Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Scrubs; Season 7
Topic Started: Dec 31 2007, 08:22 AM (1,402 Views)
Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]

Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
The Buzz _ Primetime TV _ Scrubs 7 - Italian version
Posted by: Aback Dec 11 2007, 06:21 PM

Hi guys!
I'm a translator from English to Italian. Right now, I'm working on SCRUBS - actually on the first episode of the seventh season.

I have a few questions for you. Please, help me!
Gatekeeper has already helped me with some... BTW thank you again, Gate! Hope your husband will be around as well for this second round! LOL

I know it's been a long time since the first airing of this episode, but, you know...!
Well, first of all, in the first episode, there's Tuck explaining to Elliot how Carla controls him over a particular diet. Here's what he says:

Actually, since I'm diabetic, Carla only lets me eat one candy bar every 6 months, so she was helping me choose which one to go with. First, we cut out all candy that sounds remotely racist, which includes all jerk chocolate, and I know this sounds weird but, JoojooBees.

Now, what in the world are "jerk chocolate" and "joojoobees"? Are they candys brands? And most of all, why could JooJooBees be considered even remotely racist? Gate told me he could probably mean "dark chocolate", and that the joke around "joojoobees" is that most people don't like the brown ones. Right?

-------------------

Then again. JD is talking with Kim on the phone in order to get a night off to spend it with Turk.

JD: Hey, Kim. I know because I work we haven't seeing in a while, but do you mind if I grab a drink with Turk, tonight?
TURK: Tell'er my dad died.
KIM: Go have fun with your friend. I'm gonna stand in and eat.
JD: Thanks, babe. Bye. See Turk? Now we can see that dead didine and go to see the new panda baby at the zoo.

What is a didine?? I can't find it in any dictionary!

----------------

Dott Cox has figured out a diagnosis for Mr Hotneck, a patient he likes very much.

DOTT COX: Lyme disease and... how on Earth could I possibly have figured out such a tough diagnosis so darn quickly? Because I'm that good. One more time for emphasis... I'm that good. AHH! Now I'm gonna have this incredibly fun-size intern give you quick body-check for tick bites, tip-toes?
HOTNECK: Oh, she-she's cute.
DOTT COX: And once she has found the telltale bullseye shaped mark we'll be able to start trigging you. How does that sound, Mr Hotneck?

What does he mean for trigging?

-------------

Cox's diagnosis seems to be wrong, and he asks Turk to find out if it's surgery-related. But when Turk examines him, he can't seem to find anything in particular. So Cox sarcastically tells him.

DOTT COX: Oh my God, Gandhidiot. We'd be all be better served if we fill this patient with the creamy caramel center. Then, would you tell me whether or not he needs surgery?

What exactly does he mean with that?

---------------------

Mr Hotneck tells Turk to call him simply Joe, and he's enthused from the idea. So he tells Dr Cox:
I'm so sight to call him Joe!

What's a synonim for sight in this case??

---------

The Janitor is making fun of JD being a self-saboteur and tells him

JANITOR: Would you be interested in seeing a kindative therapist? 'Cause I know a guy, he's good, and he give you his card, then I'm gonna bash your head in

And then leaves. Uh? WTF?
What is 'kindative', and what does he mean in the end? Most of all, why does he change the subject from "he" to "I"?

----------

Keith is mad at Elliot for leaving him just before the wedding, and he calls her
skanky scorehair pig whore

I seem to understand that 'scorehair' doesn't exist as a word in its own right, but basically what's the sense?

--------

Guys, your help will be REALLY appreciated.
If you want, I think you can download full episodes on NBC.com, in order to freshen (?) your memory.
Thank you in advance.

ETA: one more thing. When the doctors finally find the bullseye mole in Hotneck's head, Cox says:
Bullseye!And there's kickpie

As I understand it kickpie rhymes with Bullseye. But what does it mean?
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 11 2007, 06:39 PM

Welcome back to the Buzz Aback! You've been missed!

I'm really happy you started this thread. It should be great fun. I know that we have a lot of Scrubs fans here at the Buzz and I know they are very smart and probably remember each episode without even having to think.

22A.gif
Posted by: Aback Dec 11 2007, 06:39 PM

Thank you Gate!!!

Now, a friend told me that "joojoobees" sounds racist because it sounds like "jew-joobees"...! LOL
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 11 2007, 06:41 PM

QUOTE(Aback @ Dec 11 2007, 06:39 PM) *
Thank you Gate!!!

Now, a friend told me that "joojoobees" sounds racist because it sounds like "jew-joobees"...! LOL

OMG I never would have gotten that. LOL! I'm slow. icecream.gif
Posted by: Aback Dec 11 2007, 06:51 PM

LOL, tell me about it!

They also confirmed me it was 'dark chocolate', not jerk chocolate. My bad there.
(actually it was a typo in the script I got)
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 12 2007, 11:16 AM

JD: Hey, Kim. I know because I work we haven't seeing in a while, but do you mind if I grab a drink with Turk, tonight?
KIM: Go have fun with your friend. I'm gonna stand in and eat.
JD: Thanks, babe. Bye. See Turk? Now we can see that dead didine and go to see the new panda baby at the zoo.

I think it should read ~

"Now we can use that dead dad line and go to see the new panda baby and the zoo.

----------------

DOTT COX: Lyme disease and... how on Earth could I possibly have figured out such a tough diagnosis so darn quickly? Because I'm that good. One more time for emphasis... I'm that good. AHH! Now I'm gonna have this incredibly fun-size intern give you quick body-check for tick bites, tip-toes?
HOTNECK: Oh, she-she's cute.
DOTT COX: And once she has found the telltale bullseye shaped mark we'll be able to start trigging you. How does that sound, Mr Hotneck?

Could be treating you not trigging you.

-------------

Cox's diagnosis seems to be wrong, and he asks Turk to find out if it's surgery-related. But when Turk examines him, he can't seem to find anything in particular. So Cox sarcastically tells him.

DOTT COX: Oh my God, Gandhidiot. We'd be all be better served if we fill this patient with the creamy caramel center. Then, would you tell me whether or not he needs surgery?

>>What exactly does he mean with that?
Well good candy has a creamy caramel center but it just sounds like a typical sarcastic Cox remark.

---------------------

Mr Hotneck tells Turk to call him simply Joe, and he's enthused from the idea. So he tells Dr Cox:
I'm so sight to call him Joe!

>>What's a synonim for sight in this case??
Could be psyched not sight. Psyched would mean excited.

---------

The Janitor is making fun of JD being a self-saboteur and tells him

JANITOR: Would you be interested in seeing a kindative therapist? 'Cause I know a guy, he's good, and he give you his card, then I'm gonna bash your head in

I can't figure this one out.

----------

Keith is mad at Elliot for leaving him just before the wedding, and he calls her
skanky scorehair pig whore

>>I seem to understand that 'scorehair' doesn't exist as a word in its own right, but basically what's the sense?

Not a clue.

--------

Bullseye!And there's kickpie

>>As I understand it kickpie rhymes with Bullseye. But what does it mean?

Again not a clue.
Posted by: Dax Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM

I'd have to see them again to decipher (memory and context-of-lines-just-before-it not helping me out, though I agree with Gate's above suggestions)... if the episode's on nbc.com, I'll try to do that sometime this weekend or so...

Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 12 2007, 01:45 PM

QUOTE(Dax @ Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM) *
I'd have to see them again to decipher (memory and context-of-lines-just-before-it not helping me out, though I agree with Gate's above suggestions)... if the episode's on nbc.com, I'll try to do that sometime this weekend or so...

I don't think NBC has the first couple of episodes anymore but this site has them and they are good quality ~ http://www.fanpop.com/spots/scrubs/videos

thumbsup.gif
Posted by: Aback Dec 12 2007, 04:34 PM

QUOTE(Gatekeeper @ Dec 12 2007, 11:16 AM) *
I think it should read ~
"Now we can use that dead dad line and go to see the new panda baby and the zoo.

Actually no, JD says:
Now we can save that dad dying thing to go see the new panda baby at the zoo.

I don't get this sentence either. What is the 'dad dying thing'?

Could be treating you not trigging you.

It was. A typo there. unfortunately our scripts are full of typos, so these are some of them:

Plus, I remembered this exchange:
DR. COX Mr. Hutnik, I see here you were admitted for swollen lymph nodes and abdominal pain.
MR. HUTNIK I'm also having heart palpitations.
DR. COX Well, I think I can help you with that one. You see, I'm very, very handsome.

Could you paraphrase the "you see, I'm very..." thing? What's the point in Cox telling Hutnick that?

Could be psyched not sight. Psyched would mean excited.

You were right, Gate!
Posted by: Aback Dec 12 2007, 04:47 PM

New question:

what does 'high-end' mean here?
DR. KELSO Speaking of which, uh, I gave you a very high-end cappuccino maker and seeing as there aren't going to be any nuptials...

Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 12 2007, 04:55 PM

Now we can save that dad dying thing to go see the new panda baby at the zoo.

>>I don't get this sentence either. What is the 'dad dying thing'?

In America we use a family members death to get out of something. I know it's a terrible thing to do but sometimes you really need to pull out the 'big guns' (your best stuff) to get out of something. You only can use a dead parent or relative a couple of times because after that people catch on. It's also really bad karma to use someone that is alive. Am I making any sense?

DR. COX Mr. Hutnik, I see here you were admitted for swollen lymph nodes and abdominal pain.
MR. HUTNIK I'm also having heart palpitations.
DR. COX Well, I think I can help you with that one. You see, I'm very, very handsome.

>>Could you paraphrase the "you see, I'm very..." thing? What's the point in Cox telling Hutnick that?

Well someone is handsome the heart can speed up with excitement. So Cox is being cocky (arrogant) and saying he is 'good looking' and that is why Mr. Hutnick's heart is palpitating. LOL.... I love Dr. Cox.
Posted by: Dax Dec 12 2007, 04:56 PM

>> don't get this sentence either. What is the 'dad dying thing'?

Well, going back a couple lines -

JD: Hey, Kim. I know because I work we haven't seeing (typo of some kind here...) in a while, but do you mind if I grab a drink with Turk, tonight?
KIM: Go have fun with your friend. I'm gonna stand (stay) in and eat.
JD: Thanks, babe. Bye. See Turk? Now we can see that Dad dying line and go to see the new panda baby at the zoo.

He means to re-use the lie that his father died...

>> Could you paraphrase the "you see, I'm very..." thing? What's the point in Cox telling Hutnick that?

He's suggesting that the reason for his heart palpitations is that he (Cox) is very, very handsome...

>> what does 'high-end' mean here?

Expensive, state-of-the-art, advanced, high quality...

Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 12 2007, 04:56 PM

QUOTE(Aback @ Dec 12 2007, 04:47 PM) *
New question:

what does 'high-end' mean here?

EXPENSIVE!
Posted by: Aback Dec 12 2007, 05:32 PM

I absolutely love you guys!
Silly me, I really couldn't understand that dead dad thing for the life of me.
And high-end, you can't find it in any dictionary. Thank you again.

Hope you have time for a new question. Look at this:

DR. COX I've got to get that guy out of here.
TURK Why, is he a jerk?
DR. COX No, I...I think I like him.
DR. KELSO What smells like eggs?
TURK Nothing, sir. You're imagining it. What's wrong with liking a patient?
DR. COX I'm not you. I don't get to introduce myself to patients, do a minor surgery, recommend a good mortician to the family and then just be on my way. I have to treat people. And if I like them, well, that makes me want to work all that much harder. And really, who has time for that, right?

Could you paraphrase that just be on my way? I'm not sure on the meaning.
PS. Dax, yeah, the script I got was full of typos. This makes my work much harder. Thank you for the corrections.
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 12 2007, 05:38 PM

DR. COX I've got to get that guy out of here.
TURK Why, is he a jerk?
DR. COX No, I...I think I like him.
DR. KELSO What smells like eggs?
TURK Nothing, sir. You're imagining it. What's wrong with liking a patient?
DR. COX I'm not you. I don't get to introduce myself to patients, do a minor surgery, recommend a good mortician to the family and then just be on my way. I have to treat people. And if I like them, well, that makes me want to work all that much harder. And really, who has time for that, right?

Once again Dr. Cox is being sarcastic ~ He's saying Turk does a surgery and kills the patient and then give the family the mortician's name and leaves. Dr. Cox feels he has to treat people and keep them alive but it takes time and who has time for all of that work.

LOL ... no idea about the eggs but it sounds like a typical Kelso thing.
Posted by: Aback Dec 12 2007, 05:47 PM

LOL, once again thank you Gate!

About the eggs:
JD accused Turk of smelling of eggs when he sweats. Turk said no, but then again when he came back from jogging, he was all sweat (while talking to Cox) and Kelso suddenly said 'Am I having a stroke or someone is cooking a homelette?'. Very very funny.

I must say this show is very witty and clever.
Posted by: Aback Dec 12 2007, 06:15 PM

>>What exactly does he mean with that?
Well good candy has a creamy caramel center but it just sounds like a typical sarcastic Cox remark

I'm still very unsure about this. You should know that just before Cox entered the scene, Turk and that patient were talking about Turk getting a Bit O'Honey from the machine as his every-6-month-only candy. How could you paraphrase the sentence?

PS. sorry, I know I'm being a pain in the back!
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 12 2007, 06:28 PM

QUOTE(Aback @ Dec 12 2007, 06:15 PM) *
I'm still very unsure about this. You should know that just before Cox entered the scene, Turk and that patient were talking about Turk getting a Bit O'Honey from the machine as his every-6-month-only candy. How could you paraphrase the sentence?

Bit O Honey is a candy and it's yummy and chewy. http://www.oldtimecandy.com/bit-o-honey.htm

If that doesn't help you let me know how many minutes in the scene takes place and I'll watch it in the morning if someone else can't help ya!

Posted by: Maria Dec 12 2007, 06:41 PM

JANITOR: Would you be interested in seeing a kindative therapist?

Maybe that's a cognitive therapist?
Posted by: Aback Dec 12 2007, 06:50 PM

Yeah, it was cognitive, Maria... silly typos... Here's his correct version

Really? I was gonna suggest he seek professional help. Would you be interested in seeing a cognitive therapist? 'Cause I know a guy, he's good. I'm gonna give you his card, then I'm gonna bash your head in. I'll see you in the morning.

From what I gather, the Janitor here says something along the lines of: 'first, I'll give you his card, but then I'll hurt you nonetheless'. Right?

-------

Hey Gate, to me that sentence is a problem in the "fill him with creamy caramel..." part. What is that about? Why would Cox even consider saying something like this... what's to laugh about that? Gosh, I seem retarded!!! biggrin.gif
Posted by: Aback Dec 12 2007, 07:13 PM

About the hair thing:

Keith called Elliot 'straw-haired'. What about that? Is it like 'your hair is messy like straw'?
I think it's very delicate because 'to have straws in one's hair' means being crazy or something like that, right?
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 12 2007, 07:16 PM

QUOTE(Aback @ Dec 12 2007, 07:13 PM) *
About the hair thing:

Keith called Elliot 'straw-haired'. What about that? Is it like 'your hair is messy like straw'?
I think it's very delicate because 'to have straws in one's hair' means being crazy or something like that, right?

Straw hair is an insult usually referring to scarecrow like the Wizard of Oz story.

QUOTE(Aback @ Dec 12 2007, 06:50 PM) *
Yeah, it was cognitive, Maria... silly typos... Here's his correct version
From what I gather, the Janitor here says something along the lines of: 'first, I'll give you his card, but then I'll hurt you nonetheless'. Right?

-------

Hey Gate, to me that sentence is a problem in the "fill him with creamy caramel..." part. What is that about? Why would Cox even consider saying something like this... what's to laugh about that? Gosh, I seem retarded!!! biggrin.gif

I'm still not sure about that one. Anyone else have a clue. Where is it in the show (how many minutes in) and I'll watch it tomorrow.
Posted by: Aback Dec 12 2007, 07:30 PM

QUOTE(Gatekeeper @ Dec 12 2007, 07:16 PM) *
Straw hair is an insult usually referring to scarecrow like the Wizard of Oz story.

Cool! Thanks smile.gif

I'm still not sure about that one. Anyone else have a clue. Where is it in the show (how many minutes in) and I'll watch it tomorrow.

It's on the 12th minute. Thank you for your help!
Here it's 1.40 am, and I've just finished the script. Obviously I'll give you credit for your help! LOL
I'll tell my employer that I was helped at Buzz's... but she won't understand... LOL
Gosh, I'm so tired! I need to go to bed. Tomorrow I have French class at 9, but I think I'll skip it! LOL
Goodnight...
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 13 2007, 09:29 AM

OK just watched it again. First the exchange with the patient about Bit-O-Honey ~ the patient feels sorry for Turk for not getting a better candy but Turk is OK with it because Bit-O-Honey's are so chewy and stick to your teeth it last so long.

Then Dr. Cox with his 'creamy caramel center remark' is Dr. Cox being sarcastic meaning he could get more work out of Turk if the guy was filled with candy since that is all Turk cares about.

QUOTE(Aback @ Dec 12 2007, 07:30 PM) *
Cool! Thanks smile.gif
It's on the 12th minute. Thank you for your help!
Here it's 1.40 am, and I've just finished the script. Obviously I'll give you credit for your help! LOL
I'll tell my employer that I was helped at Buzz's... but she won't understand... LOL
Gosh, I'm so tired! I need to go to bed. Tomorrow I have French class at 9, but I think I'll skip it! LOL
Goodnight...

I hope you got a good night sleep.

Posted by: Aback Dec 13 2007, 03:32 PM

Gate, I can't thank you enough for all the help and the energy you put for me. Really, you, Dax and Maria as well have been great.

I finally managed to send the translated script to my boss. It was well done. Obviously thanks to you.
Oh, and just so you don't think I'm retarded LOL: I got the strawed-hair line.

'straw-hair' means 'as blonde as straw'. But the thing is, Keith uses a past participle (strawed). To me it means that the offense is that Elliot's hair is DYIED blonde... and maybe the colour itself is wrong or something... but the point is that people can see that she dies her hair and she's not a natural blonde. So that's the thing.

God, finally it's over. Hopefully next script won't have as many typos, so I won't have to do all that double job (figuring out typos, and then understanding them!)
Ciao smile.gif
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 13 2007, 04:00 PM

QUOTE(Aback @ Dec 13 2007, 03:32 PM) *
God, finally it's over. Hopefully next script won't have as many typos, so I won't have to do all that double job (figuring out typos, and then understanding them!)
Ciao smile.gif

Glad it went well. So when do you get the next script?
Posted by: Aback Dec 13 2007, 05:43 PM

QUOTE(Gatekeeper @ Dec 13 2007, 04:00 PM) *
Glad it went well. So when do you get the next script?

AFTER THIS WEEKEND, I HOPEEEE!!!! biggrin.gif I need some time to relax. Let's hope that they won't fire me in the meantime! LOL

No, really, the sooner they give it to me, the better. I heard episode 5 was quite difficult... Uhm, let's hope they won't give me that one LOL

Did I tell you that I also translated Carpoolers? (episode 1 and 2)
My God that was awful... dumb show, IMO, really. Have you ever seen it? Don't...
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 13 2007, 06:06 PM

QUOTE(Aback @ Dec 13 2007, 05:43 PM) *
Did I tell you that I also translated Carpoolers? (episode 1 and 2)
My God that was awful... dumb show, IMO, really. Have you ever seen it? Don't...

Nope I didn't watch that one. Wasn't it canceled right away?
Posted by: Cheryl Dec 13 2007, 06:15 PM

I think Carpoolers is still on, isn't it? That's that show Jerry O'Connell stars in. I don't think they are cancelling a whole lot these days because of the strike. They don't have anything to replace things with, I guess.
Posted by: Dax Dec 16 2007, 08:31 PM

I saw the first episode of Carpoolers- mildly amusing, but wasn't worth going back to. Was written by Kid in the Hall Bruce McCulloch, so I hoped to like it, but... yeah, didn't, really. Scheduling-wise... only six have aired so far, but it does have a Tuesday @ 9:30 spot on the winter schedule.
Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 23 2007, 12:37 PM

Not Scrubs Italian version but a very cute Youtube video ~ http://youtube.com/watch?v=20Of_mna-Rs
Posted by: Aback Dec 24 2007, 08:24 AM

So cute! I love The Peanuts.

Now, back to my episode: there's one scene where Elliot is trying to make Keith crack up, and (can't remember more about the context) she tells Keith "Come on, we loved 'too soon' jokes". In my translation, I told my boss she meant something along the lines of "We loved joking about your performances being too quick in bed", but now my boss is asking me if I'm sure about it... which I am, but before telling her I wanted to ask your confirmation!
I don't know how long ago you've watched that episode... I can't tell you more about it because it's on my laptop, and right now it's not working (I'm typing from my PC at home)... Just wanted to know your opinion.

Ho Ho Ho (copyright: Santa Claus and Gatekeeper)
Posted by: Aback Dec 24 2007, 09:56 AM

Context:

(Elliot comes into her home where Keith is packing his stuff away)
Elliot: Hey Keith.
Keith: You came to your house while I'm packing up my stuff even though you promised not to be here. Awesome.
Elliot: Well, you know you can't take my word. I mean, I also promised you I'd marry you last Saturday, right? (laughs) Riiiight?! I know. Too soon. I'm sorry. But, c'mon, we love "too soon" jokes. Come on now. Let's see the chuckle. Huh? Here it comes. I think I see it bubbling up!
(Keith looks stony faced)
Elliot: Haha, do not make me start laughing because you know that if I start laughing, then you'll start laughing! Haha! Hahahaha! (abruptly stops laughing) Ok, ya know what? This is why it was so easy to walk out on you.

Posted by: Gatekeeper Dec 24 2007, 11:06 AM

QUOTE(Aback @ Dec 24 2007, 08:24 AM) *
In my translation, I told my boss she meant something along the lines of "We loved joking about your performances being too quick in bed", but now my boss is asking me if I'm sure about it... which I am, but before telling her I wanted to ask your confirmation!

That would be my interpretation of 'too soon' too.

Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas! mf_rudolph.gif
Posted by: Dax Dec 24 2007, 02:22 PM

This one ISN'T a sex or coming-too-soon joke...

Context of 'too soon' here is 'too soon to be making such awful jokes'... since their engagement is just freshly broken.

Whenever some kind of huge disaster (9/11, Katrina, etc.) happens, and some comedians will try out a joke about it... should the audience respond as if they've said something shocking and in such poor taste, disgusted that they'd be so disrespectful to the victims of said whatever disaster... the joke's dismissed as 'too soon'. Maybe not admitting that the joke's not FUNNY... it's just too soon. Comedy equals tragedy plus time. Today, it's too soon... a year from now, the same awful, inappropriate, and rude joke might get big laughs from the very same audience that is now rejecting it.

"But, c'mon, we love 'too soon' jokes". Elliot stupidly thinks Keith may be comfortable joking about her leaving him. He isn't.
Posted by: Aback Dec 25 2007, 04:51 PM

Thank you Dax! That was very useful!

Here I am with another question (I know... the work on this episode seem to never end. When am I gonna get the next one??)

In the second half of the episode, there's JD bursting in among the interns saying "Hello, Sports Fans!". And then goes on saying that he's become a sports fan since watching Hoosiers.

Do you think that's the only reason behind the joke or maybe...
...if you remember correctly Kelso used 'Sport' as a slang nickname to refer to the male interns. Do you think it has anything to do with JD's line?
Posted by: Dax Dec 26 2007, 02:54 AM

I don't think there's any additional meaning to that one. 'Hey, sports fans' is kind of a general greeting, the joke here is that JD is unnecessarily elaborating on it...