Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Movies; The never ending thread :)
Topic Started: Dec 22 2009, 04:03 PM (5,877 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I wish we'd discuss movies here. I mostly rent and have not been to the theater for years, but tempted to see AVATAR. Anyone see it yet?

We just rented Star Trek and I loved it. It was not great but i loved the way they wrote the young characters close to the history of the old ones. (Unlike GL, who did not consider history) This made it for me. Re the actors,I loved all of them but loved the Kirk one the least, which is funny as Shatner was my least fave on the old show.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
My hubby is desperate to see Avatar, 3D in IMAX, but it's fully booked here :(

The films I've seen in cinema this year:

Revolutionary road - Kate Winslet and Leonardo di Caprio - loved it, but I'll need a year or two before buying it and watching again
The Reader - Kate again, the same about the DVD.

Both beautiful films, but so depressing. Amazing performances. I really recommend these two to anyone who likes, well anything. It's a must see.

He's just not that into you - a great comedy for women from people behind the Sex and the City (now I'm not sure if they only wrote the book or did both the book and the film), I bought the book, too. FUnny and so true though I would recommend it for single women, it doesn't apply on the married ones, but the reading is still nice.

Harry Potter - not the best in the series for me, I read all the books but I felt lost and the moving scenes I remembered most from the book disappointed me in the film :(

More later.

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just saw Harry Potter, but wasn't crazy about it. I don't know why, since I love the series.

Wanting to see New Moon, but will wait for dvd. Sigh. DH doesn't want to sit in a theater of teenage girls.

Not interested in Avatar, simply because I'm not into scifi. Heard the effects were awesome, storyline not so much.

Dh wants to see Sherlock Holmes, looks interesting.

We don't go to the theater often so most of what we see is OnDemand and since they just closed our video store, I think we will try Netflix. I'm anxious to see Inglorious Bastards, mostly because of Brad Pitt. Has anyone seen this?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have Blockbuster online and Inglorious is on the way. Just watched Public Enemies last night and liked it too, though it was a bit long. Could have used some editing I thought. I almost always love Depp.

I love Sci Fi but good Sci Fi is hard to come by, plus I don't like Fantasy (go figure), so Potter and Lord of Rings etc leave me cold. With Avatar, I was sondering if i would consider it too fantasy like. The I Max would be an awsome way to see it for sure.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's funny, I love sci-fi but I also have no desire to see Avatar. I'm waiting for Sherlock Holmes with MY Robert Downey, Jr. to get released Christmas day. It looks fabulous!

Lexilou--I saw Inglorious Basterds at the theater. It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be but it had some pretty funny parts. And naturally, being a Quentin Tarantino movie, it had some fabulously gory moments.

I also want to see Nine. I love musicals when they're well done and hopefully this one will be terrific since it's directed by Rob Marshall. He did such a great job with Chicago.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I see so few movies in the theater and not that many on DVD, either.

I DID see Prime Suspect, which I thought was really, really good. A bit long, perhaps, but good. Depp always impresses me by his ability to become completely different characters in each of his films.

Can't wait to see the new Sherlock Holmes although at least one of my sons is lobbying hard to get me to boycott what he considers will certainly be a terrible bastardization of Sherlock Holmes legend.

However, since it has MY (please get that one straight, Ms. Cheryl--he's mine) Robert Downey Jr. and MY Jude Law, I don't care if they are reading the telephone book. I'm going.

Oh, I just received a copy of District Nine which I purchased for my son for Christmas. Ha! Score: He ordered it for a friend for Christmas but his copy wasn't going to arrive until after XMas. Won't he be shocked to know that poor old mom got the goods! Plus, I really have wanted to see it but didn't get to it in the theatres.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have District 9 on my list too. Speaking of movies to avoid, just watched Terminator Salvation and it was terrible.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Planning on seeing Avatar, Blindside, and Invictus during Christmas break.

Also looking forward to Holmes.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
From what they have at our locel cinema now, I'd like to see Sherlock Holmes and New Moon, but surprisingly, the hubby doesn't want to see NM with me. As for now, he says it's because he hasn't seen Twilight. I'm expecting a DVD under the tree so he won't be able to use this excuse after tomorrow :)

Also, looking forward to Nine, but not yet in my cinema :(

I'm trying to think about other films I've seen this year and cannot remember them.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't get to the movie too often but I do watch a lot of movies at home.

We recent saw Bruno and I have to say it's the worst movie ever made. Not sure what hubby was thinking when he wanted to see it but he also agrees with me on worst movie ever.

I recently Angels and Demons and thought it was amazing. Loved it!

Then there is the Christmas movies that are playing 24/7. We watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and just laughed at the whole thing. I must have seen it 20 times but I haven't watched it through in a while. Great fun.

~~~

Cheryl & tgir, I once again feel sorry for you 2 and your delusional view of the world. For the record and the billionth time, Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law & Johnny Depp are mine ... ALL MINE!!!

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
RD Jr and I are soul mates. I know it and nothing you can say will make me doubt our deep, intense, personal bond. You can have Johnny Depp, but there's nothing and no one who can come between me and Robert.

Oh: saw Julie/Julia (or the other way round) and hubby and I both liked it. Weirdly enough, as time goes by, he enjoys more typical 'chick flicks' and I enjoy a good action/bad ass film. For instance: He hated Judgment Day and I loved it. Don't want to see it again, but loved it. And for some bizarre reason I really like ConAir.

Saw Taken and I liked it more than hubby, but I was only expecting to see Liam Neeson (also mine) and improbable action and I got it.

Saw Knowing and we were both disappointed. Very disappointed in Coraline but my son loved it. I found it very disturbing, which was ok, but somehow, it missed. Liked Defiance.

LOVED Gran Torino. Excellent film although I was/am upset that it had to resort to a woman being raped as a tool of revenge/control of other people.
Edited by tgir, Dec 23 2009, 12:35 PM.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir
Dec 23 2009, 12:33 PM
RD Jr and I are soul mates. I know it and nothing you can say will make me doubt our deep, intense, personal bond. You can have Johnny Depp, but there's nothing and no one who can come between me and Robert.
Awww... you are so cute in your delusion tgir but I'll give you RD Jr for the holidays. Hugs and xoxox! :xmaspresent:

Deleted User
Deleted User

Hey now! I don't know what you all are doing or thinking but while you've been typing away here...Robert Downey Jr...yep...just left MY house. He's mine chickadees lol!! I had him bare ass in the snow! Yep that's right! Gave him some country luvin! Wait...hmmm ok ok...it was just a dream but it was a good one! lol

I can't really join in with your movie post...heck I don't even know what most of them are that you've been talking about. Nine,Avatar, Blindside, and Invictus? Haven't heard of them yet. I'm always so behind on this stuff. I did see a preview of Sherlock...only cuz my husband called me in to see it. I wonder if I miss all this cuz i FF commercials?

Usually if my son tells me about a movie that's how I hear about it or if I read the book like with New Moon. I haven't been to a movie since ...I think Exorcist back in the 70's....well i do think I took my kid to some disney crap when he was real young. I've stopped getting them on Pay per view because usually I'm a bit disappointed and think that I wasted the money and should have waited for HBO to have it. I think the last one I got on pay per view was Sex and the City and while I thought it was ok...coulda waited till it hit hbo.

tgir...I just taped Taken and Gran Torino will probably watch them in the next couple of days.
Quote Post Goto Top

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
For Taken, make sure you keep your expectations low.

Gran Torino is very good, but it is a little taste specific. I'm guessing if you're taping from broadcast, then a LOT of stuff will be bleeped out of both films, especially Gran Torino.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dorian Gray!

That's what I've seen the last time in our cinema. You can keep Johny, Robert and Jude, but Colin is all miiiiiiiiiiiiiine. My precious :)

Also, still under the influence, so Robert Pattinson is my precious as well.

As you can see, quite reasonably, I'm choosing what belongs to "my" continent :)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We are seeing a lot of rentals as it is the winter break in TV. I liked Gran Torino but was sad in the end. Thought it was really good though would have preferred that Clint kick some ass.

Bruno, mostly sucked but I got a few chuckles out of it and was amazed he did not get killed when he said he traded the black baby for an I Pod.

I don't like chick flicks but sometimes we get them due to lack of slection. Saw the Proposal, have to say to me they are all the same. I'd rather watch reruns of Law and Order.

Saw Sunshine Cleaning, thought it was so so.

I have been home some doing things and have had some of the Chevy Chase "vacation" movies on. They are stikk funny as hell, and find myself sitting down to watch them. Also the "Home Alone" movies. They were funny too.

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Uh, I called Edward awhile ago. You can have Robert, but hands off Edward.

DH and I both liked Gran Turino, tho he liked it more than me. I don't think it's on the networks yet, so perhaps lexilani taped it from HBO? If so, then she won't miss anything. I hate when they bleep or delete parts out, but I do appreciate it since I have young kids. We just watch OnDemand or rent the movie. Well, not so much rent now since the store closed. That trend kinda stinks. Sometimes I want to go peruse the store for a movie and now there is like one place I can go without signing up for a new membership. :(

Deleted User
Deleted User

yep...i taped movies from hbo or max, or one of the other movie channels. never from regular tv. no caps cuz one of my pugs is laying on my right arm and hand....daddy cut one of her nails too short made it bleed like it was a head cut and she's very traumatized ..my poor little girl.
Quote Post Goto Top

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Poor her. Our Cliff needs his haircut and nails done, too.

We'll have to discuss this Edward thing later.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir
Dec 23 2009, 05:15 PM
For Taken, make sure you keep your expectations low.

I agree, thought it would be better. Was OK though, I do like Liam a lot, however, it was a bit much to swallow when he would beat up 5 or 6 guys or they were shooting at him with automatic weapons and no one could hit him!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Angels and Demons was beter than the Davinci Code, but I did not totally love it. I just finished the lastest Dan brown book, the Lost Symbol, and it ot a bit preachy for me, but I am sure they'll make it into a movie too.

Just saw District 9 and LOVED it. It stars no one you know, and starts out like a documentary. I thought I would not like it, then it grabbed me and I could not take my eyes off it. Interested in other's views of this movie. it is strange, and the main character really reminds me of the main character in Breaking Bad (my fav TV show).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm anxious to see Avatar.

I loved Inglorious Basterds.

I liked District 9, but maybe not quite as much as I'd heard that I would...

Enjoyed Abrams' Star Trek a lot (not a big fan - nor a detractor - of Star Trek... I liked the old show, have seen about half of the movies, and saw little of the later series... I expect I'd like Star Trek if I ever took the effort to 'get into it', I just didn't) -- it's a good movie.

I liked Coraline a lot.

I thought Bruno was pretty funny. Gate, there are many, many FAR worse movies out there...

Harry Potter 6 was okay.

Think that's all I've seen of the recent ones under discussion here...

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We went to see Jim Carrey's A Christmas Carol in 3D. This is the second 3D movie I've seen in the theatre and like the first, there were some parts where I had to close my eyes. I got a little motion sick, and plus I'm terrified of heights and the flying through the air was a little too realistic for me! Very well done in 3D.

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
We've got IMAX 3D tickets for New Year's Eve, well, afternoon for Avatar, hubby is beyond happy :)

Deleted User
Deleted User

We finally got around to watching Mr Brooks...recorded from HBO. I really enjoyed it and liked seeing Costner in such a different role. I love Demi so it was great to see her in it too. What was up with William Hurt's role? Was he his imaginary friend? Kept thinking they were going to show us he was the first person Mr Brooks killed. I thought the ending with the daughter was the real ending and I told my husband that I'm glad it wasn't . He looked at me and said, But he's a serial killer...I told him I can't help it...I love Kevin Costner lol.

feels like a million years ago but I saw The Stones at IMAX in Baltimore...enjoyed it very much.
Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked Mr Brooks a lot, it was really different for Costner, and a different type of movie period.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lexilani--I love, love, LOVED Mr. Brooks and was surprised that it didn't do all that well at the box office. Granted, it was an independent, low-budget film but still.....it had a lot of star power and great performances. Dane Cook shocked the hell out of me with his role in that movie (he was amazingly good) and Kevin Costner and Wm. Hurt were sublime......they were ALL great!
Quote:

What was up with William Hurt's role? Was he his imaginary friend?

No, he was his "evil" alter ego. I can't remember if you watch Dexter or not but it's similar to the dad in Dexter. The dad is Dex's darker side always trying to reason with his "good" side. Those conversations between Hurt and Costner's character were a riot.

So we saw Sherlock Holmes the day after Christmas and it did not disappoint. I would actually see it again because I think I would probably get more out of it on a second viewing. There is a LOT of dialogue, a LOT of action, the "bromance" between Sherlock and Dr. Watson (Seriously, I think Jude Law almost stole the show from Robert Downey, Jr.!), was fun, funny, entertaining, sweet. The villain is great and best of all, it left room for a sequel!!! :clap:

Oh! And I forgot to mention that Rachel McAdams was perfect in her role as well. Two thumbs up to Sherlock Holmes!

P.S. Forgot to mention that we watched Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler the other night. Great performance but what a depressing movie. I can't believe that Marisa Tomei has such a kick ass body like that in her mid 40s. Holy cow! And has no qualms about show it. Yes, I am jealous! :P

Deleted User
Deleted User

Cheryl yep makes sense about William Hurt being the evil alter ego...don't know why I expected a little twist from the role. It didn't take away from the movie for me though. I finally saw a preview of the movie Avatar...don't think that is one I'll see. Looked like those toys I used to buy my son when he was little. lol

I keep hearing good things online about Sherlock..that's one I'll probably get on PPV.

Not sure where to stick this but I saw that Jeff from BB is tweeting again. So I guess that means TAR is done filming. Russell just tweeted to him this morning about seeing the show about the Penguins lol
Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We rented Inglorious Basterds, and it was a very entertaining movie although a bit too long. I hesitate to call it great, but it was you know very Quentin Tarentino.

I'll wait to see Sherlock, although I wait to see almost everything.

I thought the Wresler was very depressing, great performances though. Reminded me of Million Dollar Baby, also depressing. Big agree on Tomei's body, she looked great.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Watching a lot as I said with the decent shows on hiatus. Saw something called
Carriers, a bacteria takes the world type. AWFUL!!!!! Avoid it!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: