Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Beth Ehlers; Off AMC
Topic Started: Sep 28 2009, 06:40 PM (1,712 Views)
GLFan1978
[ * ]
http://www.soapcentral.com/amc/news/2009/0928-ehlers.php

Couldn't have happened to a better person.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My goodness, now where can she go to be with "her Ricky"? I lost all repect for her when she pulled that move.

GLFan1978
[ * ]
I agree...I enjoyed (never loved) Harley but when she pulled that bs, and kept on with even worse bs when she got to AMC, she was on my hate list. She deserves this.

failsafe
[ *  * ]
I think the moral of this story is "don't believe your own hype."

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I did post about this on the AMC Board, but will add a couple of other thoughts here.

First of all, I know that many GL viewers thought BE had a big ego, which I didn't think was necessarily true. Many actors give that impression, because of their position but I seldom think that is the 'real person'.

IMO, BE is an excellent actress, however, she could only do much with the scripts given her. When on GL, she and RPG did take over the show, and both of them became stale and their stories ridiculous. Beth did seem less interested in the role of Harley after her pairing with Gus ended.

Beth's decision to leave GL and go to AMC, could have been influenced by Ricky but who really knows for sure. Anyway, the Gus/Harley pairing was not going to work on AMC, so Beth was paired with someone with limited acting skills. I think her speaking out publicly about JRM/Brot and Pratt, did hurt her there. Plus the character of Taylor was never developed so BE had nothing to work with. I'm not surprised they have let her go.
Edited by Marg, Sep 29 2009, 07:02 PM.

Scorpioww
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree Marg. They paired her with an untrained actor in an unconnected role. Why should anyone care about Taylor and Brot. No one k ew them. They were not part of core families. Who cares. I love both actors and have met them personally. Both BE and JRM are totally down to earth and cool people. Their story was just too detached from the rest of AMC.

Deleted User
Deleted User

AMC is awful so I'm glad she won't be there anymore. I've only heard positive things about what she's like in real life, by the way.
Quote Post Goto Top

failsafe
[ *  * ]
Marg
Sep 29 2009, 07:00 PM
Beth's decision to leave GL and go to AMC, could have been influenced by Ricky but who really knows for sure.
Well considering she said it was about a million billion times, I'm going to say yes it was. It wasn't a (for lack of a better term) politically correct thing to say, the way she said it. It's one thing to say "this role is great, the opportunity is awesome and I'm excited that I'll be working w/ my old coworker." It's another to make it sound like you don't care if you read a phone book on camera, as long as you can be around "my Ricky."

She said that, and surprise, the writers believed her. And treated her accordingly.

She might be a perfectly awesome person but she needs to be a little more careful about what comes out of her mouth (which I think she has realized). Kim Zimmer and a few others can say whatever the hell they want to say and get away with it, but everyone else needs to tread lightly.

Manifan
[ *  * ]
Beth leaving GL hurt the show and it also hurt her. Soaps are a dying breed. It will be a miracle if she can land another one.

Deleted User
Deleted User

:$ I remember reading that GL gave her a real low offer to resign her contract and treated her like crap. Didn't they also lock her out of the building too??? If she wanted to leave for better pastures good for her. AMC never tried to really write for her and she was placed with a co-star that had no acting experience. I think it is crappy for AMC to drop her now when she is just starting a romance with Tad and just when GL ends.
Quote Post Goto Top

tanyia2
[ * ]
Beth Ehlers leaving GL did not hurt the show. She was one of the many reasons why people stopped watching GL. When she left other characters and actors finally got stories after being backburned.

The only person that hurt BE was Beth. She wanted to follow her Ricky to AMC despite offers from other soaps and she has ended up unemployed.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
As groanworthy as I thought the whole thing with her following RPG to AMC was, I won't begrudge someone for following their heart. It's certainly not the worst of evils. She's had a job longer than she would have if she'd stayed with GL, so it looks like the move to AMC was to her advantage....at least from my point of view.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
failsafe
Sep 29 2009, 09:34 PM
Marg
Beth's decision to leave GL and go to AMC, could have been influenced by Ricky but who really knows for sure.
Well considering she said it was about a million billion times, I'm going to say yes it was. It wasn't a (for lack of a better term) politically correct thing to say, the way she said it. It's one thing to say "this role is great, the opportunity is awesome and I'm excited that I'll be working w/ my old coworker." It's another to make it sound like you don't care if you read a phone book on camera, as long as you can be around "my Ricky."

She said that, and surprise, the writers believed her. And treated her accordingly.

She might be a perfectly awesome person but she needs to be a little more careful about what comes out of her mouth (which I think she has realized). Kim Zimmer and a few others can say whatever the hell they want to say and get away with it, but everyone else needs to tread lightly.
ITA Failsafe, what an idiot thing to say even if it is in your heart. She said she was leaving for "her Ricky" not a better opportunity. Persoanlly I thought the endless and boring Gush was part of what was killing GL. I never liked RPG as an actor and thought he was a little grease ball.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
She never said she was ONLY leaving for Ricky. GL made her a shitty offer (and was in a terrible place, as it had been for every bit of Wheeler's run as EP), and AMC made her a better one.

I like Ehlers very much as an actress.

I don't think Ehlers is a bad person, but she has put her feet in her mouth on a few occasions. I don't dislike her for it, but it probably has cost her friends, fans, and some good working relationships.

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree Dax, that BE was treated terribly at GL for a very long time, even prior to Wheeler coming on board. Paul Rauch made some very unkind comments about her and gave her very little screen time at one point.

Beth has spoken out at times, and that has done her no favours. And I'm sure there are many co-stars and fans who dislike her for that. Some say 'karma is a bitch'. Maybe so, but why should BE be the only one who suffers for speaking out. Many, correct that a majority of actors, have expressed their feelings at one time or another but it's never been held against them.

I will admit the Gus pairing, or following RPG to AMC, has not been favourable for BE's career.
Edited by Marg, Oct 1 2009, 08:11 AM.

failsafe
[ *  * ]
Krystal
Oct 1 2009, 12:02 AM
failsafe
Sep 29 2009, 09:34 PM
Marg

ITA Failsafe, what an idiot thing to say even if it is in your heart. She said she was leaving for "her Ricky" not a better opportunity. Persoanlly I thought the endless and boring Gush was part of what was killing GL. I never liked RPG as an actor and thought he was a little grease ball.
Never mind me, I missed the ITA. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :beer:
Edited by failsafe, Oct 1 2009, 09:11 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't think Krystal meant to refer to anything failsafe said as 'an idiot thing to say even if it is in your heart' -- I take it as reference to what Ehlers said about following RPG to AMC.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, Dax, you are correct. Sometimes i have trouble with the quotes. If I left a job I would say it was for a better job, not for a boyfriend. It made her sound like some teen age ditz not a professional woman with a serious career.

I actually loved the caracter for a long time, but never got into the Gush duo, then as I said lost respect for her in the handling of her departure from the show.

failsafe
[ *  * ]
double post
Edited by failsafe, Oct 1 2009, 09:13 PM.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal, my assessment of RPG's Gus was the same as yours. However, I think the character could have worked if they had let him play dark. He seemed suited to that. I caught a couple of minutes of some made for tv movie a few years back with RPG as a stereotypical bad guy, and he was great. There were some moments on GL when I saw potential for great, but whether you blame it on mediocre to bad writing or RPG's bad instincts/gift for excess cute muggings, it would all dissolve away for me pretty quickly. When he helped host the T-Day parade, I thought he came across like Gus, and I did not like him better for it.

I don't know if BE was treated terribly for a long time at GL: she sure seemed to get plenty of screen time for long enough--and I really liked Harley. Pre-GusH, of course. The endless cooing and gooing between a good (enough) woman and a very ethically challenged man was just a re-do of Manny.

And see here: I just used two couple nick names. I only do that when the two people in the couple morph into a two headed monster, with their hearts beating as one (either awwwwww or puke, depending on how you feel about such things) and no distinct personality except a propensity to gobble up the whole show.

I thought the stuff that BE was saying in the press at the time was unwise. I think she had a lot going on in her personal life and I could see why she might not want to stay on the show, regardless. I don't discount the obvious friendship between BE and RPG.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manifan
[ *  * ]
tanyia2
Sep 30 2009, 05:56 PM
Beth Ehlers leaving GL did not hurt the show. She was one of the many reasons why people stopped watching GL. When she left other characters and actors finally got stories after being backburned.

The show lost quite a few viewers when Beth left. Of course, by that time the Gush steamroller had pretty much plowed over everything in its path. So it's hard to tell if the fans left because of Gush overload or over Beth's exit.

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't know if BE was treated terribly for a long time at GL: she sure seemed to get plenty of screen time for long enough--and I really liked Harley. Pre-GusH, of course. The endless cooing and gooing between a good (enough) woman and a very ethically challenged man was just a re-do of Manny.

And see here: I just used two couple nick names. I only do that when the two people in the couple morph into a two headed monster, with their hearts beating as one (either awwwwww or puke, depending on how you feel about such things) and no distinct personality except a propensity to gobble up the whole show.

I always thought BE got plenty of screen time until the birth of her second son and then it was reported (maybe rumor) that Paul Rauch made some very distasteful reports about her wieight and she was given little story until after he left. I also resented the fact Harley was made out to be the 'bad person' for not accepting Phillip after his plane boink with Beth!! Many fans turned against her after that.

Interesting that you compare GUSH to Manny, because it seems to me that the die-hard PAS/NSA fans were the most vocal in their dislike of Beth, Ricky and the pairing.
Edited by Marg, Oct 2 2009, 08:57 PM.

tanyia2
[ * ]
Manifan
Oct 2 2009, 06:48 PM
tanyia2
Sep 30 2009, 05:56 PM

The show lost quite a few viewers when Beth left. Of course, by that time the Gush steamroller had pretty much plowed over everything in its path. So it's hard to tell if the fans left because of Gush overload or over Beth's exit.
The show lost a lot of viewers because of the over exposure of Harley and the Coopers. You can go back and check the archives of many message boards to see that people were leaving long before BE left.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

nteresting that you compare GUSH to Manny, because it seems to me that the die-hard PAS/NSA fans were the most vocal in their dislike of Beth, Ricky and the pairing.

Exactly: GusH was a direct competitor to Manny. I disliked both for essentially the same reasons: Pairing of a decent (though flawed, Harley more so, and more interesting than Michelle) woman with a highly unethical, criminal, even, man who was very attractive. Woman disregards her own ethics, and her own needs, her own personality to accomodate rotten guy. In both cases, the criminal male was shown to be involved in criminal/highly unethical dealings yet presented as a hero. Over and over and over and over again. Unfortunately the appeal of the pairings tended towards treacly and cutesy stuff--which I find unappealing the first time. The couples stagnated seriously and very quickly.

Now, I actually liked Danny much more than I liked Gus and I think that PAS is a better, or at least, more appealing actor. But then BE is head, shoulders, knees and toes better an actress than NSA.

From what I understand, Rauch is a real pig towards women, period.

Re: Beth/Phillip/Harley. I hated what this sl did to Beth as a character. What was always good about Beth is that she exuded an outward fragility but inwardly, was made of steel, in the best possible way. Harley was her opposite: tough exterior, but soft and vulnerable inside.

I didn't dislike Harley for not forgiving Phillip for the plane boink. I understood it, but wished that she could have forgiven him, especially since the resulting James was responsible for saving Lizzie's life, and Harley loved Lizzie. Also, I honestly always thought so much of Harley that I thought that she'd get past it. That said, I thought that Harley and Philip were wonderful friends who should never have married. I only read a couple of boards, but I don't remember hoards of viewers turning against Harley because she didn't forgive Phillip.

The storyline was hard to watch, painful, really, because it was played so well by all, especially BE. For me, it was like watching dear friends behave so badly towards each other and being so disappointed in all of them.

Then the whole Harley was secretly pregnant with Rick's child. I think that turned viewers off: silly sl with a retro fitted boink. I was one of perhaps half a dozen people who really thought that Harley and Rick could have been a successful couple and was heartily disappointed that they didn't go in that direction. Great potential for fall out between Rick and Phillip--and a situation where Rick could/should have won the girl.

From the first scene that I saw with Gus and Harley, I knew that tptb were pairing them and I hated it from the beginning. Partly because it meant that Rick couldn't be happy for a change, and partly because I just didn't like the kind of pairing they were going for. And I pretty much took an instant dislike to Gus. To me, Gus and Jeffrey were in many ways different versions of the same character, or same idea of a character, although Gus was much better just as RPG is a much better actor, even if I don't care much for him.

Sorry if unclear: it's late and I'm bushed!

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Guiding Light · Next Topic »
Add Reply