Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Topic Started: May 1 2010, 11:47 AM (2,332 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I had read this book, which was beyond excellent, and have to recc it to everyone. Last night we saw the movie (yes I went to a theater after more than 20 years). The film was also excellent but like any film based on a book, left out a lot. They are supposed to make it into an American movie but I think it will lose a lot in the translation. For instance, the actors looked so real, they have not got into the botox and fillers there, no one was beautiful by plastic American standards, but it made me yearn for the days when actors looked like people and not cartoons.

The character Lisbeth (the tattoo girl) is a complex and wonderful character who fights like a street fighter. Any money here they'll manage to make her some kind of martial arts queen and ruin the effect of the character.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I wanna see these movies (second and third should be out here later in the year...).

Have you read the second and third books yet? (Edit: Oh, I guess the third really isn't readily available here yet... but anyway...)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have that book on my Kindle but haven't read it yet. It was one of the freebies that Amazon gives out. I'm happy to see it has such great reviews.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, I read the second and it is as good or better than the first. Gate, for sure read it, it is awesome. Dax, I did not know another movie was out.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not out in the U.S., but made (the third, too).

And I guess the third book has been translated for its UK release, but it hasn't been released here yet...

Interesting that the trilogy is gaining such international acclaim and (sad) its author died in 2004... weird when artists don't get to enjoy their success.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, it is really sad. he never wrote anything before, then wrote the trilogy, got it accepted and had a heart attack. I think there will be spin offs of the characters as they are very interesting, especially the main female character Lisbeth Salander. I will definately see the next movie when it is released.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just found out the book club I belong to will be having a meeting to discuss 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' in October. Yay!

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Daughter saw the movie and really liked it. Also is reading the book...

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm 1/2 way through the book now and I can't put it down. The movie is out and playing in very limited release here in my area. I would love to go see the movie this weekend while it's still here. It comes out on DVD July 6th.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I couldn't either Gate, and the good news is the movie is great and the second book as good as the first!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I finished the 1st book last night and download the second book to my Kindle seconds later. I'm scared to start reading the 2nd book today because I'll know I'll get sucked back in and won't be able to put it down. The first book was amazing. :)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
You are quite correct in thinking you will get hooked again Gate. We did seethe movie, very limited in the Phoenix area too, intellectual anything is scarce here. It was very good and follows the plot line. Like most movies though there is no time to get into every relationship, for instance Armansky was not delved into at all.
So it is good you read the book first.

I was not sure they'd ever release it on DVD so we made the effort to see it. Maybe we'll rent it, I loved it that much.

They are making an "American" version of the movie which i am sure will not be nearly as good. lisbeth is brilliantly portrayed in the Swedish version, as is Bloomquist. The actors are not all botoxed and surgically altered, they are real looking. I amsure they'll get some "big name' to act in the newer version, and have Lisbeth jusmping thru the air like Crouching Tiger and ruin the whole damn thing.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I honestly think a Steven Zallian script and David Fincher directing (and Brad Pitt doesn't suck) should make for a pretty good movie. I wouldn't think they'd ruin a great book.

Scorpioww
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
this book has been on my "to read" list for so long. Hearing the rave revierws from you all has sealed the deal. Can't wait to read it now. (I've been reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels and they are very addicting but I will take a break from them for this!)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I had no idea that they are making an 'American' version of the movie. Hopefully it will be good.

I'm sucked into the second book already. It only took one second and I was hooked. :)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK, so interesting tidbits. Our weekend guests included a Swedeish friend who read the book and siad all of the places and characters (other than of course the main ones) were accurate.

AND, NY Times has a big article about the battle now going on over the monies from the books and movies. He lived with a woman for 20 years and she helped him write the books, but she is not entitled to any of the money because they were not married. There are major suits going on over this. I am sure you can go to NY Times on line and get the article, it is in the Sunday magazine section.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Very interesting Krystal.

I finished the second book and am waiting for the 3rd one to come out on the Kindle on Tuesday. :)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finished the 3rd book. Amazing series. I won't say too much more until you guys have caught up but I will say I'm sorry it has come to an end.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Reportedly there is a lot of a 4th one on the computer which the girlfriend has. The greedy dad and bro want it but as they have made a ton of money on this series, she won't give it up. Rumor that she helped write the books. We'll see. Big scandal in sweden over this. maybe we'll get another. just sad that it had to dend this way.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jun 4 2010, 10:14 AM
Reportedly there is a lot of a 4th one on the computer which the girlfriend has. The greedy dad and bro want it but as they have made a ton of money on this series, she won't give it up. Rumor that she helped write the books. We'll see. Big scandal in sweden over this. maybe we'll get another. just sad that it had to dend this way.
I had no idea there is a 4th book. Oh I just hope they can work it out! I hate when things like that happen. It's just terrible.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
If there's 'part of a book', there's not really a book.

If she were truly a co-author on the books, yeah, okay... there's probably moral (but not legal) ground for it to be finished by her...

But unless there's an 'author's living will', some kind of contractual arrangements made beforehand... then nobody has the legal right to publish this work, or profit from its sale...

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jun 4 2010, 11:56 AM
But unless there's an 'author's living will', some kind of contractual arrangements made beforehand... then nobody has the legal right to publish this work, or profit from its sale...
I'm sure the laws in Sweden vary from the US. Here is a article outlining the problem ~ Stieg Larsson fans fight to solve final mystery of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

His girlfriend of 30 years has a website ~ Suport Eva

I just hope they can get this resolved because I would love to see a 4th book.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Legally, yeah, I'm sure - differences between Sweden and U.S. laws... but either way, if Larsson didn't make intentions-in-the-event-of-his-death CLEARLY written out, then it's a big problem... I do feel sympathetic towards a lot of dead authors with posthumous releases from 'hey, look what I found on this hard drive' circumstances because they may have only considered them unfinished drafts that nobody was ever MEANT to see...

Reading the article... yeah. 32 years together - that's not a 'girlfriend'... she should be Larsson's heir, not his brother and father - greed DOES seem to be their primary motivating factor. I hope she wins her bid to own the rights.

Ten books planned, fifth and sixth roughly plotted, an alleged 320 pages of Book #4... Hm. Is she writer enough that she could finish them herself, or would she need another partner? Would it be 'right' for someone else to step into Larsson's world and characters and make money off his (unfinished) works?

Sticky. If I were a fan, I'm not sure I'd WANT more books if Larsson weren't here to provide them... but if I believed that she WERE a true 'co-author' of the books, well, sure... that's different...

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax, I do agree with everything you said. I only want a 4th book if it was written by Stieg Larsson and 'almost' completed. I don't think I would want any more after that unless there was full disclosure that the books were outlined by him and another author could match my expectations.

This is yet another reason people need to have wills/trust. It just boggles my mind when people don't take the time to put down their wishes in writing. In this case it sucks for Eva.

I do feel if Eva was a co-author then should should have gotten credit. Again the guy died and we will never know what his wishes were for his books. It's just so sad.

So my husband is reading the 1st book. He doesn't get much time to read so it will take him a while but he's already hooked. :)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
A very thorough article www.nytimes.com search for The Afterlife of Stieg Larsson. It would appear he was not even raised by his Dad, shipped off to the grandparents, did not get along with brother, now these guys are making all of the money. He wanted to give a great deal to charity too. Very sad. Supposedly she did help with the book, 3/4 of a book is there on his computer, who knows. She has a huge suport base even though she has no legal right to the book.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow.....I've never even heard of this book but you guys have me totally wanting to read it like....NOW! I'm off to ebay!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't know anyone male or female who did not love it.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cheryl
Jun 4 2010, 10:50 PM
Wow.....I've never even heard of this book but you guys have me totally wanting to read it like....NOW! I'm off to ebay!
Cheryl, I wish I had for you so I could send them to you but being that it's on my Kindle I'm not willing to part with it. B-)

I've been slightly obsessed recently with the Kindle and I found this amazing Kindle board with a wealth of information and of course they have a thread dedicated to the Millennium trilogy. ;)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just loaned out both books myself and will read third soon. Even the retarded AZ Republic loved it.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
They released the movie on DVD, but I recc reading the book first. it was a really good movie, but did not have the depth the book did, impossible with most good books.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: