Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
ATWT ends on CBS in September 2010
Topic Started: Dec 8 2009, 10:42 AM (1,550 Views)
Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
As The World Turns Ends on CBS in September 2010
Show Entertained Fans For Half Century

NEW YORK, Dec. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- As The World Turns, the long-running daytime drama, will complete its final season on the CBS Television Network in September 2010. CBS has decided not to renew the show for the 2010/2011 broadcast season, thereby ending its 54-year run on the Network.

"Throughout our history, As The World Turns has remained dedicated to sharing compelling stories that have entertained fans for more than five decades," said Executive Producer Chris Goutman. "We are disappointed and saddened by the news that the show is not being renewed. It will certainly be a loss for all of us, and for the show's loyal audience."

"As The World Turns has been a cornerstone of our business and a tremendous asset to the company," said Brian T. Cahill, Senior Vice President and Managing Director, TeleNext Media, Inc. "We are proactively seeking a new outlet to carry the show, and are open to exploring innovative formats and relationships that will enable the future success of ATWT."

The epitome of multi-generational, serial storytelling, As The World Turns has been entertaining generations of fans for more than half a century. The show boasts a well-loved and long-tenured cast, including actress Helen Wagner (Nancy Hughes) who spoke the first words on the premier broadcast of ATWT in 1956. To this day, Nancy is still at the helm of the Hughes family, earning Wagner the distinction of portraying the longest-running character in television history.

Other veteran cast members still on the show today include Eileen Fulton (Lisa Grimaldi) and Don Hastings (Dr. Bob Hughes) who each have played their characters for 49 years; Marie Masters (Dr. Susan Stewart) with 41 years; and Kathryn Hays (Kim Hughes) who has starred on the show for 37 years.

As The World Turns has tackled many contemporary themes over the years, including AIDS, Alzheimer's, alcoholism and more, while remaining true to the show's rich history and realistic characters. In 1988, the serial made history by introducing daytime television's first gay male character, Hank Eliot (played by Brian Starcher), for which it was honored at the first annual GLAAD media awards in 1990.

Created by Irna Phillips, As The World Turns premiered on April 2, 1956 as a 30-minute live television show, unprecedented at the time for a soap opera. Top-rated from 1959 to 1971, it was the first daytime serial with its own spin-off, Our Private World, which aired in prime-time. The show switched to color on 1967, and expanded from a half-hour in length to one hour in 1975. Over the years, ATWT has been awarded numerous accolades, including 58 Daytime Emmy awards.

Set in the fictional Midwestern town of Oakdale, As The World Turns launched the careers of many now-famous Hollywood celebrities, such as Dana Delaney, James Earl Jones, Julianne Moore, Parker Posey, Meg Ryan, and Marisa Tomei to name a few.

About As The World Turns

As The World Turns tapes in Brooklyn, New York and airs weekdays on the CBS Television Network. (Check local listings.) Christopher Goutman is the Executive Producer; Jean Passanante and David Kreizman are Headwriters. For more information, visit www.astheworldturns.net.

About TeleNext Media, Inc.

TeleNext Media, Inc. is a full-service production agency primarily known for producing the Emmy award-winning daytime serials As The World Turns and Guiding Light. TeleNext Media has produced twenty different daytime serials since 1933. TeleNext Media, Inc. is also the producer of The People's Choice Awards and continues to develop new multi-platform content in a variety of genres and strong industry partnerships, including the New York Television Festival. Headquartered in New York, TeleNext Media is a business unit of MediaVest, a full-service media and communications unit of Starcom MediaVest Group (SMG), a subsidiary of the Paris-based Publicis Groupe network.

SOURCE As The World Turns
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Gate I just saw this!! Seriously made me sick to my stomach!! I just think that's it...they'll all be getting the axe and be gone by the end of next year. :(
Quote Post Goto Top

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am sick about this! I cannot believe it! I mean I can, but CRAP!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Aw hell. This sucks.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Since they "shopped GL" around before it went off and no one wanted it...do you think there's even a chance for ATWT to get picked up? I don't :(
Quote Post Goto Top

Jeannie
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
lexilani
Dec 8 2009, 12:29 PM
Since they "shopped GL" around before it went off and no one wanted it...do you think there's even a chance for ATWT to get picked up? I don't :(
Definitely not now since they've hired Ellen Wheeler to ruin the end :( :rant: :rant:

Muzikal203
[ * ]
ATWT is better than Y&R, and they are keeping that show around.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not surprised, not outraged (I wasted all that on the end of GL) just sad.

My one hope for the end is if Helen Wagner is still able by then, she damn well better speak the last word of the show. Thats it, my last hope for ATWT (yeah I'm setting the bar real low this time).

Lisa
Member Avatar
Nana
[ *  *  *  * ]
we saw that coming....

whatever
[ * ]
They canceled GL. and replaced it with some stupid game show. You cannot tell me that brought in more ratings. I used to watch BB, however it has gotten stupid. Do they keep in mind the people who tape the show? Yeah some of the story lines are out there, but some of the stories are good.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was a done deal (and I honestly believe it was, officially just not publicly) once they hired DK. EW moving over was simply a louder signal that the end was imminent.

Good bye CBS.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Evidently Les Moonves made an offhand snarky remark about ATWT and soaps in general that have people upset on twitter.

In response to his remark that "their day is over"....I wish his day was over.

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2009/12/08/les-moonves-on-cancellation-of-pg-soaps-their-day-is-over
Quote Post Goto Top

mozartkc
Member Avatar
Aloha:)
[ *  *  *  * ]
Im sad. Speechless. I feel like we have been bent over and made to just "take it". Sorry for my use of words here yall. I guess I won't have anything to watch or DVR on CBS anymore. I hope that they at least end the show with dignity. I hope they at least reunite Carly and Jack. Bring back the vets to the frontburner. I wish they would bring back Martha B. to reprise Lily in its final days :(

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I'm not the least bit surprised by this news. I thought this decision was coming after the cancellation of GL; and would have happened whether DK or EW went to ATWT or not.

IMO, soaps are in a deep decline....B&B and Y & R are just hanging on. AMC is moving to LA and losing some of it's long-time actors, just to save money. I believe the end is near for all soaps!

Sorry, don't mean to sound so depressing!!!
Edited by Marg, Dec 8 2009, 07:26 PM.

katinka
Member Avatar
Carpe Diem
[ * ]
I just saw the news....I'm not as shocked as I was by GL's cancellation, but I am saddened nonetheless. Les Moonves can kiss my a**. Ahhh...I'm glad my mother is not alive to see this.

whatever
[ * ]
CBS Television Network. 51 West 52nd Street New York, NY 10019.

Main Number: (212) 975-4321.

Call the CBS department of programming in NYC at: 212-975-3247

www.cbs.com/info/user_services/fb_global_form.php

Deleted User
Deleted User

Didn't work for Gl and won't work for ATWT but will do it anyway just to get it off my chest.
Quote Post Goto Top

failsafe
[ *  * ]
Re Les Moonves, this is the man who is stupid enough to leave his wife for that idiot Julie Chen. What do you expect?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Julie Chen? I thought she was married to Maury-the talk show guy?
Quote Post Goto Top

Tex Longhornfan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
lexilani
Dec 9 2009, 02:36 PM
Julie Chen? I thought she was married to Maury-the talk show guy?
Maury is married to Connie Chung.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good article here. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/arts/television/09soap.html?_r=1&ref=arts

Let's Make A Deal costs about half as much as GL, and they're up in total viewers and the younger demos.

Also good bits on the median age of the soap audience...

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't watch this soap, or any now, but I'm still sad that they seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs. :(

Deleted User
Deleted User

ahh ty tex! Of course it's Connie I was thinking of..I'm such a ditz at times. Don't know who Julie Chen is though...guess I'll google :)

Just googled her....must be the effects of my 3 day headache cuz once I saw her pic, of course I knew her too. :groan:
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I realized this morning while watching yesterday's ATWT...I'd rather have it on and bitch about the storylines (while watching Mick get blood from Paul), then not have it on at all. :(
Quote Post Goto Top

Tex Longhornfan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
lexilani
Dec 10 2009, 10:07 AM
ahh ty tex! Of course it's Connie I was thinking of..I'm such a ditz at times. Don't know who Julie Chen is though...guess I'll google :)

Just googled her....must be the effects of my 3 day headache cuz once I saw her pic, of course I knew her too. :groan:
LOL I knew you were a Big Brother fan! I know all too well about those long bouts with headaches. I hope you are feeling better.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks Tex-sorry to hear you know about these long headaches too. They can be a bear to live with-makes me wish I could find one of those docs that believe in giving good drugs instead of eating otc' s like candy.

I've seen it mentioned that there should be a cable "soap" network that could buy all the soaps and just show them. Soapnet was mentioned and also TLC ...I know I had wondered myself why soapnet couldn't take GL and just find a way to make it cheaper...somehow.

I think my problem with all this is that I just don't understand all the ins and outs of doing something like this. Would the ATWT actors and crew be willing to take enough of a paycut to help the show go someplace else? And even if they did, would that be enough to make it "cheap" enough for another network? I just don't understand how a soap can be that much more expensive to make than say a game show where they are constantly giving away lots of money and prizes....and they also have crew and hosts to pay. Do these people make so little compared to soap actors?

Also I've read that CBS soaps aren't owned by the network. Well can't the network just buy ATWT ...from whatever company owns it? IF they want to get rid of it that bad that they are canceling it they should be able to get it for a cheap price right?
I have been thinking about the amount of people that will be out of work...so many actors and crew and their families...just so sad.
And we will probably lose so of our favorites if they can get another job or out of their contracts before it ends. I don't blame them one bit. Sure makes me hope that Gotham works out.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:mad1: well i am done with cbs. When GL went poof i started watching General Hospitol. Guess i will try something else again.
Quote Post Goto Top

GLFan1978
[ * ]
I am sad but definitely not as sad as when GL was canceled. That just broke my heart even tho the show was just a shell of its former glory.

lexilani, I am not whiz, but here is some take/spin: No production is cheap, by any means. Actors, crew, studio space, etc. make any production, prime time or daytime, an expensive prospect. The difference is viewers tune into primetime, and the numbers clearly show they do not to daytime. The revenue is drastically different - networks have little bargaining when it comes to most of daytime programming and advertisers. So, the profit margins are very, very low for the network making it a less viable option. Procter and Gamble would not sell their stake - they make more than the network (albeit not much more). And, quite frankly, who wants to buy something that is not a money-making option? It would be like CBS wanting to buy the Jay Leno Show - stupid. Indeed, CBS does not own/distribute its own shows which makes it somewhat a miracle they air any soaps. When licensing fees by the distributor get slashed because they are making less, that's when actors take paycuts, staff gets eliminated and you get writers like, for example, David Kreizman.

Game shows are very, very cheap - prizes come from advertisers and sponsors - CBS isn't buying a living room set from Ashley Furniture to give away on The Price is Right, for example. If a host made a million bucks a year, far cry from what it costs to pay and entire cast and crew - the actors are the game players.

Soapnet is the biggest joke of a cable network. They reair soaps that air each day, when a majority of people have DVRs and DVR their favorite soap as it is. Take TVLand- it is a success because it is showing programs we loved and still love. If Soapnet picked up GL and aired the series, say, when Alan Spaulding first aired and moved forward, people would tune in...lost viewers and the curious.

It's sad. I grew up on GL and ATWT and now will only have Y&R left.

Deleted User
Deleted User

GLFan ty for the response. It makes sense and it seems to me that any network bigwig would know there are lower numbers for daytime because people are out and about working, or school. But they should count the numbers for those who record the shows for daytime...I've never heard of anyone recording a daytime game show but plenty do the soaps. Maybe it would be better cost wise if our soaps were on once a week like the primetime shows. I wouldn't like it but it would be better than losing them all.
The only time I ever use soapnet is when my electric goes out or if the dvr messed up somehow. I think they do need to change their name though...I would so love to see both GL and ATWT from it's earlier days.
Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> But they should count the numbers for those who record the shows for daytime..

They do. It doesn't matter.

GL's cancellation and reviving Let's Make A Deal has been a financial and ratings success for CBS, paving the way for ATWT to go away, too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · As the World Turns · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: