Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Buchanan Buzz; Spoiler-free OLTL discussion
Topic Started: Nov 23 2010, 11:11 AM (3,398 Views)
blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
So the Vickerman premiere? Thoughts on that one...

Mia Korf as Blair...HA HA HA!

I felt badly for Markko, and I like him with a beard.

Howarth finally with his peeps!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finally......they all see Howarth! I was beginning to wonder if that would ever happen.

Mia Korf as Blair was hysterical.

Though it was campy and silly I have to admit I was glued to the TV the last couple days for Vickerman. Soaps do so few big gatherings anymore so I always enjoy when we get most of the cast together.

Markko looked cute with the beard. Also thought it was a nice touch to revisit that Ford used to be Markkos film teacher, after all the stuff with Tess I almost forget about that.

Next week should be fun.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
While I enjoy OLTL, I can totally understand why some people hate on it. Camp is not everyone's thing along with the random sexual references like what kind of food Cris was making at the diner. I was OMG about that.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
I dont mind some camp as long as its not all camp all the time. They also came with the drama on Monday so it was nicely balanced.

Now about Monday...I so enjoyed RHTodd finally getting to interact with everyone. It felt a little rushed and there wasnt that classic back from the dead gasp moment since everyone knew the guy with his face was a possiblity but it still worked for me. As much as I grew to like St. John as Todd seeing Howarth back in the mix makes me realize just how much I missed him in the role.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm no longer recording the show daily. But I did find Friday's on SoapNet after you two wrote about the "Vickerman" premiere. Too much Nate/Danielle crap for me.

I did watch Monday's show. There were a couple good moments. Most notably, when Blair told Howarth's Todd that she didn't know if he was really Todd and he started to tear up. That felt real to me. And when TSJ's Todd reacted with anger to the look in Tea's eyes as she walked up the stairs. For all the build up to this story, there haven't been many truly powerful moments. It's unfortunate because so many capable actors are involved here. Meanwhile, the pointless tween characters seem to dominate airtime.

Do either of you think that Todd has been taken in a darker direction with TSJ? Sometimes I wonder if Howarth's Todd would have done some of the things that TSJ's has done. Would he have treated Starr so poorly? Would Jack be the sociopath-in-training that he is? Would their lives have really been that different if Howarth had stuck around? It would be interesting if they explore some of these issues but I doubt it will happen.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Its funny you mention where we would be if RHTodd had stuck around, I remember thinking during Starrs pregnancy that RHTodd would have never treated her so badly. Hes always had a dark side obviously but it does seem the change with TSJ was pretty drastic. Maybe Howarth knew the plan for the character and thats why he decided to leave when he did. I do remember him commenting back then that he hated the direction they were taking the character. I would be interesting if they explored that aspect but with so little time left and TSJ exiting I doubt that will happen.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
When I watched in the early 90s, Todd was more troubled than the evil he can be now. I also remember Howarth leaving due to the direction of his character. I think he left for that reason a couple times.

The Todd-in-jail/Tea scenes were good. I liked Viki turning to see him sitting there in the jail cell, even though I think Viki should have been major player in this storyline weeks ago.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Viki should have been a major player in this story from the start, no question. I do love a good Slezak reaction shot though and that was a big one. I am really enjoying it now getting into the layers of it all with the Tea visit in jail then today with Vikis talk with him. Its funny I was upset about TSJ leaving but now I almost cant wait for him to go. Everytime they cut away from Howarth to TSJ I just want to yell at the tv to switch back to Todd lol. Yeah I guess I'm convinced now Howarth was, is, and always will be my Todd.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Last week's Thursday episode with Viki and Todd-in-jail was pretty good. Loved the flashbacks! Those two has great on-screen chemistry. I enjoyed the stuff with Tea and TSJ-Todd, too.

Friday's show was OK. Starr's visit could have been just as good as Viki's but it fell a little flat for me. After she asked him all those questions, then said he read the answers in the book, I thought, "Why the hell didn't you ask him other questions???????"

I caught bits and pieces of Monday's show but didn't see anything that made me think I should go back and watch the whole show. I still can't believe Nate and Danielle are getting so much airtime. WTF!!!

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Did anyone else know they were reviving Irene Manning? Early in the show, when they were only showing her body parts, I guessed it would be Irene or some character I wouldn't recognize. I guess I was right on both accounts.

I still remember those flashbacks they created during the Viki/Niki storyline in the mid-80s of Viki spying Irene in bed with Victor. That was to be the cause of her split personality disorder. Then in the 90s, I think it was supposed to be that Victor molested her. Silly writers!

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didnt know anything about Irene. I dont even remember reading any casting news about her. Strange!

Had to LOL at yesterdays show and Jack talking about the woman who was cloned in Springfield. I would have loved if somehow Zimmer could have delivered that line but still it was a nice wink to us GL fans. I also enjoyed John telling Jack to shut up...that kid makes me crazy.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
There was one thing back in May (casting side), but when no one heard anything it was thought to be false and ignored. There was no info about anyone being hired as Irene...(from reading about the web it was Barbara Rhodes in the role)...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's rare that soaps do anything to surprise me these days, so the Irene thing was nice. I'm curious to see what they'll do with Tina coming back, though I'm not sure they have the time to explore anything of depth. Unfourtunately, the whole "cloak and dagger" cheesey-ness of what Irene is doing is relatively groan-worthy. It's like 80s soap opera.....but not in a good way. What was that group that had GL's Billy brainwashed to kill Kyle? Infinity? At least their symbol was cooler than Irene's clunky prism-looking thing.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes it was Infinity, and they used the Infinity symbol...

I agree with you it is very 80s soap opera!

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
What did y'all think of Irene's story? It was going to be somewhat outlandish but I didn't have too much trouble suspending disbelief. It seemed like they covered their bases, though I wasn't watching when TSJ's Todd was introduced on the show. I like that they're twins. Makes me wish TSJ was sticking around, now. Certainly plenty of storyline potential there. In hindsight, I should have expected Victor to lie about being Todd but I was a bit surprised. Make for some good scenes there with Tea and Danielle, and then Starr showing up.

The Todd/Viki hug at the end of Wednesday's show made my eyes water a bit. Also enjoyed Thursday's Todd/Starr scenes.

Wish we'd get to see more of Irene. Something I read made it sound like her stay was short-term. I was really hoping to see her interact with Tina.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was way outlandish and silly but I also didnt have too hard a time suspending belief to get invested. Though it dragged on and on in the beginning I thought the reveal itself was nicely paced and well thought out. Loved the Viki/Todd hug and the Starr scenes as well. I missed that connection between Starr/Todd. I kinda wish TSJ was sticking around too but I'm happy with RH as Todd. I am glad they did it the way they did because it makes me feel like investing in TSJs Todd for the last 8 years wasnt a complete waste.

Not so into the spotted pony stuff though. Seems unnecessary at this point. I like Delphina so its fun to have her back.

Was that the end of Kelly/Joey or are they going to get a proper goodbye? If that was it, it was very disappointing.

I also read that Irenes stay was short so I'm guessing thats probably it for her. It would have been fun having Tina in the mix for all this.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We haven't seen Joey and Kelly's last scenes yet. The Spotted Pony stuff is about more than Rex thankfully, but don't want to say more since this is not a spoiler thread.

No idea how much more we will see of Irene if anything more...Tina does need to be involved in all of this obviously.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read right after I posted about Kelly/Joey that they will be around for a bit longer so I'm glad that wasnt their ending. I know where the spotted pony stuff is going and I still dont like it lol. Maybe once we get through the Rex portion I will change my mind but right now I'm just bored with it. I'm getting to the point where I cringe everytime JPL comes on. If I never see him or NuJack again it will be to soon.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Friday's show was relatively good. The stuff with Victor Jr was kind of chilling when Starr first showed up there. Wasn't sure what he would do. I guess I can see Jack and Danielle saying he's still their father. He's the only father they've known, from what I've seen. Starr not accepting him as her father made sense. I would have been disappointed if they'd written it some other way. I was disappointed enough that they didn't have her mention all the rotten things he'd done to her. I was practically screaming it at the screen.

On the one, I could see Todd wanting to blame Blair and Victor for losing all those years with his family. He's angry right now. But we were all there when Irene explained all that she'd done. It just didn't feel believable to me that he wouldn't lump Irene in there as one who'd done him wrong. I don't know if that was meant to give us insight into his state of mind, or just sloppy writing.

The "Spotted Pony" stuff is groan-worthy. Not to mention that Melissa Archer and JPL are too flimsy to be driving entire scenes. It was cool to see The Zimmer's hubby, though. If I hadn't been keeping tabs on Zimmer's book thread, I wouldn't have known it was him. Thanks, BL!

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm guessing Kim's secret friend is either Gigi or Staci, which sucks either way. I dropped the show before they got too deep into the Staci madness but Crystal Hunt was bad from the start. Can't imagine why they'd bring that little show-wrecker back. If it's Gigi, I'm sure it will be all about Rex finding his way back to her. GROAN! At least I can understand why they'd bring Gigi back, though I have no desire to watch it.

I'm curious to see what they're going to do with Days next month, so I'm going to check that out. OLTL is going to have to be REAL good for me to watch both.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Liked Strassers goodbye scenes with her Cramer girls though I think she deserved so much more. Where the hell were they anyway? It looked like a hospital waiting room or something. Havent seen the goodbye with Viki yet but I'm looking forward to it. I would have rather seen a big sendoff party with lots of glitz and excitement but I guess since they just did the movie premier they probably didnt want to go that route again. It just seems like Strasser and Dorian both deserved better.

I'll continue to watch both shows but I'm much more excited about whats coming up with Days too.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
HA! I got lucky enough to see Tina show up for the reading of Victor's will and meet her mother. That was something I hoped to see back when they revealed Irene is still alive! Irene's disdain for Tina made me smile. Very happy to see Andrea Evans, though that wig was driving me crazy. And I wish they'd get rid of that dog!!!

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was hoping you would see Tina. She is going to be on a few times this week...and I am looking forward to that.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
This week has been pretty decent. Though it was pretty laughable to see Starr breaking Todd out of jail. Its nice having Tina (and now Cord) back. I almost needed a scorecard to keep up with all the slapping yesterday. That was fun. KDP still delivers a great slap.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
What's funny is that I was annoyed by the circumstances that made me turn SoapNet on just a few seconds before Tina came waltzing in. But if what happened hadn't happened, I would have missed her entrance.

I was happy to see they brought Irene back. Thought she'd fill the hole that Dorian left, especially since she plays such an important role in Viki's history. Unfortunately, it feels like she's too much of a one-note villain.

I still think the show leans too much towards 'camp' for my liking. It compromises the emotional impact of some of the better scenes....but I'll probably check out more episodes here and there.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · One Life to Live · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: