so. Bullock is no Sigorney Weaver but there was enough action and suspense. Still liked DBC the best so far.

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I saw Dallas Buyers Club last night and thought it was great. Matthew McConaughey did a good job, but thought that Jared Leto was outstanding in a very difficult role. Both deserved their Oscars.

Have not seen Gravity -- that type of movie doesn't really interest me that much.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: