Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Beth Ehlers; Off AMC
Topic Started: Sep 28 2009, 06:40 PM (1,250 Views)
Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I did post about this on the AMC Board, but will add a couple of other thoughts here.

First of all, I know that many GL viewers thought BE had a big ego, which I didn't think was necessarily true. Many actors give that impression, because of their position but I seldom think that is the 'real person'.

IMO, BE is an excellent actress, however, she could only do much with the scripts given her. When on GL, she and RPG did take over the show, and both of them became stale and their stories ridiculous. Beth did seem less interested in the role of Harley after her pairing with Gus ended.

Beth's decision to leave GL and go to AMC, could have been influenced by Ricky but who really knows for sure. Anyway, the Gus/Harley pairing was not going to work on AMC, so Beth was paired with someone with limited acting skills. I think her speaking out publicly about JRM/Brot and Pratt, did hurt her there. Plus the character of Taylor was never developed so BE had nothing to work with. I'm not surprised they have let her go.
Edited by Marg, Sep 29 2009, 07:02 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree Dax, that BE was treated terribly at GL for a very long time, even prior to Wheeler coming on board. Paul Rauch made some very unkind comments about her and gave her very little screen time at one point.

Beth has spoken out at times, and that has done her no favours. And I'm sure there are many co-stars and fans who dislike her for that. Some say 'karma is a bitch'. Maybe so, but why should BE be the only one who suffers for speaking out. Many, correct that a majority of actors, have expressed their feelings at one time or another but it's never been held against them.

I will admit the Gus pairing, or following RPG to AMC, has not been favourable for BE's career.
Edited by Marg, Oct 1 2009, 08:11 AM.

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't know if BE was treated terribly for a long time at GL: she sure seemed to get plenty of screen time for long enough--and I really liked Harley. Pre-GusH, of course. The endless cooing and gooing between a good (enough) woman and a very ethically challenged man was just a re-do of Manny.

And see here: I just used two couple nick names. I only do that when the two people in the couple morph into a two headed monster, with their hearts beating as one (either awwwwww or puke, depending on how you feel about such things) and no distinct personality except a propensity to gobble up the whole show.

I always thought BE got plenty of screen time until the birth of her second son and then it was reported (maybe rumor) that Paul Rauch made some very distasteful reports about her wieight and she was given little story until after he left. I also resented the fact Harley was made out to be the 'bad person' for not accepting Phillip after his plane boink with Beth!! Many fans turned against her after that.

Interesting that you compare GUSH to Manny, because it seems to me that the die-hard PAS/NSA fans were the most vocal in their dislike of Beth, Ricky and the pairing.
Edited by Marg, Oct 2 2009, 08:57 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · Guiding Light · Next Topic »
Add Reply