Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tv On Dvd
Topic Started: Dec 31 2007, 08:29 AM (301 Views)
Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]

Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
The Buzz _ Primetime TV _ TV on DVDs
Posted by: shadowplay Sep 11 2007, 06:14 PM

I started collecting some of my fave shows on DVD this year, so thought I'd start a thread about who got what on DVD and who wants to get what.

Right now I have the first three seasons of The West Wing, six seasons of Homicide: Life on the Street (with interest in getting the final season and movie), and the first three seasons of The X-Files, with interests in getting more as soon as I can afford them. Aside from that I also have a bunch of stuff from Guiding Light.

So who's got what and what are you interested in getting if you don't have already?
Posted by: ~sam~ Sep 12 2007, 01:23 PM

I have the megaset of Homicide that includes the movie. I had gotten all seven seasons individually, saw that the movie cost way more than the individual sets, got pissed, saw the megaset on the A&E site, got even more pissed, bought the megaset on sale and gave the individual sets to my mom (she's a fellow Homicide fan, and she was watching reruns on cable which made it hard to compare notes since we were never watching the same season at the same time). I had just started watching S7 (a little dull IMO, after the departure of Andre Brauer) and was desperate to have the movie, which I still haven't watched. doh.gif I just started watching them over so once I get back through S7 I'll finally watch it.

I've pre-ordered the latest release of the complete X-Files collection - I'll be happy when that comes. Trying to catch them at 1:00am gets tough sleeping-smiley-009.gif

For individual seasons of stuff I have Grey's Anatomy 1 & 2, House 1 & 2, Twin Peaks 1 & 2 + pilot (still pissed about that mega set 8021.gif), and the Taken miniseries. Holding out for LOST until the show is over and I can get them all at once. Thinking about starting to acquire Nip/Tuck - I always think I wouldn't watch them but then I'm glued to my TV every Saturday night in the summer watching the reruns on FX. I also have S1 of the Muppets which I've never watched - one of these days. tongue.gif
Posted by: Gatekeeper Sep 12 2007, 01:36 PM

I thought I did this list somewhere. Hum... OK here goes ~

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Series
Angel Series
Alias Series
24 (1-5)
Veronica Mars (2)
Nip/Tuck (1-3)
Gilmore Girls (1-4)
Grey's Anatomy (1)
House (1)
Monk (1)
Rescue Me (1-3)
The Hills (1)
CSI (1)
Firefly (1)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (1&2)
Miami Vice (1)
X-files (1)
Smallville (1)
Brotherhood (1)

The problem with my collection is I have my brother calling me up wanting me to send him the series and then I never see them again. fryingpan.gif
Posted by: shadowplay Sep 12 2007, 01:51 PM

Amazon sells the Homicide movie individually but for ridiculous amounts of money. I'll keep my eye out for it when the price comes down. Now, I won't be getting the megaset. Can't afford it either way. I just started watching season six last night. I know S7 is considered the worst, but I still want it if only to complete the whole series.

Posted by: Dax Sep 12 2007, 03:48 PM

I have the Homicide megaset, but haven't had the time to dig into it... (it is the only way to get the 3 L&O crossover episodes, short of buying the (in some cases eventual) L&O season sets).

I, um... have a lot of tv-on-dvd. Far too much to list right now...

I just re-watched (at work- nice perk to slow periods) The Office Season 3 and adored it and the 3 hours and 10 minutes of deleted scenes...

I'm at 2.15 in my Grey's Anatomy marathon. I was going to blog thoughts as I went, but if I took the time to do that... I'd wouldn't have been able to move through the series very quickly... instead, I'll do a big catch-all when I'm all done.

Next summer, I'm going to watch Battlestar Galactica...

Posted by: ~sam~ Sep 13 2007, 03:57 AM

QUOTE(shadowplay @ Sep 12 2007, 01:51 PM) *
Amazon sells the Homicide movie individually but for ridiculous amounts of money. I'll keep my eye out for it when the price comes down. Now, I won't be getting the megaset. Can't afford it either way. I just started watching season six last night. I know S7 is considered the worst, but I still want it if only to complete the whole series.

They have one on Amazon for about $45 now, that's the cheapest I've seen it...you might want to snap it up since it's not popular I doubt the price would go down more than that. What really annoyed me is when I did the math and figured that I spent way more getting the individual sets than the megaset cost - I think I spent about $200 getting the individual sets and the megaset was $130. I wouldn't have done it if not for the fact that I knew I could give them to my mom and that she would enjoy them (and, they made a timely Mother's Day present). I suppose I could have resold them, but didn't want to go through the hassle of that. I've made my peace with it so it's all good. wink.gif I tried to similarly bestow my Twin Peaks collection on my sister so I could justify getting the new one but she didn't bite.

I wouldn't have not watched S7 either, even if it isn't as good how could you not after watching all the rest. And I do like Giancarlo Esposito, but Andre Brauer is definitely my favorite from the series. I may have to reassess once I've watched them all again, but I think I would say that my favorite arcs are Kellerman's descent from good cop to bad cop, and the whole Luther Mahoney sl. Favorite individual ep is the subway train one with Vincent D'Onofrio. Another thing I like about watching Homicide is seeing all the people who did guest stints - it's fun to see people and think of where they are now.

Forgot to mention that I also have S1 of Murder One - another excellent show that I would highly recommend. DIdn't think S2 was as good after Daniel Benzali left, but it's been a while and S2 goes for pretty cheap so I might pick it up sometime. Also just got S1 of Picket Fences - that's some pretty good, wholesome TV watching.

Wish List - that someday they will come out with Sisters, and release Ally McBeal in region 1 format.
Posted by: Cheryl Sep 13 2007, 06:06 PM

Sam--Ally McBeal is totally on my wish list, especially the season with Robert Downey, Jr. I loved that season SOOOO much!!! wub.gif

QUOTE(Dax @ Sep 12 2007, 04:48 PM) *
I'm at 2.15 in my Grey's Anatomy marathon. I was going to blog thoughts as I went, but if I took the time to do that... I'd wouldn't have been able to move through the series very quickly... instead, I'll do a big catch-all when I'm all done.

Dax--I was thinking about you the other day while reading an article about the upcoming Grey's season.....I was wondering how you were coming along on your Grey's marathon. So just tell us this much. Who is your favorite 'Grey's gal'? I'm betting that you are either an Izzy or an Addie lover. Myself, I went from being an Addison hater to being a total Addie lover. I just adore Kate Walsh in that role. She totally made it her own. And Katherine Heigl is just so sexy and earthy and real. What's not to love? Sandra Oh is fabulous in her role but not all that sexy so I can't picture her being a Dax girl. And Meredith? Nahhh.....too needy. But she is cute so you never know. So please.....you must tell me which is your fave. Inquiring minds want to know! laugh.gif

And how are you liking the show so far? Season two was my favorite, by far.
Posted by: Gatekeeper Sep 13 2007, 06:16 PM

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Sep 13 2007, 07:06 PM) *
Sam--Ally McBeal is totally on my wish list, especially the season with Robert Downey, Jr. I loved that season SOOOO much!!! wub.gif

Oh Cheryl once again you and are on the same wave length. I LOVE MY Robert Downey, Jr. and the season he was in was my absolute favorite but let's not forget MY man Bon Jovi too! LOL! Oh that show was steaming with wonderful leading men for Calista Flockhart and now with Rob Lowe on 'Brothers & Sisters' it seems the girl continues to hit the jackpot when it comes to men! icecream.gif
Posted by: blosslover Sep 13 2007, 06:47 PM

Unfortunately our lists got lost on the old board. This is what I can recall having of television shows from the top of my head. I may be missing one or two.

Buffy (1-2)
Angel (complete)
Rescue Me (1-2)
Muppet Show (1-2)
Alias (1-4...need to get 5 but want the megaset and will give away 1-4)
Veronica Mars (1-2)
Nip/Tuck (1)
Gilmore Girls (1-6 though I've only watched through 5)
Farscape (1)
Entourage (1)
Christy (Full series 1 season)
Firefly (ditto)
Point Pleasant (ditto)
Futurama (1)
The Mole (1)
Lost (1)
Star Trek: Voyager (1)
Rocky and Bullwinkle (1-2)
Northern Exposure (1-2 in special packaging)
The 4400 (1-2)
America's Next Top Model (1 the year with Adrianne Curry got it when Tower Records closed on discount)
The OC (1-2)
One Tree Hill (1-2)
Roswell (Full series 3 seasons)
Everwood (1)
Remington Steele (1-3)

Most of these shows haven't been watched by me in full on DVD...

BL
Posted by: Dax Sep 14 2007, 01:44 AM

>> Who is your favorite 'Grey's gal'?

In 'that' sense - Izzie, sure. But I most enjoy the characters of Cristina and Bailey. And I also really like Kate Walsh...

Enjoying the show. First six shows or so I was kinda 'eh'... took a bit of time to get going, but then I thought 1.7 was really good... a couple into 2, I was pretty well 'hooked'...

We (Crystal's netflixing, and we're staying within four episodes or so of each other) just watched the big after-the-Super Bowl-Ricci-and-Kyle-Chandler-and-the-bomb double-bill, and loved that, of course... she just got three ahead of me tonight, seeing the first appearances of Mark and Callie and the George/Meredith sex... I'll catch up to her tomorrow...

Posted by: Gatekeeper Sep 14 2007, 05:06 AM

QUOTE(Dax @ Sep 14 2007, 02:44 AM) *
We (Crystal's netflixing, and we're staying within four episodes or so of each other) just watched the big after-the-Super Bowl-Ricci-and-Kyle-Chandler-and-the-bomb double-bill, and loved that, of course... she just got three ahead of me tonight, seeing the first appearances of Mark and Callie and the George/Meredith sex... I'll catch up to her tomorrow...

That was my first Grey's episode and I was hooked after that. icecream.gif
Posted by: Cheryl Sep 14 2007, 03:28 PM

QUOTE(Gatekeeper @ Sep 13 2007, 07:16 PM) *
Oh Cheryl once again you and are on the same wave length. I LOVE MY Robert Downey, Jr. and the season he was in was my absolute favorite but let's not forget MY man Bon Jovi too! LOL! Oh that show was steaming with wonderful leading men for Calista Flockhart and now with Rob Lowe on 'Brothers & Sisters' it seems the girl continues to hit the jackpot when it comes to men! icecream.gif

I loved the season with OUR man Bon Jovi too but it wasn't nearly as good as the RDJ season. That was was just really special, IMO. The kicker is that you can get the Ally dvd overseas but not in America......something about the music rights. So not fair! sad.gif

In 'that' sense - Izzie, sure. But I most enjoy the characters of Cristina and Bailey. And I also really like Kate Walsh...

Enjoying the show. First six shows or so I was kinda 'eh'... took a bit of time to get going, but then I thought 1.7 was really good... a couple into 2, I was pretty well 'hooked'...

Cristina and Bailey are the best....love those two. Sandra Oh cracks me up on a regular basis. And Bailey is just a fabulous character. Chandra Wilson is another actress that is so wonderful. That eppy with Kyle Chandler (be still my heart!!!) was one of my very favorites. It was the first time I ever watched an episode twice. And.....it was when Grey's finally became 'must see t.v.' for me. Great eppy! I think you will like Callie a lot. I do.

Posted by: Dax Sep 14 2007, 04:00 PM

Even in other regions, I don't believe Ally has been released with all its music intact yet. It'll be awhile, but it SHOULD happen (they finally got Practice season sets going...).

Posted by: ~sam~ Sep 14 2007, 05:09 PM

QUOTE(Gatekeeper @ Sep 13 2007, 06:16 PM) *

I KNOW!!! They were both hot. Remember I said back in the AI thread about JBJ on Ally McBeal? Couldn't ever forget it. wub.gif But back to RDJ - I loved watching him with that kid that played his son. And of course, let's not forget Billy. That show was awesome. I was so pissed off back when I moved into my condo and finally got cable, to discover that they were rerunning AB on FX in the morning only for them to stop running it about two weeks later. I think that's when they started running The Practice.

So Dax, what was the holdup with The Practice? I know the AB thing is over music rights, but I don't recall The Practice having that much music. Unless David E. Kelley is just slow like that, it did take forever for Picket Fences to get released as well.

The Kyle Chandler/bomb in the chest ep was my first too, but I didn't get hooked until I caught the end of the prom ep. Then I was hooked. I wasn't going to do it this soon but I broke down last night and ordered Grey's S3. I blame Bush...I was so pissed that I lost the last 20 minutes on my tape from the presidential address. Then I went online and started looking the episode synopses on IMDB...awww, Izzy on the floor...awww, Izzy meeting Denny's dad...awww, penis fish... and decided I had to have it NOW. What can I say, it's a must have. I also picked up the S3 soundtrack yesterday, it's pretty good.
Posted by: Dax Sep 14 2007, 05:26 PM

FX ran Ally and The Practice (and Buffy) at the same time- I was going crazy trying to catch up on all of them together..

>> So Dax, what was the holdup with The Practice?

It was a Fox thing, more than Kelley, I think. Dunno why, just... took awhile. I had thought they'd have put Practice 8 (introducing Alan Shore) out already, but that hasn't happened, either (though the last four Spader/Shatner episodes did get out on a Best Buy bonus disc with BL 1).

Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 12 2007, 05:05 PM

I thought with the TV season pretty much dead that I would resurrect this thread. For underneath the Christmas tree hubby and I decided to just give each other TV series to fill the void. We went out and bought ~

Brotherhood (Season 1)
Smallville (Season 1 ~ for Baby Gate but I hope we all will enjoy it)
X-Files (Season 1 ~ I want them all but for now we need to start slow)

We also have Monk Season 1 that hasn't been opened in which I hope to convince hubby to start watching soon.
Posted by: KMInfinity Dec 12 2007, 06:26 PM

LOL - Gate I signed up for Netflix today since there's nothing left for me to watch. I've been reading more too tongue.gif...(The Blood Ties books - pretty good.)

Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 12 2007, 06:31 PM

QUOTE(KMInfinity @ Dec 12 2007, 06:26 PM) *
LOL - Gate I signed up for Netflix today since there's nothing left for me to watch. I've been reading more too tongue.gif...(The Blood Ties books - pretty good.)

What a great idea to get Netflix. I didn't think about that. Duh! Thanks KMI!

I have the Blood Tie books too and plan to go back to those once I'm done with the last Harry Potter. Can you believe that I haven't read it yet and it hasn't been spoiled for me yet? Fingers crossed that I didn't jinx myself on the ending.
Posted by: KMInfinity Dec 12 2007, 06:39 PM

Okay, I hate you now....Wish I had the last HP to read over Christmas Break! Lucky you. How did you manage to avoid being spoiled?
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 12 2007, 06:47 PM

QUOTE(KMInfinity @ Dec 12 2007, 06:39 PM) *
How did you manage to avoid being spoiled?

I don't know. It's insane that I don't know what happens but I think it's because I just didn't talk about it to anyone and went on a Internet/News blackout when it was released. I'm really scared now that I've jinxed myself. rolleyes.gif
Posted by: Dax Dec 13 2007, 01:11 AM

Harry becomes all-powerful, goes evil, destroys most of the world, kills all his friends, and rules Hell hand-in-hand with his best buddy Voldemort. Brave way to end it, I thought...

Oh, did I spoil it? Sorry.

Gate, where are you and Ashley in Gilmore Girls now?

I'll be watching Brotherhood 1 very soon, too (started it last year, but stopped 4 or 5 in, will need to re-watch them since it's been too long...).
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 13 2007, 04:26 AM

QUOTE(Dax @ Dec 13 2007, 01:11 AM) *
Harry becomes all-powerful, goes evil, destroys most of the world, kills all his friends, and rules Hell hand-in-hand with his best buddy Voldemort. Brave way to end it, I thought...

Oh, did I spoil it? Sorry.

laugh.gif Thanks Dax. I didn't want to be bothered having to read that long book anyway. bigwink.gif

Gate, where are you and Ashley in Gilmore Girls now?

Not sure season wise but still at the beginning. Motorcycle dad just drove into town is all I can remember. I can't get my husband to watch the show with us and with Ashley's busy schedule it's almost impossible to watch more than a show a week with her. Maybe over break.

I'll be watching Brotherhood 1 very soon, too (started it last year, but stopped 4 or 5 in, will need to re-watch them since it's been too long...).

Yeah I can't wait to see that one. thumbsup.gif
Posted by: Maria Dec 13 2007, 09:27 AM

Harry becomes all-powerful, goes evil, destroys most of the world, kills all his friends, and rules Hell hand-in-hand with his best buddy Voldemort.

The conclusion of Harry Potter, as written by David Kreizman.

Sorry. That was just too easy. Now back to your regularly scheduled conversation wink.gif
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 13 2007, 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Maria @ Dec 13 2007, 09:27 AM) *
The conclusion of Harry Potter, as written by David Kreizman.
Sorry. That was just too easy. Now back to your regularly scheduled conversation wink.gif

laugh.gif

OK I'm going to get my Harry Potter book out and my new reading glasses and start it today. I'm way too scared that now that I opened my big fat mouth that the book will get spoiled for me. I even had a bad dream about it last night.
Posted by: Cheryl Dec 13 2007, 06:12 PM

Netflix is awesome. We joined last summer and watched the very first season of Battlestar Galactica. I'm sure we'll be rejoining soon!

Gate--I think you will ALL be surprised at how much you like Monk. That show is a hoot. Very funny supporting and likable cast and Tony Shalhoub is brilliant.

I love Smallville but it didn't become REALLY good until a couple of seasons in. I think it's killer now....it's became really character driven in the last few years which is awesome but it took a while for them to get off that freak of the week formula. I am in LOVE with that guy that plays Lex Luthor! The bad guys are definitely the most interesting in that show.--Lex and his daddy, Lionel Luthor.

And I know if I said it once, I've said it ten times but you NEED to get back into Gilmore Girls even if Chris refuses to watch. It gets awesomely good as it goes along, take my word for it. You....and I do mean YOU.....will love the relationship between Lorelai and her mother especially. I think you can relate!!! smile.gif
Posted by: Dax Dec 15 2007, 03:21 PM

Some very good deals on Amazon right now.

One-day deals (which have been selling out quickly) - yesterday, all three years of Arrested Development for $30, today, both seasons of Rome for $60...

Six Feet Under sets are $20 each now... whole series for a hundred... excellent deal if you don't already have them...

I still need Smallville 4 and 5 ($15 each now), and West Wing 5-7, but I'm too poor... NEXT year, hopefully...
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 15 2007, 03:37 PM

I really want X-Files Series but that's not going to happen now (I'm getting the first season for Christmas). So rudolph.gif if any of you see a good deal please let me know.
Posted by: Dax Dec 15 2007, 03:56 PM

I will eventually get that X-Files megaset. Had a love/hate relationship with the show, but would rather have them than NOT have them... but was always torn between the 'old' sets (thick, cool packaging, a 7th disc of extras) which were cheap/clearance/now-or-never-kinda-disappearing for a bit, but I couldn't afford to pick up all nine and didn't want to start collecting something that might be a challenge to finish getting later... and the 'new' (thin-packs are shelf-savers, but the omission of the extra disc bothered me...). The new Complete Series box (includes the movie, too- cool... but then I kinda wish it had The Lone Gunmen with it, as well...) DOES have all the goodies that were on the first releases... that's the way to go for me. But it's expensive.

But someday... I'll hit one of those one-day specials, and I'll have the money... the stars will align just right...

I don't worry that it'll be going out of print anytime soon, so no rush.

Should be some good deals around the time of the next movie (FINALLY happening)...
Posted by: ~sam~ Dec 16 2007, 07:47 PM

QUOTE(Dax @ Dec 15 2007, 02:56 PM) *
I will eventually get that X-Files megaset. ... But it's expensive.

Ah, but it is so worth it. abduct.gif
Posted by: blosslover Dec 16 2007, 11:33 PM

Don't laugh by the DVD set, I've been enjoying the most and watching these days was the old school Sesame Street. Anything that allows me to laugh is a good thing. smile.gif

I also recently got the third season of Rescue Me and the fourth of The OC, both on sale at Best Buy.

BL (who almost feels torn about buying DVD sets due to the whole WGA strike issues.)
Posted by: ScorpioWW Dec 16 2007, 11:48 PM

Gate, I am so psyched to see that u watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia! That show is sooo hysterical. I need to get seasons 1&2 on dvd b/c i didn't get to watch them in full.

Right now I am in the middle of a One Tree Hill Super Marathon! In the past few weeks I have gotten up to the middle of season 3 on dvd. Season 4 comes out on Tuesday and season 5 starts in January I think so I need to get caught up. It's a very good show. I never really gave it a chance, probably b/c I knew I would want to waste 3 weeks watching Non-stop Tree Hill at some point in my life.

Anyway, It's also nice to see that there was a 4400 fan amongs us. LOVE that show. Can't wait for the last season to come out on dvd. That's another show I watch exclusively on dvd when they come out.

ok here's my list:

24 (seasons 1-4)
One Tree Hill (1-3)
4400 (1-3)
Grey's Anatomy (1)
Footballers Wives (1-3)
Oz (1-3)
Arrested Development (1-3)
Prison Break (1-2)
Friends (6)
Roseanne (7-8)
Will & Grace (1)
Sports Night (series)
Nip/Tuck (1-3)
Blind Date (best of)
Mr. Show (1)
The Office (1)
Family Guy (season 3 Vol 1)
Queer as Folk (1-2)
The Wire (1)
Soap (1-4)
Six Feet Under (1)
Gilmore Girls (1,3-5)
Posted by: Dax Dec 17 2007, 02:31 AM

BL - I'm anxious to get those Sesame Street sets, myself.

Don't be torn about buying dvds (or watching episodes on-line, either). It's not OUR fault, and boycotting the product isn't the way to show our support. Show that we WANT the product... a better deal will eventually get made. We hope. (Mass-audiences rejecting the soon-to-be almost-all-reality line-up WILL be a fine way to show the studios we need scripted content... but I'm sorry, I will be watching Big Brother...)

Like Scorpio, I've still got to get the last three Oz sets.
Posted by: ~sam~ Dec 17 2007, 03:25 PM

QUOTE(blosslover @ Dec 16 2007, 10:33 PM) *
Don't laugh by the DVD set, I've been enjoying the most and watching these days was the old school Sesame Street. Anything that allows me to laugh is a good thing. smile.gif

Now that my nieces have finally developed an appreciation for the Muppets, we started watching the season 1 discs I had gotten last year while they were in town ove Thanksgiving. Some of it's hokey but it's still priceless entertainment. tongue.gif
Posted by: blosslover Dec 19 2007, 08:05 PM

I have one disk left of Sesame Street set 1, one disk of Muppet Show season 1 and all of Muppet Show season two.

I'm bumming right now due to the cancellation of The 4400. UGH...

BL (who will be watching unscripted stuff, as she would watch it along with the scripted shows...but without the scripted shows, it just means less television viewing.)
Posted by: ~sam~ Dec 19 2007, 08:26 PM

QUOTE(blosslover @ Dec 19 2007, 07:05 PM) *
I'm bumming right now due to the cancellation of The 4400. UGH...

WHAAAAT??? Say it ain't so!
Posted by: blosslover Dec 19 2007, 11:35 PM

The news about The 4400 was on TVGuide.com. http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Updated-Usa-Expresses/800029520 This article talks about the cancellations of The 4400 and The Dead Zone.
Posted by: ScorpioWW Dec 20 2007, 01:56 PM

Oh man! What a bummer! I'm going to miss the 4400. I really think they could have done a better job with publicity for this show though. It's such a great show with a great cast yet it is on so late at night most of the time and hardly repeated. I never even see commercials for it or hear it hyped anywhere. Oh well. Maybe another network will pick it up. Doubt it though.
Posted by: Dax Dec 20 2007, 03:09 PM

It had a Sunday 9pm timeslot, and was heavily promoted on USA and elsewhere... I never watched it, but it was always easy to know when it was on...

Four seasons. 44 episodes (I think that's kind of a funny coincidence -- 44 episodes for The 4400...)