Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rock Star Inxs
Topic Started: Dec 31 2007, 08:23 AM (387 Views)
Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]

Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
The Buzz _ Primetime TV _ Rockstar INXS
Posted by: Cheryl Dec 9 2007, 10:14 PM

Oh, how I wish we had the old board so I could once again revive our old Rockstar thread. LOL!

So anyway, guess who is doing a two week solo acoustic tour and decided for some strange reason to come to MY home town to perform? Yes, you guessed it--Mr. Marty Casey himself.......da Man! Looking cuter than ever and sounding awesome and my hubby (bless his heart) was sweet enough to accompany me to one of the 'dive-iest' of dives to hear him play last night. I have to say that the whole experience was rather strange and surreal. The venue was really tiny and I was lucky enough to snag a table right in front where I was probably six feet away from Marty the entire performance. It was just Marty, a guitar, and a microphone and basically he took requests from the audience and there was a LOT of back and forth with the audience and he invited questions and it was just really FUN.

He started off with Mr. Brightside and told us how they decided to do the song acoustic 10 minutes before the performance on show night. He said the decision was made between himself and Mark Burnett because he was playing it for Mark Burnett who really liked it and said he should play it like that for the show and Marty said he was scared shitless but knew he had to do something to break away from the pack so he said okay, he would do it. He said it was amazing to see about 50 people all in the space of 10 minutes changing lighting and cables and sound equipment all at the snap of Mark Burnett's fingers.

When asked what was the most difficult week/performance he said without a doubt it was the Britney song--Hit Me Baby One More Time (which he played afterward). He said everyone was telling him that he was too serious and they wanted him to 'be funny' with the song but that there was no way.....he wanted to take it the complete opposite direction. He said that he spent five hours working on the song one night while the rest of the rockers all went to Dave Navarro's bar and partied (he said there was much drama when they all returned all drunk.....lol) and that it really paid off and that he really needed the peace and quiet for a change.

When asked if he still keeps in touch with any of the rockers he said he is probably the closest to Neil (remember the Mick Jagger lookalike?). He also keeps in touch with Suzy McNeil and Jordis. About Jordis he was like....."I still love that girl" and talked about how awesome a singer she is. He said Suzy just released some Christmas song using lyrics he had written without even asking him first but that he wasn't pissed off. He was like laughing when he goes....."Thanks for asking!" laugh.gif

He did a positively awesome rendition of Creep and also Wish You Were Here. A local musician came up and played guitar with him on WYWH which made it even more special. The last song of the night was Trees and the same local musician's wife got up (totally impromptu) and played guitar on that one.....it sounded great and of course the entire audience was singing on that one. I just gotta say that he is STILL such a sweetheart. So personable and a natural born storyteller. It was totally worth hanging out in that dive (and I'm being kind!) for a few hours just to see him and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Here's a list of tour dates for the rest of the tour:

http://www.martycasey.org/News.html

And here's a couple of pics we took:

Singing Mr. Brightside:

Marty and me wub.gif

Posted by: blosslover Dec 9 2007, 10:32 PM

Cheryl that's awesome. Thanks for sharing your experience seeing Marty up close and personal. The fact that it was just him and a guitar had to have been thrilling.

BL
Posted by: Lisa Dec 9 2007, 11:25 PM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Cheryl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you that you got to meet your Rockstar TV Boyfriend up close and personal!!

I am also jealous......

Of your tan girlfriend....looks like you had a fun and busy summer icecream.gif

I wish we had our old thread, can you IMAGINE what it would be up to by now??
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 10 2007, 09:06 AM

OMG how wonderful Cheryl! LOVE the picture of you and Marty. You look very cute together. bunny1.gif

I tried to resurrect the old Rockstar INXS thread but only came up with the SuperNova one. Sorry buddy!
Posted by: Dax Dec 10 2007, 04:38 PM

Great story. Sounds like a really cool guy...

Trees will be stuck in my head for awhile now, I'm sure.
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 10 2007, 05:18 PM

QUOTE(Dax @ Dec 10 2007, 04:38 PM) *
Trees will be stuck in my head for awhile now, I'm sure.

I've been singing 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' all day long ... real slow ... Marty style. icecream.gif
Posted by: Cheryl Dec 10 2007, 07:13 PM

Haha.....you guys are funny. Trees was always my least favorite of his songs but it was pretty fun that night singing it along with a bunch of drunk, happy people. It was a nice, nostalgic moment. He played a few Lovehammer songs off of their latest album and also a couple of new songs he had recently written which I thought sounded pretty good. One of them was called Skinny White Guitar Player.....lol. But most of his songs seem to be about old girlfriends and relationships and are rather dark. If he ever gets REALLY famous, he would be fabulous on MTV's Storytellers because he's a natural.

Lisa--the tan comes in a little box I buy at Walgreens called Loreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes. laugh.gif Glad it looks real though! I hate the sun anymore.....it has wreaked havoc on my fair skin living down here in the tropics practically my entire life. Not good!

Yeah......I wonder how many pages that ol' thread would be up to by now. You see? It just can NEVER die! smile.gif

Posted by: ItsAllAboutMe Dec 11 2007, 09:41 AM

The old thread is gone? Bummer. That was my home on this board. Much like my real home. One I never visit but once a year but always feel welcome when I do. thumbsup.gif

Cheryl, I can't thank you enough for recapping and letting me know that you were putting it here. It sounds like it was an awesome, intimate experience.

And he was right about doing "Hit Me Baby One More Time" in a serious tone. That's what made it fun.
Posted by: Cheryl Dec 11 2007, 05:34 PM

Awwww.......how cool is this having all of old Rockstar buddies back in one thread again? I'm feelin' a little verklempt right about now. All we need now is Teakay? Where is she anyway? Probably out on the road. Teakay!!! Get your butt in here! laugh.gif

One more thing I forgot to mention about the performance. There was this really skanky girl that kept walking up to Marty right in the middle of his performances. Two of them actually.....they were buddies. But this one chick would just interrupt him right in the middle of a song and ask him to sign her breast! (Her buddy wanted him to sign her ass....lol) She literally would pull her top to the side and ask him!!! He was like......."Umm....I'm doing a meet and greet after the show and I'll be happy to sign then." OMG! Seriously, he had a fantastic sense of humor about the whole thing and the last song before Trees (I forget what song it was), the two skanky skanks just got up on stage behind him and started dancing (drunken swaying actually) and even reached over and started rubbing his chest a couple of times. Un-freaking-believable! I tell ya, it was a night to remember. LOLOL!!!
Posted by: Cheryl Dec 24 2007, 01:07 AM

I just found out that Marty was blogging while he did his two week solo trip. Here is what he had to say about his trip to Fort Myers, MY concert. I had forgotten how well written he was! It sounds like the whole experience was really positive for him. He wrote more about the other concerts if you want to click on the link. I found it pretty interesting myself. Love that dude! smile.gif

http://www.martycasey.org/blog/

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Feeling Fine; Feeling Good

I haven't been this happy in a long time. I don't quite know if it's the change in the weather (85 degrees in Florida) or a change in the tide inside of me. I feel the performances are more insightful and honest than I have delivered in a long time. It's something about being out on the road that makes me feel at home within myself. I remember my parents telling me that when I was an infant I had difficulty falling asleep. They managed to find a remedy. My Dad would put me in the van, drive around and I would quickly fall asleep. Dad would make a few laps around the block and I would be sleeping like a baby (literally because I WAS a baby. hence the term). When I am mobile I feel sane. My bones are never feeling more settled than when they are in motion while cruising across the pavement at 75 miles per hour.

The bar I played this past Saturday was called Rockstarz in Ft. Myers or as the locals call it Ft. Misery. The club has only been open for 6 weeks and the owner (Allen) really worked hard at getting the word out that I was playing there. He did a solid radio, magazine and flyer advertising campaign. The street teamers were also all over the market selling tickets and popping up posters. The turn-out was great. The set up inside the venue was really intimate (small stage with minimal lighting). The crowd was really interactive and we had so much fun playing off each other. One woman kept coming up during the show and whispering her song requests into my ear as if they were secrets that only I should know. Then she would yell “WILL YOU SIGN MY ASS!!!” really loud across the bar. I told her to whisper all requests in an effort to minimize her absurdity. I must say that this show has been one of my favorites. The place was packed and I appreciate that everyone listened very intently, especially to the new songs. We had such a blast.

I have often been asked on this tour how it feels to be touring solo acoustic without the band. It is a cool change of pace. The set-up is so simplistic. Just me, a guitar and a microphone. There is never any rush or stress because it’s just a 2 person crue. Playing with this stripped down feel gives the songs a chance to breath. The lyrics and melodies take center stage over the bombast of a full band. When singing songs like “Hold On” I feel a lot closer to the story behind the song. A lot of the songs in this set-list are extremely personal and letting the fans in on the back-story and why the songs were written is therapeutic for me. I feel that by talking about these difficult times I can finally let them go and make room for new songs and new times. It is also inspiring when someone in the crowd tells you in confidence that a particular song helped them thru a tough time or helped them figure their way out of a mental mess. I can understand that some fans are torn when they see me sitting on a stool with a guitar and no agenda. To me it feels perfect for the moment. I just want to let my voice do the talking. Geeze that sounds obvious. My voice... Do the talking?